Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

the base sequel to their game can't have all of the features their 5 year strong game had

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

People that like good games instead of bad ones are grognards.

Oh Games, you never let me down.

I'll never get tired of the goon attitude of hoping that something will suck so that those dumb crazy other people will get upset.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Civ 5 just traded doom stacks for doom carpets. Which one is more "fun" is up to personal preference, but the former was at least less tedious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just hope that archery units don't have any range. That was the dumbest poo poo for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eighty posted:

Who would even be the leader? Trudeau? King? John A MacDonald?

... Actually MacDonald would be kind of funny if he was as visibly intoxicated in the diplomacy scenes as he was during his speeches.

A real Canadian hero.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I really hope for this game is that diplomacy messages don't just randomly pop up and take over your entire screen. That annoys the poo poo out of me in Civ 5. Why can't it just be an alert along with all your other alerts that you can either respond to or ignore? Especially since most AI diplomacy messages are inane bullshit like "tee hee your friends are my friends too" or "you built a city too close to the city that i built right next to your capital, rear end in a top hat"

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 16, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know about anyone else, but I really hope Teddy Roosevelt is the American leader. The trailer seems to suggest so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

With all these little pet civs people are suggesting, they're basically asking for Europa Universalis with a timeline extension mod. They're not going to add all these obscure states that only history nerds know about. Civ is very much pop history.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 16, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Don't forget to make trade deals suggest money instead of junk like horses and open borders by default. Everyone wants money. If I wanted someone else I would ask for that specifically. Having it default to crap just wastes everybody's time.

Yeah this goes into what I said earlier about obnoxious diplo spam. I just love seeing Alex trot up every other turn to offer me three horses in exchange for all of my uranium and my last source of gems.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

a game as mainstream as civ is also a great way for less well known cultures to get into the popular consciousness

I remember a lot of people complaining that Poland has never been important when BNW came out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prism posted:

Does that mean we should remove America, too, since England's already in?

(Just to clarify, I don't think we need a Canadian civilization either but this is a really bad argument against it.)

The US isn't part of the British Commonwealth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should make everyone happy and have a custom civ designer like literally every other 4x game has.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cowman posted:

Not letting workers stack pissed me off in 5. Building a road and a unit ends its turn in the way? Worker stops what it's doing and you can't continue the road. Happened all the time and it was such a huge pain in the rear end.

It was really cool how you could sabotage friendly civs by getting open borders and then stationing units on good tiles so their workers could never improve them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hate Civ 5 trade routes because there's no way to protect them without micromanagement. Why can't there just be an "assign caravan guard" button?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

the cost, and the fact you cant wire up a broad front with roads without backrupting yourself

id often build some extra roads to the front, but only a few

Also 1upt means that you wouldn't be able to do it quickly since you could only have one worker working on one road tile at a time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That is an awful design of Teddy, holy poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When you see all the exploits in a list like that you kinda realise the game is broken as all hell. I've started playing with that "community balance patch" but I have no idea how far it goes to actually address all the issues.

They're not really exploits though, and they don't break the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That has more to do with playing on Prince than anything "breaking" the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The roads look good. Roads looked like poo poo in Civ5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Civ 5 handles happiness atrociously, what are you talking about?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem I have with Civ 5 happiness is that it's a single limiting factor on both height and width, meaning that you could choose one or the other, but not both (and it was heavily weighted towards height, thanks to cities costing 3 happiness each). In Civ4 you had happiness limiting height and maintenance limiting width. There was some interaction between them - you needed more cities to get luxuries, and you needed better cities to pay for maintenance - but for the most part they were separate, and they each had different ways to deal with them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, gold could be a factor too, but then after youve set some trade routes, it mostly becomes a non-issue. Than all you have to manage is happiness. Until you get to ideology, cause after that happiness too is a solved problem (unless dissent happens). And then there's hardly anything else to manage except deciding what to build

I think that's part of one of the biggest problems in Civ 5: after the industrial age, the game is most often already decided. If you are ahead, it pretty much won already. If you are behind, you might as well give up.

I usually play to the end (or near) anyway cause I enjoy developing my imaginary nation, but there's hardly any challenge left after 1700-1800 or so

Except that gold, too, was a limiting factor on both height and width, and also weighted in favor of height since bigger cities make more gold.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Isn't that like saying you shouldn't have to build military units to defend yourself? Missionaries are just war by other means in this game.

