Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I've been spending some of my pandemic time grinding through achievements, including the possibly-insane Trans-Siberian Railroad one.

I started about 1/3 of the way through Pangaea, and built a city at the far end of the continent, and finally hooked up the trade routes... to find that my last city was 59 turns away from St. Petersburg :negative:

Trying again on an Inland Sea map. How does the game calculate the length of a trade route, anyhow? Is it the straight-line distance in number of hexes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Do the regular achievements (i.e. "win with leader X, do weird thing with civilization Y") work with Apocalypse Mode?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
How long does the comet bombardment take? Is it one comet per turn or do they speed up as climate change worsens?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Organic Lube User posted:

Am I the only person who wishes they could name their apostles once they get the Debater promotion?
That promotion turns them into straight missionary-eaters.

It's also fun naming your religions after political ideologies.
I fell down a wiki-hole trying to figure out what the ancient Aztec religion was named. Closest I got was "Teotl" but that's, like, the concept of divinity in Nahuatl.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Heh. I started a Germany game up... and my next-door neighbour was Jerusalem. Sorry buddy, but you're an achievement waiting to happen.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been thinking about a potential civ that could function as a kind of barbarian king.

-You can only settle your first city, but it's mobile. The city center looks like a tent settlement, and if you want to move, it turns into a caravan. While mobile the caravan could take a hit to yields. When settled, the city would be immune to loyalty pressure. You can put your districts (also groups of tents) wherever you want each time you settle. (Wonders obviously wouldn't be compatible with this.)
-You can't become a friend or ally of any other civ.
-Any barbarian units you encounter automatically join you.
-Your units, or possibly just a unique unit, can have an ability that gives a small chance to recruit another civ's units to your side.
-You can't take over other civs' cities, only raze them, but doing so gives huge rewards to balance out your low yields from having only one city. Also extra yields from raiding and pillaging.
-Potentially you get extra city-state envoys, reflecting your underdog status. And maybe your suzerained city-states send you regular tribute.

I don't know what historical civ/leader this could be, though.
They've never had Timur as a leader/civ outside of scenarios, IIRC. He's probably the best second choice as Genghis is already taken.

I mean "best" in the context of genocidal steppe warlords, of course.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh drat, I just had the best idea for a role-play as Spain.

Apocalypse Mode, Spain playing the role of the avenging Catholic Monarchs who militate against the pagan religions infesting the world, with their barbaric human sacrifice. It would be an ongoing worldwide religious crusade, seemingly pleasing God above...

Until the comets start to fall. The pagans were right all along.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Even better. Just move one more tile away.

For some reason I haven't noticed any second ring tiles get damaged in any eruptions in my games.
Would be nice if the little cinematic would show you which tiles specifically got damaged and fertilized.
The second ring can get damaged, but doesn't always. My apocalpyse-mode Aztec capital was 2 tiles away and got pillaged about 50% of the time on a megacolossal eruption.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I have like 600 hours into this game (*actually quite a bit less, it keeps the timer ticking when you have the game up in the background) and I still don't really understand how tourism works. Specifically, I have no idea how the huge tourist numbers created by Rock Bands are "converted" into the tourist counts in the cultural victory counter under World Rankings.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yes, this is almost exactly the same system as Civ V used, only much more opaque.
Thank you, this is very helpful.

I mean, I still don't REALLY understand, despite having played this game for years and literally having three university degrees, but this is the best explanation I think can be done.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Stefan Prodan posted:

So like how do you win domination on continents without running into huge loyalty problems even if you can capture a far away city?
I mean, the best way is to have a sufficiently large force that you can capture multiple cities within a few turns so they can put pressure on each other.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
loving hell, I kept a Roman Legion alive from 800 BC until the future era, finally launched a nuclear missile so I could get the achievement for cleaning up fallout with it... only to figure out that I'd used the legion's build charge ages ago on a fort :negative:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

blackmongoose posted:

Yeah, there's a couple that are definitely there more for the amusement value than to actually be achieved (I like the ninja turtles and 99 luftballons ones). Scrolling through them all can get pretty amusing and it's also interesting to see the stats (most common victory is science followed closely by culture, most common civ to win with is Rome followed by Germany, most common map size and type in victories is standard and continents, and the easiest civ-specific achievement is apparently Sumeria's - most difficult is probably Russia given that they've been in since the beginning of the game and still only 0.3% of players have gotten it).
That last one's not that unreasonable but you do have to plan for it. The main trick is to do it on a map that doesn't wrap around. I got it on a Huge Inland Sea map, low sea level, with only one other civ*. Since you'll start on the other side of the map from the other civ, it should work as long as you make a chain of like 6-7 cities on either the north or south of the sea which'll give you a 70-hex distance for your trade route, as long as you don't settle by the sea so it forces your traders to go on land.

