Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Civ 4 religion wasn't very interesting either. It was a rather convulted way of maybe getting a bunch of gold. Civ V's religion has way more going on, although as with everything I'll be interested to see how they tweaked it for VI.

Also VI is bringing back every system from V and rebuilding them, so I don't really think people can complain unless they really disliked V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

Game will be a buggy, content-free mess on release.

3 years later it might maybe be worth buying the complete edition in a Steam sale.
I would agree historically, but on the content side it really looks like they're taking what worked in Civ 5 and expanding it, and reworking what didn't. They aren't cutting any systems.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

I was young and innocent, once. Enjoy these, your salad days

I've been playing since civ 2, I don't need your condescension.
Obviously there's no way to judge before we've seen it, but the designers clearly understand what they're doing, which is a good start.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It looks less like "only this many buildings per district" and more "this district can be upgraded with these buildings"
They've specifically mentioned the campus district gets the library, university, and research lab.
It looks like this has subsumed the old building system, although it still looks like the monument and granary exist as city-tile buildings.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cowman posted:

I read somewhere that they also had tile specific buildings and upgrades, as in observatory is only on a mountain and pyramids on desert. I like this idea a lot but I'm really concerned about :
That's a different thing. It sounds like more wonders have requirements like Petra or Neuwachstein- we know Pyramids require a desert and Stonehedge need flat terrain next to stone.
The other thing they were talking about is how districts have synergy with terrain types- so campus districts and relgious districts both gain bonuses from adjacent mountains, and campus districts give bonuses to surrounding jungle once you build a university. This goes into their plan to move the city onto the map. It also looks like you might not need to be next to the coast to build maritime districts/naval units, but that's a lot more speculative.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I wonder if they'll go for Hatshepsut over Ramses- she's not as big/famous, but she is a well-regarded ruler. You could still keep a wonder-building bonus/personality for her and it'd still be accurate.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd love the ability to choose between three different leaders, each with their own unique ability. For example, France could be Charlemagne, Napoleon, and De Gaulle. (Isn't that how it went in Civ 4? 1300 hours of Civ 5 have erased 4 from my memory).

But I'd also love a game mode where you can assign any leader to any civ regardless of affiliation. Charlemagne leading the Americans to victory!
It was, but the move to fully animated leader portraits made that not worth doing for 5, and I assume 6. Why go to the trouble of making a new leader when you could do a bit more work and get a whole new nation added?
We also got actual customized leader/civ bonuses in V as well, which I think added a lot.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Apparently we're getting an original score this time, although I did really like the compositions for some of the factions in Civ 5.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe it was already mentioned, but it's important to remember that they made Civ 5 with the idea in mind that Civ 4 was the final evolution of the core game that was started in Civ 1/2. A lot of bold decisions were made with this in mind- they wanted to make something different.
Civ 6 is looking like a similar evolution of Civ 5- hence they aren't throwing out any systems, but rather working from the position of "what sucked, and how can we make it better", which everything they've talked about supports. The changes to 1UPT help reduce the real-estate problems that the late game suffered from in 5, the changes to technologies help fix the always-present optimization problem, and the changes to cities help differentiate cities from each other based on their surroundings. It also sounds like wonders are being redone with the idea that you shouldn't be getting a dozen wonders in a single city.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hexes are better than squares for a strategy game. Easily the least controversial change in Civ 5 in my opinion.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Harmonia posted:

This tidbit is interesting:

'As time goes on and farmland becomes less essential, you can start replacing those farms with suburban communities — called "neighborhoods" — to house more citizens.'

