Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Speedball posted:

Interestingly I like how America is as much of a cultural powerhouse this time around with its unique moviemaking facility. Teddy Roosevelt as a leader representing the U.S. is a long time coming, he was absolutely the coolest pres we ever had.

He fuckin' was, wasn't he? Like one of the few leaders we've had that anyone, regardless of their political alignments, can agree that was a drat fine fella.

My favorite part so far has got to be the art direction they went with re: leaderheads. It almost looks like claymation puppets, it's good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Bones posted:

Roosevelt is good on several fronts but he was also very pro-war and very pro-imperialism, even by the standards of his day, so I imagine if you asked someone from say, the Philippines if they thought Roosevelt was a drat fine fella they'd probably say no.

Oh you know that's true, I hadn't thought of that. Internment camps also weren't implemented in the same way that they were in the continental US, so he tends to be remembered much more fondly by the Japanese community there. And then it was the other Roosevelt who strongly opposed Hawaiian statehood and was in favor of restoring the independent republic :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xelkelvos posted:

Jefferson or Franklin (I know, not a president) should get a turn. Enlightenment thinker presidents ftw.

i yearn for the post-legalization america civ, where washington's ua is all about his love of the hemp

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I haven't really been watching the streams or anything, is the combat gonna be Civ 5 style or Endless Legend style? Because I'm really excited for this poo poo but I will stop being excited if it's that AI-commanding wargame clusterfuck like the latter was.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Probably because it's terribly weak if it has a bad start, and overwhelmingly powerful if it doesn't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Peas and Rice posted:

It never really occurred to me that the Mac release wouldn't happen on the same day :smith:

I don't get these OSX woes at all, Macs have been able to boot Windows OSes for a decade. An entire generation of computer users have only ever seen Macs with Intel CPUs at this point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

It's great that you have $200 to just throw away on an OS solely for gaming purposes and have the technical knowledge required to utilize Boot Camp.

Ok I can understand the price point, but you're overshooting it by $100 and even then it's not like at least one of your friends won't have the discs for an extremely common os that they'll just let you use. Unless your friends are all dicks idk?

The technical knowledge to use boot camp isn't an issue and we both know it. It's literally just "search Boot Camp, press Next a few times, wait thirty minutes" and has been this way since like 2008.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm looking at Windows 7, which is still within the recommended specs, and that's a hundo. Low as 120 for pro, these days. Strangely, this seems to solve the problem of random restarts, and having to edit your registry to prevent Microsoft from gathering all your usage data :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as a Mac user, this is true for everything in every OSX release post, oh, 10.6 or so.

"Hey Jim, what'd we have deselect bound to?"
"Uhhh, lemme check, esc, been that way since os5"
"Oh that's too easy for dumb users to accidentally deselect things, better make it Cmd+Esc."

"I think Cmd+Esc is too easy to accidentally deselect things, let's make it Cmd+Ctrl+Esc."

"Can you believe it? That old command was too common and people still kept deselecting things, and half our users kept editing the libraries to change it back to Esc! Let's change it to Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+A and foolproof it so it reverts after sixty seconds if anyone ever tries to change it!"

Sensible users have long since abandoned OSX, and this is coming from someone who swore by 10.6.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 26, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poil posted:

Modern era should be civ dependent metal. More games need Mongolian folk metal. :colbert:

i long for japan's future era music to be the composer loving around with vocaloids

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

I think it would be neat if each district had a name for when you mouse over them, as a way of showcasing the more "minor" settlements of civs. Like the harbor of Athens would be Piraeus, or the entertainment complex of Los Angeles might be Burbank.

This would work except I keep changing my city's names, and then you have stuff like Honolulu or Lahaina that don't actually have entertainment complexes because they're just cultural, scientific, industrial, and agricultural sinkholes that used to be marshes but turned into deserts after some chucklefucks tried to drain them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It depends on what you mean by "bad AI." Civ 5's combat AI was easy to abuse on all difficulties because of its inability to prioritize targets, so it's not an unsafe bet to assume that it'll have the same tactical flaws whether you're playing on Settler or Deity. If you're talking about like general building priority and their ability to execute their agendas, that's something that gets solved on higher difficulties because the AI's income bonuses makes its economy strong enough to do things like field an army and launch effective invasions if only through sheer number.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

El Disco posted:

I honestly liked the wonder fmvs more than the later "wonder built from scratch" animations.