Though the diplomatic part of it is stupid, yes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jastiger posted:

The problem is that first inquisitors cost faith to make, so that's a cost. Second, they are a civilian unit on a city, so you can't rest other units there. Third, it's just a silly mechanic since the computer gets unlimited missionaries that spawn faster than you can generate inquisotors. If yiu have multiple cities this means they can convert certain cities before you can protect them. Now you have to convert your city back to your religion AND generate enough faith to make another inquisotor to park in the city.

It'd be different if you had the ability to generate faith faster relative to the ai and their missionaries, but you often can't. It's just a frustrating mechanic. Religion is best used as a civic and diplomatic tool with I'd say relatively minor productivity and city building benefits rather than a generator for other things.

How is any of that different from defending yourself militarily? Military units have a cost. The AI is better at producing them. The AI will conquer your poo poo if you don't pay the cost to defend yourself, and you'll have to pay even more to take it back if they do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also gave you a point of happiness for your state religion and one for each temple of any religion, which was a pretty big deal considering you could only grow to size 4 (5 in your capitol) without luxuries.

Speaking of which, I miss slavery and I hope they bring it back :can:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Can you elaborate on the flaws of the trade route system, as you see it? Its implementation in V seemed fine to me.

My biggest problem with it is that the trade caravans are actual units on the game board, but nothing they do has any impact on the trade route itself. They move back and forth between cities, but you get the benefit of the trade route each turn so their position doesn't matter at all. But if the caravan gets attacked by barbarians, you completely lose the trade route and have to rebuild it from scratch. And there's no easy way to protect your caravans either.

Another big flaw is that using caravans for internal food trade routes is a million times better than external gold trade routes. But that's more of a flaw with the game's emphasis on tallness.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

What? I dont think I ever used an internal trade route. To me they were always essential to having a lot of gold to keep a large military and buy buildings to speed up new cities

Internal trade routes make your capitol grow nice and big, and that gets you more gold thanks to one of tradition's policies, and possibly tithes. It also makes your capitol a more attractive target for other civs to send their trade routes to, and you get money from that. It more than balances out in the end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh boy, leader screens that take up the entire screen and pop up unannounced. Just what I wanted.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sarmhan posted:

I just don't see any gain from making multiple leaders vs just making new civs outright. The leader scenes are the most graphics/animation to do. I seriously doubt we'll see the return of multiple leaders.

All the more reason to scale down the leader screens, but I guess that's off the table. They're dead set on making the prettiest history-based dating sim around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nice Rome you got there, would be a shame if someone crusaded it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Who says the Egyptian leader has to be from the classical era? How about Shajar al-Durr, the first sultana of Mamluk Egypt?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mussolini for Rome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Individual unit promotions are dumb because they emphasize tactical combat in a strategic game, like many other elements in Civ 5 (strict 1UPT, ranged units, hard chokepoints).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

berryjon posted:

I remember when you could move into/through Mountains. They even had an awesome defensive bonus too!

I have no idea why they ever made mountains completely useless obstacles.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's true, Civ is not primarily a simulation game, but it kind of markets itself as one.

Calling Civ an empire simulator is like calling Star Fox a flight simulator.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've always been fond of having the option to relinquish control of things to the AI. In the early game, or playing on a high difficulty level, you'd want total control because every action at that point is crucial. But once you've gotten big and dominant, you don't really need the finesse that micromanagement grants.

e: Like holy poo poo, warfare in civ 5 would be immensely less tedious for me if i could just give control of my units to the computer and give it general orders like "take that city". I know the AI is awful at its own game, but sometimes I'd prefer a few terrible decisions over having to control all of my units manually.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 27, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Well of Souls says there's a day/night cycle in the game, too. Also, Tea is a new bonus resource that yields extra science.

I really wonder why coffee and tea have never been luxuries before, considering their historical importance.

They should add kola nuts as a late game luxury too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Which leader of Italy would you want?

Giuseppe Garibaldi would be the obvious choice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looks pretty accurate to most depictions of Qin:

Who is apparently also a moogle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well sure it does, if you offer them to the gods of farms and roads.