Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

showbiz_liz posted:

They update and they include improvement yields. They're pretty hilariously overpowered. I've never had such high production in my capital at such an early stage.

Honestly, my biggest issue is that all of the extra food means that I'm always struggling with housing in my capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Quotey posted:

note to self: restart if canada is in the game on apocalypse mode

i was having fun with eleanor/cultists too :(

i was working on the statue of liberty when it got completed by someone else then i realised what was about to happen

I don't think it's even possible to get to the actual apocalypse part of Apocalypse Mode unless you disable Diplo victory.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Quotey posted:

note to self: restart if canada is in the game on apocalypse mode

i was having fun with eleanor/cultists too :(

i was working on the statue of liberty when it got completed by someone else then i realised what was about to happen

Always disable Diplomatic victory.

Fighting against Vampires was a bitch, Schythian vampires at that. Managed to pull off a Religious victory though!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 2, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

showbiz_liz posted:

They update and they include improvement yields. They're pretty hilariously overpowered. I've never had such high production in my capital at such an early stage.

Ah, yeah they def update, just the tile yield never did for me. Still having a capital with +100 food/production is incredible. I could just wipe out every tile there and put a district/wonder and it would not matter and as a natural wonder whore, this pleases me.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone had a problem where building a vampire castle immediately crashes the game?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve been out of the loop for a while, what’s all this about vampires and castles and poo poo?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been out of the loop for a while, what’s all this about vampires and castles and poo poo?

Latest DLC update, added secret societies as an optional feature, they're pretty fun in an overpowered way

One of them gives you a couple of vampire units, they can place castles in friendly or neutral territory, and it takes the yields of the 6 adjacent tiles and gives it to you capital

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Latest DLC update, added secret societies as an optional feature, they're pretty fun in an overpowered way

One of them gives you a couple of vampire units, they can place castles in friendly or neutral territory, and it takes the yields of the 6 adjacent tiles and gives it to you capital

supply crawlers 2020 baby

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd be okay moving my units with 1UPT if they didn't interrupt each other in the future.
Sure if your movement is interrupted NOW make me move you but if it's interrupted in 25 turns? gently caress off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

supply crawlers 2020 baby

Basically, except capped to a max of like four by the end of the game (still powerful, just not STUPID, haha).

I had hoped once upon a time that Beyond Earth would have similar themes of terraforming and/or adapting to the land as Alpha Centauri but its miasma system wasn't quite the same as turning "annoying fungus that slows movement" into "it counts as a road now and also you get better yields than from normal land". They made a lot of interesting design decisions in BE, not all of them panned out, but I won't begrudge them for trying.

this season pass for Civ VI, though, full of interesting ideas. I like it. Splitting Teddy into two different Teddies was a good move, they both have different styles I can get behind. Need to test out Magnifique Catherine de Medici, see how good she is for a culture game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Basically, except capped to a max of like four by the end of the game (still powerful, just not STUPID, haha).

I had hoped once upon a time that Beyond Earth would have similar themes of terraforming and/or adapting to the land as Alpha Centauri but its miasma system wasn't quite the same as turning "annoying fungus that slows movement" into "it counts as a road now and also you get better yields than from normal land". They made a lot of interesting design decisions in BE, not all of them panned out, but I won't begrudge them for trying.

this season pass for Civ VI, though, full of interesting ideas. I like it. Splitting Teddy into two different Teddies was a good move, they both have different styles I can get behind. Need to test out Magnifique Catherine de Medici, see how good she is for a culture game.

i liked that in SMAC you could also raise or lower elevation to like block energy for your opponents and poo poo lol

I just like in theory I'm pretty sure it was never that practical to do but I appreciate that it was even possible

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This poo poo won't stop loving crashing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Organic Lube User posted:

This poo poo won't stop loving crashing.

In terms of platform, maybe you should, uh, switch.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

homullus posted:

In terms of platform, maybe you should, uh, switch.

I'd love to but it's all I have at the moment. I'm just amazed that a console game is having so many problems. I don't even have mods that can theoretically muck things up even more, just these expansion packs that seem to have been cobbled together by the cheapest coders they could whip together over Fiverr, and never QC'd.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Organic Lube User posted:

I'd love to but it's all I have at the moment. I'm just amazed that a console game is having so many problems. I don't even have mods that can theoretically muck things up even more, just these expansion packs that seem to have been cobbled together by the cheapest coders they could whip together over Fiverr, and never QC'd.

Really I just wanted to make a Switch joke. I agree that they should not release things that crash all the time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I tried another run at Apocalypse Mode, this time as the infamous Terra Maori. I settled on the first good piece of land, which turned out to be the new world continent, so I figured I'd just stick to it and see how things played out. It also turned out to contain all of the city states, so for the first several thousand years, things were super chill. I became suzerain of every single one, so I figured I'd challenge myself by never looking for the old world or building a single power plant or railroad. The Europeans showed up in the 1600s, and immediately started spamming envoys and making city states join in wars and poo poo, which I imagined to be super upsetting to my people, who had wiped out the last barbarian camp centuries earlier and never known conflict.

At this point I was pretty close to researching Cold War, so I saved up my envoys, got the double envoy promotion for Amani, and adopted a policy of isolationism, refusing any trades with the old world savages. Once I could adopt Containment, I started booting all their envoys and eventually restored peace. As more Europeans made contact, it turned out that they were engaged in at least two forever wars, and I got periodic updates about peace treaties immediately followed by war declarations against a different neighbor.

