Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any guesses on what Gandhi is going to be able to do this time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So what are the odds this'll get a demo, so I can find out whether this will run on my comp? I don't have the dedicated RAM for this game, but I've got an integrated card, but it's an a previous generation of i3 so who knows how much processing it can spare??

They had a demo of Civ 5. :ohdear:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy Civ 6.

John F Bennett posted:

If you like fun then a CIV game is always a good bet! (except for civ2)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You ever just sit back and think about how nationalistic these games are? gently caress's sake, this series's base assumptions are uncomfortable these days. Even more than usual, I mean.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lampsacus posted:

What would Civilization look like if it was not racist? Something along the lines of the Spirit Island board game I guess! You are Gaia.

Spirit Island kicks rear end.

The White Dragon posted:

lol just lol if you've never laughed heartily while you steamroll america playing as polynesia

Spirit Island kicks rear end.

Tendales posted:

It's OK and healthy to be critical of things you enjoy.

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from here. I love these games. When I was a little kid I would put the Civ 2 game disk in a CD player and listen to all the music. Man, I should find that soundtrack so I can relive the strange days when video games sometimes worked in a CD player.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Multiple Chinese leaders could work but they seem to have not done much with the multiple leaders idea in general.
Well, they did do Chandragupta, so maybe they'll do more. I'd spend good money on a leader pack.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Civ 5 worked better on my unnecessarily high resolution laptop monitor.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The thing I really like about Civ 6 is that it displays properly, unlike Civ 5, which is unplayable on the resolution my computer runs at. gently caress Civ 5 for this single reason.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still waiting a civ that thrives in the snow. I want to make an ice metropolis.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, now I'm excited to see the Inca. Gimme that weird poo poo.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

Marshes are fairly uncommon as far as terrain features go.

One Seminole power should be that they straight up modify their corner of the map to be swamp shithole slime heaven. This patch land would of course be attractive to certain other civs, which is great, because obviously the Seminole would be mechanically geared for a defensive war on top of presumably reversing the negatives most civs get for fighting in marshland.
Start up a dual map of you versus America, name the save The Last Time Florida Was Good, and just hold out for 5000 years.

Mameluke posted:

The Calusa mod for Civ V is very well done and supports a marsh-heavy playstyle, especially if you use Events & Decisions as well.

Oh hey this looks rad. I never did look into the mod scene for V.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roger Explosion posted:

Farms on Tundra is low-key loving amazing.

Seems niche. What am I not seeing? I guess with feudalism you can convert an entire builder into three-food tiles, so with a free builder from ancestral hall you can send a settler into the great empty north and get yourself to an I guess guaranteed seven pop city. And since you probably sent the settler up there for a specific resource tile, you'll need another builder charge, maybe from some other builder or maybe from the social policy. But if there was a resource I wanted up there, I probably would have settled that spot with any civ.

I guess it isn't NOT worth it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bedurndurn posted:

It should've been Celine Dion.

And the unique ability is a spy named Jim Carrey. I'm onto that motherfucker, that's right

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

It's a shame that there's no graphical part to the National Park. It'd be more fun to me if when I created it the game made a little "area of natural beauty" instead of just chucking a diamond around my stuff and calling it a day.

If it weren't already an area of natural beauty then it wouldn't be a national park :colbert:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

programmers aren't free and people still buy the games

The exception of course being Bethesda, whose players make up most of the QA team and whose modders will fix all their bugs.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in favor of whatever speeds up Civ combat. Honestly what I really want is something like an overhaul mod that removes all military units and makes a new resource called "soldiers," and you spend them the same way you spend hammers or gold. 5 soldiers a turn to keep up a wall, 100 soldiers to invade a city on your border and compare stats with that city, I don't know. I call this idea 0UPT, and I would insta-buy any good 4x that streamlined war like that.

Or rip off the combat from Through the Ages. I feel like that could transfer to games with a map if costs and thresholds changed according to travel distance and terrain.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

There's a really good 4X called Predynastic Egypt that does it this way. It has a free demo and is £7 for the full game so you should definitely check it out.

Oh hey, this looks really cool. Thanks.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Straight White Shark posted:

-30% production speed for units/buildings

Wow, that hurts. I wonder if this applies to wonders, and by wonders I mean Petra.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: Mali is the new Venice. Gold for days and you'll eventually be up for a solid domination victory, but weak in the early game.

Hopefully gold directly helps with diplo victories, because I don't really want to go for domination.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 9, 2019

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's because I'm the one who wrote Civilization 6. Listen, I was originally planning to write well, instead of badly, but I changed my mind and then made Sean Bean read a bunch of stupid poo poo out loud. It made sense at the time.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a story. I have a friend who says he keeps meaning to get into a Civ game. He owns Civ 3 and never had the patience for it, but he's seen me play 5 and 6 and apparently it always looked like I was having fun (???). He asked which Civ game he should get if he decided to take the plunge and I gave him more or less the thread orthodox advice: 4 > 5~BE > 6. In the end he decided he'd stick with Civ 3 and see if he can't enjoy that one, and if he ends up getting into it enough to buy one of the other ones, it sounds like he'll go for 6. He has yet to buy a Civ game. I'm not going to push him.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Human Crouton posted:

Why isn't this is a building? It has no adjacency bonuses, and the rules for being a building would already include that it is only one per city. Everything they do is such slop.

Use the rules that you already built into the game.

Everybody has a unique improvement. I'm okay with it.

Sweden isn't exactly transformative like some of the other new ones, but I like any civ that doesn't have to care about themeing. It cold sucks to move paintings around.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

I myself look forward to the new expansion, enjoy Civ VI and want more of it. That is all.

