Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ThirdEmperor posted:

They have purposefully cut most of the limits on going wide, so yes, amenities and increasingly expensive settlers are pretty much it.

I'm hearing mixed things here - is it better or worse to go wide, or is the difference less of a line of demarcation and more a question of asset distribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, barbs are seriously destroying me in the early game. Guess I need to be less aggressive with them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Shortest Path posted:

Is there somewhere I could see a summary of all the changes to the game? I haven't played since shortly after launch and I heard someone mention there have been some major changes which surprises me for a civ game this soon.

This is the same boat I'm in and yeah...AI still seems hosed and a lot of the mechanics are poorly explained - and I clearly haven't played enough to figure it out on my own.

Crazy Ted posted:

A note on this: from my experience AI+ turns Montezuma loving terrifying if he gets decent production in his starting city. Mvemba too.

And I need to see if it's just me: does the AI seem to be more hostile when you expand too quickly? I swear that more often than not if I get an ideal start location that lets me crap out those first 3-4 cities ASAP then a couple of other civilizations will declare Formal War out of nowhere. If I stick to just the capitol for a while and build that up first? Everyone wants to be friends.

Either I'm bad at this game, I have different expectations of an ideal start location (probably both of those) or you're just luckier than me. Dammit. I do find that the couple games I've played so far, which I haven't finished, I start to get steamrolled on either science or culture by someone with a LOT more cities: 7-9 to my 4-5. Even getting a 5th city up has been a challenge sometimes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CascadeBeta posted:

The main issue with the AI outside of the aforementioned inability to siege cities is the fact that I can be +13/-2 and still be neutral overall. It's so loving hard to get the AI to not immediately hate you for reasons I don't know because I have zero access to them and their second agenda is hidden. The only way I managed to make any AI an ally is Gilgamesh in one of my games after I gifted him like 5 gifts of 50 gold. He had war carts sitting at my border and I had just gotten done fighting an unprovoked dual war.

Additionally, I have no idea how the AI produces settlers at the rate it does. I generally have two cities to the AI's 4 or 5 by the medieval era. Prince is supposed to have no AI advantages, and but they're producing way faster than I can. :psyduck:

This is an issue for me as well - I've found that I basically have to focus on producing settlers in my first city as soon as I have a monument, possibly a granary (if I get a good rice/wheat spawn), and enough of an army to hold off barbs. Even then, once I have 3-4 cities up, at least 1 AI usually has 5-6 and I've run out of acceptable locations to put them. Only other option is to roll the dice, send one overseas and hope that they find an uncontested patch of land, with few to no barbs until I find a decent location to settle.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dragonrah posted:

I'd like to see them fix the religious spam by making them work like spies. Well a much less annoying versions of spies that is. You take your Apostle and station them in an enemy city where they conduct missions. Inquisitors can be used to protect your cities and missionaries could be used to spread to your cities and maybe city states. Just make them a lot more expensive. But yea the Spy UI has to be fixed first.

I haven't even managed to get a religion yet. Then again, I largely ignore it - I know religious victory is a thing, but it really seems half baked here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This game really feels like it needs a G&K type overhaul. I sort of get what they were trying to do but it just feels incomplete as is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

50% off Digital Deluxe Edition coupon for free, hit me up on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shootingblanks/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mata posted:

I really want to get into some PBEM games but I'm holding out for some summer bundle so i can hopefully pick up some DLC civs along with R&F.
It's unfortunate how the DLC stuff works in MP.

Yeah, this game has an annoying amount of DLC that never seems to go on sale. And I know it's only going to increase from here, if Civ V is anything to go by.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Magil Zeal posted:

I thought Civ V stopped releasing new DLC with expansions? New DLC Civs, at least. There might have been some map packs or something. I think after Gods and Kings came out the only new DLC was two map packs.

Just checked and you're right - weird, I had this distinct memory that they kept releasing more afterwards. Part of this goes back to my general dislike for DLC, to be fair, but a bundle of all the new civs (or at least a discount since 2K is having a weekend sale on Steam) would be nice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Deltasquid posted:

They should make civ VI except the whole map is just space for you to develop your nation and other nations are off-map entities that you interact with via a diplomacy screen. Make it so the main aim of the game is resource chains, chains of production and infrastructure. Call it a "civilization builder" or something instead of a city builder and it honestly plays to the civ vi dev team's strengths.

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The game just started a 2.3GB patch for me - any idea what this is? Seems pretty big since I can't find any patch notes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Niwrad posted:

Wondering the same.

It's following up with a separate 3 GB patch now. Seems like a lot to patch for a few misspellings, but OK - if it improves the game I'm happy to give it another shot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

All y'all not saying Beyond Earth are bad people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bremen posted:

Gathering Storm retroactively includes all the changes from Rise and Fall. All buying them both gets you is the civilizations from the first expansion.

