Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I heard CBP made the game too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Didn't it do that in 5 also?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dragonrah posted:

I know it would be a nightmare to implement and balance, but I'd love to be able to have my spies run false flag operations.

That was definitely a thing in another SM game, like Civ 2 or SMAC or something

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the right amount and also right text in a game was alpha centauri

but I mean you couldn't do that for civ for various reasons

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Would FFH2 be worth playing now? I've gotten kinda bored of Civ 6 and 5 and I never played that mod

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
remember sid meier reading the quote for aesthetics and military science lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
crazy how all the best quotes in a sid meier game were the alpha centauri ones which I assume were all made up by one person

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just saw the city "Peepeekisis" for the first time in Civ 6

and now I cant stop going in my head

And I'll tell myself
I'm over you
Cause I'm the Chief of Pee Pee Kisses

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

i think there were a lot of good quotes in 5 but there were more in 4

i also like the petra quote from raiders of the lost ark unironically

They should have done a Petra quote by Karl Pilkington instead but it's too long

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I always feel like I shouldn't conquer my continent though because if I do then I basically won the game and I'm just clicking next turn until the game ends and that's not so great unless I'm really high and just enjoying the visuals and audio

Like at that point I meet every other civ and I have like 50% more game score than them and I just start over

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sedge and Bee posted:

You don't need to conquer them all, but civ 6 seems a lot more prone to drop you in close proximity to other civs, even on huge empty maps, so clearing your immediate rivals isn't a bad plan.

Yeah it's not I mean that it's actually so good that I feel like if I do it it kinda decides the game so early that I don't bother continuing so I tend to just handicap myself by trying to not do that

Maybe I should just play on a higher difficulty, I dunno. I only have it on King.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One thing that I've found is a good rule of thumb, I dunno if better players can correct me, is that like production is the most important thing you can build and industrial zone is the most important district

Anyway it sounds like you are talking about early game, I think the thing I learned is like you want your first two units to be a builder and slinger, the order depending on how many barbarians are near you and stuff. Maybe even two slingers. If you can get away with a builder first unit that's really good I think. If you have unimproved tiles I think a builder is basically always going to be the most efficient thing you can possibly build, maybe a trader if you have an open trade slot.

I think maybe the barbarians also have to like "report back" to their camp before they come attack you? I'm not sure about this, but I think I saw someone imply if you kill the barbarian scout before it gets home they don't get to come kill you

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
learning that civ 6 AI couldn't take a walled city ruined it just as much as learning that enemy boss health in bioshock didn't get restored if you died and you could literally kill a boss by wrenching it one time and then dying over and over

i mean not that you'd want to, just that like there wasn't even the slightest hint of a penalty for dying other than walking back to the enemy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just checking in to ask if the CPU is capable of waging war in this one or no

this update I mean

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Do they actually fight, or flail their troops at each other better? Yes.

Can they take cities with walls? Sadly, no.

holy gently caress this problem has existed for like 4 years lmaooo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How long is it "appropriate" to be behind the computer on the higher difficulties?

I just tried Emperor and was playing as Eleanor (France), and like I thought I was doing okay for awhile and won a national emergency where I held a city that I had taken from the dutch, and took one of the Dutch cities also but it took me forever and I ended up with only 4 cities and less than half the score of the leading AI, around when we were starting to get crossbowmen and poo poo.

Like, how long should it take to build up to where you overcome their insane starting advantages?

Also I got two maps in a row where they stuck me between the ocean and surrounded by desert, are those just probably bad starts, or does it for some reason think Eleanor was like a desert queen?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Were industrial zones better in vanilla or anything? I remember people saying production was king and that the most important zones were industrial but maybe that's not true

What do you guys think ARE the most important zones?

