Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I have played CIV sinde CIV1 and I think stacks are retarded. Also I'm reaaaaaally hyped for this game as Ed Beach is the lead designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I'm actually really excited because Jon Shafer was the director of 5 vanilla but then they brought on Ed Beach for the expansions. Nothing against Shafer but I'm a huge fan of Beach's work on board games and I think the fact that he's getting to design the vanilla civ 6 from scratch rather than build on a broken frame of his predecessor will be a huge positive.

Do Goons play Virgin Queen?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hate Cleopatra all you want but the background art was beautiful. (also why not Hatsheput)

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Nice meltdown. Be sure to post it on CivFanatics.

Don't be hating on the guy for posting his opinions when you went batshit crazy with paid mods and claimed yourself "A modder" for doing 2 or 3 brony/anime civilizations. Guy is just enthusiastic about stuff and I can relate to that since I am waiting for my Inca guys.

EDIT: It's a c/p by the way.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 14, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man. There is no way they are gonna make a better war theme for Brazil.I declare war on them on every single game just to listen to that song, sometimes the war was past over and I declare war again.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Goons complaining about civfanatics and now they are sperging about America's UA.

Civ related, this game is beautiful and I WILL pre-order it. I haven't done that since Starbound... god drat please don't fail me Ed Beach!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've never understood why people prefer wonder movies to the paintings and quotes

The paintings were the TITS, so well done.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is why it was a mistake to have civs be anything more than a name and a portrait.

Your posting was The Great Mistake. Get the gently caress outta here with that bland poo poo, I'm peruvian and I wana see my man Pachacuti / Huayna terracing farm his way to the Moon.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I wonder if there is a way to hide your silos or the ammount of nukes you have. Holy poo poo they are devastating!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo that modern japan theme sounds so good.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Here goes my Peruvian Goon Review©:

"This game is the Tits"

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
After getting mauled as Hojo on King. I decided to actually Get Serious© on this beautiful game. Achieved Flight a America by 1240 AD.

I think I'm ready for Emperor.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Move it to your Science District.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Boy, Pericles sure is strong. Got my Emperor 6player win with a cultural victory. Can't wait to see where do modders take this one.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Finally got a win on Emperor with 8 players. My capital had 200 Production and the other cities had 100 to 150. I'm getting a grip at this game and I love it... now I need to get back to work.

Your Computer posted:

Do I understand it correctly that sending a trader is the only way to share food and production between your cities even if they're neighbors?

And are trade routes only one-way in this game, so only the sender benefits? In that case if one of my cities urgently need food for instance, would I first send my trader to that city and then make it travel back? :raise:

Yep, I actually got my win that way. Communism + Internal Trade Routes Policies + Germany sure is fun.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 24, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I've always wondered something about how goons see the Diplomacy in CIV or in general because I read it again and again since the early days of Civ, here is my premise:

If you are winning the game, shouldn't the AI try to stop you?
If the AI thinks they can win the game by doing X, shouldn't the AI go for it?

Like, I couldn't give two shits about modifiers and stuff. Those 2 sentences are more than enough for me or any developer to create a Good AI©. I'm not saying ALL AI should crash its military against me, they should try to win according to their best shot. Listen, I'm never surprised or angry when a civ backstabs me; they SHOULD do it in my opinion and it's a constant reminder to not get careless.

If anything I'm sad the AI didnt 7vme the moment it was clear I was gonna win the space victory because I kept sabotaging China's Rockets.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Dogpiling isn't the AI playing to win, it's the AI playing to make you lose.

If you're okay with being dogpiled when you're about to win, would you be okay with being dogpiled to prevent you from starting to win? What about right at the start of the game? If the AI's express purpose is to leverage every nation against you so that you lose why not just remove diplomacy and peace conditions from the game entirely and start in a permanent 1v7 war?

The role of the AI is not to prevent you from winning. It's to provide challenges and opportunities while you play.

Your first sentence doesn't make any sense. If I try to win and it is inevitable that someone else will win before me of course It is in my best intentions to win to prevent the other guy victory.