From http://mashable.com/2016/05/11/civilization-6-reveal-details/

Every info I get about Civ 6 gets me more and more pumped.
I'm pretty sure that's just a bad quote- it seems completely redundant with districts, which we know basically fill the same role.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Star Warrior X posted:

I imagine "neighborhoods" or suburbs to be a type of district, like market, academy, docks, etc.
Maybe, but I just thing 'neighborhoods' is just a mistranslation or understanding of districts. We know districts are capped by population, go on the map (and replace tile improvemetns), and obviously increase in variety and number (since your cities are bigger) as time goes on. Having a district which specifically plays into some kind of population cap feels very odd and not in-line with the rest of the design goals in civ 6. Cities are going have enough stuff taking up tile space with districts, wonders, and normal tile improvements.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/civgame/status/732981091208822789
Sounds like we'll be getting some more info soon. I know Marbozir was mysteriously in LA earlier in the week as well.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

One of those predates Rise of Nations, and the other isn't remotely in the same genre.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Man, there's so much new stuff going on, it's going to take a while to process. The tech tree split is a really great idea though.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I hope they keep the Rocketry one, too:

"A good rule for rocket experiments to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
–Astronautics Magazine 1937

Edit: With the unique film studio, I think it would be an interesting direction of they made America a culture-focused civilization. You can't really argue that America hasn't been a worldwide cultural juggernaut starting in the 1950s.
Since there's some tile beauty measurement in the game now, you could have a tourism boost since T.R established national parks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Better off using Hadrian if you want a defensive, cultural Rome, since he did a ton of building projects and cultural stuff.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

kvx687 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's intentional, though. They would be incredibly broken if they were guaranteed a religion, as they are you actually have to put in effort to get the most out of them. I know that there aren't many civs that have to jump through hoops to get their gimmick to work, but at the same time it's also not like there aren't a fair few civs with at least one weak or useless UU or ability.
They really wouldn't be though, Byzantium is pretty weak even when they get a religion- neither of their UUs are very useful, and a bonus belief is nice but nothing compared to the actual good UAs.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

One of the more surreal experiences I had in Athens was seeing/hearing the Golden Dawn have a rally on May 29th in commemoration.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe some people talked about this from the preview event. You earn envoys with a city state by performing quests for them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Interestingly, you can become Suzerain at 3 envoys, but the final bonus is at 6. I guess it's nice to get something extra as you fight for a city state's loyalty.
Unique bonuses for city-states is an excellent change though. There's going to be some hotly contested city states now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, guy with dog is the new scout

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Eiba posted:

I had gotten the impression, maybe from that Quill118 video or something else I read, that the culture tech tree will pretty much just unlock "cards" that you can slot into your government for different bonuses. Though I suppose it would unlock the governments themselves too.

It actually seems like a neat system for customizing your civilization.

But I don't think you'll be unlocking knights in the culture tree, even if the "chivalry" tech is in there.
There's also actual building/district unlocks there too, it's not all governments and policies. Not actual units though.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That's never going to fly. It's not even a good mechanic either, it just means religion is bad and unfun, and a player who puts effort into it gets punished in the later game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah, exactly. This is also a problem I have with the tech bonuses in Civ6. From what I've seen, it looks like they're all something like "build an improvement" or "build a worker" or something that you ALREADY want to do anyway. Its like a lot of the quests in Civ5, where you'll get improved City State relations for hooking up your Gems. But you were already going to do that because it provides happiness and increased tile yield, so you're basically getting improved relations for free. The game itself already incentivizes good play, you don't need arbitrary free bonuses to further incentivize it.
The early bonuses are straightforward, but later ones aren't. The Iron Working Eureka is to build 3 spearmen, for example. Which is something an early military power would do but not something a peaceful civ is likely to do early.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, they've confirmed you don't need to have the tech/civic available for progress towards its eureka to be tracked.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I just don't see any gain from making multiple leaders vs just making new civs outright. The leader scenes are the most graphics/animation to do. I seriously doubt we'll see the return of multiple leaders.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Making corps/armies also is unlocked through the civic tree, not the tech tree.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

I totally get that marketing departments will do their thing but its a loving stretch to call unstacking cites an innovative new mechanic. For one its clearly inspired by and iterated on the mechanic of district building in Endless Legend, secondly, it is really just building special tile improvements that themselves can be improved. Next they will claim that the paper map effect is a novel way of showing unobserved terrain coughing loudly whenever someone mentions Age of Wonders III or Fallen Enchantress.
I mean the entire mechanic is very different from districts in Endless Legend, to the point where it's hard to say how 'inspired by' it was. In EL, districts just increase your city's radius give you extra yields based on how close together they are. The Civ 6 districts are way more complex and detailed as a mechanic.

