Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I feel like they could fix most of the problem by having units make a best effort to get to their destination instead of immediately cancelling movement when something is in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Comstar posted:

Dumb questions
- What do I do to avoid random hostile units appearing in my borders? I have no idea what causes it.

Someone mentioned partisans, but these can also be regular barbarians. Barb camps spawn randomly on the map (anywhere in the fog of war) and make scouts. If a scout finds your city and gets back to their camp, they spawn other units to attack the city. Kill the scout or the camp to stop it.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

That's not a bad idea. I downloaded the mod tools, might take a look later.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

FreeMars posted:

There used to be a mod to make tech and civics take 3 - 5 times longer, but it never got updated after the first expansion

Is this it? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890528355

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

IIRC, every setting including leaders is taken into account when generating the map.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I hope Civ 7 brings back some of these things you guys are talking about, they sound super fun.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Base game, expansion pack, and season pass are all discounted on the Nintendo store right now.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

There are also some mods that increase science/culture requirements for early techs which lengthens the first few ages without increasing industry costs.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I don't know if its specifically related to the update that happened a couple days ago but I've tried to play 2 games since then and one crashed to desktop after about 10 minutes and another got locked on "please wait" after 10 minutes, I waited 5 then I alt f4'd out since it was clearly stuck. This sucks, I just want to play a game.

Are you on PC? I've seen some people say they've had crashes using the new launcher that are fixed by bypassing it using Steam launch options:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/mlompp/psa_how_to_bypass_the_launcher_in_steam

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I really like that they made the age mechanics not purely good or bad for you - dark ages can give you a big boost if played right and golden ages can hurt you. Wish it was a little easier to keep track of what gives you score and how much though.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

They sent out a second email saying it's fixed.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I think so. The game modes are fun enough and the civs are the most interesting ones yet.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Staltran posted:

Where'd you get it at that price?

Khanstant posted:

Cheapest I see rn is 24 bucks if you buy from the 2k store. My best guess about that 13 dollar price is that they got confused and thought the humble monthly bundle included the frontier pass? Not even shady re-seller sites have Frontier Pass as cheap as 13 bucks.

It's on the Humble Store but it might only be for the subscribers. PM me if you want it at that price and we can work something out.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I always chop if possible before I put a district down on a chopable tile because there's only a benefit there (except Vietnam).

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

The real takeaway from Civ is that 400 men with clubs could take down a giant mecha.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's a random chance, and you just got some bad rolls. I don't know what the chance is but I'd guess somewhere around 50%.

The chance decreases each time someone else unlocks that society which really sucks when you want a specific one.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, Japan gets that neat little bonus with hurricanes but its basically useless unless you are in apocalypse mode :(

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Are their any other thread recommended UI or QoL mods?

https://youtu.be/O7V6Ymx9Go8

I'd also add Radial Measuring Tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

I have never messed around with mods for this game but I might have to get the one that lets everyone get a religion, because gently caress me is it frustrating to have to scramble and fight for one of the few chances at a religion.

Have they ever explained why they made that decision?

You could always make a pool of civs that aren't religious and make half the AIs draw from those.