*Canada, so you can steal their hockey rink for another achievement.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Also I want them to add Armenia or Lakota (with tribal permission). What are some of everyone's dream civs that haven't been included yet? Or dream leaders for extant civ 6 civs?
A modern Italy would be interesting - heavily culture focussed with significant military penalties against other civs. Maybe a way to annex nearby city-states either peacefully or not-so-peacefully to simulate the Risorgimento. Not sure if the capital should be Turin (as it was the original capital of the Kingdom of Sardinia) or Florence (as that's where the modern Italian language derives from).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

kingcobweb posted:

I think Cuba with Castro would be a cool one, but they probably want to shy away from doing figures that contemporary and controversial (no Stalin or Mao like Civ 1-4). Similarly (but wouldn't make QUITE as many people mad), Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso would be cool, but he was only leader of a small country for four years, not exactly an empire.
Israel would be cool as a civ that's IRL both ancient and modern, but I think it falls under the 'controversial' heading for several reasons.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have the impression that the AI got somewhat better in city building after the last patch. Im seeing bigger AI cities, and with better placed districts and more developed tiles

At the other hand, late game Im also seeing they build useless spaceports in several cities
They still don't take full advantage of their bonuses. I have yet to see Maori build a Pa, which sucks if you're trying to play a loving rock concert next to one for that drat achievement.

Also, Voidsinger Georgia was fun and steamrolled everyone else's religion by the 18th century.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Is there a reason why the map seeds I'm putting in wind up coming up with a different map than what the poster has? I'm trying to get the Mayan "city next to 4 luxuries" achievement and despite putting in what I'm finding in this thread (lol reddit) it comes up with something reliably different. Putting the map as huge, primordial, abundant resources/legendary start as they detail in the post.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The Little Death posted:

Man I cannot get Tamar to work. I'm trying to get all the leader achievements but Georgia just isn't clicking for me. the faith bonuses aren't enough to get enough Apostles out to that the envoy bonus is good.
If you have Secret Societies, then Voidsinger Tamar is OP as all hell. The extra faith from the Old Gods Obelisk + a holy site in every city just cranks out faith.

Religious Unity or Papal Primacy really help the envoy/religion game; I used Papal Primacy and had, like, 17 envoys in any city I'd converted. This allows you to focus your apostles on your non-converted city-states and opponents.

It helped that my strongest faith opponent was my neighbour, Peter. Once I'd converted him to the siren song of CthuluEastern Orthodoxy in the late Medieval, then I could take my time building up apostle armies to sweep over the rest of the world.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
gently caress YOU KUPE BUILD A PĀ SO I CAN ROCK YOUR FACE OFF

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Dick Trauma posted:

I see that Gathering Storm is on sale for $20. If I buy it am I going to be completely lost?
Nah, it's pretty straightforward. Just don't put a city right next to a volcano if you can help it. I would suggest playing a round without any of the modified rules like apocalypse mode to space out your intro to the new mechanics though.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah I'll stretch loyalty-wise to settle in the shadow of a volcano. Those yields are too legit to ignore.
Oh, I'll gladly plonk a city near a volcano. But those tiles are just for collecting insane yields; there's no point putting a city or a district in the hex adjacent to a volcano unless you like rebuilding libraries every 25 turns.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I honestly wonder what playing a completely "normal" civ would be like, like with no bonuses or uniques. Might be kind of an interesting challenge on higher difficulties.

I also wonder what civilization would be boring enough to merit this treatment. I'd say Canada but we're already in there...

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Tom Tucker posted:

Gaul is super fun but city placement is hosed. ESPECIALLY harbors.

I thought it applies to aqueducts because I couldn’t build one but it turns out there was just 2 nitre in the spots I needed. That city needs neighborhoods.
Wait, can you put neighbourhoods in the inner ring?

Also, the civ achievement for Gaul is killing a tank with your UU warrior replacement. Uhhhhhhh

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hungary is OP.

Vampires are OP.

Hungarian vampire castles are extremely OP.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
In Dramatic Ages mode, what's the advantage to pumping your era score up past the golden age threshold? I know they sold this in part on eliminating the incentive to hold off on achieving era score once you've hit a GA, but I can't figure out what bonus you get for getting like 19 points over the top.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Nothing scratches my OCD completionist itch like completing a playthrough and getting 5 Steam achievements. (In an Egypt culture game, The City Ever-Shining; Claim the Fourth Cataract; Voice of Aiwass; An Engineer's Dream; Daughter of ISIS).