Wait is this true? I'm looking for confirmation somewhere and not seeing it. I'm assuming R&F also has unique scenarios only available there?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is there something screwy about how gold is calculated? According to the info bar at the top, I should be net positive ~30 gold each turn, however when I check the actual number it has gone down by 20-30 instead. Not sure if it's not displaying all the information (i.e. my income is lower/expenses are higher), or there's just a bug in the calculation.

Edit: Even weirder, it lasted about 6 or 7 turns until I ran dry, 1 unit was disbanded, and now it's accurate again :psyduck:

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is there a good guide or rule of thumb to district planning? I'm getting back into this game now that I bought GS, after being very unimpressed by vanilla, but drat if I don't have a hard time figuring out how to place districts and tile improvements. Resources are fairly obvious, but I can't look forward enough to figure out if a given location is better for, say, a campus or a holy site, how to plan on the government district, etc. Or is it just a matter of experience and knowing that you'll never get it 100%?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Helith posted:

I bought the gold edition in the sale. What's a good starting civilization, map and level to learn the mechanics on for someone who's played civ v at king level?

I prefer Germany as a relatively simple civ - their major UA is that they get an extra district (district placement is brand new to Civ VI and I'm still figuring out how to optimize that), but their unique district is a significant upgrade to production. Solid all around choice whether you want a domination or science victory. Map I'd just go with continents and pick a size. City placement is also more important now - access to fresh water (river or lake) impacts how large your city can grow, there is an added city stat (housing) which can be improved with buildings/districts but will limit you overall. No more 40+ size cities. Going for a wonder build is difficult - each wonder also now takes a map hex, you can't stack them in one city like you could in V.

Major mechanics you'll have to learn are how amenities differ from luxuries/happiness in 5, religion has been fleshed out a lot, but as much as anything you'll need to figure out districts. There's effectively a second technology tree (civics) that takes the place of policies - mechanically it's very similar, but it gives you more micro over choosing specific policies based on how many slots you have at any one time. Optimizing it will take some learning, but the basic function is straightforward. With the gold version you'll have city governors, it adds complexity but is relatively straightforward overall.

There are a ton of changes - vanilla VI was pretty rough and overall not as good as BNW. GS, however, is a great game - I haven't played R&F on its own so I'm not the best person to ask, but I'd wager it's pretty good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The hardest thing to learn in 6 is district placement and realizing you need to plan ancient turns around putting districts or wonders down thousands of years later.
Germany's strategy is getting Hansas next ot markets next to rivers which might be overwhelming to start out.

If gold edition comes with later civs Korea is pretty simple position wise.

Is there a good primer or write up on how to think about this? It's the one thing I'm still struggling to figure out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Helith posted:

This is good advice, thanks both of you.
I'll give the 'Play Now!' button a try, sounds a fun way to learn the ropes.
I played a bit of the tutorial and yes, the sheer amount of new systems and options is a little overwhelming at first when you you haven't grasped what effect your choices are going to have.

The core of the game is still the same - focus on production, science, or culture (and now religion!) and let that be your victory type.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm considering getting the two big expansions and getting back into Civ6. However, my favourite style of play is the opposite of what you've described- I love having a weird empire of far-flung colonies set up on the best possible bit of land on each continent. Would it still be possible to play that way with a bit of investment, or would the new mechanics render it impossible?

Play Maori or Norway on Archipelago. You won't be playing continents but you will absolutely have a far flung empire.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The White Dragon posted:

the only time i ever lost a city in civ 6 was when an AI accidentally engineered a sneak attack against me

it offered a joint war to me in the stone age, but as it rolled up past my capital, it noticed that i had basically no units at home, so it changed its mind and arbitrarily attacked me instead

The only time I can think of is when one AI declared war on me with a MUCH larger army than I realized they had. While defending that (successfully), a different AI just steamrolled another city that I'd left marginally defended.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Brother Entropy posted:

on the horse archer note, barb camps that spawn a certain number of tiles near horses can start spewing out horseman and horse archers early

it's incredibly annoying

Yeah, a barb camp that can spawn cavalry units can be a game ender.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I either can't find or can't connect to a Red Death game. I have no idea how good it is but I'd at least like to try it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Finally got Red Death working and drat, the Cultists are far stronger than the other factions. It's not even close.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Friend of mine started playing this and he can't see resource icons on anything - is there a hotkey for this, or something in the menus?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dont know if there is hotkey, but you can enable it on map settings, one of the buttons above the minimap

Perfect, thanks. Could not find the drat button.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Paul.Power posted:

Last game I played to completion (as T. Roosevelt, for reference) I deliberately avoided going for a religion and it was hilarious watching all these AI apostles fighting a religious war over my turf. But yeah, it must be slowing the game down a ton.

Having all the dribs and drabs of faith I've accumulated over the years turn into a bunch of rock stars as I steamroller towards a culture victory (they seem really easy to win compared with other victories) is hilarious though. Especially if one of them really gets on a roll.