Yes to the second sentence, ALL of the 4x board games and games in general have a "trimming" part where 2, 3 or even 4 players die, drop out or have their winning chances extinguished. If anything I believe Civ6 deals with this part way better than Civ5 or 4 ever did (I still like Community Patch for Civ5 best tho)

As for the third, the challenge is that they too try to win this game.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They should just really work towards having two AI settings, one that's more tuned towards having a kind of narrative/"historical" experience, and one that is expressly designed for competitiveness so that the new Team Liquid Civ VI eSports team can have a more challenging experience

I think you totally nailed it. Wish I knew more about programming AI's.

As a sidenote: Ed Beach also designed Here I Stand / Virgin Queen which are the highest ranked multiplayer board games and I just lmao when I see someone playing a wargame with this narrative or social mentality.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 24, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

There is nobody else playing the game. The AI does not improve its chances of winning by dogpiling you because once you lose the game is over.

I believe that each leader with it's own traits and quirks and redacted text should try to win, call it a Grand Inquisition for Spain or Manifest Destiny for America or the need to Rise Above the Teachers as Kongo. I find it somewhat boring that people root for more uniqueness but then fall back because "it's my story".

I remember loving SMAC because that Greed Guy had so much character and he saw others as mere pawns to HIS victory, actually ALL of them had the same vibe. Granted I don't know poo poo about AI and perhaps I'm asking too much when that simply isn't possible. I just imagine getting called to a secret meeting for a Grand Crusade against the leading player and people deciding tactics and where and how to attack and poo poo, then you backstab them anyways.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Brannock posted:

Yeah Civ 6 is really lacking in the "sense of majesty" department.

Here's an imgur album of all the Civ 5 wonders and the accompanying quote/narration.

Man those paintings were the BEST. Rip them.

Also I got a Culture win with Kongo on Emperor vs 10 players. Time to up the ante against 12.

Now that some time has passed, who do you guys think is the strongest civ overall, HRE? Pericles? Aztecs?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I love the kongo theme. Makes me look forward to being denounced by him every 20 turns

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

^^^It's not even that the AI is bad at winning, that is expected, it's that it's also obviously stupid, inconsistent, and annoying.

The Goon Ai

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
It's really fun watching the CIv 4 squad claiming their game at release was perfect when they had to patch a lot of major features later on. Specially the AI where I could literally nuke one or two civs to death and get denounced at max because "We Are Bros" is Good AI©

I'll just make myself clear, I couldn't give two shits about threats or denounces, the BEST way to deter surprise wars is a good defending army and that has been the rule since CiV2. I believe you guys are missing CIV4 Diplo because you could exploit them to be best friends forever while in CiV5/6 they are just crazy psychos.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 26, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Rip I also have bad AI because I double posted. Denounce me!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Staltran posted:

Protectorate, liberation and reconquest wars all have WarmongerPercent="0"

Who's even been talking about Civ 4? Also, I'm honestly fine with not everyone declaring war on you if you nuke civs to death. In fact attacking a civ that just wiped out one or two other civs with nukes seems pretty suicidal? Also Civ 4 didn't have denouncing people so I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly this seems super defensive to me with very little provocation

Bullshit, you got a diplo message warning you about nuclear business and poo poo. We have become pretty much old people in here remembering things that were in fact different.

I'll say this against Civ 6 though. Who the gently caress thought auto-cycle units was a good idea. I share this with all my goons who have raged about it:

http://imgur.com/a/rCtjw

turboraton fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 26, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
The guy doing Anno Domini already shelled out an Anno Domini mod for Civ6, drat that guy works hard.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I denounce Powercrazy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
You seem pretty angry with having to adapt and not being able to beeline a lot of poo poo. It'd be very boring if every single player spawned on a 15x15 continent with every single resource and wonder available.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My new favorite moment is when Denmark guy denounces me for not having a powerful navy on an inland start. Then I buy 2 caravels on a lake for the Eureka and he goes "MY MAN".

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm playing Emperor on a 12 player map as Egypt and I believe this is the most fun I've had with a civ at release since Civ2 / SMAC. Can't wait to see how the game develops with fixes, patches and expansions.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Won my Emperor 12 player game as Egypt. Stayed Friends/Allies with Greece/Rome for like 3/4 parts of the whole game while wiping out my neighbor China in a 2 time war. I think my spy at my Commercial District killed and captured like 40 spies in the whole game, no exaggeration.

