Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

diarmuidqq posted:

I used lightning forge for most of it, I think. RWS broke for me every time I bought LS first out of the two spell choices - if I bought chanting, then strike, the save would import and read correctly. If not, it would tell me I didn't have LS.

Make sure you pick lightning strike as the last spell (I think). If it's in the wrong slot, RWS won't see it. It's been a few weeks since I've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Crank does get to a point of running on it's own, but last time I played it (about 4 months ago) there is no end game. It's going to take a hell of an update to get me to play it again. It was fun for a while though.

Was going to post a game save, but it looks like I don't have one. And the fact I have saves for about 20 other idle games both good and bad should tell you what I thought of it by the time I got to the 'end'.

E: Forgot a word.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 17, 2016

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Looks like the new RG patch is nearly upon us, along with a Steam release. link.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Found a new (to me) one: Perfect Tower.

It's an incremental, eventually. Takes a lot of work/attention to get going. It's basically a super-simple tower defense, with absolutely shittons of upgrades and prestige tiers. I've only prestiged once, but my suggestion is to spend your first few prestige point on firing speed and a few points in damage, just to get you further into the game before the arse falls out of it, then shunt the rest into resource improvements. Max out interest rate as soon as you can, then resource/wave. The cost of the upgrades ignore the levels you have put into them, so you can get away with interest to 1.5% and buy the remainder. Beyond that, max out anything chance related (crit/bounce/multishot). From there you're on your own.

Oh, skip the defence upgrades altogether. If the little shits are getting to your tower, you're hosed anyway. Buy more damage instead.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

dis astranagant posted:

Once you get to hard defense is all that matters thanks to reflect monsters. This makes it laggy as gently caress while you wait for auras to kill things for you.

I suspected it would come in useful later. I didn't have any use for it up to the first prestige though (lvl 300 Hard), so I just went for resources and damage to smash through some levels.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Merijn posted:

It is and it allows importing your Kongregate cloud save! Unlocked all but the last achievements instantly, haha. :haw:

I imported my save, but it didn't transfer the two IAP gifts I bought. Hopefully that will be added in soon, because the steam version kicks the balls off the web one. One thing I did notice is that the fonts on the building bar are blurry as hell, but carefully stretching the window will get rid of that. I made mine almos the same size as the web box, and it's nice and crisp again.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Eminai posted:

To get the gifts to come over, you need to sync your kong account with the steam version.

Oh snap, I didn't realise you could do that. Thanks.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
To build up offline time easily, export your progress, paste it somewhere, and then import it later. If it wasn't enough, wait a while and import it again. You don't even need to close the app (but you might as well).

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

ijzer posted:

i personally found early merc research underwhelming enough that i just pushed through to r77 with faceless. merc research is expensive enough that until the early-mid 80s you probably won't be able to afford them at e88, try e89 or e90.

I'm at r87 now, and I go faceless from e40-e70, then a better faceless from e70-e89. Then one run with Pagan Lizards to e90/91, a quick run for GB11 then to the Rastan build 82+. Now I'm trying to get the hang of the FUDG build, which is fiddly and sucks.

All merc builds from http://musicfamily.org/realm/R75Plus/

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You should be able to use a single faceless build the whole time. Just excavate for faction coins to buy undead lineage once you affiliate with dragons.

I just use this one:
S135,S215,S250,S305,S330,S1450,S1500,
C250,C330,C340,C400,C1300,C1325,
D55,D245,D260,D320,D1125,D1275,D1375,
E135,E145,E350,E460,E1225,E1425,
A105,A120,A150,A250,A305,A400,
W150,W180,W275,W290,W400,W1375

Ooh, thanks. Going to try this on my next run-through, just waiting a few more hours to get fairy chanting 5, and finish this reincarnation. Or wait a few more days for FC6 :/ I'll decide later.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Edly posted:

If you don't wait a couple extra days now you're going to have to wait a week+ later. FC6 is worth it in my opinion since some merc research builds actually use it. You can always use rubies to time warp a couple days too.