Would've got Walk Like An Egyptian but that has to be done in the original ruleset or Rise and Fall so I got it separately.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ellspurs posted:

It doesn't mention how many capitals there are on that screen now, it just says "x capitals captured". I've just noticed that Indonesia's capital has been comet-ed out of existence as well, so I suppose the only way I have to find out is to capture the other three capitals and see if that triggers the victory conditions.

Or wait to see if they get blasted out of existence as there appears to be an achievement for being the last civ standing from comet attacks also.
Fyi that one works if you militarily wipe out your opponents once the comets start falling. It also works if you keep playing "one more turn..." after the victory condition.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Staltran posted:

If Free Cities exclusively attack the player, how did the AI Egypt lose their whole empire? I suppose it could have been loyalty pressure, which I didn't consider before, but it seems a lot more likely the free cities attacked Egypt too.
The free cities put loyalty pressure on surrounding cities. I saw a 3 city Nubia, alone in their desert, lose two cities to a dark age and then saw their capital loyalty flip like 10 turns later.

I had to liberate Meroe just so I could later get the achievement for conquering it in a formal war :v:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Does Voidsinger Trajan get an Old Gods Monument in every city by default?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Dramatic ages is fun with a big empire. I got bored conquering with Simon Bolivar after I rolled through a bunch of opponents who had fallen to the Free Cities and tried to pivot to a science victory. Didn't quite make the Golden Age cutoff at the turn of the Information Era and lost twelve cities. Reconquering them and beating Ethiopia to space is a fun challenge.

"Arthur's Seat has erupted." Thanks, game.
I have not rolled a game with Scotland as an opponent since GS came out but that is fantastic.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

twistedmentat posted:

I have a GAIA map script I'm going to try instead. I don't know why so many scripts love to make long snek continents that one city state can completely block you from expanding. Something I've never been able to do and have tried is to make an empire similar to the Romans, it being surrounding an inland sea or large bay. Whenever it looks like I can do that, i find out the other side has a civ or a city state on it.

Oh i didn't even notice that Babylon is out. I'll have to grab that next time I have some money.
TBF there were civilizations on the other side(s) of the Med when the Romans rose to power.

You know what you have to do.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Tom Tucker posted:

Shoulda brought back puppets / vassals for less grievances but less flexibility. Those were good systems that made sense - like the US and Russia invaded all of Germany but then 4 years later they created east and west Germany. It wasn't like what you're doing where the US invaded and said "OK so Northern France is now State number 49 and Germany from this line over is State number 50 welcome! Let us know when you elect senators!"
Ugh and isn't it just so typical that Northern France has the same number of senators as one Dakota?!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Is the "Sing, O Muse" achievement broken for anyone else? I just got it after recruiting my 7th hero across 2 games. I was pretty sure I had to recruit all 12...

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Ah gently caress I just passed 1000 hours on the counter for this game.

...at least it counts time when I close the laptop without closing the game, right?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, I just completed my final achievement from the base game! That's all of them!

...what have I done...

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Nucular Carmul posted:

Did you boost any of them with a friend? Some of those I'm not sure how you'd ever get them done outside of extremely controlled circumstances.
You can set up a local multiplayer game and play both sides. Fortunately I've occasionally had large chunks of time on my hands this year.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Vampire castles + Maui is absolutely bananas.

I mean, I hope you get better resources than bananas, but you get the point.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm unsure how the betrayal emergency mechanic works. I understand it's generated when there's a war declaration when you're friends with another civ, but as of a few updates ago it's impossible to declare war on a friend. So... how does that happen, now? Do I have to play a game with the r&f ruleset?

I've tried all sorts of ways to trigger this. I've taken city states. I've razed cities. Chandragupta is being a cock to everyone and nothing.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

showbiz_liz posted:

I think you have to have an alliance, let it expire, and then declare war shortly after it expires.
That'll trigger a betrayal emergency against you, but apparently the achievement is phrased so that you have to be on the opposing side (i.e. someone has to betray you, or you have to join an emergency where someone else betrayed your friend). Back to provoking Gorgo, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/bdomenech/status/1347752906360049665?s=20

https://twitter.com/bdomenech/status/1347754464225210368?s=20

Mark Zuckerberg is a Spuddy, confirmed.

(also gently caress Ben Domenech and who funds the Federalist, again?)