Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Robo Reagan posted:

Any way to speed up the clock for sandcastle builder? It's a neat idea but I'd like to play to the end in less than a decade.

There's eventually a couple upgrades to speed up ONGs. This is a game with many paradigm shifts and right now it's really basic, focused on two resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Factory Idle suffers from exactly the same type of issues as the reactor idlers

Yeah, I tried it for a bit and it's basically reactor idle translated to factory terms. No real innovation beyond dealing with research and pivot points take too long to be realized. If I don't have reason to fiddle for an entire loving day in the early game, there's something wrong with the pacing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Poultron posted:

Also interested in this, going to be trying this game out while I grind research.

The newbie guide is probably what you're looking for. Not as heavily pivotal as Realm or Mining and rebirth durations tend to run relatively longer than other idling games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

If I don't have reason to fiddle for an entire loving day in the early game, there's something wrong with the pacing.

Guy hasn't learned a thing from Reactor Idle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, R2 is basically more of the same but faster this time through. It's R3 that the first big pivot point from reincarnating hits, with the addition of Mercenaries allowing you to pick and choose upgrades from the various factions. The next, much smaller, step after that is in R7 with the addition of Bloodlines, which is basically one upgrade that's similar to how each faction operates but it can be applied with a different faction/mercenary group. After that it's R16 and Researches, which is a whole new kettle of fish to keep you interested.

Your focus is going to be trophies for much of this.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

We'll check back with you in a couple days, see if it sticks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eldercain posted:

It takes about 2 days beat crank. It has some terrible design choices early but it does get kinda dark room later on.

I gave up after RNG decided I wasn't going to get the access codes for tech level 3 sectors. I had it running over night to cash in on solar panel research so I sort of defeated the point of Crank! :shrug:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Intuitive would be increasing chances the closer you were to the edge of the tech level boundary. # of FTL jumps doesn't make sense when you've reached your first tech level 2 system and are able to scan/jump directly to a tech level 3 from that point.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you're slowing down with Zones, then dipping into Maps for a bit lets you gain more resources faster as well as the up to 200% damage increase for the same zone. This is particularly good for gems which at this point is what's bottlenecking your housing. You want to prestige as soon as possible because it becomes more efficient resource-wise; you can invest up to about 10 levels for the metal equipment and ~5/10 for shield (if you're running Block/Health, respectively) before a prestige will be less HP/Block than what you had originally. This'll be what you do during the mid-game when prices aren't butting against your capacity. Since you're slowing down, it's better to just ignore putting a lot of levels into your equipment because prestiging will be of greater benefit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yes. It increases your trimps/sec (less downtime between fights if you're not blocking all the damage), increases the number of trimps harvesting resources and eventually you'll need to reach 3x the number of trimps battling to increase Coordination.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I thought it used the last hero you clicked on as basically the hero to focus on and if there was cash at the end of upgrading them it would be pushed out to the rest of the heroes. Highlighted rather well when you broke a gold crystal and the cash infusion made that one hero jump several levels above the others nearby.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Garfu posted:

AFK + ALL upgrades all buddies while prioritizing the buddy that you clicked to start the process I think. There are higher buddies but I always see slayer getting upgraded first. I dunno

It think it works how Sage Grim explained, buddies

But it could also work the way the other guy said, it waits to upgrade everything. shrug

This post actually provided no information, woops.

Yeah, the formula it's presumably using to determine when to upgrade and what for ALL + AFK is really funky but I've come to expect that from indie games. :v: For the most part it'll concentrate funds on your selected hero and then something changes in the environment and it'll spread out that money to the rest of the crew.

Anyway, good skills to upgrade tend to be things that concentrate on the heroes doing the heavy lifting (turn on DPS to have a look see the percentages across all your heroes, your clicker/thief excluded because that depends on you rather than the game), global modifiers and actives + that skill that extends your skill timers when bosses are killed that Garfu mentioned earlier.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, so what do I need to be upgrading to get past this wall around wave 30k in Infiroad? I'm making some slight progress but not much.

Also helpful is mithril percent chance and relic [doubling|drop] percent chance, especially when increasing levels in the group attack/HP becomes too much for a run.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It adds to their levels. So if you have 5 levels in your Hero's ATK relic and get two more on a run, it's automatically level 7 when you reach the upgrade relic screen.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Indecisive posted:

still haven't got the time extender :( so im just using ninjas to speed through the poo poo zones and popping all cooldowns with the basic duration extending thing and chewing thru a couple thousand levels with snipers in 40 seconds, once i get the extender game's probably over

E: nevermind got the time extender very next run and outdoing my old run in under 2 minutes, its over

Yeah, same, Sand of Time (a little bottle) and now I'm screaming through the ranks with maxed timers.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The post-Sands of Time game is way more fun. Numbers go UP and I'm resetting constantly just because it feels good, whether or not it's optimal (is it?)

