Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I have to say, this was a big missed opportunity. The point when I really fell in love with this game is when I got to that ridiculous performance while Lightning was wearing a goatee. The bearded lady in the extravagant dress, doing her dramatic dancing was just so perfectly absurd. I kinda wish you could go back and re-record it.

In summary: We need more stupid adornments for these cutscenes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We hear you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I have to say, this was a big missed opportunity. The point when I really fell in love with this game is when I got to that ridiculous performance while Lightning was wearing a goatee. The bearded lady in the extravagant dress, doing her dramatic dancing was just so perfectly absurd. I kinda wish you could go back and re-record it.

In summary: We need more stupid adornments for these cutscenes!

Not to quote myself, but...

nine-gear crow posted:

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So I only watched half of the first game, none of the second, but this game is something special.

If this game did not have the lightning brand, I think it would have been still a great quirky RPG.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 38: Snow, the Level Designer (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Yusnaan Palace

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here's some videos of that glitch I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn5btYbamuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBA9ohzzoy4

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Well, you asked for it. Have some abomination re-colors.

Lightning Returns: The Last Snow

Or maybe he wants to take a page out of Lightning's fashion book.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 22, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They look like lifelike bubblegum sculptures.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Anaxite posted:

Well, you asked for it. Have some abomination re-colors.

Lightning Returns: The Last Snow

Or maybe he wants to take a page out of Lightning's fashion book.

You're good people, you know that? :allears:

E: That last one makes me kinda wish that you got to play as Snow as part of the Yusnaan section or something. It would work for most of the game, come to think of it - playable prequel part where Fang leaves Vanille and the Order, Snow as part of the Yusnaan backstory, Sazh looking for the soul fragments, etc.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 22, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:raise:

GOD DAMMIT!!! :byodood:

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Artix posted:

You're good people, you know that? :allears:

E: That last one makes me kinda wish that you got to play as Snow as part of the Yusnaan section or something. It would work for most of the game, come to think of it - playable prequel part where Fang leaves Vanille and the Order, Snow as part of the Yusnaan backstory, Sazh looking for the soul fragments, etc.

That would be a good occasion to insert more back story, or write their personality better (I'm looking at you, Sazh). It would also be a better way of juggling multiple characters than FF12 did.

At this point, we're almost advocating having each main quest be done with its own character. Make Lightning a secondary character during those sections if you want to keep her around. There are a lot of ways it could be handled.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

You know what? I'm inspired. Let's re-imagine the play and its garb...

...I got nothing. Except for the lack of lighting, the Midnight Mauve is maybe one of the few garbs that would actually look good in that horrible color scheme. Back to adornments.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You know, the swamp-green atrocity kinda works for me. Cyborg Lightning has come from the future to save mankind.

There's a "good" way to farm Soul Seeds that you may or may not be aware of, but it's possible to lose access to it. That would make getting 100 kind of a pain, yeah.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 39: A Heart-to-Heart with Fists (Polsy) :siren:

This is it, guys. You know it, you love it: Let's go punch Snow.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 2, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, good writing is extremely rare in this series, but there it is. Good writing. I always liked Snow, and I can't say I liked what this game did to him, but that was a very good argument of why he became what he is here, and how there's still Snow inside that. Also hey, Lightning keeps being actually likable, which is amazing considering how poo poo she was in the previous two games. Her punching Snow here felt actually good because it was done with good emotion and for a good cause, unlike in XIII where she punched him because she was a piece of poo poo who couldn't take someone actually being optimistic instead of self-pitying.

And the hero line was cool as hell and well-used, too. Snow is good. LR Lightning is good and has far more emotion than she did when she actually had emotions.

Now the biggest question is: can this game redeem Vanille?

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
I feel more and more that Lightning having supposedly no emotions must have been an afterthought in like the last month of development or something. Rerecord some lines, make a new scene or two and call it even.

Like, come on, you can't watch these Snow scenes and write it off as Lightning just faking emotions. She is way too invested in it, way too heartbroken about it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I am irrationally irritated by you not hitting the bonus damage on all those Light Slashes, for some reason.

However, shirtless Snow and Lightning's costume in that cutscene makes up for it, so :shrug:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait does the boss we haven't seen yet not have any kind of changes? I suppose that's why they made that fight such a bitch and a half if it's the first boss fight you come across like it was for me. :v:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

I am irrationally irritated by you not hitting the bonus damage on all those Light Slashes, for some reason.

However, shirtless Snow and Lightning's costume in that cutscene makes up for it, so :shrug:
In FF13 did you see him shirtless except for the time he was injured and had bandages on?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Man, the Midnight MauveOctober Orange was totally losing it when Lightning was kneeling down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So instead of our normal update on Saturday, I have something a little more exciting to announce.