And no, it doesn't confirm multiple leaders per Civ at all. All it means is that they're putting effort into making sure each civ has a set of bonuses that reflect their given leader, as well as bonuses that reflect the civ as a whole. All the reasons they didn't make extra leaders for Civ 5 still apply. Namely the poor effort-return ratio when opposed to just making another Civ and increasing the representation of diversity within the game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I think it may just be an effort to go "See, this behavior/ability isn't representative of the civilization as a whole, just this specific leader" to placate the spergs/nationalists. Not an actual plan to do multiple leaders.
Seriously, I think it's this. The fundamental calculus of making extra civs vs leaders hasn't changed at all. They're just making what is a representation of a leader vs the civ as a whole clearer, which is a significant flavor gain.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

She isn't when you aren't looking at a photograph of a magazine.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Lol there's some serieus denial going on in this thread. Unless this is some insane marketing spiel, they've split up abilities according to leader and civ. Even if they never make official second leaders (which I doubt; this kind of DLC might sell better than new civs nobody cares about) there is a 100% chance that people will mod in their own leaders.
What? No one has denied that people will mod in leaders. You're getting smug over something no one has said.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It would be a bit weird if they made a whole alternate leader system and then never used it.

Except this isn't an alternate leader system. It's "we want a bonus that reflects the leader vs the Civ as a whole".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

He was also in the first trailer, and has been referenced a bunch in other interviews. He's 100% in. Monty is also in, even if he hasn't been 100% officially confirmed.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Athens during the era of Pericles was a essentially hegemonic power, so I think you could easily justify it. Really it's not very different from Alexander's level of control over the Greek city-states, except Athens lost.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Diplomatic victory is gone anyway. We don't know exactly what is replacing it, but there's hints that it's some form of religious victory.
Also Chemistry is probably a later tech than it was before, I think the narrator said 'Modern'.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't wait for Sean Bean to quote all sorts of things at me.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's always been England in Civ, even when though it obviously covers Great Britain/ the British Empire as well.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

Hmm, I wonder if all leader agendas will be outward looking. I suppose that makes sense in terms of the player being able to predict how an AI opponent will react to them, but it seems odd that none of the leaders will be isolationist, or focused on their own economy, or whatever. I suppose you could also try to use this to predict which leaders will be revealed.

IE: All the leaders need to be people who had famous foreign policies, in one form or another.
Agendas are explicitly about how the AI react to other leaders in the game. I'm not sure how an inward-focused agenda even would work.
Tokimune's agenda is pretty neat though. All the agendas seem designed to be predictable and somewhat controlable, but also drive conflict between the AI and the player/ other AIs. If you want to make friends with Tokimune, you know what you need to do, but you may not be willing or able to have both elements in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Good news everyone! Christopher Tin is back.

Christopher Tin posted:

I have a big announcement to make! I’ve returned to Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise and have written the theme for the latest installment, Civilization VI. :)

The new song is called "Sogno di Volare", which translates in Italian to “The Dream of Flight”. I took snippets of Leonardo da Vinci’s writings on flight and set them to a new hymn evoking the Age of Exploration.

The game itself will not be released until October 21st this year, but I will be conducting a special sneak preview of the theme live in my concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London on July 19th. We'll also be performing many of my other works including: "Baba Yetu", selections from Calling All Dawns, a suite from my upcoming album about birds, and a rare performance of The Drop That Contained the Sea in its entirety!

This London concert will be very special for me, so if you’re in the London area please come and say hi to me at the meet-and-greet after the concert! But, if you can’t make London, we’ll be doing two smaller shows in York and Harrogate earlier that week (but without the premier of the new Civ VI theme). Ticket info for all three concerts is below.