The one time I went for a culture victory with rock bands was a ton of fun, I need to do that again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Elias_Maluco posted:

"theological combat" is probably one of the worst ideas ever in the civ series

edit: vvvvv I think it does. encampments and holy sites seems to be their favorite districts

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, but it's certainly a bad implementation. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it, though - a game like this has too many overlapping systems for an easy fix. Maybe remove theological combat, put in a loyalty-like function and attach it to all units as well as cities?

Elias_Maluco posted:

And I advise using legendary start. But if you start in a terrible location anyway, it happens, is not so absurd, just restart

Funny enough I've had awful luck with legendary starts. Sure, my initial city will be good to great, but drat if it isn't hard to find good locations for second and third cities. Normal start may not give me a natural wonder immediately, but I can at least find spots for 3-4 cities or more that are viable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is a fun new bug. Germany declares surprise war on me and invades my territory. It won't actually let me attack their units for some reason - I move other troops in, and they can only move. The garrisoned unit can attack but nobody else. Time to load an autosave!

Edit: This save is bugged. Reloaded an autosave, moved units into place and beat him back. 35-ish turns later he declares surprise war on me again, moves next to my units and....I can't attack again. Game just does not want me to take a cultural victory I guess.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 20, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I feel like espionage should also function as a method for materially damaging an opponent that you can't fight directly, though. It's a comeback mechanic for when you're behind in military strength, too

And it hits a huge point of historical accuracy - sabotage in wartime (but then, historical accuracy is more important to me than most players I reckon)

You can disrupt their industrial district which in turn will damage production for any city affected. But now we're back to the issue of AI civs not planning their districts efficiently, it's unlikely they have a built up industrial zone that affects more than 2, maybe 3 cities.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BigglesSWE posted:

Just had a culture win as French Eleanor and holy poo poo is that passive takeover from other Civs powerful. I ate two full civilizations in total without ever breaking into war.

I can't seem to get her rolling. Every time I've tried I either get sandwiched between 2 aggressive domination civs, I can't find even halfway decent places to settle third and fourth cities, and the one time I thought I had a pretty good start my save was bugged and other civs could declare war on me but I couldn't fight back.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What I don't bother worrying too much about is commercial hub adjacency. You'll usually get +2 or 0 and I often choose a 0 because I'd rather have a triangle farm in a given spot for midgame.

Generally speaking, I'd rather take a harbor than a commercial hub anyway, given the choice. Unless I have a really good adjacency bonus, or I'm one of the civs that really benefits from having a comm. hub (Poland, I think a couple others?) it's harder to give up a workable land tile than it is a coastal tile. Since the main benefit of either one is gold + the trade route, and you can't get stack the trade routes, it's an easy decision.

Of course I'm bad at the game so that's probably wrong, but oh well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

drat - once you hit 30+ cities it starts to get much harder to manage your production, remembering your build plans. Or is there a build queue that I've just never found?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

berryjon posted:

As near as I can tell, the Civ 6 AI determines where each unit goes independently of each other unit. So what you're seeing is units backtracking across the empire to get to a goody hut because they saw the goody hut was unclaimed by another unit, despite the fact that there's already a unit two tiles away from the hut.

And yes, the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn unless it's a ranged unit setting up to attack because the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn if at all possible.

I'm not entirely sure this is true - or it's bugged. Numerous times I've had both AI civs and barbs leave units in place without moving or attacking, just for me to kill them the following turn. Running away would have been an option, attacking my unit would have been an option, instead they just stay planted.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I've only seen it a handful of times (including just a little while ago), but it always makes me laugh when I see a CS with a settler that they captured. More than any other event, that is proof positive of just how bad the AI is in this game.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Alright, I have to try this. I'm thinking Eleanor on Pangaea, huge. The trick is just finding an early wonder?

Edit: I guess any way to get enough faith to get Religious Settlements.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 30, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cythereal posted:

Anyone else having a problem with Civ5 on Steam where after exiting the game Steam still thinks the game is running and the only way to fix it is to go into the control panel, terminate steam, and restart?

I haven't had this with Civ5 specifically but it happens with other games sometimes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kassad posted:

In Civ6, it's not clear that the AI is able to take cities in the first place. It's not like in Civ4 where warmongering AIs will build doomstacks and will use them to crush you if you don't build up your own army.

The AI can absolutely take cities. Germany took 2 of mine in a game awhile back (FrEleanor) by attacking me second after another Civ had already surprise attacked me. I didn't have a great army to begin with since my location was generally very defensible, but I got absolutely overrun.

That said, the attacks were very poorly planned and even a couple archers could have defended it - I was just stretched way too thin already.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Australia is equally strong on science, with some potentially absurd adjacency bonuses and the housing advantage for settling on a coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Running through a game to see how early I can get a space victory right now and ran into an odd trade situation. The various AIs keep asking me for insane trades - 1 or more of my cities, multiple luxuries, etc., offering a pittance of gold - and then are turning it down from the get go, asking me to make it more acceptable. I'm really trying to understand how these are coming about and I just can't see it.