Looking forward to the Phoenicia reveal tomorrow! I expect a boat civ.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 27, 2019

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well you can certainly be hyperagressive with your settlers, I guess. I wonder how hard it'd be to take all of another civ's poo poo through loyalty loss alone.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to turn disasters all the way up and enable raging barbarians.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've clicked around and I don't think there's a raging barbarians mode in Civ 6 :(

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It should not be possible to start a Mali game in the tundra. Like, I moved south on turn 2 and met Russia. I scouted around a bit and found out they spawned closer to a desert than I did.

The Inca rule though. Easily my favorite civ so far.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

President Ark posted:

petra + mali + the city state that lets you build alcazars is good

Mali loves city states with improvements that can be built on flat desert. Nazca is great.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, I flipped a city-state with Eleanor. That can't possibly work on all civ capitals, can it?

Eleanor is interesting. I normally play tall because I get sick of making settlers after 10 or so and I don't really like war, so having 22 cities was a new one for me. It's also strange to take cities without choosing them beforehand. If I've got Macedon on one side and the Netherlands on the other, and Wilhelmina and I have been cool all game whereas Alex is being Alex, it feels weird taking her cities. I suppose I should have just punched a hole in Alex and disrupt his population spread so I could take both. I also should probably have been playing pangaea to get the full Eleanor experience.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Currently trying to decide what roll terrace farms should play. They're amazing at first, but then you reach the housing cap and you want mines. And the best location for a terrace farm is also the best location for your campus, which is of course more important, unless you get Macchu Pichu (and you really want that) in which case most of your districts will go where the terrace farms would. So you have to commit to MP when thinking about district and TF placement. It's an awkward situation.

Inca are great though. Their start bias kicks rear end (good production, good defense), their domestic trade routes are a great source of food if you're feeling gun shy on the TFs, you can teleport through mountains what the gently caress, and I don't know where I stand with the terrace but I'm enjoying the question. The fact that you're going to spend a lot of time around volcanoes means you've got a certain amount of risk management going on, and sometimes you get boned, but it's also hilarious.

Oh, that's another thing about terrace farms. I've never not started next to a volcano, and terrace farms are their favorite food. I get the feeling Inca are noticeably worse when you turn disasters up.

Too bad population doesn't directly improve science generation the way it did in 5. It's weird to be making new citizens just so you can work more food-heavy tiles so you can make new citizens in order to work more food, etc. Maybe it's better to replace most of your terrace farms with mines in the mid-late game so your citizens are doing more for you.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Staltran posted:

Did they change that in the expansion? Each population definitely used to give science in 6 as well.

What?! Okay, Inca are clearly science-oriented if so.

0.7 science per citizen according to Eurogamer. Well gently caress me, then.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

I'm gonna make a mod that replaces all the quotes with song lyrics.

Celestial Navigation
"Wheel in the sky keeps on turning, don't know where I'll be tomorrow."

Early Empire
"Everybody wants to rule the world"

Kilimanjaro
"I stopped an old man along the way, hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies. He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you"."

I'm in, but I need a way to keep the dog heaven quote.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I just sit there and I think, wow, I really wish Alpha Centauri was playable by modern standards for someone who's never touched it before.

somepartsareme posted:

wanna get into this game casually so i checked out the thread, is there anyone here who actually enjoys it

Me. I really like it. It's not perfect, but I'm comfortable with its flaws and I enjoy all of the things the game has going for it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I'm buying SMAC. Sure hope it's not as inaccessibly outdated as it looks!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Make sure you got the expansion too, it's good.

Also if you can play Civ2/3 you can play SMAC. It's totally accessible and good and in many ways has a clearer interface and better feedback vs civ6.

Even Civ 4 feels annoyingly old to me, and I haven't played 2 since elementary school, so I take it this'll be an uphill battle for my impatient, spoiled self. And if playing peacefully is a new idea in the Civ series, I expect I'll be losing a lot before I get a feel for how aggressive I have to be.

New people should start with Gaians, yeah? I look forward to seeing what miserable and incomprehensible future their ideals will create.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Turn off religious victories and you never have to care about religion again.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The one-city challenge is really interesting with Russia (spending great people can expand your borders past the 3-tile line!), but maybe it should be the two-city challenge for Civ 6.

How did OCC work in 5 when taking someone's capitol? Did you auto-raze it like everything else?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It would be cool to mix-and-match bonuses like that. If only they hadn't tied their hands with such fancy 3d models, they could have the chosen leader wearing the attire of the chosen Civ. Genghis Khan in a flared frock-coat.

Mansa Musa, leader of Georgia. Imagine if Georgia had more than one worthwhile ability!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

It's funny that in "America presents: History" they've made Canada interesting-but-crap.

I never made this connection before.

Canada Fact Sheet by the CIA, age 5:
- gets pretty cold up there but they seem fine
- we haven't declared war on them for some reason even though they're communists
- they've never declared war on anyone who counts, so far as we recall
- hockey
- in summary, bless their little cotton socks

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
All I need is a national park filter, and new American leader Emperor Norton I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like to go scout/scout/warrior/settler because I really want to find those three city-states and my nearest neighbor for the corresponding tech boosts, and the goody huts aren't bad either. The warrior is for guarding the settler and killing early barb camps, since slingers are a little too squishy for those tasks. Or, if I'm not feeling lazy, I'll do the slinger thing so I can kill a neighbor, whereupon I will discover that the nearest civ is miles away and I lose interest.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2019