Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hutchly putchly

i'm somewhat disappointed he doesn't screw up the biblical quotes also

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You'll have to pry Leonard Nimoy quoting Sputnik as my text message tone from my cold, dead smartphone.

god drat this is galaxy brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
maybe in civ 7 they'll finally have someone compose indie hikikomori jpop for the information era

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i picked up rising storm for a couple bucks. i think the things they added are fun and add to the game... probably about as much as Warlords or G&K, definitely not on the level of bts or brave new world, and i think the things they didn't touch can't really be fixed without basically overhauling the entire game.

i like the barbarian village mode a lot, and i love that they added stuff to the end of the tech tree. but, they should just make the future techs permanently repeat rather than making you re-select them every time. well this has been a problem since 5 so i can't knock 6 for that. i REALLY like that you can lock trade items so the AI will never bother you about them!

the victories are still :psyduck: and 150 turns (on marathon) is WAY too many turns for the space race clock even if you can increase the speed manually. the ultramicroscopic UI is still absolutely horrid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ 6 continues to remind me why i only play civ 4 and 5

for example it's easier to tell what a tile is by its yields than by what it looks like on the screen, because hills are invisible and forest/hills are REALLY impossible to see

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I'm having trouble with the Barbarian Clans mechanics. I don't know how to do the new interactions with them besides Raiding or Destroying the camp. On top of that, AI Civs keep clearing camps or the Barbarians become City-States. Any advice?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I never managed to see one become a city state either, though. Either someone clears it or I do it myself cause they are too near and/or in the way

basically, if a barbarian clan "can" spawn units, it will accumulate points toward evolving into a city state every turn. i don't think the cs threshold or accumulation rate changes over game speeds so if you play on faster speeds it may seem like it takes forever while on epic or marathon they'll start maturing by the classical or medieval eras. but they seem to generate more points per turn the closer they are to becoming a city state. you can speed this up further by bribing them, but the boost is quite small relative to the total needed to flip to a cs.

raiding reduces their current points. but, typically make slightly more points per turn than you can remove by raiding between cooldowns.

for civs that have a UA that activates when you clear an encampment, it doesn't recognize destroying an encampment as destroying one. which is to say these UAs are worthless in this mode. fix your game firaxis!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AceOfFlames posted:

Still, it’s not like it’s the lamest improvement name in this game. For me that is still the Japanese “Electronics Factory”. Clearly, only the Japanese could conceive such a thing!

seriously. maid cafe in the culture district was right there!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elias_Maluco posted:

My last game was on epic speed and in the atomic era there was still one last barbarian camp and it never became a CS

also true, once in a while i'll notice an encampment that will never gain exp or anything. it won't spawn scouts or units, or even a defender. :xcom: but :firaxis: i guess. was it on a valid tile? the ones i notice doing that the most are in places that REALLY have no yields, like not even 1 food or 1 hammer. maybe they need yields to grow progress idk

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 20, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if the spearman is killing you, you need more ranged units to engage the endless flow of spawns without taking damage. keep in mind that attacking in melee with your warrior will always inflict damage on you, so if you've been fighting barbarians on the way to their encampment, of course the spearman is going to wipe your injured units out. but ranged damage is always free!

i'm usually slinger-slinger-settler because why settle for one city when you can settle one and capture five more... and you'll probably capture ANOTHER settler or two as well while you're at it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 10, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i don't care if the AI can't defeat me but it doesn't matter because it doesn't feel bad, or anything. but i feel bad about rushing human players because that isn't fun to get removed from the game before turn 30. but, against real people who know what they're doing, getting such a head start is also the only way to win.

for me civ is a game best enjoyed by yourself, where you war in the very beginning and treat the rest of the game as a sim city clone of superficial infrastructure planning and management

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 10, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AceOfFlames posted:

Not even the slingers are strong enough to kill a spearman. Having a ranged unit is useless if the "range" is right next to it.

with the +5 vs barbarians military policy, slingers at full health can still tank two attacks from spearmen even in terrain with no defensive modifiers (please dont put them in a swamp). the "defender" unit of a camp won't normally attack if it would die, so once its hp is low enough--red is a good indicator but not a guarantee or anything if you're walking around with heavily injured units--it'll stop attacking entirely and just fortify the encampment, and you're free to either plink it to death or run in with your warrior to clear it out.

are you playing on a really high difficulty where you take a penalty vs barbarians?

