Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, I asked in the last video what the hell that moon thing was up there in the sky, but now seeing the full quality video and seeing it up close, it's clearly the Bhunivelze/Ark sphere. You can see the telltale rods and spires sticking out of it as well as its surface pattern from XIII-2.

Still don't have a bloody idea where that ring around it came from though :iiam:
It's just like Jupiter. It's probably just a bunch of chaos junk stuck in the artificial gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I'd like to publicly thank Artix's 666th YouTube subscriber for confirming what many of us have already known for years: that the man is evil incarnate.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I don't get the significance of the audio recording you gathered the data for- is it ever made clear? Am I missing something? I mean, I completed the game, and I don't remember it ever getting clarified.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015
It might be connected to the unseen chaos and whatever's responsible for it, which will be revealed later in the Wildlands main quest. But it's never directly spelled out during the game, even if you do this sidequest after completing the main quest.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Having not played the game, I just assumed that Chaos, Monsters, and A Woman?! just meant Lumina loving around again

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You know, at this point I'd be happy with "Chocolina was the one who stole Dajh's soul all along."

This game series has severely broken my expectations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Shei-kun posted:

You know, at this point I'd be happy with "Chocolina was the one who stole Dajh's soul all along."

This game series has severely broken my expectations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I imagine she laid an egg containing his soul.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 29: You Can't 'Cie Me (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Graveyard of Dreams (Dead Dunes - Night)
The Coliseum ~ Fearsome Warriors
Sazh and Dajh

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gonna need to find ourselves a Sazh outfit now.

Pity that Lightning can't dual wield glitzy glamour guns that combine into a rifle though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! :getin:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
So... do animals grow up or not in this world?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Who knows. The game clearly doesn't.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Maybe a particular one does but not the rest. Game loves exceptions to its rules.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
They are breeding sheep. That wouldn't really work otherwise. Maybe sheep are just special. Just look at them. They are way to fluffy and happy to become extinct.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't know if it came up in the LP, but once you start Sazh's mission he'll show up randomly in the world, huntin' for Dajh's soul. Small, but neat, touch.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

nine-gear crow posted:

YEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! :getin:

AND HER NAME IS CLAIRE FARRON! *doot doo-doo-doo*

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Alavaria posted:

So... do animals grow up or not in this world?

I can't give a source but I'm pretty sure they are also breeding chocobos, which wouldn't work if they couldn't grow up. Of course there's also a few sidequests that allot them horsebirds intelligence and conciousness comparable to humans, so I'm gonna agree with the assumption that the game itself has nor friggin' clue about it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure humans are a special case, and monsters are technically not animals and don't breed, which is why you can eradicate them. Or, if they do count, there aren't enough of them to create a stable breeding population without human intervention, as opposed to domesticated herd animals.

Humans have a very specific reason for no longer aging, which I don't remember if we've covered yet. It's been a long time since I've played Lightning Returns, and I haven't really followed the LP yet. Sorry.

Anyway though, that reason also has no point to applying to animals that aren't humans.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Humans have a very specific reason for no longer aging, which I don't remember if we've covered yet. It's been a long time since I've played Lightning Returns, and I haven't really followed the LP yet. Sorry.

You mean the very thing they explicitly said at the start of the game?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

You mean the very thing they explicitly said at the start of the game?

I literally did not remember when it comes up, but yeah if it did, then yeah, it's that Etro's dead, and she was the one leading human souls, and without her souls can't go anywhere so they just sit dead in the middle of their lifespans and thus their lives don't progress.

It's been a few years since I've played this game and it all kinda jumbled together in my head, please forgive me. :smith:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not everyone can earn the arena title of "Wandering Slacker".

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015
Since you mentioned people not aknowledging Fang's presence in cutscenes during the last episode; I find it even more jarring that noone ever aknowledges Hope's existance. Lightning is talking to him all the time and there don't seem to be any cellphones in LR's world, so you'd expect people (especially the other main characters) to take notice and ask about whoever she's talking to. But noone ever does.

