Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You need to get your challenge times WAY down. At e7 IP, you should be able to get your challenges down to around 1 second.

This guide is awesome: https://www.reddit.com/r/AntimatterDimensions/comments/73jhqe/patashus_antimatter_dimensions_guide/

I've been following this guide and things have been going breezily, up until now when I'm trying to buy ID2. He warns that it takes hours but wow nothing has been quite this much of a slog in a long time, started it this morning and I'm not even to the 10th galaxy yet. I'm assuming the payoff is worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
In Realm Grinder, R0 in the Neutral phase before unlocking Dwarf. Is there a way to speed up the initial 500/500 coin trade treaties at all? It's quickly becoming the slowest part of each abdication, but my production without any faction bonuses isn't good enough to excavate that early.

Also, seen a lot of conflicting opinions on whether Titan or Druid is better for pushing gem count at this point, but a lot of the info seems like it might be outdated. So far my personal experience is that Druid seems to be able to push farther more reliably, but takes longer to set up. Titan gets up to max capacity much much faster, but you're reliant on getting good hits on your Strikes to get any meaningful progress.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Sindai posted:

The first and second infinity dimensions do take some grinding but after that you reach 3 and 4 pretty quickly.

Yeah, this. I think I even posted about being at the same point and it taking a while. Once you get the IDs rolling and buy up more of the Break Infinity upgrades it starts getting interesting again, but for the moment it's really just about finding your best IP/min and grinding it out.

Also re: offline progress, you should be getting IP if your Big Crunch autobuyer is active. If you mean totally passive IP gain, the upgrade for that should still be working, but it's only a tiny amount compared to your actual Crunches. There's a new upgrade in the bottom-right of the Break Infinity menu that will eventually give you a more steady passive income.

Sage Grimm posted:

Clicking more often, as each click has a chance to get you faction coins. It's not going to significantly speed it up, however. You could buy Gift of the Heroes/Kings/Gods to skip that requirement but it's really only a problem in R0.

Info is the same: Druid's more consistent, Titan is bursty and relies on hitting certain buildings to score gems with Lightning Strike. Basically what you've already found out!

Cool, thanks. Good to know it's only temporary.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Might be better for certain stages, but I just tried it at e109 IP and it's noticeably slower for me. I've been sticking to 123456711 and it seems to work well.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GrossMurpel posted:

It's also confusing because your total cast spells do count up (maybe that's another autocasting upgrade too). I thought my game was broken when I first got research and the ones that require X amount of a certain spell never got progress offline.

I was thoroughly confused by this description the first time I saw it: "While offline, spells are not cast. Instead, increase your mana produced amount by 10% of your mana regeneration per second." What good is increasing my mana produced if it can't be used to cast spells? It wasn't until quite a bit later that I realized lifetime mana produced and spells cast were stats that were important to unlocking trophies/upgrades.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Wanting to revisit Cookie Clicker was what started me on this latest idle binge, but god that game has not aged well. Having to watch for random popups is such an annoying mechanic, and progress is glacial without making use of it. Heck, even with being pretty good about hitting golden cookies I felt like I was hitting a hard wall way too early and just quit.

Realm Grinder feels like it hits that concept of "check back every once in a while" much better with the mana system, and besides Titans there's no randomness to it. The idea of multiple upgrade paths to choose from each iteration is something I'm surprised hasn't come up earlier or been copied more since, because it adds another really fun layer of engagement.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's been working for me. Check Statistics -> Past Infinities to see what your last 10 look like and how it's pulling the average, an especially long run can drag it down quite a bit.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Antimatter Dimensions has such a good system of ramping up and making you feel like you've reached a completely new level multiple times, it's probably why it's the first long-term game I've actually gotten to the end of. Getting to my first Eternity took about 30 days, then the second took 30 hours, then a few more hours of active play and I got the achievement for finishing one in 30 seconds.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I'm slow. Forgive me.

In RG, I'm trying to build up to 1 Qi gems doing druid runs but it seems to be REAL slow. I let it offline for most of the day since I can't touch it too often and if I'm real lucky, I get 1 T gems in 8 hours of offline. Am I doing something wrong? I just unlocked priority spellcasting.

At that stage you're not going to make any meaningful progress offline, since comboing spells together gives you such a huge multiplier. What you're aiming for with Druids is to get their spell upgrade that makes Grand Balance 800 mana/24 seconds, a bunch of max mana from Stone Pillars and the heritage, then do a combo of: Grand Balance, wait until duration is 20s, Call to Arms + Gem Grinder, then as many Tax Collections as you can manage while all those spells are up. Buy upgrades to the building that Grand Balance is affecting (usually Deep Mines) as soon as possible, as those will give you the biggest boosts for the combo.

