Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Since Fedule was wondering, in some myths, Set is considered to be the father of Anubis, through his marriage to his sister-wife, Nephthys. In other myths, I think Anubis ends up being a child of Osiris, or maybe Horus. Otherwise, there's not much connection since Set is the god of sandstorms/the desert, and Anubis is technically the mummification/graveyards god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kobanya posted:

Since Fedule was wondering, in some myths, Set is considered to be the father of Anubis, through his marriage to his sister-wife, Nephthys. In other myths, I think Anubis ends up being a child of Osiris, or maybe Horus. Otherwise, there's not much connection since Set is the god of sandstorms/the desert, and Anubis is technically the mummification/graveyards god.

Well it makes sense for both of them to be around. In the less direct interpretations, Anubis is the god of death while Set is the god of chaos.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well it makes sense for both of them to be around. In the less direct interpretations, Anubis is the god of death while Set is the god of chaos.

Apep/Apophis was the god of chaos though, not Set. In fact Set even defended Horus against Apophis.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Junkozeyne posted:

Apep/Apophis was the god of chaos though, not Set. In fact Set even defended Horus against Apophis.

That pretty much depends on the version. There are countless different interpretations of the ancient Egyptian religion and they changed significantly over the millennia, depending on who was in charge. For example, the main deity was either Horus, Ra or at some points they were the same thing. It's similar with Set.
Set being the god of chaos is a somewhat common interpretation. And that is almost definitely what the developers were going for.
Also it's an easy recolor because Set and Anubis look sort of similar, if you don't care for the details.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anaxite posted:

Dammit, Hope.

AW SUN OF A BITCH!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddamnit Hope :argh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 63: Trial of the Savior (Polsy) :siren:

Part 63.1: The Final Last Ones

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
to be fair, these corridors would be much longer and harder if you hadn't exterminated everything before getting here. There would be some specific last ones sitting in the square rooms if they weren't taken care of during the previous days. loving last Earth Eater

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I really dislike how you literally cannot fight those last ones with Fang around because that would make it "easy".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

As lackluster as this final optional bit is, the views out of the windows are very nice. And I like that you have the Ultima Weapon the entire game, it's just busted. Well, now I guess it's just a different kind of busted.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

mateo360 posted:

to be fair, these corridors would be much longer and harder if you hadn't exterminated everything before getting here. There would be some specific last ones sitting in the square rooms if they weren't taken care of during the previous days. loving last Earth Eater

Huh, That's interesting. Also you can probably skip the fight of the seven monkeys quite easily by extincting them first. You only had one left after that. Maybe if you had left more alive it actually would have been Nine Monkeys. I chose to believe that that's the case and that it is a totally obtuse reference to the movie.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
The Fight of the Many Monkeys is one of those situations where Ultima is actually a good solution, since it hits them all. After the little ones are dead, you can proceed as normal with the big one.

Fun fact: last I checked, the big top tier spells are actually dependent on the raw number of hitpoints missing. Swap to a garb with the accessory from Ereshkigal (+10000 hp)and it deals stupid amounts of damage, since you're missing more HP, even if proportionally you have the same.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So the game saying that Lightning will become more powerful doing the trials is a bit of an understatement when you throw Ultima Weapon at the end of it :stare:

Especially given how there are suppose to be Last Ones in those open rooms you walk by. It seems the game wanted it to be a challenge for you to finish those, so in contrast of having already done that you just walked down some corridors and hit some switches to get the best equipment in the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite thing about reforging the Ultima Weapon is it basically is the games way of enforcing it's balance on NG+ - Lumina isn't breaking lightning's sword to avoid her killing Snow, she's just making sure she can't one-shot him. She breaks the Ultima Weapon to avoid breaking the game. That's kinda clever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Strap in motherfuckers, it's time for the grand finale of Motomu Toriyama's Wild Ride.

:siren: Update 64: Almighty Bhunivelze (Polsy) :siren:

Part 2: The Ending Square Doesn't Want You to See

Music

Divine Love (Bhunivelze Phase 1-3)
Almighty Bhunivelze (Bhunivelze Phase 4)
Last Resort
Claire Farron
Humanity's Tale
Credits ~ Light Eternal
Epilogue

Datalogs

quote:

The Final Battle

God waited for Lightning instead of rushing to his new world, because he was not finished with her yet. He had chosen a task greater than that of savior: she was to be his goddess.