... are you passing turns on your units so they can heal when necessary :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 11, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
kupe's voyage is good and sensible but "can't generate great writers" seems like an extremely weird malus to me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They consulted with Maori peeps when designing them iirc. The idea is that oral tradition(culture from terrain features) is valid in itself and not necessarily a primitive stepping stone before you get to writing.

that's fine i guess it just bugs me that i'm never going to fill the great library :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been playing Civ6 on and off for years now, and I still don't know:
why does Gandhi tell me "there is no shame in deterrence" once per game, every game?

because gandhi loves nukes is an old civ in-joke :ssh: pair that with the AI's time-to-react being way shorter than it takes to complete the manhattan project plus your first nuke and you get a leaderhead that asks you why you haven't built any icbms in 1200bc

Goodpancakes posted:

Man it would be really great if they just served you that data and not whatever the tourist thing is

civ 5 broke it down so precisely that it told you exactly how many turns it would take assuming the pressure/culture stayed the same

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ex post facho posted:

I just can't beat deity, I feel like I can handle the barbs but just get completely outraced on science/culture/population by the AI no matter what I do. I feel like I'm getting ahead and then I see Spain finishing a research lab while I haven't even discovered electricity :negative:

you know what a research lab isn't going to save spain from? a dozen artilleries under blimps and one horseman.

i realize this recommendation is nowhere near as elegant as what a pro civ streamer might use but what can you do?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 4, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bob A Feet posted:

You’re underestimating how loving bad the AI is. Just stick with it.

the clause here is you're underestimating how bad the combat AI is. on deity, computer players get such huge bonuses that it's guaranteed to have a sizable treasury and production base, and while the domestic AI is somewhat arbitrary, with stockpiles like that it can still be a dangerous player in terms of attaining victory.

hit it where it's weak, the part of the computer that says "my last twenty gdrs were wiped out by catapults before they could even get vision on them, surely it will go differently this time"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An excellent post.

I seem to recall you're not personally a fan, but I gotta recommend the Vox Populi megamod again. It is full of balance fixes and new features.

I've found a pretty enjoyable set-up. Huge map, 12 civs, 12 city states, randomised victory conditions (i.e. only one of science, culture or diplo is made available, in the atomic era)

I'm currently sailing a giant roman navy to the opposite side of the world because persia is bullying literally everyone and becoming bigger and bigger

vox populi is good but it's riddled with bugs that nobody cared to fix. for instance, any custom unique buildings the mod adds may randomly become Nothing, where their description becomes blank and their effect is nullified but you still pay upkeep on the building. if you try to sell it, you can, but then you can never reconstruct it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i got the gathering storm expansion a few months back for a tenner. it was all right, i played like three more games with it. i would say i got my money's worth, but i did get a good deal on it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chamale posted:

the Maori in VI are great because of the rewards for not destroying nature.

otoh the maori hunted the moa to extinction... humans and unimproved tiles don't really get along irl

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glass of Milk posted:

Third, probably not a great idea to brainstorm the special things that the Furher of the Third Reich was good at.

when a world project is completed gain grievances against other players who received contribution awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheWeedNumber posted:

How many units of what type would you do for a typical city hit? Battering rams are something I definitely ignored.

i'm going to give you the inverse advice and say "carpet of ranged units with almost no melee units." i usually use 2-6+ ranged and 1-2 melee depending on the strength of the walls. the most important thing to remember is that AI players will tend to shoot at damaged melee units unless it can one-shot a ranged unit in some way, so you can use this to control the flow of the siege. plus, once the wall's (blue) health is depleted, the city can't shoot anymore!

attacking with melee units under siege towers is good for human players. if you're doing it against the AI you're a chump.