That said, I think the Titans/Druids stage is always a bit of a slog, and I'm looking forward to future Rs where it's apparently skippable.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Toshimo posted:

They use druid bloodline for Mana generation, but it's built out of Titans.

I like the Titan RNG even less :negative:

It's not that I don't like playing Druids, but that particular gem range seems to be the slowest. Elf is really strong to start, Dwelf/Dwairy is pretty bonkers once it gets going, Mercs obviously are insane, but there's that weird bit in the middle where it just seems to take longer to get anywhere.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The thing that boggles me the most about RG is that there are autocasting upgrades that let you idle much more effectively, and they're fairly affordable in terms of gold, but they're locked behind hours and hours of grinding mana production. I waited at least until I got Mercenaries unlocked, but even with dedicated mana regen builds reaching 370+ mana/s (before Fairy Chanting) it took me a couple days of just idling to unlock the useful autocast stuff.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Antimatter Dimensions just released a major update. Some new QoL stuff, bunch of new additions to the Time Studies tree, and Eternity Challenges (which I can't quite unlock yet).

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

cyrn posted:

I really wish this game wasn't so incredibly CPU intensive, since it's fairly interesting.

One of the new options lets you change the game's refresh rate, which might be helpful for performance.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Digital Jedi posted:

Currently stuck in antimatter.

I bought 2nd infinity dimension last night and now I'm no where close to buying any upgrade next. At the best I'm making 3 million IP/minute (the guide says I should be making 33 million) and cheapest upgrade is 10 billion. I left the game running over night and all day and I barely made 1 billion.

The next dimension is 1e2400 and closest I get is 1e1700

Should I just wait for the 3rd infinity dimension? Cost is 1e2400 but I'm barely pushing 1e1800

I forget the exact point they unlock, but do you have any Infinity Challenges you can do? Most of them are difficult when you first get access to them, but when you can clear them, they usually give a significant boost to help push past walls like that.

The general rule of thumb I used for prioritizing what to buy then was: new Break Infinity upgrades, new Infinity Dimensions, new levels of existing IDs (especially ID1 and the highest one you have unlocked), and finally new levels of the "Multiply IP from all sources x2" upgrade.

As you get more IDs, you get a bunch more Infinity Power over a run, and it becomes more viable to do longer runs for bigger chunks of IP at a time. The peak for IP/min on crunch is soon after reaching a new galaxy, so if you're currently crunching at x galaxies and progress feels slow, try letting it keep going to galaxy x+1 and see what the IP/min is when you get there.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Digital Jedi posted:

Yes. So I didn't have the infinity challenges unlocked. Trying it now but stalling hard at 86% but I'll keep working on it. The main guide shows the challenge is after getting the 3rd infinity dimension.

I don't really get how to figure that how with how fast the game goes. I'll have to keep tweaking things around. I mainly just let it run as fast as it can as oppose to longer runs. They never seemed like they produced much more.

I'd probably follow the guide then, sometimes a challenge that takes hours where you're at will take just minutes after unlocking the next ID.

On the Big Crunch button, it should show you the current IP/min if you crunch now, and the peak IP/min that you've reached this infinity. So say you hit 15 galaxies - after you max out your dimboosts again, you'll have a much higher antimatter total than at your last galaxy, and you'll see the peak IP/min bump up, meaning you're currently at the highest IP/min you've seen so far. But there's another peak waiting after you hit galaxy 16, and galaxy 17, and so forth.

The limiting factor is that the time it takes to reach the next galaxy goes up exponentially, so you might hit galaxy 15 at 3 minutes, 16 at 10 minutes, 17 at 30 minutes, etc. At some point, reaching the next galaxy will take so much time that it won't increase your peak rate anymore, at which point you've found your limit. The more IDs you unlock, the more Infinity Power over time you get, which helps you push those boundaries further. Just having unlocked ID2, it's probably a good time to check out your peak IP/min as you hit higher galaxy numbers and see which one is optimal for now.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
No problem! Meanwhile I feel like I'm making glacial progress through the time studies tree at this point, averaging about 100 B EP/min and the next EP multiplier upgrade is at 390 T. I'm using the right side of both three-way forks, doing long runs of about 2.5 hours. It seems to be faster than taking the other branches and doing short runs, but I feel like either I'm missing some better setup or this is just a huge grind from here.