Meanwhile, I had never been at war with anyone, and while I of course was hit by the occasional natural disaster, I managed to avoid droughts and floods and volcanic eruptions by settling sensible cities and not chopping forests and jungles. I also had loads of wonders, natural parks, and seaside resorts. I figured that not having any contact with other civilizations before the renaissance era would be enough of a handicap to ensure that I'd get to see a bit of apocalypse action, but it turns out I was wrong. By 1864, a scant two-and-a-half centuries after the Spanish made first contact, I had won a culture victory. Coincidentally, a few turns before that, the Cree had settled a city on my continent, and the victory came the same turn as Peepeekisis formally requested to be part of the Maori empire.

On King difficulty, if the player doesn't produce any CO2, that is too early to hit the final climate change level, so I still haven't seen the actual apocalypse. I like to imagine that all that tourism represented the citizens of the old world fleeing their Orwellian hellscape and settling down in my lush empire of peace.

Mostly posting this because I want to post this screenshot; I settled a city on the south pole, and due to wanting up as many ley lines as possible and misjudging the location of those crabs, I managed to settle this lovely, snowy metropolis in an area with no sea resources or non-tundra/snow tiles.

It was a bit more populous earlier on, but there appears to be no way to prevent huge chunks of citizens from dying if you get struck by a bad blizzard.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does Continents map always generate a continent with no one on it at the start or is it just random?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The "Terra" map type is designed to do that

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

The "Terra" map type is designed to do that

oh that's what he meant by Terra Maori ok I forgot that was a map type my bad

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ngaruawahia being a useless town of questionable merit is quite hilarious, even if technically the IRL town was settled in a totally reasonable place. The gist of it amuses me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, I was complaining before about the slowness of vampire units. Turns out any great general can speed them up, because they count as a unit from any era. Good to know.

Tried out a Shaka game and my first neighbor was Alexander, haha. Annihilating him as quickly as possible was pretty satisfying. I forgot just how beefy the Zulu units could get.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Poland when you stumble onto a relic from your first goody hut and the voidsingers is an insane religion game. I didn't even get to use the voidsingers ability to create relics, just crushed the world with carpets of apostles before that would ever be a concern. Even with Mali, who I think as an ai will get religious units, no one could stand up to my massive apostle army.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On King difficulty, if the player doesn't produce any CO2, that is too early to hit the final climate change level, so I still haven't seen the actual apocalypse.

you pretty much have to go out of your way to delay/avoid winning the game in favour of just causing pollution in order to get the apocalypse to happen.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

HappyCamperGL posted:

you pretty much have to go out of your way to delay/avoid winning the game in favour of just causing pollution in order to get the apocalypse to happen.

Not always. If you have a decent-sized navy or build coal power plants, you'll get there assuming you're not already mid-snowball.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wanted to post this interesting capital that Maori settled in my current game

Edit: Also, I'm gonna complain that I was a tired idiot and screwed up my plan for a cross continent canal system by putting the pyramids on the wrong tile :suicide:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 4, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat. Don't suppose you'll get the chance to use Panama Canal for that, or is that not possible with how angles work?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's hills in any stretch that would fit it. You can't build canals on hill; only cities will do for that. The closest you could get would be settling on the sheep hill in the lower right, and you could build the Panama Canal from the Gulf of Darien and down, but you'd only break out if those hills are one flat tile from the ocean.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Can someone explain to me how ley lines work. I've read the in game explanation and the wiki one and am still a bit confused.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Can someone explain to me how ley lines work. I've read the in game explanation and the wiki one and am still a bit confused.

They are a resource tile that has no effect unless you are a member of the Hermetic order. The only way to reveal leylines is to be a member of the hermetic order. Leylines provide +1 adjacent bonus to adjacent districts. (So a campus place next to it with no other relevant tiles or districts next the campus would be a +1 campus.) In addition, leyline tiles provide a yield when worked. This yield starts as nothing, however, Leylines gain +1 science when worked for every great scientist you have recruited, +1 culture for each Great writer, artist or musician, and so on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At the start, they're just "occupied" tiles. You can work them, but they give no bonus yields and you cannot build improvements or districts on them. What they do is give a standard adjacency bonus to any adjacent district, which means they give +1 to said district's yield. You basically want to settle near them and build yield districts like campuses and theatre squares and such next to them.

Once you hit the industrial era upgrade, they start having yields equal to the amount of great people you've recruited. 1 science for every great general, admiral and scientist, 1 culture for every artist, musician and writer, 1 gold per merchant, 1 production per engineer, and 1 faith for every prophet. This doesn't sound like much, but it slowly adds up. Here's a ley line on a snow tile with 0 native yields, in a game where I apparently earned a total of 49 great people:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

If I conquered that city as a non-Hermetic Order civ, the bonuses would disappear?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You wouldn’t even see that they were there in the first place. I’m pretty sure there’s no way to exploit them if you’re not in the Hermetic Order. If you conquered them as another hermetic, you’d keep the adjacency bonus, but I’d assume they’d convert to your great person bonuses.

Not sure what happens to ley lines if someone who’s not in the society paves over them, but I’m guessing they’re gone for good if a district or wonder is built over them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

At least the game is still generous enough to give you resources if they happen to have a wonder or district built over them when you couldn't see them.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

And in the basement of the Louvre? Oh this is our little Uranium mine, the workers go in the back door by the dumpster and down the service elevator. We blast after hours, don't worry the paintings are protected.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

you cannot build improvements or districts on them
This can be a notable pain in the rear end if you have no interest in joining The Hermetic Order.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you never see the lay lines if you don't join the hermetic order?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FreeMars posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you never see the lay lines if you don't join the hermetic order?
Correct

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

boy, that won't be annoying

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

really queer Christmas posted:

The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. - Theodore Kaczynski

The civ 7 tech quote for unlocking industrialization

im down with this. but thats way too ballsy for whatever souless studio tasked with creating the 7th shambling corpse of a formerly great series would be allowed to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
If you never join the Hermetic Order leylines will not affect your game in any way