I tend to only build like one encampment or two on most games, usually try to build a harbor/commercial and a campus, basically never build holy sites, and only occasionally build theatre squares if I'm doing culture victory although I'm coming around to the idea that culture is basically just as or more important than science since you get most of its benefits immediately.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
can anyone explain why I can't hit next here?

the game says I have to vote on everything...did I not?

no matter what configuration I put it in it won't let me hit next

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

thanks alot assbag posted:

There’s a scroll bar, try scrolling down for one more resolution

Real "make sure to do the questions on the back" energy

Thanks!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so if you don't disable religious victories, what's the strategy on deity to make sure the CPU doesn't just win it while you aren't looking?

suppose you don't form your own religion, how do you stop them from taking over?

try to ally with and bolster a civ that did start a religion so they can hold out, or like invade the country that is taking over with religion and try to just get rid of them before they can keep spreading, or what?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How often do people restart on deity when you get a bad map?

I'm new to playing on the highest difficulty and I got a couple maps where I was just like lmao gently caress this where I had nothing but like ocean and desert around me but I was wondering if people usually just power through it or if it's possible be good enough you can just win on any map

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How do you tell early on if you can get away with settling like 3 or 4 cities vs if all of the CPUs are gonna bumrush you early on?

I won (or basically got to where I thought I had pretty much won) on deity a couple times and got confident then the next game I was playing as Frederick and right about when I built my 3rd settler, Indonesia declared war on me

and I kinda held them off

and then the Ottomans declared war on me and they took my third city that I had snuck off to settle

and then the Georgians declared war on me when I was trying to get it back!!!

So I mean how do I tell like when I'm gonna need to just sit in two cities and turtle vs when it's maybe ok to peek out

That game had an insane start too, I nabbed lady of reeds and marshes and had a city with 4 desert floodplains and a marsh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Around when should I be able to catch up to the AI in science if I'm playing an average civ with no science boosts (like I'm not Korea or something)?

On Deity I find myself able to mostly keep up and win fights just because of how braindead they are but like in my current game I'm 12 techs behind Rome now and they are still generating about 1.8x my science and I have a campus in nearly every city and I'm not really sure like what else I could have done to get more science. It's possible I could still win a war just because the AI seems to really not make or use airplanes very well in my experience, but I might just start over again. I'm still like 800 score to their 1300 so that seems like a lot to make up. Playing as Mapuche so I assume I should be going for domination but I've only been able to conquer one other civ so far.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

The policy cards that increase your science output are really important. If you're not using those, definitely start.

Also, remember if you wage war on Rome and he doesn't manage to fight off your planes, then every city with a campus you take is a science boost for you AND a science loss for him. Go for it.

Yeah I use those, the campus adjacency one and the rationality one I've had on pretty much the whole game

oh yeah and uhh are siege support units currently bugged?

KillGoldfish messaged me last night saying they didn't seem to do anything for him and I tested it out and yeah they did not appear to do anything for me either, I tried to attack a city state with a battering ram and warriors and they continued to just bash their heads on the wall instead of damaging the city directly, but I definitely remember them working at some point

also on a related question do melee cavalry count as "melee" for the purposes of using siege support units

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 18, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Another question: when you get good at this, what % games are beatable on Deity?

Can the better streamers beat every game or are there some where you just get hosed?

I've been trying to learn more militaristic approaches and man it is hard as poo poo to wage any sort of war on deity that isn't defensive

I can win as long as someone else declares war on me, breaks their own poo poo against my walls trying to invade me, and then I invade back, but I'm like never successful invading them because by the time I get there they're fielding something a tech above me and I just get my dick slapped

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 18, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So like how do you win domination on continents without running into huge loyalty problems even if you can capture a far away city?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah ok i basically never think to raze cities, maybe that's a mistake I literally forgot that was even an option

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing my game as Kongo and I was gonna go for a domination victory or maybe science later after trying to conquer my home continent and I was doing ok, going about even or maybe just a tiny bit behind everyone else in science, until I went to the other continent and Seondeok is sitting there with 14 techs ahead of me generating literally triple my science

Is this a game-ending condition or is the AI bad enough at managing stuff that it's still possible to pull this out?

