Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

There's also this video but I don't think there's any new info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2CQxw4H20

I totally get that marketing departments will do their thing but its a loving stretch to call unstacking cites an innovative new mechanic. For one its clearly inspired by and iterated on the mechanic of district building in Endless Legend, secondly, it is really just building special tile improvements that themselves can be improved. Next they will claim that the paper map effect is a novel way of showing unobserved terrain coughing loudly whenever someone mentions Age of Wonders III or Fallen Enchantress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was just thinking while it's a nice design, you're going to be incredibly hard pressed to beat 5's "Insane man with crazy eyes standing behind a huge fire."

Like I want civ 5 monty in every game because he looks legit amazing.

I also miss his gigantic hat.

The shimmering flame effect as he crazily gazes over his fire thing is a complete FPS killer. In this sense Monty is the true worst enemy in Civ because that drat effect used to make my crappy laptop crash and or overheat.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another piece of inspiration from Endless Legend, then.

Its funny how much "inspiration" you can take from a competitors title without acknowledging it at all. Even a cursory "We looked at recent titles in the 4x genre and saw a lot of innovation and it made sense to translate that into Civ" would be nice. As it stands these meet the dev videos where they say "oh we planned this unstacking cities from civ V" just seems cringey.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'd love for someone to make an "Ancient Civ" style 4x game. The original Civ V had a scenario where you had to race to make wonders with a bunch of custom ancient leaders in it and it was great.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What about Gorgo, wasn't she in that leaked image and list of the civs they accidentally opened on the stream?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Senerio posted:

She's a surprise announcement for later.

Its not a surprise if you saw Ed Beach open the Civopedia :allears:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Azhais posted:

Arumba is also playing Rome in civ 6. I generally enjoy his level of sperg, and he's certainly calm if you dislike Quill's enthusiasm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWDSuoidhR6uj3-sb_FAEt0A

I watched a few at work this week as my bosses were away so why not and this guy was just the worst. I totally understand people getting frustrated with people non-optimally playing (though with a brand new game where they are literally playing it as they re learning it I can certainly understand why mistakes are made) but this guy just straight up blames the game for being "loving stupid" as he makes boneheaded thoughtless choices over and over again. All the other ones I saw, Quill, Marbozir and Filthyrobot acknowledged their unfamiliarity with the new mechanics, but Arumba was the only one to come across as arrogant. To each his own I guess, but I found him insufferable. I would recommend Marbozir's videos over all of them I think. It surprised me how much I enjoyed watching a youtube series of some other bloke playing Civ games, reminded me of when my brother and I took turns as kids and we would watch each other play games.

Another thing is that watching a few of these streams / youtubes did cement it in my mind that I will skip out on Civ VI until next year, post some DLC and perhaps an expansion. It doesn't seem like the Ai is any good (is it ever?) and really, it doesn't seem that much different to Civ V for me personally to get really interested. I don't have that much time to dedicate to 4x games anymore and I think I will get more out of the Endless Legend Tempest in the short term for a much lower price. In that sense Friaxis has actually lost a sale based on letting these online guys have at it 3 weeks early.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

All of the civs seem to be OP in their own way, which is cool. In theory they should cancel out right? I think Gilgamesh is probably a bit of a loser here though, mainly because of the janky AI for your "allies" and the fact no-one would use him in multiplayer.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

So Giant's Causeway has kind of a cool bonus attached to it, but at the same time it can make a group of Barbarians a real pain in the rear end if they spawn in the right spot.

EDIT: ESPECIALLY if the camp also happens to be near horses. The Barbarians seem to be much more organized with the new patch.

What is the bonus?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It seems like this game was basically DOA. The few youtuber's I watch to kill time at work have all abandoned it even though they were basically just Civ V channels prior to release. I also looked it up on Steamspy and found that more people are playing V than VI.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

*continues to quietly play Beyond Earth in the corner*

Hey I hear you, downloaded it again last weekend and I am quietly impressed with how its held up. Going to grab the expansion when its next on sale for sure.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Would be more interesting than 'this plains tile turns to desert!' events from previous games

It is going to be this isn't it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

In Civ V some of the maps could be entirely land. What happens if you are Maori then in Civ VI, if these sort of maps can still exist?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0PYsWK1dc

FIRST LOOK: Canada – Wilfrid Laurier

Leader Ability - The Last Best West - Farms may be built on Tundra. After Civil Engineering, may build farms on Tundra Hills as well. The cost of purchasing snow and tundra tiles is reduced by 50%. Extraction rate of all consumable (strategic? Accumulated?) resources is doubled on Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, and Tundra Hills tiles.