Related sad story, I already used two time warps because I was going to blast right through to 10 days for those same merc builds. Forgot to export my save beforehand, and while Holy Light got 10 days, Fairy Chanting only got 2 and a bit. I did not realise that I needed to turn off the other spells, especially TC before pulling a warp.

On the upside, now I know. And yeah, I'll let it sit for the remaining 3 days.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Cookie Clicker has just had an update, and no, it's still not the dungeons. It's sugarlumps. These can be used to upgrade the buildings to do cool poo poo. Apparently.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/beta/

-After your first prestige you will start getting sugar lumps. These can be used to upgrade your buildings.

-The first time you upgrade a building it costs 1 sugar lump, then 2, then 3, and so on.

-Each upgrade grants the building a 1% CPS boost.

-Upgrading temples and wizard towers once unlocks a new mode for each.

-Temples allow you to "slot" various idols into three different power levels. These idols will grant positive and negative effects.

-Wizard towers allow you to cast various spells that have a chance of backfiring. You have a limited amount of magic to cast spells with.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

peepsalot posted:

Its just a blank white page and a bunch of 404 failed to load resource errors in browser console

It did that to me yesterday. Trim the fluff off the end: https://scorzy.github.io/IdleAnt

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU:

I'm comfortable idling Sky now, I think. Stats in Adventure window are:
Power: 643
Toughness: 660
Max HP: 1,895
HP Regen: 29/s

At these stats I can manual everything in HSB, but not indefinitely. Enough to start gearing up.

I would say aim for whatever can kill the exploding mobs before they pop, and can tank the boss twice in a row. Unless you get a triple boss within the first couple of hours, you are likely to catch enough upgrades to get over the hump.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Just lost my game save for NGU. Had just started getting my magitech gear into the 50s or so. Main reason is me being a massive idiot and not backing up my saves properly. I was originally saving them, copying the text out and putting it with my other incremental saves. After a while, I was just hitting save and leaving it where it downloaded. Turns out this was a temp folder, and I just rebooted for a Windows patch.

If anyone has a save game from the 'can idle HSB' era, I would appreciate it. The best save I have available has like 46,000 max energy, and I had just hit 500,000.

If not, no worries.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

neongrey posted:

I have that much energy but maxed magitech, can easily take GRB, but last time I checked clockwork I was having trouble. If that's not too far ahead of you I can toss up a copy on pastebin for you.

here: https://pastebin.com/uxMhsych

You're a legend, thanks.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Numberwang posted:

Try either of these:

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
http://www.puransoftware.com/File-Recovery-Download.html

Both are free and actually work.

Do a full scan, then sort by either size or file name. Since the file size is so small you can export to your current drive, but I'd use a thumb drive anyway if you have it...

I did try an undelete, but out of 50+ saves, the only one it could find was #14.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU 0.318:
I didn't see this one reported, but in the Yggdrasil section the pomegranite says it need 300,000 to start but I have 1, so I guess this is missing a zero and should be 3M. Also this took me a while to notice because there are no dividers in some of the numbers, such as the Yggdrasil stuff.

I'm also showing rebirth number as 1 when I have 1.4M blood magic boost. Hopefully this is just visual, but I'll make sure to save before I rebirth.

Edit: Removed like 6 superfluous commas.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

pixaal posted:

Its 300,000 magic

You also have to spend your blood now as it's setup for multiple spells.

Good catch. The tooltip on the progress bar says energy but the 'you don't have enough' message says magic.

And I didn't see that Spoopy button, so that's on me.

Late Edit: I started playing Idle Hero Defense yesterday, and I'm liking it. Early progression is really nice, and there's plenty to click at.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 1, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU 0.373: I've searched the last 10-15 pages but couldn't find anything about this. I have not played NGU much since release. I had got myself to 60/60 inventory via XP purchases back in beta, but when I looked at my inventory today, there were only 3 slots, and all the gear I was holding in the last ~10 slots is (possibly) gone. I bought 12 slots with AP, and now page 1 shows 3 slots, page 2 shows a full row (12), page 3 is blank.