Also, Realm Grinder, just unlocked bloodlines at R7. Is it worth using anything but Elven bloodline for a normal progression (Elf-Titan/Druid-Dwelf-Merc)? Getting hundreds of thousands of FCs just a couple minutes into a run seems insane.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah you've got it. For the third one, if you look in the info/stats panel it needs to show 36h this game. When you reach each condition you'll see a new upgrade become available that you'll want to purchase.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah; and that benefit kind of dies out over time as you get more passive faction coin bonuses I think. At the point I'm at even just a few tax collections would give me enough faction coins off the bat.

Since I hit R7 and bloodlines I've never had to wait more than like 10 seconds on FCs with Elf. That lets you get to Merc phase easily without needing to excavate, so if you want to do a build with another bloodline, FCs are still easy to get. It was a major speed bump on all my prior runs and I'm glad it's done.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
That sounds ideal though, just as you've mastered something you get something new to learn. If you just had the same thing you already knew for a long time it'd just be coasting (which I guess is not unusual for an idle game though).

The prestige factions are one of the better design points in RG because it's fun to figure out how they mesh with the base factions. It's a great lead-in to figuring out how upgrades can synergize to prep you for Mercs, too.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Captain Foo posted:

most of the challenges aren't going to be done on the first R you're eligible for them.

I've been stubbornly trying to do them all ASAP. So far Drow 2 was the worst, but I just left it overnight to build up the spell bonuses and got it eventually.

Many of the challenges are actually pretty neat, but some are just trivial or kinda dumb. Undead 1 was my least favorite, the "challenge" is just to wait half a day :geno:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I just unlocked research in RG. Is there any way you're supposed to be able to puzzle out these unlock conditions yourself, or is it just one of those "use a guide" moments? Kind of disappointing if so, I felt like I was starting to get the hang of things and needing to rely on guides less before this.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Be aware that Contingency costs 500 Qad coins though, so don't go through that long grind if you can't afford that yet. But yeah at some point if you can let it idle for a long while, set up an Angels run with as much mana regen as possible and just autocast Tax Collection to unlock those upgrades and some trophies related to total # of spells cast.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I assumed it was just there to save you 10 clicks to buy the first Farm or the Speedrun upgrade.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Antimatter Dimensions: I spent like a day waiting on Eternity Challenge 1, finally got my big crunch number to e1800 and hit it, but apparently the IP multiplier autobuyer fired before it could register the challenge complete and now I'm stuck at e1799 :negative:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
What are Warpers supposed to do? I built one and put a bunch of other stuff next to it, and they turned blue but I can't tell if anything changed.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Realm Grinder gets the most discussion simply because there are lots of different options available at any given time. Antimatter is still fun and just had a major content drop, but comparatively it's extremely linear (get upgrades to get more power to beat the next challenge to get more power to get more upgrades) so there's not as much to discuss.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Research is great because there can be a bunch of mini-tiers of progress. At a certain gem count you might not be able to access the full range of research upgrades, so the optimal build for that point might be different than the best one when you're closer to the end of the R.

That said, I've been using a lot of Fairies (Fairy bloodline) and Demons (Titan bloodline) and they're doing well for me. I just unlocked neutral research but haven't been super impressed with them yet, mostly because the research upgrades don't seem to mesh too well with the Titan/Druid spell mechanics.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
RG: I'm on R25, does the free excavation reset not come into play until later? It requires 3250 and at the gem target for the next reincarnation I can manage about 2750.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
So glad that Titans are relevant again :rolleyes:

E: Nevermind, just saw what C375 does :v:

Nibble fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2018

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Alright, whose bright idea was it to give us C375 one reincarnation and then immediately give us D400 the next? :argh:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Hover over the large icon to the left to see your current limit.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Had to dig through some comments on a post about it, but this appears to be it: https://aarextiaokhiao.github.io/Universal-Attractor/game.html

e: So far it looks really, really similar to Antimatter Dimensions.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 21, 2018

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GrossMurpel posted:

You can mostly tell what they mean even with the terrible grammar, but I really wanna know what the difference between a researcher and a scientist is.

E: "Commander: It seems our stars is now producing exponentially. They block my way too."
It's not exponential :arghfist:

For some reason I'm still playing the game, and just unlocked a new character!

quote:

Wishman: I wish our universe was bigger to have new generators stars.

:raise:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When do you get that guy? I just got to my first transfer point (and probably spent it wrong by just defaulting to picking the leftmost upgrade).

