Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I had never played any Civ game before last year, when I bought V on a whim and wound up putting about 500 hours into it. I got VI a few months ago, played it for a bit, and then bounced off it because I was still in the mindset of V and was having trouble adjusting my strategy. Turns out all I needed was some time away, because I just decided to give VI another try and am now just as obsessed as I was before with V.

90% of the stuff in this thread is over my head but I'm really enjoying reading through it anyway. And now I want to get that natural disaster DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

You still absolutely want to take the free settler more often than not though.

This might be the most efficient strategy, but for me it wouldn't be the most interesting or fun strategy. I like picking beliefs that fit with my civ's strengths and with the landscape I can see by that point in the game. (I also don't play at a very high level though.)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have to play on Standard or smaller because my crappy old computer starts chugging hideously by midgame otherwise

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a good primer or write up on how to think about this? It's the one thing I'm still struggling to figure out.

The best way is just to play a few games and try stuff, honestly. That's half the fun for me - trying stuff, loving up, seeing how I hosed up, and improving on the next run. You don't need to learn The Most Optimal Strats before your very first playthrough.

edit - thought you were the guy who hadn't played yet so consider this advice for that guy

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 7, 2019

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
One thing I really enjoy about Civ 6 is how ludicrously productive individual tiles can get if the circumstances are right. Stacking natural wonder and world wonder bonuses, disaster-based production boosts, inherent civ bonuses, religion bonuses, suzerain improvements, etc can result in some truly ridiculous tiles.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I always crank disasters up to max because it's more fun that way. Turns out, if you play as Cleopatra on max disasters she is incredibly overpowered, because she takes no damage from flooding but gets all the yield benefits. It was almost too easy and it was actually my first time playing on Emperor.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wish unique suzerain bonuses weren't so buried in the user interface. It took me like 50 hours to even realize they existed, after I was like "wait, why can I suddenly build this weird building I've never seen before?" And now that I know, I'm annoyed that I have to check every individual city-state screen when deciding where to put my envoys.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just played my first game as Eleanor of Aquitaine and holy poo poo did the AI boner it up. One guy just kept. settling. cities. right next to me, only for me to absorb them in like ten turns. By the end of the game, half my cities weren't originally mine, and I didn't conquer any of them.

Is it just me, or is Culture way faster/easier than the other victories? I've only played as high as Emperor but I keep running into situations where I'm close to accidentally winning a Culture victory while aiming for something else.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I don't think I've ever built a railroad in Civ 6, because it seems like a huge resource cost for what you'd get. Anybody find them worthwhile?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

By the time I get it Im usually swimming in iron and coal, so for me they are basically free

The real cost is in time and clicks, sometimes I dont build any just cause is too much effort

But don't they expend civil engineers after only two hexes of railroad? That's a lot of production and/or gold (unless I'm totally wrong about that).

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I like Civ 6's trade routes a lot more because if you play a certain way you can rack up like 20 of them. My favorite way to go for a Science victory is to get both a Commercial and a Science district in each city, make a ton of money from trade routes, and then in late game take alllll my trade routes and point them at my spaceport city. The production boost is unbelievable.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Last time I tried building a railroad didn’t cost a charge, same way builders work repairing pillaged stuff I think?

well gently caress me

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Madmarker posted:

That being said, the difficulty curve of the game (especially on Deity) is a slide. The game is by far at its most challenging for the first 50 turns , it hits a sweet spot between 51 and 149, and then from turn 150 onward you've already won.

In the beginning of the game, I always wind up at the very bottom of the total rankings, because I guess the AI civs are programmed to focus on maximizing that score as well as whatever victory condition they're going for, whereas I'm usually starting out with a long-term plan which will never require chasing ALL of those criteria. So I spend 50-100 turns doing terribly on paper, and then thanks to the groundwork I've laid (vastly eclipsing everyone else on science or culture or gold, etc), I skyrocket to the top in a couple dozen turns.

(Unless I put off building walls for too long and suddenly get half my early cities taken out. I get the balance reasons for why you can't buy walls with gold like you can with all the other buildings, but drat am I bad at remembering to build them.)

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 26, 2019

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Just had a culture win as French Eleanor and holy poo poo is that passive takeover from other Civs powerful. I ate two full civilizations in total without ever breaking into war.

I almost felt guilty when I played her.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

And being able to play on a couch is a major perk.

I play on a couch because I use a laptop, but by turn 50 it takes two minutes between turns and makes loud grinding sounds, so not ideal I guess

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

It's also interesting because you kind of assume that anyone who plays on Emperor difficulty is going to have his level of skill but clearly a lot of people don't, or rather they don't play 'optimally'. It's very helpful to listen to him describe where someone went wrong but also not have all the information regarding how the game unfolded.

