Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Does anyone still play realm grinder? I've got a few questions about it and really don't want to use the Kongregate forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sindai posted:

At least a few people in the thread have played through all of RG I think, ask whatever you want.

My big one at the moment is: why do challenges I've completed in past runs light up some times but not others? Does it matter?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Klungar posted:

They light up if they are applicable/active for your current run. Certain challenges are only valid when running as certain base/prestige classes.

Is that the challenge, or the bonus from completing it? That's what confuses me.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So I'm still confused, sorry. I've completed eleven challenges 1 & 2, for example. I'm on R13. I pick elves, eleven bloodline, and only the first bonus is highlighted, even though it seems like I meet the criteria for the second. What am I missing? Do I need to re-complete challenge 2 to get its bonus?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

The second challenge takes elves to unlock, but its bonus applies to a different race (undead from memory). The race the bonus applies to is shown by the color coded background of the challenge.

I never would have figured that out, holy poo poo.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm stuck on R16, trying to get enough for my first unique building

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

skull mask mcgee posted:

I've been playing RG again after quitting a bit before the interface update. Just about to finish up R16 research and I'm glad that longer builds make sense now. Was getting a bit tired of how often I was abdicating/reincarnating with mercs :v:

"Please let lightning strike hit blacksmiths this time AW FOR FUCKS SAKE"

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Does this work with the iOS version?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm wrapping up unlocking all the stuff in the first round of research on R16, am I about to go on another roller coaster ride like when I first unlocked mercs?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vil posted:

Yeah, once you finish with all those R16 unlocks you basically sail through effortlessly into the low R20s or so. A lot of the unlocks in the next few reincarnations (you get access to more researches with more RP, and your RP cap rises with each R) are basically "have both researches X and Y already unlocked" with no additional requirement of their own, so it goes pretty fast.

Awesome. I've only got the 750 fairy chanting and 666 hellfire blasts ones left, so I figure letting it go overnight should wrap up this reincarnation. I appreciate that things change so dramatically, mechanics-wise. It's like there are chapters to this game that each radically shift the way you play it. I'm glad it's not like "run that titan/fairies mercy build until your eyes bleed"

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just woke up early and purchased 2,000 excavations one by one to get this loving sun force thing and got zilch

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ijzer posted:

you can mass buy excavations and have the same chance to get artifacts.

Someone on Kongregate said that chance is per purchase instead of per excavation so I'm superstitious now.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ijzer posted:

i got dragon soul with a "buy max" yesterday so unless it's changed in the last 12 hours it's definitely per excavation.

That's good to know. I guess my best option now is to finish out this reincarnation and try again tomorrow, right?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a Wiki, btw, with 99% of the info you'd ever really need for Realm grinder: http://realm-grinder.wikia.com/wiki/Realm_Grinder_Wikia or http://musicfamily.org/realm/ if you dislike Wikia

I've been using the non-wikia one, and it's fantastic, but it wasn't clear on that particular point. It's not a big deal, I'll just try again next reincarnation! I'll line it up with titans to unlock that research that requires 1,250 exchanges as titan.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Axiem posted:

I've noticed with Realm Grinder, a lot of people talk about like, playing "Druids with Drow Heritage". However, I have a bunch of heritages show up in my available purchases, and when I "Buy All", they all appear to be bought. Does order actually matter with them, or is this just saying "make sure you've gotten that heritage"?

Or is this something you unlock after R0?

I think they're most likely referring to bloodlines, which make a big difference once you get to the mechanics that change a lot about how the game is played.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm sitting on faceless for a day to unlock S305, then I can breeze through R25 until wrapping up challenges on neutrals. It looks like the other "5 days as whatever" researches aren't nearly as good, so I'm not going to worry about them until they unlock naturally.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm hitting a bit of a wall on R30. The titan build that's burned through R27-29 fizzles once you hit 1E112 gems unless you line up with a miracle. I haven't quite gotten prestige research unlocked (got the buildings but not the research upgrade), is that what I need to do at this point?

Edit: I touched it out with dwarf/fairy and yep, prestige research certainly helps a lot

Emron fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 22, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Eventually you'll discover the ideal team comp, burn through to the endgame, and at that point there's nothing left to do but watch numbers go up. It's a fun idea for a game, though. I liked it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Inadequately posted:

Speaking of mobile games, is anyone playing Dungeon Defense: Invasion of Heroes? Not really a clicker but I figured it might be up this thread's alley. Supposedly, it gets pretty deep later on, but I've only just started, on my first reincarnation so far.

It seems like it doesn't really take off until you can get it to auto play full 100 runs on its own. I played (and enjoyed) it a lot and never got to that point. I may have been playing wrong though, I never looked up any guides.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Is there anything specifically I should know going forward in Realm Grinder, having finally unlocked the Reincarnation button? The notion of getting rid of all my gems is terrifying, in that I only recently abandoned all the guides I've read, went back to what worked for me (Faceless), and made so many gems so quickly.

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm only on R33, but it's good to remember a vague path that you take (I do elves until >1T gems, then titans to 1qi, then elves/dwarves until 1no, then mercs until research at 1tvg).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Chakan posted:

The reincarnation button. As in, R1. I think they're a ways off from mercs.