The new world cannot survive with only a god of light. Just as in the old world, there must be darkness to balance the light. A god that gives life needs a goddess who grants death. In God's plan, Lightning is to take the place of the fallen Etro and watch over the souls of the dead, ensuring that they are reborn and that the cycle of life continues. Without such a goddess, the new world will suffer the same fate as the old one has.

And so the last trial begins. It is through battle that God will determine if Lightning is worthy of taking Etro's place.

quote:

Return

Bhunivelze's greed, his lust for power over everything, even human hearts, led to his downfall. When Lightning called out to it, Hope's soul—which Bhunivelze had seized and bound himself to—responded. Hope was saved, Bhunivelze was cut adrift, and his corporeal vessel began to fall apart.

Lightning also sank into the darkness. She arrived in the world of the dead, prepared to take Etro's place and accept her duty of eternal solitude.

But there in the depths, she found herself. The self that she had cut away and discarded. The child she had been: sometimes selfish, sometimes cruel, and terribly lonely. Lumina was made up of everything that Lightning had ruthlessly abandoned when she was forced to grow up too soon.

Seeing herself honestly for the first time, Lightning wished desperately to be saved. And at that moment, a hand reached out to her. It belonged to Hope.

quote:

Rebirth

God's true form was that of an inexhaustible crystal, something perhaps that could not be destroyed by human strength alone. Still, when Bhunivelze attempted to rise again, Lightning stood to face him without any doubts in her heart. She was not the one savior any longer. She was with her friends, and they would face God together.

The hope turned into certainty when Serah appeared with the souls of the countless dead. All of those souls were untied by a single, brilliant wish, and their incandescence blew God into the infinite abyss.

The battle was over. Etro's place would be filled by the Yeuls who had become one with the great Chaos. But a single Yeul was returned to Noel. He and his Yeul would go to the new world; Caius would continue his eternal role, and be guardian to the rest

The souls of all humanity streamed onwards and upwards. Toward a new world. A world of hope, where they could live, and love, and be together once again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Funny how things go, you start fighting dudes with machine guns and robots in XIII to fighting God himself at the end of Lightning Returns, that's really an impressive bit of escalation there.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Just like when I watched this ending the first time the world "Yeuls" is extremely hilarious for some reason. Also make sure you stick around after the credits.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So, the end is so that Toriyama can just delude himself into thinking Lightning is here on Earth so he can find her and love her forever?

I literally just made like a 10 second sigh of despair right now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure "Sanct of Theogenesis" is bad latin for "Holy Place Of God Birth", so yes, suitably overwrought.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I remember having problems with the fourth phase of the fight. I think it was due to finding the attacks too annoying to build up a stagger quick enough.
Also I still laugh at that ending and I try not to think about it because I get a headache when I do.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

FeyerbrandX posted:

So, the end is so that Toriyama can just delude himself into thinking Lightning is here on Earth so he can find her and love her forever?

I literally just made like a 10 second sigh of despair right now.

I mean her final words are "I only know that soon, we'll be together", who else could those words be directed towards.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also someone totally needs to put the shining finger sword chant over the part where Lightning kills Bhunivelze, cause that's pretty much what's going on.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
All in all, I'm okay with Lumina being what she was, for better or for worse.

The ending... meh, a sappy cliché. The thing I appreciate the most is that they put enough effort in the post-credits scene for me to immediately recognize the French countryside.

And now I guess I know how Lightning got to our world to endorse Louis Vuitton! :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Carlioo posted:

I mean her final words are "I only know that soon, we'll be together", who else could those words be directed towards.

Being honest, I was left wondering who she was talking about. Now it makes perfect sense.

We had three games of stupid bullshit plot so Toriyama can dream of being together with his waifu. Amazing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Honestly I would have laughed if someone had read some of the ending dialogue from Legacy of Kain: Defiance, but I get that the FF13 trilogy is far more hopeful and thus wouldn't quite fit the tone. Still, a bunch of the narrative beats at the end felt similar - fighting God for control of the world, that God having a grandiose sense of self-importance, said God being unable to die but very much able to be stopped...