I'm not nearly as incompetent as, say, this person, but I definitely don't know all of the optimization tricks, so I'm really enjoying these videos.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I finally won a diplomatic victory in Civ 6! The trick is to be obscenely wealthy, apparently.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

And I finally won a war victory, on a dual map with Aztecs. :smug:

It's been three iterations of Civilization since I started playing and this is the first time I could be bothered to see one of these through.

Yeah I only try for those on duel or tiny maps, because my computer is so old and slow that it would be impossibly frustrating otherwise.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
"Why do they put such strict limits on how many civs you can add to smaller maps?" I asked myself. Then I tried playing on a small Terra map with the max number of civs and it was unbearable. All decent land claimed immediately, no time to build up, population pressure making half the cities swap back and forth between civs every ten turns - just terrible and no fun at all. I restarted three times before giving up completely.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Last game I played as Australia, I was on the same continent as Rome and Indonesia. I befriended the weaker Indonesia, intentionally pissed off the stronger but more distant Rome to get it to declare war on me for the Australia-specific production boost, and spent the rest of the game repeatedly pulling poor little Indonesia into joint wars against Rome - so that after Rome captured its cities, I could retake them and liberate them for, again, the massive Aus-specific production boost. I wound up winning a diplomatic victory based entirely on deliberately provoking wars. It was awesome.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that makes me do so poorly. I keep thinking I'm doing really well and I keep winding up boxed in and only doing mediocre.

If you're assessing how well you're doing by the overall game score, I've found that's a bad metric because it rewards focusing on a little bit of everything, but to position yourself for mid-game dominance you have to really focus on one or two areas and somewhat neglect the others, then make them up later. In most of my games I wind up picking maybe three district types which I put in basically every city, and only worry about other districts later on, or if there's some incredible adjacency bonus to exploit. (Really it's two types plus Harbor or Commercial Hub - I find it's important to build those up in the early game so that you have lots of trade route capacity later on.)

For what it's worth I usually don't play as an aggressor.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Diplo victories are straight hosed with too many civs in the game, and you're only gonna win them through genocide or getting close to the winning amount in a specific world state where another AI has more points than you and takes the brunt of downvotes while you win enough emergency competitions and free points to hit the finish line in one session.

I crank the disasters up all the way to 4 and then focus on commercial zones/harbors early on. Then you have tons of opportunities to win aid competitions, and the means to do so.

Also Global Warming Mitigation is helpful - not just because you get a point for discovering it, but because the Carbon Recapture project gives diplomatic favor. If you have a lot of cities with decent production you can turn half of your cities into favor factories in the late game.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
You really ought to be able to ask people not to invade your suzerain'd city-states, the same way you can ask them not to convert your cities.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

This will probably be my next game.

With those strategies plus one or two of the wonders that give Diplo Victory points, I've won a few diplomatic victories without every really worrying about the voting.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

rantmo posted:

I desperately wish there was a "Cut that poo poo out" option for that.

[Germany invades American Samoa]

Well, we're allies, so I guess we can't declare war on them. Oh well!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

Are industrial zones even worth it? Seems like I'd rather go for almost anything else, power be damned, and if I'm not winning by the time it becomes relevant, games over one way or another anyway. Plus if I'm ahead I can just spam green power anyway.

They're never my second or (usually) third district choice for a given city, but in mid/late game they're invaluable for flat or coastal cities with super low production, and you really really want one in your spaceport cities. They can also be decisive in war against a technologically evenly matched opponent, because they can help you churn out units faster than they can. But you're right - for me they matter because of the production boost, not because of power.

euphronius posted:

Man I have to settle my cities closer together

This was one of the biggest strategic changes I had to make after switching from V to VI. Initially it seems like a waste to give up potential land just to settle your cities close together, but the cascading adjacency bonuses are worth it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Speedball posted:

Industrial zones also get you Great Engineers, some of whom are amazing.

