Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm not sure if you're genuinely serious or just joking around.

It's Aoede. It's a 10 part novella and I hate myself for looking that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm not sure if you're genuinely serious or just joking around.

I'm joking... I think I am. I hope I am, but from what I heard about the novel that's the "sequel" to FFX-2, who knows how dumb it could get?

e: didn't notice that the answer was on the top of a new page. Glad to see they put a fraction of effort in his self insert OC do not steal.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 28, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FailAtMagic posted:

It's Aoede. It's a 10 part novella and I hate myself for looking that up
If it makes you feel better, I looked up the name Aoede to see if it was some dumb reference to something.

Aoede is the name of one of the three muses from Greek mythology. Specifically, the muse of voice and song. Take that as you will.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You know what FF7's ending really needed? A narration by the main character belaboring the themes of the game several times in a row.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
That certainly was an ending I just saw with my eyes. Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking of G Gundam towards the end.

And as a random factoid, "Damnatio Memoriae" is a term referring to when Roman Emperors were removed from the historical record, usually by destroying their face on junk. It happened as well in Egypt, with Cleopatra I believe. Or Hatsheput.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kobanya posted:

That certainly was an ending I just saw with my eyes. Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking of G Gundam towards the end.

And as a random factoid, "Damnatio Memoriae" is a term referring to when Roman Emperors were removed from the historical record, usually by destroying their face on junk. It happened as well in Egypt, with Cleopatra I believe. Or Hatsheput.

I caught that too. That was a nice little touch, that Bhunivelze was so pissed off at Lightning that he literally tried to Unperson her :allears:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Well, that ending was a lot more convoluted and stupid than I was expecting.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
When you got to the big dumb reveal part and said "this is where most people get upset at the ending," I was like, "wait, is it the Lifestream? I know Lightning is more or less Cloud, but is she literally Cloud?" And then I realized what was going on, and it was so much worse.

Anyway, you made a comment about how if Caius could just separate one of the Yeuls, why didn't he just do that and avoid XIII-2? Here's my reasoning (note that I haven't actually played or seen XIII-2, but I'm pretty sure that means I understand it better than someone who has):
Yeul was stuck in an infinite loop. Caius wanted that loop to stop, and he succeeded. Therefore the last one was the only special one, the only one in any way distinguishable from any of the others. That's the only reason Caius could separate her. Because she wasn't in the loop anymore.

Also, thanks for playing this dumb game. It was a nonsensical ride much of the time, but an enjoyable one.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Nah I think they're all seperate Yeuls, but Caius knows most of them since he was immortal and got to see each one of them die as time passed. While Noel only knows the last one, so she's the one he gets and the rest get to play Chaos games with Caius I guess?

Only the last one knew Noel as well, so I guess the others don't have the same feelings for him that they do for Caius.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So now that one yeul is gone:
Is the 'half yeuls want him to live/die' balance upset now?
Or is this yeul on of the undecideds.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

So wait.. Sarah was never real? But then she became a real boy... Errr Girl at the end?

Serah was never real in this game. Bhunivelze just made a Serah puppet to tempt Lightning with. He never had her soul, could never retrieve her soul, and that line Lumina fed her about being a vessel for Serah's soul was bullshit because Lightning never had it either.

With that in mind, Serah did exist, but she was never actually involved in this game in any way until her soul popped up in the ending cutscene and kicked Bhunivelze's rear end into a supernova along with everyone else.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

KieranWalker posted:

Serah was never real in this game. Bhunivelze just made a Serah puppet to tempt Lightning with. He never had her soul, could never retrieve her soul, and that line Lumina fed her about being a vessel for Serah's soul was bullshit because Lightning never had it either.

With that in mind, Serah did exist, but she was never actually involved in this game in any way until her soul popped up in the ending cutscene and kicked Bhunivelze's rear end into a supernova along with everyone else.

Okay, that's better, but it comes off confusing. But also didn't lightning cut out her "heart" long ago? WHy did it suddenly take form?

