Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rexides posted:

They should make sure that the engine supports runtime terrain modifications. Not because I want anything specific to that in Civ 6, I just want proper terraforming in Civ:BE 2

Think about how cool it would be in a multiplayer game to be able to build a dam and cut off the river bonuses to an opposing city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The French Army! posted:

The AI in this had better be willing to trade me luxury resource for luxury resource because the most glaringly wrong thing in V is asking to straight trade marble for whales and the AI demanding that you give it marble, silver, furs and a pile of cash. What even causes it to be so unreasonably one sided in trade?

I assumed that only triggered when you were trading for their last copy of a luxury

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The governments types and policy cards sound really cool

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
:lol: at that religious combat

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

KyloWinter posted:

Is multiplayer not working for anyone else?

I didn't have any issues with playing a game earlier today

Also, I think my biggest issue is that I keep getting over aggressive trying to take out barb camps and that leads to me getting wrecked. Should I just be ignoring the camps until I have a strong army or is aggression actually the right tactic

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

What's the visual indicator of which hex your city will expand to next? I'm not seeing anything.

You should see it in the screen when you go to buy a tile

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
But seriously, shouldn't we be hearing about the Summer update sometime soon?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
There are also certain ones that require you to have specific districts built to activate them, so you might pass and try to get one that you can use

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sedge and Bee posted:

One thing I realized in civ 6 is smashing civs early on is much easier. If you get them before they build walls you can take em out quickly and clear your neighborhood

Yeah, I really try to take out a neighboring Civ ASAP before they get walls and archers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
:xcom:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hogama posted:

Firaxis is teasing something with a livestream. Right now it's just clouds moving over a cityscape with the audio of wind howling. The stream is labeled ???.

Probably the expansion that got leaked

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If we do get natural disasters and climate change, I hope I can make a really polluting inland civ and drown my coastal neighbors

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Maybe they're hoping people leave the stream running all night - that way they can start blaring tornado sirens at 3AM to see what kind of abuse the fans will put up with.

I'd respect the hell out of Firaxis marketing if they pulled that poo poo.

Imagine the headlines

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

quote:

Another exciting new environmental effect is the addition of volcanoes. They offer some of the same risk/reward decisions as floods, with eruptions occurring periodically. When you see the magma spilling down the side of one of these you know there’s going to be damage to adjacent tiles. However, the long term benefits are there with the yields provided by the volcanic soil left behind. We have also been able to use volcanoes to add a level of realism to our map generation. We’ve always had continents in Civilization VI, but the geology didn’t necessarily correspond to continental boundaries as you might expect. We’ve updated all that so you’ll find the Mountain ranges you expect along these continental divides, as well as Volcanoes and Geothermal Fissures. We’ve also taken the Volcanoes we already had in our Natural Wonder system and made them really powerful.

quote:

Which brings us to something we know many fans are excited about - the addition of the Canal district. This is something we’ve seen asked for again and again, and we are excited to bring it to fruition in this expansion. There are actually three parts to this. First, we have taken our player’s existing use of cities on one-tile wide isthmuses (what our fans call “canal cities”) and officially recognized these features with the art on the map (which shows a navigable channel through these cities). The second part is the introduction of the Canal district. It’s another tile that provides navigation and since it can connect into cities you can actually use two of them around a city center to create a 3-tile wide path between bodies of water. But why stop there? Here on the Civilization VI team we have heard about “a man, a plan, a canal, Panama” so we felt it was pretty imperative to have a Panama Canal wonder. There’s an achievement in Gathering Storm for creating a full 7-tile navigable path using Canal districts, cities, and this wonder together.
And our civil engineering upgrades didn’t stop there. You’ll find that with Gathering Storm you can also create both Mountain Tunnels and Railroads. Even more ways to bend the map to your will and make sure there are really efficient ways to get units and trade goods across your empires!

:bisonyes:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

webmeister posted:

What's that ski field thing in the lower-right corner?

Probably a new mountain district, like how the coast got the aquatic parks

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
IDK, I like Civ 6 a lot, I find having to worry about terrain interesting and fun. If you always use the exact same min-max strategy every game because it's the most efficient and managed to master it immediately, then good for you.

I like to try to get different victory types with different civs, and I get a lot enjoyment out of it.

Maybe I suck because I don't always do the optimal solution every game, but I have a lot of fun.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Autonomous Monster posted:

Got to wonder what "Hyperreal" is. Normal frequency, high intensity?