It was at the height of that awkward era, though, and was pretty pop. Its charm was absolutely a product of its time. If they made something similar today, the social advisor would probably be some kind of unbearable Peter Griffin-style imbecile.

Krazyface posted:

I've got an idea for a mod for Civ VI: replace the dragons and sea-serpents on the empty parts of the map with mythical creatures appropriate to your faction.

soooo.... dragons and sea serpents except drawn with different art styles :raise:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So the quote for Mt. Kilimanjaro is from a blog post written by some random college student, huh

is he at least dead

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trivia posted:

Even still Nimoy's readings were excellent. I was pretty disappointed with Civ V, and I'm not super excited about Civ VI's either.

I'm kinda split on it at times, but the reading on the Chivalry quote makes up for any other shortcomings it might have.

Krazyface posted:

Stolen from reddit: Levi Strauss is a Great Merchant in VI, and generates two copies of the unique "jeans" luxury resource.

If Great Merchants gave you permanent access to a new unique luxury resource every time you consumed one, I would like spawning them a hell of a lot more.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think you guys complaining about how not serious the Civ 6 quotes are missing how goofy some of the Civ 5 quotes are.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves", for Combustion, anyone?

"I think we can agree, the past is over."?

yeah but at least they were by people who knew they knew nothing, instead of xXx_shadowNaRuT0_xXx, who knows he knows all there is to be known, and then the obligatory future tech quote from the bush clan/bush clan retainers

also that apocryphal einstein quote is ace

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

When CivV was announced to have themes for each specific civilization, someone on CivFanatics whined about having to hear "flipping bongo drums all day".

that said i'm really bummed that polynesia used the native american sound set because we are in a completely different cultural music group irl. also super bummed that they used some generic slack-key guitar as the leading theme and didn't include any of the western-style nationalist industrial era overtures our country produced in the 1800s

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 6, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

Also, look at the building in the entertainment district below the stadium in the Valencia. They are having a joust!

https://youtu.be/ZREqsiafTxc?t=8m15s

lol @ this trailer site's decision to nuke a small japanese city

PirateBob posted:

Hmm. If you had to guess which game was from 2010 and which one was from 2016 out of Civ V and Civ VI you might get it wrong. Wtf were they thinking with these graphics.

No way, it's just a stylistic choice. Bright and cartoony ages way better than an over-reliance on realistic textures--if you don't wanna wait twenty years to see I'm right, look at Shadows of the Empire vs Super Mario 64.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Been watching filthy's stream and there are so many noticeable bits of lag and hangs, really hoping it gets another optimization pass before release. I'm sure filthy being a full time streamer has a better rig than me and even Civ5 still chugs in the late game. 3570k/GTX 970

It could always have been developed with the Pascal chipset in mind... remember that their budget card this year is about as powerful as last year's Titan just because of how hard the new tech ramps it up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eiba posted:

Strategic view is still a thing. It actually looks prettier than ever too.

On one hand yeah I hear you, but on the other, back when I was playing Civ 5 on a far-too-old laptop, strategic view didn't help that much. It made scrolling over the map faster for sure, but that's just graphics. Turns were slow, it would hang after attacking with a unit, and mapgen was a case of "brah I bet you I can run to the taco truck before this map finishes." Civ is a taxing program, no two ways about it, but strategic mode will at least maybe keep your computer from melting :shobon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poly and open-minded posted:

smh if you think of how much time in hours instead of days

look man if steam told me my playtime in days i would but i have to use a calculator to know that my civ 5 clock is 2mos

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hogama posted:

Qin Shi Huang: Wall of 10,000 Li- Tries to build as many Wonders as possible. Dislikes civilizations who build more Wonders than him and beat him to Wonders under construction.

see if they'd done this in civ 5 then they clearly would've had the whole "behaving like human players" on lockdown

addendum: gently caress, that gold effect on Monty's headdress is mock gold straight out of claymation. I love it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 11, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodly posted:

He'd be the equivalent of a Great General, surely? He was only a governor.

His unique GP ability would be, kill the next Great Prophet any civ generates and found your own religion instead

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Clarste posted:

Uh... the Statue of Liberty was actually born in France? Clearly unfit for the American leader.

there's a statue of liberty in japan, obviously it belongs with hojo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

I've long since learned not to pay any kind of attention to how accurately Civilization represents the real world.

