Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
A friend of mine and I wanted to play a game of Civ6 in the new expansion, freshly bought. I played Eleanor, leading France, and he played Canada. We had discussed some of the expac's features beforehand, and I'd mentioned that I wanted to see how far the global warming stuff went. So he shrugged and said he wanted to do science stuff and play with Giant Death Robots and such.

As Eleanor, I got a continent all to myself, with a few city states to buddy with. So I spread around, making cities everywhere, making nice with bros like Mexico City and Hong Kong. I made harbors, chopped down forests to get the infrastructure up faster, and moved Magnus around to make everything more efficient, with a nice mountain range for campuses. With my own continent gobbled up and being mined for iron, and then coal a little later, I made a navy. Turns out the rest of the world was cramped, constantly bickering on each other's borders. The Khmer had taken a city from Indonesia, and Rome was unhappy and trapped between them, unable to expand.

My friend in Canada and I had an alliance, and Scotland, directly to his north, got a little handsy with war. I got pulled into that skirmish, and the Khmer had an alliance with Scotland, so he got pulled in. I funneled money to Canada to help him fend off the land war, and sent my navy to the much more accessible Khmer lands to free that Indonesian city. This war sets up a complicated line of friendships and alliances, but the main thrust is that Khmer hated me, Indonesia loved me.

While wars go on again, off again, emergencies get declared and resolved, I'm strip mining my continent, getting coal power plants up, creating a web of industrial zones in Birmingham to make a production hub. There's little forest left in my lands, and not satisfied with one continent, I spread to a nearby island. As spies go up, they get used to depose other civilization's presence in city states, making myself the darling of over half of them. More mining, more deforestation, while I live in the lap of luxury, supported by fancy buildings, tons of trade routes, and growing land.

The World Congress begins to become more aware of Climate Change. Because of the research alliance with Canada, we were ahead in science, and my carbon footprint accounted for most of the emissions. But when the time came to discuss power options, I had too much influence. I voted for coal power plants to be even cheaper to build, since I still had some to make in my new cities. Then, when the deforestation treaty came up, I again used my influence, built up from city states and Indonesian deals, I made it EVEN MORE PROFITABLE to chop down forests. I quietly built flood barriers in my threatened coastal cities, watching the temperature go up, while others still didn't have the ability to make them.

Another war happens, and in a fit of pique, I nuke Khmer for continuing to mess with Indonesia. The World Congress scrambles to respond to my wanton use of WMDs, but I simply voted the emergency down, telling them (this is the quote from the emergency screen) "Monstrous power used against a monstrous foe. Never Again." Harbors start to get pillaged by flooding, tiles are being flooded, then submerged as the climate continues to shift. Storms become more frequent, ravaging everyone's lands, including my own. The polar ice melts away, visibly becoming less and less. Canada and I vote together to take WMDs away from Scotland, the closest power to us in science, just in case he got any ideas.

I've burned through my diplomatic favor, and now, only now, after sea levels have risen by 3.5 meters, I graciously decide that enough is enough. Time to go green. Carbon recapture projects. Decommissioning coal power. It's getting me more favor, which I keep using to my own ends, like making my luxuries more effective, and voting for myself to get Diplomatic Victory points. My cities are safe, while ten percent of the world's land has submerged.

Then, my friend in Canada tells me he's about to finish his exoplanet project, and the lasers are pushing it out. I ask him how many turns, and he tells me only a few. Well, I had thermonuclear weapons still, and an itch to use them, so I moved jet bombers and deployed some against random city states, just to watch the explosions, nearly hitting my own territory in the process. The last turn hits, the space victory screen comes up, and Canada fucks off to space, leaving the cackling princess to her hell planet.

Gathering Storm is pretty great y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Has anyone located a full set of patch notes for the update? It drops tomorrow doesn't it?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I think the Military Engineer change is quite exciting, and could change the way settling is looked at especially late game. Make your Settler one place, and make a Military Engineer in another, send them together, and now you can actually start your new city with an Aqueduct and rush it out. I know I've had cities I settled later on for some oil or whatever, the city tends to never get that big, but with being able to give them a nice housing bonus will help out a lot. Also, taking the golden age Sic Hunt Draconis thing where a new city starts with extra population, this'll solve the issue I've had where the city starts losing population almost immediately due to lack of housing because you had to settle in a weird spot.

Plus those new cities often need Flood Barriers which take so long to make that the floods will start before you can finish them, then take even longer because the flood destroyed some of your production.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I'd like to come to Georgia's defense a bit, with the June Update, Tamar is actually pretty drat good at getting a diplomatic victory. Get a set of beliefs that will make you either good at theological combat or not care much about losses, and you can hang onto every city state in the world, even if you miss some things like the Apandana. If you make sure you get through the civic tree and get the Statue of Liberty, and with clever voting in the World Congress, you can pile up a good stock early and rush to the end a lot earlier than you used to. The ease of Diplomatic victories now can't be understated, even the AI can sneak one if you're not paying attention.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

piratepilates posted:

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, but how do you develop a better intuition of what to build, when, and why (Civ6)?

I have fun little games going on the default mode where I do pretty well, by the end I can crank out a science victory to win -- most of the time I'm just building what the advisor recommends. I feel like I'm tossing a coin on what to build in my cities, e.g. do I want a monument over a granary, or do I stop building granaries at all at some point in the game, when is a good time to build settlers vs. focus on improving cities, etc.

How do I gain a feel for answering these questions during the game?

Also I don't know if this makes sense but I like playing the game like Colonization, where you focus on building up manufacturing and producing goods to sell to the old world. Is there a strategy in Civ6 that is similar to playing Colonization?