National Ability - Four Faces of Peace - Cannot declare or be the target of surprise wars, or declare war on citystates. Gain +100% Favor from emergencies or scored competitions. Gain +1 Favor for every 100 Tourism.

Unique Unit - Mountie - Light Cavalry unit (replaces Cavalry?). Can create a National Park. +5 Combat Strength when fighting within 2 tiles of a National Park. Additional +5 if you own that park.

Unique Infrastructure - Ice Hockey Rink - Only may be built on tundra or snow, one per city. Provides +2 Appeal and +1 Amenities. +1 Culture for each adjacent Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, or Tundra Hills tile. Unlocking Flight provides Tourism. Unlocking Professional Sports provides +2 Production and +2 Food. Provides +4 Culture if adjacent to an Entertainment Complex with a Stadium.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I can't help but feel that both Age of Wonders and Endless Legend both solved this problem for me. You have armies that band together and then the engage either on a smaller tactical map (age of wonders) or a section of the world map (Endless Legend). I much prefer either of these system to how Civ IV or V/VI go about it.

Given how much Civ Vi seemed to be inspired by Endless Legend with its "unstacked cities" and "Governed heroes" I am surprised they didn't crib the combat systems from other games too.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I don't necessarily mean the way you issue commands and the units then go and do something entirely different, but you could have a system where two armies meet on a map and then the local terrain becomes an enclosed area, where you stacked army becomes ~unstacked~

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Endless Legend has some of the worst combat in gaming history.

Its not that bad, it could be iterated on and improved. Ignoring the ai controlled units (which I assume is where the issues are), having having stacked armies that are then positioned in an area and then go at it 1upt until one army wins would be better than how civ does it in my eyes.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ah it's good to see another soul who agrees with me about the Endless Legend style of combat. I posted about it yesterday and it didn't really seem like anyone else thought it had any merit.

Perhaps a simpler version of it would be the system in Stardocks Elemental game or even the one in Civ Call to Power II.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Ottomans seem absurdly good. Can't wait to give them a go. I wasn't expecting the [spoilerunique governor at all, which is a cool surprise.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It seems like this expansion is setting the stage for some good mods in the future. I assume that the climate change mechanics can be adapted to allow for terraforming in some sort of Alpha Centauri style effort. Similarly with the multiple unique districts and allowing non-standard starts ala Kupe. I am a bit worried that all this stuff will overwhelm an already quite overwhelming game. Perhaps it is because I haven't played that many games of Civ VI, but I always find myself just neglecting something. Religion, Great People, Spies, Trading Routes and all that stuff. It just spirals out of control.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The endless legend thread is thataway friend.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

There are questions to be asked if people actually want to play against a deepmind-tier AI. I suspect most people would get frustrated pretty quickly considering a sophisticated enough AI with enough info learned would win pretty much every single game.

The balance for making a good AI isn't "make it behave exactly like a human player." The balance is "challenging but fair"

I actually really enjoyed watching Civ V multiplayer online, precisely because the human opponents were challenging and the games were interesting. It obviously was a different beast with simultaneous turns and often a lot of first clicks to move your units to attack sort of stuff going on, but nonetheless I think actually good, challenging, ai which didn't rely on stacked yield bonuses would be well received by players. Some players. Especially those like myself, who want a fair challenge but absolutely do not want to endure other people and lengthy multiplayer games.

No doubt there is a subset of players who just want to click end turn until they win, while Tamar shuffles her industrial age archers pitifully about. But I think there is maybe more support than in the last few years, especially with the number of "gently caress you, you lose" XCOM type games around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there a bug in the game where sometimes an AI opponent just doesn't do anything? My neighbour Arabia failed to settle any cities and just durdled around the entire game, there was loads of land as it was just me and him on a continent, but nope. He wasn't even developing his one city really. It was only 9 pop in the atomic age. As a joke I settled a troll city as close as possible to it and it was 11 pop before I won a diplomatic victory less than 40 turns later. What's going on Saladin?!

In all my other games I've never seen the AI be so ineffectual. The other 4 players were on a nother continent and whilst poor, they still developed and had little wars with each other. Norway even captured a city state. Arabia though, nothing.