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 28, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, this is what the wiki has to say on the matter.

quote:

When their parents died, Lightning abandoned her past and became strong for Serah under the delusion of not needing help. The denied feelings of wanting companionship and support from others, along with her selfishness, fear and loneliness, caused an inner turmoil that affected Lightning throughout her life. When Lightning entered crystal stasis Serah's heart and soul were kept inside her, safeguarded for centuries. The English localization makes no distinction between people's hearts and souls, but the two are separate, albeit linked, entities in the Japanese version. When Lightning awoke from crystal stasis Bhunivelze purged Serah's heart and soul from Lightning damaging Lightning's own heart, making her appear emotionless. Lightning's suppressed feelings and vulnerabilities, which had now been removed from her, used the Chaos to manifest a physical form: Lumina. As a part of Lightning, Lumina became a vessel for Serah's heart to safeguard her from the Chaos.

Apparently in the japanese version she just suppressed her childishness until Bhunivelze shoved a roto-rooter through her soul and they separated for real.

also "Vulnerabilities" is giving me 3rd birthday flashbacks again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

At least its not refreshing

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well that was certainly a thing! When the souls shot past Saturn I was like "WAIT A SECOND" and then Mars and I was like "ARE THEY REALLY DOING THIS" and then the familiar shapes on the planet, and I'm like "well sure, that makes no sense, so it's of course what is happening".
The whole killing God bit was cool, though. Of course he repeatedly hosed up because he didn't really understand people. I mean, say what you will about the whole set-up, but the way in which the ultimate power is defeated is more sensible and better set-up than in many other games with a similar plot.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

KieranWalker posted:

It's pretty funny to think that they gave Serah three different models but couldn't be bothered to do the same for Hope.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 65: After the End (Polsy) :siren:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is everything. This has been Lightning Returns, and indeed the entire FF13 trilogy. Thank you to everyone who followed this trainwreck all the way to the end, and god willing we're never going to LP a Final Fantasy game ever again.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's been a pleasure quite something.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Thanks for LP! It's been quite a ride, or something like that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh, one more thing I've been sitting on for three years now:

Fedule, February 23, 2014 posted:

We joked about this somewhat before but, just saying, if you ever do do that FFXIII LP and if co-commentary suits it then I am totally up for it.

:getin:

For all the bitching and complaining he did, this was his idea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

That's all there is. There isn't any more.

Close the thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
RIP Artix. He was mildly inconvenienced for our sins...

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Artix posted:

I can't believe Artix is loving dead

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
That's quite a finisher to the thread.

The probation that is.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

And, Artix Returns from when he came. Thanks for a seriously entertaining LP.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, thanks for presenting us Motomu Toriyama's Wild Ride. It was definitely an experience, that's for sure.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Artix has been placed into crystal sleep, in 4 hours he'll be revived and preside over the stupidest loving race and then die for real.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Thanks for the LP! My curiosity is now satisfied...

...mostly. I never watched the original FFXIII LP, so now I get to go back and watch all of that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Next LP about spunky teens and music? Surely your Youtube avatar changing is not a reveal at all is it Artix? :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:rip:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Thanks for suffering through this....large expenditure of time, money and effort.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
By the way, when you first posted your thread I was actually making a test post on this exact game and I will never forgive you

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm going to be submitting this to the archive real soon, so if you've got any final comments now's the time to get them out. Also you'll be seeing me repost some updates and whatnot, don't worry about it, that's for my purposes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 5: South Side Jazz (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Chaos Infusions
Eternal Midnight (Luxerion: South Station - Night)
The Warren

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 17: The Second Intermission (Polsy) :siren:

This the point at which we opened up garb creation to the thread, our full wardrobe can be seen in the second post.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

if you've got any final comments now's the time to get them out.

I deeply regret that our friendship came about as a result of this ill-advised project :negative:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I will miss Lightning say "Meow meow, Choco chow.".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No Lightning, you are the gods.

And then she was a chocobo.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

EponymousMrYar posted:

No Lightning, you are the gods.

And then she was a chocobo.
You know, someone has probably drawn that. :v: To Google!

Pictures of Odin... Pictures of Lightning in Chocobo themed outfits...

...Close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing to think that this lp has been going on in one form or the other for over three years.

• Locked thread