But regardless, great job with these LPs! What are the issues with Type-0, anyway? I recall seeing Tae's abortive attempt at the game, where it seemed kinda mediocre. Does it change significantly from that state as the game progresses?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Wow these games hate Sazh.

And this LP has made me want to play the whole series after suffering through XIII, so god drat you for that. At least I'll have Pokemon, dress-up, and the dulcet tones of Liam O'Brien to look forward to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Type-0 goes a lot of strange places and isn't really that interesting as a game, if we're being honest. The plot is as bonkers as you'd expect an FNC game to be, but mechanically it's a really basic ARPG (like, even moreso than LR), it's probably the worst looking HD port I've ever seen, it's incredibly grindy even in said HD port (where it was actually toned down from the original), but most damningly of all imo, it's built around two playthroughs. There isn't exactly a "second story" or anything, but you are absolutely intended to play the game, beat it, and then come back in NG+ and do all the crazy high level missions that were out of your league the first time around. Plus it does a bunch of weird poo poo like the MOBA-esque bits in between battles and...yeah, it's just dumb. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a highlight reel version of it eventually or something but I don't think I'm ever going to do a full LP of a Final Fantasy game again. :v:

E: Really, the bottom line is that I don't find it interesting *or* fun to play, and that's kinda the death knell for it as far as LP goes.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 27, 2017

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I haven't been taking this game seriously at all, but that was still somehow an even dumber ending than I expected. That's an accomplishment, I guess?

Carlioo posted:

You would hope it would be toward Serah, reuniting with her sister and everything, since that was the entire goddamn point of the game. But the amount of...well, I can't put it any other way than "desire" in her voice and expression combined with her looking directly into the camera makes it feel like it must be something skeevy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So wait.. Sarah was never real? But then she became a real boy... Errr Girl at the end?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that was a whole bag of nonsense. Kind of surprised they didn't go all out and do a "where are they now?" ending and only did one for Lightning. But at this point, that's expected.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, that was a whole bag of nonsense. Kind of surprised they didn't go all out and do a "where are they now?" ending and only did one for Lightning. But at this point, that's expected.

That's actually a short light novel or something like that.
I'm not kidding. It's the story about a reporter who meets these people for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

As if Lightning Returns in its entirety wasn't emblematic enough of it, the FNC development team from Toriyama on down only really gave a poo poo about Lightning. And it was true right to the bitter end.

Also I've been waiting two years now to share this (paraphrased) conversation I had with Artix dating all the way back to the first round of commentary recording from Palumpolum.

:what:: So... The entire story ends on "Lightning challenges Literally God to a knife fight and stabs him in the face, then fucks off to France"?
:sparkles:: Friend, that right there is the sanest thing that happens over the course of Lightning Returns.

And goddammit, he was right.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's actually a short light novel or something like that.
I'm not kidding. It's the story about a reporter who meets these people for some reason.
Let me guess: his name is Toriyama, right?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Let me guess: his name is Toriyama, right?

Let's give him some credit: Mayarito.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
My god, everything is so loving dumb.

I'm glad I just had the dixie horn on loop.

VVVV: I would rather play this than that loving thing again.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 28, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it still better than 3rd Birthday?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Noel got the last one, but Caius gets all the rest of them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lightning Returns and the FFXIII trilogy itself are about building up your waifu into the strongest, asskicking-est lady ever in the universe, with all the bullshit and magic powers and stupid plot twists that entails.

The 3rd Birthday is about literally murdering the old waifu with your new, weak, submissive, underage-but-still-legal-because-plot waifu.

One good thing you can say about the end of Lightning Returns is that Lightning's journey has taken her from "pretty good cop lady" to "strongest one there is", which is definitely positive progression. In 3rd Birthday, Aya is just loving dead.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Let's give him some credit: Mayarito.
I'm not sure if you're genuinely serious or just joking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Caius finally got fed up with all the Yeuls and Noels choking him around so he just did a thing because CAIUS. One less Yeul is better than no less Yuels.

And the only person who was jipped more than Sazh was Adult Hope.

• Locked thread