Also pleasurable is watching a wave of heroes smash through the second to last enemy group before the boss like some runaway freight train, murder the boss outright and then they slam through the next handful of areas without slowing down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tracula posted:

In Infiroad if I pick up a relic that's already maxed out do I get the mythril refunded?

NOPE. But ultimately the mythril you would get is a drop in the bucket so it wouldn't matter.

Besides when you're blazing through at top speed you're only getting the relics that level up individual heroes and have high level caps (tiered based on where you are). It's only when you've slowed down some that you start getting the other types again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Edly posted:

I'm playing this one, it's great so far. One crucial thing the game doesn't explain is that you get to spend your achievement points on rewards (which are game-changing) when you start a new game.

edit: also I just now figured out that you can cycle through a bunch of options on the trade post, I thought it was weird that there was nothing to spend gold on.

It's also a very slow burn in the beginning. And no way to sell buildings as far as I can tell so if you did something stupid, welp, you're stuck with some unbalanced resource load!

That said, I'm at fighting orcs and fighting is finally automated so we'll see what happens when I get back home.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Click the right side of the trade post box. It'll flip between buying or selling one of your available resources. You are best off leaving it on selling food until you can build Knights and then switch it to buying weapons or stone to help that out. Eventually fighting will unlock a new resource that's not producible so you'll switch the trade post to buy that. Or not, it's of questionable worth at the point I'm at.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's a tutorial button in the main menu that sort of runs through the basic controls but everything is poorly explained. I didn't even realize I had unlocked orcs as an option until I noticed there was an icon at the top-right corner much later.

I got to the Undead and after fiddling with it for about an hour, I gave it up. It does something interesting with the expanding of options and giving the races different resource loops but ultimately it boils down to the same "get mans to fight things." And once you get near the end of the content, there's little incentive to keep progressing. Undead don't have synergistic achievements at the moment, unfortunately, and while I didn't see all their buildings I stopped caring.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, you want all their titled stuff. 4 or 5 for the new race is about right.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I've been on the hamster wheel of Electricity runs for a while, now pushing into 120 territory.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'd suggest slotting in AutoTrimps when you start successive runs with Balance, so you don't have to be present in order to progress past grinding areas.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The automation options to start are auto-upgrade (zone 60) and auto-prestige (completing a certain challenge that explicitly states its benefit). Automation of storage is hidden behind a game mechanic that you would likely not stumble on without spoiling (Beat a Void map at zone 150+). And there's one last automation technique for a trimp job that is also hidden but I managed to hit it (Beat Bionic Wonderland IV).

I'd suggest playing Trimps without help until you're starting into the helium challenges and then decide if getting the java-script aid AutoTrimps is worth your while.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's what I meant by hidden, for how useful they are to a vanilla player to idle you would want better markers for where they are rather than relying on your players to eventually stumble on them. IE Storage I would have spent another couple weeks past the earliest point I could unlock it if I didn't research the topic for my previous post because the extra time and potential benefit did not meld well with my current challenge runs. I've got decent third tier heirlooms already.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Exotic imports. Boosts really only have a relatively stronger impact near the end of a run and only apply to that run. The imports apply to every run, including the run you are currently on and have rather strong effects. Generally you will want the ones that apply to the world first before proceeding with map-only imports. And then you want to fill them out first before thinking about using bones elsewhere, like on free portals.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah they do, they now have an excuse not to update their game!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Looks like Turbo Town will be the next cool idle thing. You get a randomly generated landscape to plop down buildings that can either provide population, money, generate resources from nothing, sell resources, process simpler resources into more complex ones or provide a boost to production in a certain range around it. I think I have a handle on it after a day of fiddling around.

- Your road doesn't have to interconnect. In fact you can bulldoze one down to a single square and build in clusters around them.
- Movement of buildings is free.
- Furthermore rivers currently do nothing except block buildings, so to increase its utility build roads (they turn into bridges) over the longest segments so buildings can be placed adjacent to them. Bridge placement is a bit fiddly, for the most part you can't build corner bridges except in weird circumstances.
- Since roads are so cheap, and you get a full refund upon bulldozing there's nothing really preventing you from spreading roads all over the place and netting the achievements for total buildings built and utility buildings built. Build interface is a bit fiddly though.
- You can do the same thing for any type of building that you have not upgraded, except there's an extra click during a warning
- Use your early people to clear out your map of resource nodes so it frees up the land for building
- Then early money making is to build a pawn shop, stack boost buildings around it, put all available people into it and have it burn through a significant number all those resources you gained from clearing your map (should be ~1 million)
- Boost buildings have two percentages: the first is the actual boost being provided currently due to the jobs currently being run; the second is the maximum boost possible if all jobs are running.
- The above incentivizes concentrating on your industries because they'll be the ones providing the resources for those boost buildings so they'll constantly be running at max boost.
- Your typical early to mid game goal is to get a farm going with 200 people and fully unlocked, then split your time between the lumberyard and the quarry for building supplies of the next tier of buildings. I got lucky and one of the achievement bonuses was 500k wood trusses so I could focus on my quarry.
- Money making at this point would be between Sampson Supply and Pacyga Procure selling off extra intermediate resources or unneeded building supplies.
- Stacking people into buildings speeds up job times thats starts around 0.6% a person and degrades to ~0.37% at the maximum of 200, giving a maximum of ~74%. Upgrades increase production numbers by some undiscovered algorithm.
- Mechanically due to the above, stacking everything into one building versus several of the same kind is stronger because the resource requirements for a job never changes but the number produced does. Grow Produce always requires 50 food, but you can get better numbers than the 38 produce from level 2 (the earliest you can unlock the job). For example, I've got a farm that's giving me 312 produce every job cycle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