Actually, since starting this post I CTRL-F5'd the tab and now I click on inventory1 and get 3 items, click on page 2 and get 5, click on page 1 again and only the first 3 items change. It's all hosed up.

Is this a result of me still using my pre-launch save?

I can pastebin or PM my save if that helps.

Edit: I went back to an old save (two months old?) and it's working again, and because I haven't played in a while, I am not missing whatever I lost. No idea what happened though. My offer of the game save is still on the table.

Edit 2: 2 hours in and it's all gone again. This time, I have no inventory slots at all, and have nothing equipped. The stats panel just says 'EQUIPMENT STATS' a lot. I tried the same save in Chrome and it's the same as Firefox (which I have been using since beta).

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 7, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

something posted:

to confirm, you had an old save from back in my preview days? I suspect that's why you've got a funky inventory.

Correct. My rebirth is currently at 75 days. I have definitely played it since the release, but not as actively until today.

Edit: Spoke to 4G in chat, looks like my save preceded the item list and inventory changes and became incompatible.

Side bonus: Insane highscores

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 7, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

something posted:

Looks like really old saves didnt get the item list initialized so it throws a gazillion errors. Wiping the inv and remaking it fixes it. I'll have a fix for you when I get back home

You are a legend on multiple levels.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I looked, searched, and didn’t see anyone had posted this, but I’m sorry if I missed it. Orteil of cookie clicker game is putting another game together. It seems to need a bit more active play than idle, at least at the moment. It’s still in early development, but what’s there is enjoyable.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/legacy/

It seems like it will eventually have a multiplayer component to it, also.

I think I jumped on this when it first launched, and it looks like it's heading in a good direction, but it doesn't look like much has changed. Also, because I don't clear out my browser cache much, I have 110,100 years of fast ticks saved up. Noice.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Ignoranus posted:

I'm going to spoiler some of this because it's about a 'secret item' in NGU that can drop in Adventure Tutorial Zone based on how many bosses you've killed so far[/spoiler during that rebirth (at least according to what I read online, and it seems to hold up in practice): The Triple Flubber has a special bonus of "Respawn", am I correct in assuming that impacts how long it takes for enemies to spawn in Adventure or is there something else going on with it?

There is a drop from Jake (stapler) that has the same bonus.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU: I bought the extra accessory slot like 3 days ago :(

Looking forward to getting into beards, but it's going to take a while between autokilling Jake and Megalands/UUG.

Any tips on that, do I just have to chuck a ton of EXP into adventure stats? Currently I have about 10% of the power suggested on UUG, and megalands mobs kill me in 4/5 hits.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The jump to mega lands is a huge gap and you need a ton of advanced training to bridge it. It also helps to swap in stat accessories vs. utility.

Get your adventure fruit up, get Adventure NGU up to its soft cap, and finish all the basic challenges. Advanced training, NGU, and basic challenge boosts are multiplicative, so getting 100 stats from a fruit ends up being worth like 800.

Don't forget that Advanced Training only scales with the square root of energy power, so raising cap has a much stronger effect. I've got 50m cap and around 3k power buffed and an overnight run gets me to 160% or so extra stats (like 2300 levels?), and I'm still a ways off from taking down UGG. Of course that's wearing the Gaudy set because I'm only about halfway done getting mega set to 100.

Okay, I only have 8 basics to go to get the bonus 10%, and I've got it down to 54 minutes, so I'll start with that. Adventure fruit is up to tier 5. So I'm pretty close to downing a megalands boss manually, but it takes a pretty long run to do, so I'll try it after work tomorrow.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU: Just refreshed for the update and did a rebirth, and it looks like my advanced training modifier is still applied (~330%), and it should not be. Don't know if it will reset to 0% once I unlock adv training this run, will report back if it does.

Otherwise, nice update, I like the new yggdrasil options.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
my text dump file is currently at 27 games worth of encoded shite. Most have multiple entries, some up to 20. :/

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

:same:

So many numbers not rounded up right now.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU boosts:

How about have items drop with <itemlevel>% stats. Then have them merge stats on item merge and by the time you have a level 100 item it is fully boosted. You could also boost this up manually as well in the current fashion.