Oh yeah I forgot about that! If you're going for a science victory, you should make an effort to get some industrial zones down for this reason, because the late-game Great Engineers can literally skyrocket you to victory by giving you thousands of free production toward space race projects.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
In my most recent game Eleanor was right next to Peter the Great and managed to lose the culture war. All but two of her cities got flipped during a single dark age and she never recovered, hovering around 300-400 points for the entire rest of the game. It was kinda satisfying to see because she has definitely screwed me over before.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm only 68 hours into the game and I've got a science and cultural victory already, just got my first domination victory as Alexander on prince and holy moly dumping bombers at a problem just lets you spread across the continent like a virus. Late in the game the front was expanding so fast that I had multiple cities on 0 health but no nearby troops to cap it

In some games I do almost no military anything until I get bombers, and then I steamroll half the continent. I have never had the AI resist them with anti-aircraft guns or fighter planes. They are probably more balanced against human players but the AI will just take wave after wave of bombs with no attempt to stop them.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DTaeKim posted:

As for the victory points, you get one victory point if you vote for the winning declaration. Since you voted for yourself in the first one and won, you got the point. I assume you voted for the "winner" of the second vote so there is your second point.

A few pages back someone said they won an entire game by voting for themselves to lose two victory points, because they were sitting at 19 and it added in the point for voting for the winning combo before it deducted the two points.

World Congress gets a lot more explicable when you stop trying to make it make any sense as an actual world congress analogue.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder if they came up with a system that actually made sense, but was way too complex/took up way too much game time, and then it got edited down and edited down and edited down until it turned into the nonsensical system we wound up with.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Obvs only my personal opinion: I LIKE that I've played this game for well over 1000 hours and have kept improving my skills at it and I'm still not all that great at it. Once I get to the point where I can play a game completely "optimally," it stops being a game for me and starts being mindless make-work, and I appreciate Civ 6 for being so loving convoluted that that still hasn't happened for me yet.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Is there any way to filter the display of Great Works buildings so that, for example, I'm only looking at buildings with art slots? It is maddening to try to theme your buildings when you have like 20 of them all mixed together. Like, select Great Work, scroll sideways awkwardly for 10 seconds, hope you drop it in the right place or you'll have to try again in 10 turns.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just unexpectedly got a Diplomacy victory when three other civs had aid requests pop up at the same time - worth 2 Diplomacy points each if you win them. I realized that I was sitting at 14 Diplomacy points and that the next World Congress wasn't until after the competitions ended. I just shifted every city to nothing but "send aid" and waited 30 turns and it was done. I was actually really close to my intended Cultural victory but the opportunity was just too good.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just won a Diplomatic victory while sitting on 6 out of 8 capitols and at war with all but one of the remaining civs. The touchy-feely video at the end felt like a propaganda film about why my wanton destruction of half the planet was totally justified.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Rosemont posted:

After playing nothing but the vanilla game for way more hours than I care to think about, I finally got the two big expansions. While I'm still getting used to the new mechanics that all got dumped in at once, which one among all of the civs I've got now would you recommend to someone who likes to build tall and turtle up in a corner? Any victory type is fine, except for domination. I don't do well when I try that one. :v:

With Gathering Storm, Cleopatra is really fun, especially with the disasters cranked all the way up. She doesn't take flood damage from rivers, gets a production discount for districts next to rivers, and tends to spawn in an area covered with floodplains. In the early and mid game, lots of your tiles will be insanely productive from all the flooding.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm trying to crack Mansa Musa, which requires a really different play style than my usual, and I haven't quite gotten it down yet. I keep finding that I'm swimming in gold and faith, but too far behind in science to defend myself. Any ideas?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I mean... build campuses and then just buy all the buildings?

I'm doing much better this time around and I think the problem was not expanding rapidly enough at the start. In my previous playthroughs I was turtling somewhat and it just didn't work, no matter how many buildings I bought. I also had issues with early aggression before I could get my feet under me, but this time I spawned on an island by myself, which gave me time to get situated.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Two civs declared war on me out of nowhere at the same time, from across an ocean, but they didn't seem to be sending any units after me. I built a battleship and sailed it over, and after many turns did manage to nail a military unit coupled with a settler. And that was it. They had much better tech than me (machine guns and aircraft) but they didn't use it. Eventually I checked and was able to make peace with both.

This game is really bad sometimes at telling you why people went to war with you. It can be triggered by a lot of non-obvious stuff - for example if someone tells you not to convert their cities and you keep doing it anyway, it will piss them off more and more (ie cause more and more grievances) until they decide to declare war on you. Sometimes they will launch the war by making a trade deal with another civ to declare a joint war on you, which is probably what happened here. And if the war was triggered by a general sense of being pissed at you, rather than a specific expansion goal or something, they may never raise a hand against you after declaring war.

Why the game doesn't give you a pop-up notification for this is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Turns out Jet Bombers are really good in the early 1800s

Sometimes I'll be completely peaceful until I get jet bombers and then just switch gears and conquer half the planet.