IIRC this was the first major slowdown of my Trimps run. The reason guides say not to buy Wormholes yet is that first initial cost burns basically all the helium you had accumulated when you unlock it. Playing efficiently, your He/hr is higher for the run that takes longer but uses no Wormholes versus the run that does. The next couple of challenges after 40 (when your first repeatable challenge is unlocked) aren't particularly game-changing until 60 and/or take a long time to accomplish when you first unlock them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They just moved the goalposts, now it's getting past your first corrupt Imp! :suicide:

On the plus side I have my first ethereal heirloom from running the Toxicity challenge endlessly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I caught a shiny rattata in something like 10 minutes into the game. The ironic thing is aside from the static shiny (red gyrados) in the actual games this is my first time.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I do like that debates are essentially busy work that barely registers on your bottom line if you're actively playing. Who cares if you lost if you can just bet more from the production done over the course of that debate?

Just don't do it when you come back from idling for hours. Pulling from three decks of various averages does not balance it in your favour.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Toxicity will be the run of choice for a while until you can keep up with Gigastations until Zone 180, which should have you switching to Lead (not Watch, that's more for non-AutoTrimp users). Corrupt will be after reaching Spire and a little beyond it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sindai posted:

No, shieldblock's contribution to your block becomes completely insignificant while you're still in zones that are utterly trivial by the time you can finish bionic wonderland.

With Crushed, by the time you're near the end of the challenge your HP would normally be at least dozens of times your block, so it seems better to just think of it as 3.5x enemy damage than to bother with the special condition.

Yeah this is the advice you should follow for normally approaching Crushed. You should worry about the achievement once you've got an heirloom shield that boosts block ability and even then I wouldn't recommend trying until you have a lot of helium. Being just before the first and probably second TrainTacular upgrade is painful because you have to farm so much for Trainers and Gyms to beat out Snimps and Gorrimps 1HKO.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You'll hit a wall around 100 million to a billion citizens, where you have managed to get all speed upgrades but can't afford hitting 500 buildings on the earlier buildings (excluding roads). I suspect this is the first real pivot point where what is most profitable changes from the banks to all the types that are affected by Apartments.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

I started Trimps last week, on my 3rd run right now, meaning I did the Range and Metal challenges and am currently trying to push to 35 to unlock the 3rd challenge. I set up AutoTrimps but I'm pretty much only using it to automatically run maps and to make sure my resources don't overflow, since from what I can tell all the other settings do some buggy/hosed up things like spend all my food on Trainers early games while actively removing workers from other resources so I have no resource income.

Why do I feel so weak and resource starved constantly? Like AutoTrimps is constantly in a state of "need more damage and health" and I have like 8 upgrades sitting in my upgrades bar for equipment that if I wait for 5 hours I can afford a single one. I have an even split of workers right now, not sure if that's right.

Yeah, you're still on track, as pixaal says AT isn't really meant for the pre-repeatable Helium challenge days. It's removing your trimps from jobs early on so that it jacks up the breeding timer to max out your pop plus looting cells at that point is more profitable than your job income. Having prestige upgrades hanging out is also normal. Even split is fine at that population maximum point too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Work your way into the portal and then a little beyond that to the point where progress is taking a long time. Portal, spend Helium however you like, then do it again faster. Your third portal should be aiming towards hitting one of the challenge marks so you can open up the game and make more progress. Do the early challenges as they come beyond the repeatables (do those when it's easier to handle and you just want to generate He/hr more efficiently). Keep on doing that until Zone 60 where things change rather dramatically.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, 10 is about the norm for once you can fly past that point, 20-25 if you're thinking of reaching Zone 50 (and then onward to 60 from the housing upgrade picked up there) in that run for your first couple of times.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Just look at the opener to this thread and you'll find several examples of good idlers. Most of them involve a paradigm shift or pivot point somewhere in the middle to keep things fresh. And especially Shark Game, the best idler, a good one doesn't waste your time on the same retreaded mechanic before opening up to something you can fiddle with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There are ones that will impact your run as soon as you pick it up (Foremany is a notable tier 2 one) but for the most part they're more streamlining upgrades than game changers until the last two tiers. And until you've speedrun Spire entirely, I wouldn't pick up the ones that start Corruption earlier; you're going to be running the Corrupt challenge anyway!