Once you reincarnate, you'll basically do everything faster and you're supposed to start thinking critically about what would benefit you most at your current gem amount. Like Emron says, going elves for faction coins early, then titans for a couple runs, then a prestige faction to get enough gems to reincarnate is the typical path for your first bunch of Reincarnations. If you don't have dwarves and drow unlocked, you'll want to do that before you reincarnate. You also might want to peruse the list of secret trophies on the wiki and pick some of them (namely speed run) up. The more times you reincarnate, the faster everything you've done so far will go.

In a similar vein, I hit research a couple days ago and have just been going through the not-wiki guide to unlock everything but it's such a pain on my phone. Does everyone try to max their research each R before reincarnating? Apart from the challenges, is research what I'm doing till (R30 is ascension, right?)

R30 is about when you can get prestige research. I don't unlock every research mode each time (some are "get 5 days playtime with x faction"), but some are incredibly important. 5 days of faceless is absolutely critical, because S305 is a game changer. I unlock as many as I can and move on, pretty much. The only thing I make sure to do is max out RPs.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

That research that requires 12 hours as each faction can gently caress off. I'm not wasting 6 days on one reincarnation for that!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vil posted:

Which research is that? I remember one that's 12 hours as each alignment but that's only 1.5 days.

Mercy. I think it's D480 or A480?

ijzer posted:

Bad news friend.

Is it really good?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, Mercy is just 12h as Good/Evil/Neutral rather than 12 as each race.

Oh thank god. That I can manage. I can stack it with some other researches I had laying around. I still need the 5 days as Druid one, too.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

The hours played as each faction does not reset between reincarnations. By the time you get this far you should have a good few hours on every faction. Unless i am remembering wrong.

The one I'm going for needs 12 hours as each alignment (thankfully I was wrong about factions) in one reincarnation. It's got the "in this game" language.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Another tip: the ogre may seem lovely, but once you get points in Giant Weapon, he's incredible. My best teams were ogre, Mr Death and magical girl (for heals), skeleton and sword (for the gold bonuses). After a while your merc will be the source of, like, 95% or more of your team damage, so your team build is more about support abilities.

The % you see next to a weapon is a good indication of its long term viability. Eventually you can unlock an ability to keep a weapon through a prestige. I'd try to find an orange weapon with >98% and stuck with it. Enhancing makes a huge impact and eventually becomes your main source of incremental damage each day.

It still takes way too long to progress, in my opinion. It seems balanced toward guys who post on the subreddit.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy poo poo, the drow upgrade that makes EVERY spell (except TC) increment combo strike, that's wild.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You want legendary weapons because they enhance more per enhancement and have more slots for perks.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, but I mean the part where you're getting back up to 'endgame' after a Reincarnation. Like you start with something, go to titans, etc. Stuck right before research.

Right before research I use a lightning forge merc build.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My routine is this (wrapping up R33)
-elf until 1T (one run)
-titan until Qa
-elf/dwarf until ~No
-lightning forge until 500Dvg
-research from there

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

I generally go with elven farms instead of lighting forge because I'd rather manage my farm upgrade than wait for a good lightning strike.

The mercs stage is definitely my least favorite of any reincarnation because you're stuck with multiple unpleasant options.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jayme posted:

I prefer the Diamond Forge variant - you don't get as much as a good Lightning Strike, but with a high enough reincarnation/gem count you'll blitz through it too fast to even notice.

That's worth a try since I'll be in R34 once I finish off Mercy. I need to leave titan running to get its last challenge (WHICH IS DUMB AS HELL BY THE WAY), but I need 5 days in Druid for other good researches. I'm conflicted.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Axiem posted:

I'm only in R1, and for serious, it sounds like y'all are playing a completely different game that's hella more complex than what I'm playing.

RG succeeds more than any other game of its type (at least that I've played) in changing up its mechanics and keeping things fresh/interesting. Every so often, it introduces a new layer of complexity and totally switches how you play/think about it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You'll also need 40 combined days in Faceless and Dragon with a minimum of 10 days in each (for Dragon challenge 3, and the dragon challenges are all really important to get ASAP once you unlock them). There are some major timesinks starting around R42 (7-10 days unlocking spell tiers, 10+ day dragon challenges, lineage unlocks, etc). I'm up to R74 right now, grinding away to R75 and unlocking undead lineage 15/leveling spell tiers for Night Time. Luckily, by R74 you're only looking at around 6 days to max out a given spell.

If I had known about the Faceless requirement earlier, I'd have definitely spent some days idling as Faceless beforehand, since they're not a great faction until you've unlocked dragons.

Holy poo poo. And here I was being grumpy about the flame/horn artifacts.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm on r28 and I don't see any of the 400 point researches available. What do I need to do to make those show up?

Have you added RPs to your research categories?

Edit: oh, I think that's the first level of prestige researches, I believe. You'll need to unlock the ability to do them first, if I remember

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Pretty much every UI element can be long pressed for more info on mobile. It took me a while to figure that out.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Just to confirm, there's no sound on the mobile version of RG, right?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Garfu posted:

So this keeps happening, I was gone for 8 hours:

Not complaining...

QUICK GO FACELESS

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

Yeah I ascended a couple days ago and now everything sucks ):

Uh oh. I'm on R39 right now, I don't like the sound of this. Anything I should know beforehand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

100 casts of brainwave is needed for prismatic mana, right?