Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Hills are definitely a problem in this game. Some of them are pretty easy to see, while others are just too subtle. I don't know if they come from a collection of premade models or if the contours of the map are randomly generated, but either way they should have made hills significantly bumpier. And it's even harder when they've got a forest or resource or something on them. Strategic view doesn't always even help that much, because the icons sometimes cover up almost the entire hill icon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Taear posted:

I really hope that when Civ7 comes (in 2023 or whatever the gently caress) they make culture victory good again and less of a ridiculous hassle.
I liked it in far more Civ4 (and Civ5 to a slightly lesser degree) honestly.

It really sucks, the worst part about it is that the mechanics are so obscure that you never really know how close you are to winning. The victory panel even teases you sometimes, saying you're like 10 turns away, and then the next turn it changes and you could be 50 or 80 turns away, or it doesn't even give any turn count at all, who knows. The goalposts are constantly moving, due to the other players changing culture output and the totally inscrutable way that you gain their tourists. At least with science victory, there's a clear endpoint and even though the concept is similar, (make your numbers go up faster than the other players to win) you know when you can turn your brain off and just mash the next turn button. With culture victory, I have no idea how many hours of rock band spam I have to grind through, which means I have no idea how much I actually have to keep playing for real and being vigilant about late game wars or whatever

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I use those, the campus adjacency one and the rationality one I've had on pretty much the whole game

oh yeah and uhh are siege support units currently bugged?

KillGoldfish messaged me last night saying they didn't seem to do anything for him and I tested it out and yeah they did not appear to do anything for me either, I tried to attack a city state with a battering ram and warriors and they continued to just bash their heads on the wall instead of damaging the city directly, but I definitely remember them working at some point

also on a related question do melee cavalry count as "melee" for the purposes of using siege support units

Battering rams don't let you skip the wall, it's just that normally attacking against walls comes with a penalty so they do very little damage, and the battering ram removes that penalty. So basically it lets melee/anti-cav damage through the walls a lot faster than normal. They also only work on ancient walls

Siege towers let your melee/anti-cav units skip over the walls and go right on to damaging the city's health bar. They only work on ancient and medieval walls, but not rennaisance

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm having a bug where sometimes I can't click the big "next" button thing on the bottom right, and the hotkey doesn't seem to work either... which makes the game almost unplayable lol. I guess it could also be a problem with the community UI mod, but I don't know, it's not any function specific to that mod

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

showbiz_liz posted:

First try, turn 2. This game is already over.

I think even if those bonuses were only for unimproved tiles it would still be crazy good just for the early game boost (and it would be more consistent with the parks concept.) But that's insanely over the top, you just get to keep all those free bonuses forever as long as you don't tank the appeal... and I'm also just noticing that it even applies to your city center lmao

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I noticed another bug, where I can't buy units with faith, despite having the grand master chapel. Now that one I thought could have definitely been due to the CCUI mod since it changes the faith buying interface, so I turned it off, and nope, it's still broken

This patch seems pretty hosed, I guess I'll just have to give it a week or two for them to sort it out. I guess it could also be the result of me playing a pre-patch save file, but that's pretty lame if they can't keep save compatibility

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The economics of envoys usually means that you're just never going to have enough to spread them out over every CS, so you have to pick and choose whichever ones are actually useful to you. And if you're not investing envoys in a CS, it's really more of a question of why shouldn't you conquer them, since it's another city, with more resources, and it's only helping the other players to leave it be

Early game, the 1 envoy bonus is almost always useful no matter what, unless maybe it's a faith CS, and you've already got your pantheon and aren't otherwise bothering with faith. But the usefulness of those bonuses doesn't scale later into the game, so unless you have lots of districts of that type, their suzerain bonus has utility to you, or they've got resources you want, they're not really doing much for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Eimi posted:

Moving armies before airports is so insanely slow and tedious, it's a big reason why I loathe going military focused. Hell even with airports it's tedious but at least they actually go a decent distance. The only time military is close to fun is defensively or on water heavy maps because naval units can actually move.

One of the great ironies of 1UPT is that in spite of having less units overall, just moving them around the map becomes so much more work than it should be. You've gotta deal with all these traffic jams, and you constantly have to reissue move orders to units every turn because other units get in their way and interrupt their route. Sometites it's enough to make me miss civ4 where you'd just bind your 40 units together in one big stack, hit move, and that was it.