My only thought is maybe by being able to do some of the crafty industrial zone interactions I can out produce her and come back that way somehow, along with the use of spies?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do they have gathering storm on all platforms now? If I was gonna play some bad version of Civ 6 on vacation or whatever would it run better on a 1st gen Ipad Pro or a switch?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also even though the map I guess is a little bland I really loved the art deco visual theme of 5

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I just don't get how you can effectively use early war stuff on higher difficulties, even just on immortal I tried to play montezuma and rush my immediate neighbor brazil with eagle warriors to maybe get some builders and poo poo and by the time I had 3 eagle warriors he had at least 10 warriors with more coming out of his cities what seemed like every turn

It just feels like on high difficulties you need a certain amount of time to catch up to the AI's huge start bonuses, which makes the civs that have early aggression strats really hard to play

I guess I could just attack a city state and try to pick off their units, knowing that I can't really capture the city?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

The real trick for early war is to spam archers. Archers allow you to focus fire and attack without being damaged in retaliation.
The purpose of your eagle warriors is to be fortified in the space in front of your archers.

Ok what about war carts, similar or are they OP enough that you can just literally spam them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah on high difficulties just spamming melee units is a major trap, even when it's one of the UUs. Like for example, spamming Eagle Warriors from the word go isn't really worth the hassle unless you've got a CS or neighbor literally right next to you, and in any case you don't need to do that anyway because they're Eagle Warriors! They're 28 strength, they're going to stay relevant for quite a good amount of time, especially if you grab some luxes and go for Oligarchy. You can build up several cities and a proper development base, get a bunch of archers to supplement your eagles, and then go kill things secure in the fact that your eagles are a lot tankier than normal warriors and are going to be hard even for horses and swords to dislodge if you play carefully. And then by the time you do so you'll hopefully get a bunch of builders right at the point where you desperately need them.

Okay yeah I started over and had pretty good success by waiting until I had like 6-8 of them and then rolled Brazil and then rolled Sweden and now I control the whole continent and I already have the highest science and culture of anyone I've met so it seems hard to imagine losing this game so this will just be practice of winning it fast enough before anyone can do anything with religion or culture or whatever

Does having the holy city of a religion I didn't found do anything for me at all?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
man the AI is so braindead in this, I finally won on Deity and in my game Cyrus was on 16 diplomatic victory points for awhile

and when I decided to randomly build statue of liberty in a city because it wasn't doing anything else I was like gives 4...wait..4 diplomatic victory points???

so I sent spies over to Cyrus worried I was gonna have to declare war and stop him but he was not even attempting to build the thing that would instantly win him the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Organic Lube User posted:

Probably a safe assumption I'd say.

your username reminded me of this from alpha centauri

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

-- T. M. Morgan-Reilly ,"Morgan Metagenics"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

RESOURCES EXIST TO BE CONSUMED

i was actually telling killgoldfish the other day when we were talking about civ 6 to just play SMAC instead if he has never played it just to do a playthrough and see the story, it has such good writing for a 4X game, a genre where you don't actually have to have any writing at all but those madmen did it anyway!!!

I have no idea how well the gameplay holds up

probably not amazing other than like the huge amount of flexibility but the game was pretty breakable especially if you use a lot of supply crawlers spoilered in case someone doesn't want to know how to easily crush the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Spiffing Brit is ridiculous at breaking the game's balance over his knee. Now, I don't begrudge him that: some games exist to be abused. Hell, some are designed to be abused.

...I'm thinking of the Disgaea series. They have a really high post-game level cap but a zillion ways to powerlevel so you don't need to waste time grinding. You either break the game or the game breaks you.

yeah you can get to ilke level 9999 in disgaea and the story boss probably caps out at 100 something

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually think like overpowered synergies are fun to discover, like when I figured out i could use ancestral hall/Monetzuma/serfdom to pump out cities that essentially got a free district that seemed super strong

That's not game breaking though I guess

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and I meant to post this "amazing" starting location last night

That was a restart

your destiny is to raise this city to be a bunch of wise hermits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how hard it is to make a mod that just changes tech quotes in this game?