Myself, Crow, Faerie Fortune, and a whole host of other folks will be doing a 24 hour marathon stream this weekend, to benefit Extra Life. It starts at 12:00 PM EST on Saturday, October 29th and goes until noon on Sunday. If you specifically want to see the abominations that I have lined up, I'll be on at 7 PM and 12:30 AM for such wonderful productions as "Breaking DK64 over my knee" and "Playing user created parks in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5". Hope to see you there!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 40: The Fourth Intermission (Polsy) :siren:

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That pumpkin is the best. I made it part of my damage resist debuff schema and tried to have it on when I thought a cutscene was imminent.

e: aw, missed the stream

e2: I found my LR screenshots though

the aformentioned mood-wrecking garb, I seem to remember cutscenes in dark places just being a floating pumpkin at times

a lovely memory

and a cute puppy

Also I've got one of the best Last One somewhere but that might be a bit spoilery for now. It's the cactuar though, so you can probably picture it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 41: A Family Crisis (Polsy) :siren:

So today we're doing nothing but sidequests. If all you're interested in is the plot, best check out and well see you in 5 videos. But I'm sure everyone can't wait to check in with our favorite dysfunctional family, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, so as to not dredge up an entire LPs worth of arguments, the only thing I'm going to say with regards to 13-2 and LR is that I think LR works where 13-2 does not because it's more tonally consistent. Both games suffer heavily from "serious plot, less serious sidequests", but 13-2 varies wildly even among the main plot - For every scene where you defeat a boss by yelling at Hope through time and space, you had two more where an artificial Fal'Cie took over a city and was randomly turning civilians or Caius was killing you because you were aberrations in the timeline. LR, for better or worse, does not have this problem. When the plot is happening, it is deadly serious all the time.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Did I miss the part where Cole finds out the truth about his Father, or is it just hand-waved?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It popped up on screen for a second, Greeter Lady in Red is actually Savannah.

Who was the co-commentator this time, by the way? Unless I missed a video somewhere, or he's returning from a previous set of videos and I'm just dumb, I don't think you introduced him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Who was the co-commentator this time, by the way? Unless I missed a video somewhere, or he's returning from a previous set of videos and I'm just dumb, I don't think you introduced him.

Ryushikaze :eng101:

Also, I feel the need to signal boost this because I only posted it in the Ace Combat 04 thread so far, but, well... Artix helped me sacrifice the movie Skyfall, its title song, and the Aston Martin DB5--all at the same time--upon the hideous teal altar of Hatsune Miku.

I should have know when we saw Pumpkinhead Lightning that we were but scratching the surface of his true depravity :stare:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, I've started to rewatch everything from the FFXIII LP just so I can be up-to-date on everything. Hopefully I can complete that marathon before this LP is over.

Any plans on doing FF XIV when it's out?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

uncleKitchener posted:

So, I've started to rewatch everything from the FFXIII LP just so I can be up-to-date on everything. Hopefully I can complete that marathon before this LP is over.

You mean FFXV, since FFXIV has been out for 4-5 years and has had a collab with Lightning Returns (and shares a lot of monster models).

I suppose this is evidence for why roman numbering is stupid.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

uncleKitchener posted:

A) Jesus why would you do that to yourself
B) No. Well, short version - no. Long version - I'm not going to say it will never happen ever, but I didn't like either of the demos they put out and even it did come out and I miraculously loved it, it'd still be behind about 4 other games in the queue, at least two of which are also 40 hour JRPGs (although admittedly I've been quietly working on one of them in the background when I have some time).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Carlioo posted:

You mean FFXV, since FFXIV has been out for 4-5 years and has had a collab with Lightning Returns (and shares a lot of monster models).

I suppose this is evidence for why roman numbering is stupid.

Honestly, I was always taught that Roman numerals are very redundant (mostly a mathematical and general opinion).

I always mistake roman 4 and 5.

Artix posted:

A) Jesus why would you do that to yourself
B) No. Well, short version - no. Long version - I'm not going to say it will never happen ever, but I didn't like either of the demos they put out and even it did come out and I miraculously loved it, it'd still be behind about 4 other games in the queue, at least two of which are also 40 hour JRPGs (although admittedly I've been quietly working on one of them in the background when I have some time).

I had to since I went back to XIII and XIII-II and needed to see how you approached different encounters. Also, it's good for background sound too.

Also, you said 40, so I'm guessing non of them are SMT games.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, at least you didn't do what I did and marathoned both the 13 & 13-2 LPs while getting the platinum for 13. Though the only reason I did that insanity was because I legitimately enjoy the postgame fights. Now to catch up on LR.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, at least you didn't do what I did and marathoned both the 13 & 13-2 LPs while getting the platinum for 13. Though the only reason I did that insanity was because I legitimately enjoy the postgame fights. Now to catch up on LR.

The post-game fights are legit good mostly, yeah, but honestly the process of getting to those for me didn't seem to be worth it.

At all. No way. I've stapled my fingers for sillier poo poo than this, but the platinum just didn't seem worth it unless someone actually paid me money to get it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Having done this, I'm never going to go through that process again, because that is just too much waste to get to the fun bits. Much like 13-2!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Trying to 100% XIII-2 is also a massively herculean task. The battle system was fun though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 42: Lightning and the Feather-kin (Polsy) :siren:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Oh, Lightning's initial response to Primrose was fantastic. I wish I'd played the game just for that, now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So many chocobos and only one you get to ride.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god are we going to get to play a dating sim with Lightning? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!