Just a tip for players fiddling with the "New Way of Building Cities". There are a LOT of policies that can give you the extra housing/amenities you need if you are ever stuck. Also remember that Farms/Worked Water Resources give you 0.5 Housing and that later on you get a bonus for putting a farm next to another. That leads me to another tip: Some techs/policies give you MORE than what you get on the icons, you gotta hover the mouse over them in the tech tree or when about to research a new one to learn about it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I hope they revamp the whole civics system. There are so many choices and every one feels so inconsequential except for a few like the 2 extra builder charges.

It'd be nice if they strengthened a lot of them, but make them exclusive by government type.

Civics are one of the best things about civ6 and they pretty much define your game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
It's 2 page late but I'll just lmao at that guy claiming that Great People are bad.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

eXXon posted:

Thanks for your compelling counterargument. Remind me again how an early great scientist that gives discounts to 1-2 techs is better than Civ V great scientists that let you build an academy early on and get thousands of beakers over the course of the game, or pick any random free tech often to advance an era over what would have otherwise taken 10-20 turns of research. Or Civ V great merchants that effectively give you more cash than many Civ VI merchants and free influence to boot (envoys).

Great Engineers? Some are good, the tile appeal ones suck. If those numbers are right, the wonder-building ones may or may not give enough production to rush-build Petra, which is what most Civ V players cared about. But the main point is you could choose between two reasonably powerful uses instead of potentially getting stuck with a weak one.

I've barely paid any attention to culture as it seems like it's not worth the effort and the system is less coherent than in Civ V (which was cobbled together piecemeal itself). I do prefer not having to spam archaelogists and wait 10-20 turns for them to do their thing, but the cultural monument option was kind of cool.

Friend if you don't know about the monster that is having 25+ Trading Routes thanks to Great People I don't know what to tell you. The Great People mechanics are a serious improvement over Civ5 as they are way more interactive, an actual challenge to get a lot of them and they offer way more variety than Civ5 ever did.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing in the early game, it feels like a whole lot of nothing, and I keep getting bored.

This game might not be for you, go for the refund.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

eXXon posted:

There are 4 great merchants who provide +1 trade route each so tell me more about how great people got you 25+ routes. More interactive, fine, more challenging seems not to be the case since apparently you can get 3+ great people every 12 turns. More variety is great except the free trade route merchant is way more powerful than the pitiful free gold/tile/envoy variety so it needs some balancing.

They also give plenty of Envoys / Amenities / Stuff that makes you have a powerful city network. Also it is challenging when you are playing MP or against Kongo/Greece/Brasil or all of them on higher difficulties. Great People is one of the systems that got changed in CIV6 and I really like it.

Now to try and win Immortal with 4 players.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My goodness gracious I always take down barbs asap so I decided to let one go and holy poo poo he spawned like 4 cavalry and 3 horse archers (this was on Immortal). I've lost 3 times in a row trying to get the Immortal 4player Win. I guess it isn't possible to not pay attention to religion with such little players.

Rip me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Brannock posted:

I wonder if they're still using the Civ 5 expansion AI.

I know it took me quite a while to get over not spacing my cities exactly 6 hexes apart.

Yeah, me too.

As for the Expansion AI, perhaps they got raided by barbarians? In one of my games poor Arabia only got one city because it got mauled by the barbs.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Decrepus posted:

You walked your first unit in the wrong direction. Better luck next time!

Bah, he shouldn't have walked 4 more turns after getting scouted. Also he can just buy a slinger.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I get the feeling that the same smug guys who claim this game is a cakewalk are either abusing Hansa/Horse Economy and or cherrypicking their poo poo or perhaps they are the legendary Good Goons©. I FINALLY managed to win an Immortal 4player game and boy did it cost me. With England none the less!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Religion should just be a passive thing. Let your religion spread naturally,. With religious pressure that you can manipulate with buildings and wonders.

It also shouldn't be a victory type.

It looks like you don't like to manage stuff. I think religious business its a nice addition and adds depth to the game.

PS: Just lost a Space victory on Immortal 6player, I was SIX turns short. Silly spies failed 3 missions in a row :negative:

turboraton fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I am here to confirm that Carthage is pretty much one of the best,if not the best, city states. It's usually a 29 to 35 envoys Battle for Suzerain© for me!