Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always enjoy Civ's euphemisms for slavery. "You can turn defeated enemies into builder units" is almost as good as Civ III's "Rushing a building will decrease your population as unhappy citizens leave your city"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, maximizing theming bonuses was busywork that the AI couldn't even do, I hope that they do something better in VI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is amazing and different enough from mainline Civ to play on its own.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What's the historical rationale behind a Brazilian GP bonus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Another piece of inspiration from Endless Legend, then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A lot of footage today. If I only had half an hour to an hour to watch, what video should I put on?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's just part of the espionage system, he got infected with mumps which incurs a diplomatic penalty

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can now research Social Media in a Civilization game. How far we've come!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hogama posted:

Estadio do Maracana Wonder building. Sean Bean narrated.

I hope there's an achievement for occupying that tile with a German unit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Having a negative opinion of civs on a different continent sounds pretty reasonable for an imperialist colonialist, actually

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hogama posted:

Big Ben.

The Elizabeth Tower'd been seen previously in screenshots, but hey, wonder video.

I really prefer the paintings/quotes/musical sting from Civ V. Seeing some legos come together is, well, eh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Replace Big Ben with the London Eye.

Less ironically, the London Underground would be a legit wonder

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's because hexes are the shape of the future.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

berenzen posted:

Or just go whole hog with stealing from Endless Legend and have stacks that cap out at a certain number of units and then play a combat minigame to determine combat.

This, except without the minigame. Tactical combat in EL is the biggest drag.

I would really like a system that somehow took your economic and technological throughput and converted it into some sort of power projection, with at most some high-level strategic decision-making. I have never been into Civ for the wargame-type play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't wait to see the YouTube comments on this Civ video

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It was actually easier in older games, since you just built one doomstack of units and rolled them over as a group from city to city

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The PLC was pretty large.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every nation already in Civ is already a stereotype controlled by an immortal entity with perfect knowledge of the arrow of progress over millennia and where every nation starts with a roughly similar clean slate. It has never been realistic and I am perfectly OK with it continuing to be even less realistic in the future. I am also always suspicious, as I am with Paradox gamers, when the "But my realism" flag gets thrown down conveniently when underrepresented peoples are discussed, except even moreso here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But the Huns threatened the civilized races and thus need to be properly represented to fully represent the glorious history of Europa

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've never understood why people prefer wonder movies to the paintings and quotes

So good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When will Glorious Srbija, Seventh Rome, get its due

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The last thing I want is to acquire more boxes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I need a supercut of the all the trailer lady's final questions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whoops, wrong thread

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Have they talked about a Mac port? (Are those still things?) And would PC and Mac people be able to play together?

I know quite a few people who don't game at all -- except Civ games. They also use Macs and I don't know anything about how anything on that side works

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for answering my earlier questions about the Mac port. I guess the only other thing I'm wondering is whether PC and Mac can play together, is that something you can already do in Civ V? I would hate to talk up this game to my Mac friends and then not be able to actually set up a multiplayer game with them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, the only reason why I'm asking about it is that I know more than a few people who own Macs and also play absolutely no other games except Civ, so they're not going to buy a separate OS for it. I remember mentioning Steam to them way back when and that confused them.

What I'm saying is that Civ is this kind of transcendent thing I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That was in Alpha Centauri, after all

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pretty sure Firaxis stole the Televangelist for their religion mechanics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

the people are

the heroes now...

Behemoth pulls the peasants' plow

In Civ V I would just put on the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack when I entered the modern age.

Going back, the Civ 3 modern age jazz-rock thing is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPe5an9VltI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

We're talking about a game series wherein the the world is inhabited by monolithic "civilisations" led by immortal god-persons constructed entirely out of memes.

Civ's got a lot going for it, but it couldn't find "verisimilitude" with both hands, a map, a local guide and two llamas.

Care for some salad? I made it myself

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hogama posted:

Guess you'll have to take that up with Stephen Foster in 1854. It's certainly possible he drew inspiration from it.

This looks fun.

The return of Sid Meier's Covert Action

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So the quote for Mt. Kilimanjaro is from a blog post written by some random college student, huh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

is he at least dead

I saw it in a Giant Bomb Quick Look and looked it up, it's found here: http://thoughtcatalog.com/nancy-bonds/2013/08/5-life-lessons-i-learned-from-climbing-mount-kilimanjaro/

The quote for Foreign Trade is from a Dutch young adult fantasy novel. I guess they are going for a less elitist vibe with the quotes?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Economics quote is from Margaret Thatcher, now I hope this is just a pre-release quote pack for streamers to troll people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

And Donald Trump

You have discovered Social Media.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/781926033159249920

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Updated for Civ VI:

"The architecture is very impressive here! The grounds are pretty vast, so you could really wander around here for hours and just take it all in!" -- Mike F., Yelp Review

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 4, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJGzluIkzQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

First mod should just replace all quotes with Sean Bean character quotes. He even talks about Cossacks in GoldenEye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The actual map graphics look fine.

I thought the art deco interface and iconography of V was much cleaner to read and more compelling though.

The screen with all the policy cards just looks unfinished