I'm gonna assume that the lawyers told them they couldn't call it "Michael Bay Movie"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Straight White Shark posted:

I've pretty much only ever used engineers to pick up a couple eurekas. Maybe once I actually used an airstrip? I don't think it actually made a difference though.

There was one game where I was basically bombing the poo poo out of everyone and I had so many planes I built some airstrips for better launching points and to create more space for them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kassad posted:

Secretly? It literally says you have to deforest the hell out of a place to build them.

Edit: Oh that's going to be fun

vvvv Oh, my bad then

Where did you see the thing about dams? It sounds fun

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kassad posted:

The Civilization Analyst website has a bunch of info.

Ok, that also answers some of the questions about canals

quote:

Must be on flat land adjacent to city center and water, and must connect two bodies of water.
Can build more than 1 canal per city, but cannot connect to another canal (except the Panama Canal Wonder).
Can only extend 1 tile from the city center.

So they let you get a ship or a trade route across a 3 wide piece of land with a city in the middle, but can be much larger with the Panama Canal wonder

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My personal pipe dream is that the next civ game just ups the granularity a whole bunch. Make cities and improvements take up 7 (or maybe just 3-4) hexes, make roads wide enough to accommodate multiple units, make the default movement rate 5 or 6, and have terrain features of varying sizes. Bam, you can have actual tactical position-based combat and all that jazz without five units creating a hellish gridlock.

I just wish that movement speed scaled with game speed. Why do units move at the same rate in a Quick game or a Marathon game?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Huh, missed a huge change to strategic resources

quote:

Strategic resources nodes now contribute a per-turn yield to a global stockpile of each resource type, which is consumed both by one-time costs for building units, but also by per-turn upkeep costs for later units and for resource-consuming buildings such as powerplants. Upgrading units now also costs strategic resources (where applicable) in addition to Gold. In the announcement livestream gameplay, a single Iron deposit contributed 3 units of Iron per turn to the stockpile. It appears that 13 of the applicable resource is now required to build a unit, and 9 to upgrade.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rome's already in.

Russia too

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

https://gfycat.com/EducatedBeneficialGuineapig

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1073325080531353601

Goddamn, look at that flooding

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
For people who can't watch the video, what are the stuff Inca gets?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
New civ announced, Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaApZ316Qg

A very culture and diplomacy focused civ, the unique unit seems interesting

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Asimov posted:

This is one of those ideas that is so good that Firaxis will never implement it. Imagine getting more powerful in your religion, gaining strength with your temples and apostles until your god lashes out with directed lighting strikes, volcanoes, typhoons, and earthquakes.

It would be a different game. And, frankly, not Civ VI.

So Black and White?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The build queue taking this long is some senior designer who planted his flag on not having one resulting in better game play and it taking years to convince him otherwise

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

quote:

AI now simplifies/focuses trade deals when requesting trades, rather than asking/offering a smorgasbord of items.

quote:

Civilization “Jersey” System: Automatically adjusts Civilization color schemes if they are too close in color range to each other.

I like these changes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

Ok maybe I'm just used to Paradox games with all DLC being additive but when I go to start a new game I have to choose between rise and fall OR gathering storm, but not both??? Or it is additive?

Additive

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Huh, they added a "play by cloud" multiplayer option that acts like everyone just taking turns on the same save

I swear the game just looks way better, its kinda hard to describe

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 14, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Speedball posted:

Alkeydere is right, Patchakuti and the Inca were my favorite faction in Civ V, and they're just as fun in Civ 6 even with their tweaked rules. Making trade routes through mountains is badass and I appreciate that building a terrace farm next to a mountain also makes the mountain itself give more resources.

Funny to me that Dido doesn't also get mountain noclip mode since she sure did in Civ V, but hey. I'm not sure what the point is of moving her capital, though?

I assume you can use it for loyalty shenanigans

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way to bring up the overlay that shows tile's flood risks and all that other than having a settler selected?

Probably use the settler lens

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Marmaduke! posted:

So what's the deal with pillaging since the new patch? The amounts you get have gone from token amounts to hudrends and hundreds...

It now scales with era

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

just checking in to ask if the CPU is capable of waging war in this one or no

this update I mean

It's better, but still not great

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Started a game today and I spawned near Mt Kilimanjaro, and with the other tiles around it I decide to go for an early religion rather build up my army. Well Norway decides to send his troops over to invade, and when he has them near my capital, Kilimanjaro erupts and wipes out half of his army :lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh man, religious rock bands are so insane

I had a single good band that converted an entire civ

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I've won culture victories and still don't really understand how to read the cultural victory tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Do rock bands from different civs have Battle of the Bands like apostles fighting?