Alternatively, rearrange which boosts drop at which levels. For the candy cane I would hope to be dropping +1000 boosts as it would take 500+ drops to fill out the stats, rather than 5000+.

That aside, keep up the good work.

Late edit: If you can spare the time, could you put the PP total and % progress on a tooltip for the ITOPOD Perks button? That would be rad.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 30, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Evil mode could have some totally new mechanics like diablo/arpg style gear with variable mods, and rarities. This could include or lead into crafting or customising your own gear and/or boost potions. This could be anything from enchants up to full per-mod crafting using rare drops.

You could also offer character classes that you can only switch once a week. ie. Wizard could have way higher base magic power. Warrior/tank could have higher base toughness. Rogue could be high damage, low toughness, etc.

You could combine the two and have seperate gear/inventory for each class.

Instead of classes, you could have specific characters and the ability to assign a team of 5 or so dudes per rebirth, with each one buffing/debuffing the others. Maybe the characters can be the Boss fight dudes that you have beaten in normal.

Basically, I'm just brainstorming decision-making poo poo from all the other skinner boxes I'm addicted to (Path of Exile, various idlers).

With any of these it will likely be about a week before someone calculate the optimum gear/class, so balance would go from difficult to impossible.

Or be a total dick and have it as a one-way trip and in evil mode, it's always the troll challenge. But that's how you get death threats, so maybe not.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
The biggest issue for me with factory idle and the similar one made by the same guy was that there is an optimum way to set up every 'space' you have. You either set it up the best way, or it sucked a world of rear end. Before long it became a game of google 'best layout room 3-1', and there was almost no interaction after the build. Just watch your number crawl up to one of about 5 upgrade options.

Furthermore, if you upgrade a unit without upgrading everything connected to it, your output cratered hard, sometimes to a point that you couldn't recover from. This further cemented the whole 'one way or die' design.

Unfortunately I don't really have any solutions. Maybe give people a choice of upgrades to units (max input, holding capacity, efficiency) that give you something to do between upgrades. Or have module options for machines to handle newer materials without destroying everything you've already made. Like 'The Machine' is a single entity and the core of the game, and everything else is a modular plugin. Prestige could update certain base stats of the machine depeding on how you designed it.

The real problem is getting out of the 'one way to play' mechanics. NGU doesn't yet have this problem as you can approach each rebirth in a number of ways, and some are better than others for certain things (stop progressing and run Mega Lands for boosts in the pre-BDW phase, 5-30 minutes rebirths for XP, etc.)

All that said, I'll play whatever you put out as you've built up a lot of good will, and will get a lot of mulligans.

Edit: Never spelt 'became' that badly in my life.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 21, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Ineptitude posted:

Not edited or hacked, assuming it bugged out because i played the game when it was the goon closed alpha, then didn't play for 6 months, then continued with my save once the game was released on kong and somethi4g had become a millionaire.

Mine's at 382 days now. It's a good game.

Edit: 43 spins left to tier 7.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Nibble posted:

Eventually you get auto-card, auto-gild and auto-upgrade-roulette, at which point the loop becomes:
1) buy all a couple times to get the wheel going
2) spam Focus to get all the Card Progression you need
3) spam buy all to max out the deck
4) Convert

Prestiging and luck upgrades are meaningless right now, since the increasing card progression cost hasn't slowed down my gilding loop yet. I think my #1 wish for the game now is a couple more auto upgrades to make it truly idle. Auto-buy would have to come with some tweakable logic since timing your buys actually matters in this game, but I'm sure it could be done.

For the skills you unlock with casinos, Chip multi per card is very powerful, it's a 40-50x multiplier on chips for one point. At 2 points it might be worth respeccing into Gildings per convert, since it halves the number of converts for a full deck. Card progress per spin was a lot more interesting before Focus was a thing, Roulette level multi seems bad except for getting the achievements, Dice multi per roll doesn't appear to be too powerful, and Luck multi per golden card is useless for now but might be good later. Like gilded cards, you can respec skills with every new casino, so you can test them out for yourself easily.