Kinda gives it this "A beautiful Mind"-like feeling of any conversation with Hope just happening in Lightning's head and everyone just politely ignoring her insane ramblings...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Asparagus32 posted:

Since you mentioned people not aknowledging Fang's presence in cutscenes during the last episode; I find it even more jarring that noone ever aknowledges Hope's existance. Lightning is talking to him all the time and there don't seem to be any cellphones in LR's world, so you'd expect people (especially the other main characters) to take notice and ask about whoever she's talking to. But noone ever does.

Kinda gives it this "A beautiful Mind"-like feeling of any conversation with Hope just happening in Lightning's head and everyone just politely ignoring her insane ramblings...

There's a plot reason for this so keep that in mind.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren: Update 30: The Third Intermission (Polsy) :siren:

Datalogs

quote:

A Vision of Serah

In reward for her loyal work as the savior, God decided to gift Lightning a fleeting reunion with her beloved sister. The Serah who appeared before was Lightning was just a shadow, and not the girl herself, but her voice, her face, her very presence felt as real as flesh and blood to Lightning. Seeing Serah again lit a fire in Lightning's heart, steeling her determination to bring her sister back — or at least, it should have.

The fact is, Lightning felt no joy when she saw the sister she had lost — only a cold, mechanical recognition. Were her emotions taken away the moment that she took up God's offer? Has she lost something precious, something she could no longer even grasp? Even faced with this betrayal, the expected fear and anger fail to materialize.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something to be said about how bad Square-Enix are at writing that they need to clobber you with LIGHTNING HAS NO EMOTIONS over and over again, while at the same time she comes across as far more empathetic and nice than ever before, not to mention is far more likable in general.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think you should just go with the most hideous garbs, no matter how useless they may be. That pink feathered monstrosity seemed like a good choice.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You should be careful what you wish for, friend. I just might give it to you.

E: I have to record Snow's section next so it would even fit with the gaudy theme of Yusnaan. :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
We definitely need some of that Cyber SwordJumpsuit in our Schematas.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I dunno, I kinda like the 6AM delimiter. Enough happens at night that having intermissions at midnight would get disruptive, having it roughly on the boundary between times of day makes sense.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Gaudy outfits and silly hats.

Let's do this.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, so since we're in between days and we can't really update until I get the internet hooked up at my new apartment, this seems like as good of a point as any to put up another poll. The next ten or so videos will cover all of Day 6 - 4 to finish the rest of the desert, and then 5-ish to get through Snow's plot. After that, I'm going to to leave it up to you guys: would you prefer that we took a break and cleaned up all the assorted sidequests that we've picked up or jump straight in to the final main quest? There's no right or wrong answer here, the general structure of the LP is pretty much gonna be a mix of Last One hunting and polishing off board quests after we finish the plot, it's just a question of where you want to slot the proper sidequests. You can vote here or state your case in the thread, and I'll probably call it once we finish up with Fang.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Welp, I am literally the only person to have voted plot. I just want to see the boss I had the most trouble with beaten down sooner than later. :shobon:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I have a personal hang-up about proceeding to the final boss without completing any sidequests that can be completed prior to fighting the final boss.

Though I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised this game has a post-game. The plot would seem to preclude that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure he means the last of the required quests laid out by Hope in the intro, not endgame.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, we can't actually go to endgame until the end of the 13 days. The question is whether we want to take a break from plot or just barrel through the last main quest before we start the final sidequest roundup.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So wait. If you haul rear end, is it possible to end up standing there with 2 or 3 days left on the clock and no quests?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Edmond Dantes posted:

So wait. If you haul rear end, is it possible to end up standing there with 2 or 3 days left on the clock and no quests?

Its possible to finish all the main quests by Day 3 if you know exactly what you are doing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Edmond Dantes posted:

It is not only likely but probable. The first time I finished the game I was done by Day 9, and it is looking like the LP will be there around that point as well.

E: And to be clear, that is not to say that there is nothing to do once you finish up the plot. There's still a ton of generic board quests to do, there are ~30 Last Ones to hunt down, and we still have the DLC garbs to show off. But generally speaking, yes, you spend at least a couple days literally sleeping at the inn for 24 hours.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Artix posted:

there are ~30 Last Ones to hunt down
Tons of grinding mobs for each one?

• Locked thread