Not sure what exactly triggered it, I filled the first row of upgrades and now I'm pushing to see how high I can get the prestige bonus. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere, but higher bonuses do eventually give more TP, just like IP in Antimatter after breaking infinity.

Speaking of Antimatter, I finally got the "gain 1% of crunch IP every second" time study and holy hell is it the most satisfying thing. I have to spec out of it for some challenges and it feels like going back to the stone age.

In Realm Grinder I just ascended after getting all the secret trophies and artifacts I could, and that's also a huge game-changer in a really fun way. Unique buildings and full research unlocked immediately each run? :vince:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The inability to see the magnitude on the time-based ones before buying them (it even says "mouse over purchased upgrade to see multiplier" or whatever!) is horrible design because I basically had to pick at random.

I was thinking I'd pick transfer time next even though it's to the right of total playtime - is total time better? I know "highest prestige power" will be good eventually but it sure as hell isn't now because I have one TP ever.

Right now the total time one is 3x and transfer time is 4x, at 11 hours this transfer and 2d15h all time (I haven't exactly been speedrunning). The rightmost one based on highest prestige is still just at 2x even after pushing my prestige power to 29M%.

I don't understand what the second upgrade in the second row is supposed to do though. "This upgrade would increases the prestige power gain as log10 of prestige power gain increase." :confused: I've yet to see it go above 1x.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

pixaal posted:

Log10 is basically how many zeros there are. so log10(100)=2, you can actually shorten log10 to just log, since the 10 is assumed.

I get that part, I just have no clue from the wording how it's creating a relationship between increasing the prestige power gain and the prestige power gain increase. Those sound like they're saying the exact same thing.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

pixaal posted:

I find so many people have no idea what log is because they forget or remember it being "very complicated" when it's pretty straight forward what it represents

(it's still kind of a pain in the rear end to say know that log2(8192) is 13, but once you get that you need to double the number to increase the value by 1, and for log10 you need to 10x to increase by 1 it's easy enough to understand what you need to do in a game to get to the next value).

Obviously though in this case they aren't explaining what they are taking the log of, so it's confusing.

Yeah most people don't need to bother with log since school so I can see where it would be easy to forget. Playing idle games has increased the amount of log functions I deal with exponentially :v:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GrossMurpel posted:

Has anyone played Universal Attractor long enough to know when "production increase over highest prestige power" kicks in? Or how much prestige power you need to get a second transfer point in the same run?
E: Nevermind, it's 500 power for a 2x multiplier on the production thingie and 1000 power for 2 transfer points.

It takes a while to get anything over 2x on that upgrade. Somewhere in the millions I got it to 3x and it hasn't budged since.

So far it feels super easy to keep pushing higher in one run as opposed to needing to transfer constantly to see any progress. Transfer point gain scales pretty well too, at 220B% I can get 1.3k, but I'm holding out to see how many more upgrades I can get.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Your additional multiplier each time will go down pretty fast, so waiting til 5x each time might slow you down eventually. But you could do start doing something like that and then just transfer once the next 5x feels out of reach.

After the first five transfer upgrades, I'd definitely wait to transfer again until you have enough TP for another upgrade or two, maybe even more. If you're not feeling like your progress has significantly slowed (like multiple minutes just to break ~1.5x or something), I think the TP gains are better suited to staying in a longer run.

The more I play the game, the more it's clearly "inspired" by Antimatter Dimensions (or the other way around, who knows). As you big crunch supernova you get infinity points neutron stars that let you buy infinity supernova upgrades and improve the autobuyers you unlock through challenges. After playing this phase long enough (where I'm at now), you'll unlock the ability to break the 1e308 antimatter stars limit and earn multiple infinity points neutron stars per big crunch supernova.

E: Also for anyone hitting the first supernova, the "Production increase over total stars" seems to be the best of the first row. "Production increase over total bought" is also quite strong, but it doesn't help at the start of a run when you want it most.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GrossMurpel posted:

Thanks for the info, I'm getting close to infinity. Is there a prestige autobuyer that you can set to just prestige every X minutes? It annoyed me to no end that the dimension boost autobuyer in Antimatter Dimensions straight up didn't work if you couldn't exactly buy the 18 or whatever you set it at.

The initial prestige autobuyer doesn't have any settings and just kinda does it own thing, which as far as I can tell is just "wait until 10x". Later you unlock upgrades which say they provide more options for it, but I haven't bothered since after you get the last supernova upgrade at 3k and build it up a bit, you don't need to prestige at all to hit supernova.