I'm still waiting for the one-time deal contact where Renaissance and earlier leaders flip their poo poo about how the stars are moving and the world is about to end after you research Satellites.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azhais posted:

Or even just Lukeni lua Nimi, the first King of Kongo (but it would be nice to see more female rulers)

liluokalani of hawaii springs to mind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only thing I didn't like about the Polynesia split mod is that the Heiau is bugged so it can randomly disappear from your list of buildings, causing it to lose its effect but is still flagged as built in the city, plus a whole other host of minor annoyances related to building it :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

General Morden posted:

don't be a racist

i don't think he's being racist, he just had a standard american education

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sarah palin of america

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

Ronald Reagan of America: Bonus happiness in all cities, but the UI starts becoming increasingly obfuscated as the game goes on.

all camps within three tiles of a helicopter unit produce +1 food and +1 gold

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zohar posted:

Probably been mentioned already but aside from Hideyoshi Emperor Meiji seems like the really obvious choice for Japan if they wanted to go in a different direction. I'm kind of baffled about why they went for someone who's barely known even within Japan this time, though it's not exactly going to put me off getting the game or anything.

DLC ofc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hogama posted:

Civ VI Launch Trailer

Sean Bean doesn't survive it.

I have a hunch I know what Poland's unique unit will be (again).

Launch schedule.

PRELOAD IS UP

:420::1021::420:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, my GamersGate codes have come in, and yeah, the second code is for the Aztec pack. Preloading now. Time to get some sleep and wake up to... A preloaded game I can't actually play yet.

Man, it's going to be a long wait until Friday. (Or I guess Thursday since I'm Pacific.)

i'm excited that i finally get that thursday release but i'm soooooo bummed that i have work this saturday only you don't even know

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cythereal posted:

Wait, naturalists can only be bought with faith? That sounds arbitrary, and nonsensical as hell, not to mention making it absolutely mandatory to play a religious game if you want a culture victory.

Well you're assuming that it's the only way to produce tourism. I'm sure you'll have other options, probably involving Great Artist-types.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

On thursday at 12pm I'm going to play Beyond Earth and cry for 6 hours

i'm gonna go to bed early tonight and wake up at 4am and play until i have to go to work :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is AI modding fairly popular? It might be better to officially incentivize the modding community to compete and iterate against each other to build your AI.

This sounds like a terrible idea because most modders don't understand a thing about balance and AI hacks tend to be squarely in the territory of tryhards who have otherwise failed out of life and are only good at one specific game who think it's okay to bury cool features like new units and abilities under "We removed easy mode and the game now spawns four times as many enemies. Why? Because I can handle it... what, you can't? :smug:"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phobophilia posted:

coming from someone who exclusively plays huge/marathon/polynesia: lmao

Hey I know how to exploit the AI just as hard as anyone else, I did the "sheep among wolves" game where it's like Small/Immortal/You're Gandhi/Your neighbors are Monty, Genghis, etc. easily enough. Polynesia Marathon Large maps is merely a matter of preference 'cause I'm here for Sim Civilization, not Wow This Computer Sure Can Do Things When It Has Lots Of Bonuses.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 20, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I rolled Germany :godwinning:

how do i rename my cities

redreader posted:

How is everyone playing this? Are there a lot of video game reviewers in this thread?
:japan:

Krazyface posted:

Mandatory auto unit cycling, are you for real?

I know what you mean, "scroll at screen edge" only works at the gold bar right underneath the top-of-screen UI. If you're trying to scroll the screen up at the actual top edge of the screen, it won't happen. It's a liiiiiiitle dumb.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

redreader posted:

oh, vpn's then?

no, like, when i post stupid poo poo in japan.jpg i do so as a gaijin

montezuma got mad at me for building a camp on elephants, he's gonna fuckin' get it :black101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I probably would have been flattened by Gorgo if I wasn't spamming Eagle Warriors, which are fantastic.

I'm worried about those Eagle Warriors yeah. In your expert opinion, should I just go with my favorite archer murderphalanx hiding behind a couple wareiors or should I wait for spearmen to take on that UU? What's their ability, aside from being roided out 30% stronger Warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hamlet442 posted:

First crash. Turn 20ish. That was fast.

That's nothing, my first crash was during the intro movie :v: