Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I have to say that I find this game much worse than Civ 5, things seem to bog down very quickly and I don't get the sense of momentum I got from other Civ games.

Districts are a cool idea, but their massive production costs means that it takes way too long to make them. I just keep restarting because I get bored and don't care about finishing the game, it seems like too much of a chore, and I keep hoping next time will be different.

I'm hoping an expansion pack will improve on it, like with the other civs, but this is the first time I find it a chore to play these games rather than pulling me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

prefect posted:

As is often the case, the early part of the game goes by too quickly, and the late part of the game goes by too slowly. I keep restarting because I can never get a good, solid, satisfactory-feeling start. Probably a personal failing.

Yeah, it's sort of the same thing for me. In Civ 5 by mid game I would have a plan of how I was going to win, based on how things had gone to that point. But I keep hitting Renaissance Era, and I don't have any strategy beyond focus on production and keep building units so that the leaders who hate me for no reason can't overrun me. Then it seems pointless to keep going.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

After switching to online speed I am enjoying the game substantially more. Also did not realize that harbors granted trade routes. So that sped things up a lot.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Honestly, the AI is what's keeping me from really enjoying the game. I dislike the fact that civs who claim to really like me will suddenly declare surprise war (only to flounder against my military) and then hate me afterwards. This isn't even late game, just some point where they need to expand I think. It's an annoying distraction that pulls the fun out for me.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Taear posted:

When they did it was always a logical thing. A build up over a long time.
Not just "You're winning, war."

Yeah, at least the VI AI could have a little more sense when declaring war. Even at higher difficulty​ levels they declare war with no attempt to see if they have the forces or geographic placement to win.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, is much prefer auto trade allocation where you could set priorities like grow this city it emphasis on hold. Nothing too simple, but also not manually reassigning every 15 turns or whatever.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The alignment system was always weird. I remember having the option to build the great temple of neutrality.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I gave up on religion because every AI spams missionaries like a motherfucker and it's too much of a slog to counter, so I just end up with a military victory cause I go to wipe out the source.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

homullus posted:

It's an abstraction, obviously. But to use the electricity example again, yes, you have machinery to make that construction process easier, but by that time you have 27 levels of "people making the piece of the tool that helps you make the next piece of the next tool" leading up to that machinery. It is an entire factory that produces the bulldozer.

Nah. This is dumb logic. If the end point is supposed to be the modern world, than districts should be geared towards producing modern sprawling cities. At no point in history did technological advance make it harder or relatively more expensive ( in building or maintenance) to build cities. In absolute costs maybe, but not in resource costs relative to total economic production.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So Nubia is pretty overpowered. I'm still not super into the game, but I'm cleaning poo poo up

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I really want to like this game, since I loved Civ IV and Civ V, to a lesser degree. But even with the new stuff from Rise and Fall, I still find myself growing bored with the game by the medieval era.

I don't know why, but unlike with other games I doesn't feel like I get momentum towards victory, instead things seem to stagnate and slow down, and I just can't be bothered finishing it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Marmaduke! posted:

I had one of the most "interesting" developments in one of my games so far. Gilgamesh attacked me as expected, I fought back... got one of his major cities ready to break, and then - a bunch of Babarian units spawned. I suppose this was because of his war weariness at how bad he was being smashed - but in practice it gave his army a massive boost and took me down a couple of pegs as the new units outside his city only attacked my army. I wonder if there was any tangible downside to the AI suffering what should be a massive setback?

Spies also have the power to recruit barbarians near cities as a form of sabotage. Also, cities under siege can declare themselves free and then the city spawns an army.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

One thing I realized in civ 6 is smashing civs early on is much easier. If you get them before they build walls you can take em out quickly and clear your neighborhood

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Stefan Prodan posted:

I always feel like I shouldn't conquer my continent though because if I do then I basically won the game and I'm just clicking next turn until the game ends and that's not so great unless I'm really high and just enjoying the visuals and audio

Like at that point I meet every other civ and I have like 50% more game score than them and I just start over

You don't need to conquer them all, but civ 6 seems a lot more prone to drop you in close proximity to other civs, even on huge empty maps, so clearing your immediate rivals isn't a bad plan.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah the districts are the only thing that kept me coming back. Figuring out how to tesselate them and whether putting another city nearby to provide another district is worth it is super fun. And I like how all the cities start blending together. Plus the wonders are something I think is an improvement too. Stops it from just being a wonder race, you have to decide if you really want them.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

turboraton posted:

Every single game I saw a SMAC video for the first time.

gently caress yes secret projects.

Conquest victory as the Algorithm in SMAX. I don't remember what the actual faction name is, I just remember I wiped out both the aliens (and everyone else) on Transcend.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Historically speaking religions weren't an a la carte menu of random traits that people were constantly spawning faith leaders by government fiat to spread across the world for sweet tithe gold. CIV IV's religion felt much truer to religion's place in history than it does in civ 5 or 6

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Alkydere posted:

On one hand I can kinda see that point, they were just the thing you spread and got bonuses from, on the other hand IV's religions were just so...boring since they were all the same. It was literally just a marker and you mashed the hindu marker against the judaism one.

Civ V's and VI's religion feels better as a *game system* where you create your own religion, but it feels nowhere near as good for a roleplay system where you end up with Orthodox Wats, or Taoist Cathedrals or Apostles spreading the good word of "Firehouse Subs". There's just no real limit to how you can mix and match this stuff and it loses a lot of its uniqueness. The pantheon feels okay since its generally you reacting to the area around your city and 1-2 starting expansions, sort of an outgrowth of your people's surroundings, but after that it doesn't quite have the same feel. It would honestly feel a lot better if say you had to meet certain prerequisites to unlock certain beliefs for later. Of course that sort of system would work best if religion was a bigger thing later into the game. The issue is if you don't force the player to make a concrete choice (or at least work to unlock the choices) the player will figure out the 2-3 ideal setups and use them every time. It's the same issue the policy cards have: they're overly granular and the choices either mean too little to bother with or too much to use anything else.

Also a lot of the issue is that Firaxis is (understandably) unwilling to just go "this religion gives A, B, C, this one D, E, F and this one gives G, H, I bonuses". That sort of thinking could lead to some really unintentionally offensive stuff and pigeonholes religions.

There was definitely room to experiment and improve, but I can't overstate how much I hate theological combat in Civ VI. It's absurd, and the religious victory is one I've done only once on warlord to get the achievement because i hate it so much. Most other games I don't even bother fighting back the tide of religion, I just let one empire convert mine and drop the nukes of they get close to a religious victory. But even in practice the AI barely manages to since 2 civs fighting against each other religiously will basically always stalemate

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

In CIV V I loved playing medieval Europe scenarios and going out of my way converting Rome to Islam

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kassad posted:

Egypt is legit around 5000 years old. The first dynasty was founded around 3000BC.

There are archeological remains in China that are about that old but the first dynasty that's recognizably Chinese is the Shang (starting circa 1600BC). That's when you see the early forms of Chinese writing appear, some traditions like ancestor worship and so on. So it's "only" around 3,600 years.

Although there's less continuity in Egypt after the Roman period, honestly. China is like if Egypt never stopped using hieroglyphics and the native religion never died out.

But China also has periods of conquest that are never reflected. Like the Great Qing were Manchu led and were significantly different culturally in many ways from previous dynasties. But unlike Rome and Byzantium, you never get a Qing civilizations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

I, too, find this DLC in particular and Firaxis in general underwhelming, annoying, and adrift, and I will preorder it just like everyone else here

I'm waiting until i hear the music for the new civs. Geoff Knorr can do no wrong.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah the walls thing is really what does it in

Anyone know if this is any good:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ai.25439/

AI improvement mod

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Knights as landed gentry and provide their own horses.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's really just supposed to be a way to build roads through bits of territory that are hampering an army advance, but that comes up so rarely that they are pointless. The AI isn't good enough tactically for Engineers to ever be necessary, and honestly given how large armies become continent sized with 1UPT I don't see things like forts or silos being all that strategic.

I have used silos to extend the reach of my nukes when I carpet bombed America with nuclear warheads

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Taear posted:

Well of Souls now has a complete list of Civs. They're not 100% certain but they've been right every other time so I'd say we're quite likely to see it.
It's not a super exciting one but it's nice to see some old favourites.

I still think it's dumb that Canada is one but whatever.

Australia has less people and governs less territory that Canada. And the Brazilian empire lasted for all of 58 years, yet they get to be a civilization

No, i'm not defensive, why do you ask. :canada:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Brother Entropy posted:

are there really any big names we're missing that should've gotten in over canada?

Well it depends on what you mean by big name. There are plenty of civs that haven't been chsoen, but they're nto household names due to not being white

Examples:

Africa:

Ashanti Empire
Ajuran Sultanate (or really any of the Somali Empires, since they did Ethiopia and they were contemporary and as powerful)
Swahili Trading Empires (Though that's Zanzibar, which has appeared as a city state)
And if you're gonna do civs like the Mapuche, who were never politically unified except as a resistance to colonialism, you could do some of the large ethnic groups like the Igbo or the Hausa, who have very distinct cultural touchstones to work with.

Asia:

Maybe a Turkic empire other than the Mongols? If you can have Scotalnad and England, why not the Mugals or the Seljuqs?
Laos (Which historically had the greatest name as the Kingdom of a Million Elephants Under the White Parasol)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Taear posted:

I think you'd find it sort of hard to bring in an Igbo leader although you could probably use the Nri as a base and work off that really easily for Civ since it's pretty broad brush strokes.
I was expecting the Khmer again, or even like...Brunei? Just something that's not another colonial civ that has loads of people with money buying the game.

No Ethiopia is madness though.

Given that they included Georgia, and the Netherlands, small kingdoms like Nri seem like they should be fine.

And yeah, Ethiopia not being there is pretty bad, and I feel like they think Nubia covers it, but again, Scotland and England

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

All in with the stereotypes I see.

Though I do like a diplomatic civ for Canada.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Unique improvement: oil tailings pond. Kills birds but gets you a lot of production. Exacerbates climate change.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Greece as well, 3 flavors even.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's price discrimination. Since digital copies have no physical production or storage costs, they don't need to move stuff in enormous numbers right away. First milk all the rubes who'll pay top dollar, then get everyone else with a sale later. You're getting more sales at basically no extra cost

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm playing as Kupe, and granted I'm on an archipelago map by choice, but having access to ocean travel and the ability to start making a second settler right away really let me get an early lead. The culture bombing fishing boats is actually really good on water heavy maps too, lets you get to other water resources quickly.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Seems to relate a lot to military presence. On my Kupe archipelago map, lots of battleships, sea levels rose, my cities without flood walls got recked.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

sincx posted:

Yeah I built zero coal or oil power plants in my last playthrough and still caused a bunch of sea level increases due to coal and oil consuming units.

Which doesn't seem right, because in real life even a gigantic fleet of ships produces no where near the CO2 of a single fossil fuel power plant.

Individual ships maybe, but if you assume they're factoring in all the support infrastructure, like getting the fuel there, then it makes sense. US military emits more carbon then Britain.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I actually like the resource stockpiles. It gives incentive both to trade them away when you don't need them, and to trade to get them. I had good good production but needed uranium, so I just kept buying it

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Man Mali is broken as poo poo, desert helps but the gold from mines and trade routes is unbelievable. I was basically just producing wonders and walls and buying everything else, including districts via governor. My tourism came from that and I culture victoried.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It also doesn't give you anything besides the canals. It should at least give housing or amenities or a bonus to trade routes. I built it in a game where I was actually able to make the full 7-tile canal across a continent, and I guess there's some strategic advantage to being able to move your navy across a continent and fill your land tiles with battleships and submarines, but it doesn't come up anywhere near enough to be worthwhile.

I did actually find use for it, all my cities were around one ocean basin, and to conquer I needed to get to the other one which was blocked off by ice. I made a throwaway city and just moved my trade routes there for production/great engineer, and had a way to move my battleship fleet into the other basin.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I just saw something I never expected. My city state allies ganged up on a person I was at war with on another continent (joint war declaration). They basically took out Pedro's defences on a costal city, and I steamrolled in and took it. Don't think they are programmed to conquer, but hilarious none the less. He was already screwed from having his capital taken, but still.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also was playing on an island plates Map, and climate change has absolutely wrecked the Netherlands. So it's bad, but it definitely hits some maps worse than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Roger Explosion posted:

It's also fun that if I do manage to get my flood barriers up before the coastal tiles start disappearing, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about climate change. I can deal with the increase in disasters and all my land is staying where it is so DRILL BABY DRILL.

That's what I did last game, it's great cause it softened a bunch of the AIs up, but glorious Hungary and her levied armies were safe behind their walls. In fact I rushed computers (way ahead of the normal point, just as people were starting to get oil tech), then started building as many oil consuming units as possible just to hurry it along.

It's pretty great if you plan it. Early campuses and making friends with the scientific city-states.