I got up to 10 casinos, and it dumps all your skill buys and gives you double points for all existing casinos, which was a nice surprise.

Sadly, between this and 33-34 casinos, there's literally nothing else to aim for.

I'm up to 4 golden cards per guild now, which would be useful to smash through a bunch more casinos, but I think I'm just going to leave it idling now until more stuff is patched in.

Before gilding a card, pop open the roulette wheel and buy as much focus as you can afford. I'm at ~130 now, and as long as you are quick at maxing your deck one you have enough progression, you can usually come out with more focus that you took in.

Focus breaks the game pretty much completely. If it was 33% chance to hit focus then yeah, that would be cool, but at 100% it's dumb. Right now, you can set your red/black to red and it will sit at roulette lv3 hitting red card progression until you either max your deck or drain the focus.

Also, always export your save (at least to the clipboard) before any patching. I think I'm up to 3 times now where a patch dropped, I refreshed, and it reset everything but my current progress in the deck, so I have 33/52 gilds, and the wheel is locked, leaving me unable to do anything because I get 50 points per ascend, and need hundered of thousands to unlock the next card.

I think I have a gamesave for every number of casinos up to 10 if this fate befalls any of you. It's infuriating.

Edit: Just patched again, blew out my save. And now I cant even load the last two saves without losing all my progress. So gently caress this guy and his game.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 30, 2018

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

That would make it a lot less broken but the update trashed my progress hard, so I'll never know how much it fixed it.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

something posted:

I'm actuslly really interested in how i can smooth out the jump from end of normal to early evil. What kind of stats do you have right now?

I just PMd you my current stats which are around where Zokari is.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
somethingggg: I was supposed to reach the next tier of daily spin rewards yesterday, but even after trying today and refreshing, the top prize is still 150K AP, as it was before. It says I will ascend to the next tier in 0 days. This makes me a saaaad panda.

Also, I tried evil once, just to buy some of the sweet perks, then realised they only work in evil mode. I barely qualify for evil mode, so it'll be a while before I venture back into that nightmare.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

pixaal posted:

Once you get the first gear set fully upgrades it's only slightly under Normal. The first few levels of Evil NGUs are extremely powerful as they are yet another multiplier for everything (they multiply with normal NGUs they don't add!). It all comes together when you can chain runs using the keep 50% perks for everything. They really add up and keep you going.

There is a down tick in starting it, but you should come out ahead after 1-2 weeks. Normal NGU is still important to switch too every so often. If your Normal NGUs are still low, you should have most if not all NGUs gaining at max speed (BB, when the bar is solid). If that sounds like a lot of stats you are missing something and should probably be gaining more XP per run, it's also possible people are running out of normal content without all the stats they need because NGUs have a massive time factor to them since they are normally running at max speed.

Ah cool. My NGUs are pretty quick (up to 10's of millions in the big ones). I'll give it another try after the next round of seeds comes through.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

something posted:

Quick update for what's planned for .413: This is gonna be a big content update to hold you guys over for a couple months while I work on steam, and also act as a "woo 1 year anniversary" update.

Current plan is to tack on 2 new zones to the endgame and a new titan, add the beast feature/beast perks, a couple more new fruits, and possibly more depending on how quick the work gets done. So far artwork is all done for the new zones and for the beast feature.

Planned to drop ~Feb 3 (since that would be the 1 year anniversary of Kong's launch, duh.)

Looking forward to it. I have hit the wall in the daily spin. It's been at 0 days to next tier for a week and change now (Max prize 150K AP, total spins 374). Is there a next tier yet? I know I was ahead of the curve on this one, but I imagine a lot of people will be at or near it soon.

Another option would be to keep this as the top tier and give a second spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
NGU: My brain has stopped, How do I deal with consumables? It's been months since I last did. I tried clicking, double clicking, insanity mash clicking, and that little guy is still just staring at me.

And congrats, something.