One big thing is prioritizing food and housing early on. You will never not need granaries, but by a certain point in the game, their gold cost should be trivial enough to your income that you just buy one when you found a new city. The big thing for Settlers is the earlier the better, because a city founded early will always perform better than one started on turn 250. Of course if you need to go for a resource you just revealed you should never be afraid of making a new city, just be aware that it will kinda only be for that one thing. The later on in the game, the more expensive it becomes to produce districts, so early cities is the key.

One caveat is that even if the initial cost of a new district you've founded in a late game district seems daunting, but you need it for more great work slots or whatever the need is, go ahead and start it up, and start some internal trade routes in that city to your other ones. With high enough food intake to the city, it'll grow to three or four population in ten to fifteen turns, and those new citizens can start working more tiles around the city, and you'll find the time to build the district dropping dramatically.

Another note, this one is a little exploitative, but if you have a plan for the districts you want in a city, and it has the population to build them, go ahead and start both of them, canceling the building of it until later. District production cost goes up with the techs and civics you've learned, but if you start a district, it will place it, and the production cost won't go up, so you can wait until you've got a Water Mill and a Granary to help the city grow faster then go back, since districts are permanent.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

KillHour posted:

Seriously, Monty?

yeah what an idiot why'd he capture hong kong and mexico city those have great suzerain bonuses

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
If Beyond Earth had leaders of the variety and personality that the "earth" civ games had I would love it. That coupled with how you kinda have to rush your particular victory type made every BE game feel the same after a bit.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I used to kinda hate playing wide, but now I've discovered the way to make it work and have fun with it. Getting Casa de Contracion and adding the Colonial Taxes policy card means those new cities will be useful a lot faster, and if you can manage to get a golden age Sic Hunt Draconis or however that's spelled you can plop down cities anywhere and barely even notice the production difference between them and your core cities. Ancestral Hall in the Government Plaza so you get a worker free to start doing whatever you want, Grand Master's Chapel if you're worried about the hostility of the local area to quickly pump out units to defend them.

I played Rome and got an Era score thing I didn't even know existed before, getting to ten cities before anyone else does.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Has anyone else noticed the AI seeming to take pantheons deliberately so you can't have one that would be good in your particular situation? I've been in desert areas and thought about how cool it'd be to get Desert Folklore, but by the time my turn to pick comes up, it's gone. OR I'll have a ton of marshes/floodplains I could use Lady of the Reeds and Marshes on, and that one's only taken when I could make use of it. Same with Dance of the Aurora, if I have a tundra start, it's always gone by the time I can pick, but when I'm not in tundra or anywhere near it, it's available. Obviously I can pick whatever I want with a lucky relic or meeting a religious city state first, but when I have to do God-King policy to pick, it always seems slower, so Religious Settlements is taken almost every time, as well as whatever start I could benefit from.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
There's a fun caveat to that one: City States can't take actual civ capitals, whether original or a moved capital because the first one was lost. They'll just attack it until they're dead with the city remaining at 1 HP. Had Japan try to throw down with me once, sending a huge army to my lands, not realizing I had three city states allied and on his back border. They went apeshit and burned down two cities then assaulted the capital boldly, but futilely. Eventually one of them got low enough with their remaining troops that I levied the couple that were left and took it myself.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

DTaeKim posted:

I always plant a scout in the direction of my closest neighbor as an early invasion warning.

I've started to copy PotatoWhiskey's aggressive opening of two scouts and then nothing but settlers out of the capital until your nearby land is occupied. I'm starting to enjoy the game more thanks to his videos.

Potato McWhiskey teaches the game well and he improved me even though I'm a relative veteran Civ player (started with Civ 5 and Beyond Earth but that's still nearly a decade)

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

TorakFade posted:

re: the new frontier pass, what is a "game mode"? Is that like the australia scenario or nuclear death thing? Because I'm really not interested in those, they feel very gimmicky, also the game has a ton of civs already - with the expansions, at least - and I played maybe 1/3rd of them, find myself playing regularly maybe 1/5th (I should really try "random civ" starts and force myself to change it up a bit...)

the most important thing seems to be new units/districts/resources, potentially, and maybe new mechanics if they do add those to the main game mode and not just to silly scenarios, but having one or two new things every 2 months is not terribly appealing, especially when I have to pay the 40€ upfront, presumably. I might be too old for this "season pass" nonsense

One of the devs said on twitter that the game modes are togglable things you can add to the base game, not scenarios like Black Death. Which might mean they'll add the Black Death mechanics as a toggle, which would be sick.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Just played the Maya and had a city grow to 25 population by 1900, which I know isn't super impressive but I honestly wasn't trying that hard. Went to space in 1926. Good clean. Hilariously, Simon Bolivar was in the game as my northwestern neighbor, and he got steamrolled by my northeastern neighbor, the Zulus, so I made every overture of peace and love to be his friend the whole game. It was crazy, I don't usually see an AI civ take out another completely, usually there will be straggler cities, but Shaka was cut throat as hell. Bolivar was out by the end of the Medieval Era.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Taear posted:

It's weird that they've done the Bermuda triangle when it's barely a thing in public consciousness now, like they missed the boat there.

Are you saying the relevance of this wonder has shipped out?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
My tendency to prioritize science techs and culture civics I already have the boost for has led me to not actually be able to build an Impi when I played the Zulus because you can research Pike and Shot without having the tech for Impi/Pikemen

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
These new game mods feel like the dev team is amatuerishly modding their own game, and it's honestly loving great. I really hope they do a single/multiplayer game mode with the alien assets they put in for Red Death, and maybe something with dinosaurs. Because I'm 1200 hours into Civ 6 at this point, so WHY FUCKIN NOT!?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Y'all should try Scythia and go Sanguine Pact. Vampires are nuts yo, and it doesn't matter whose units die near them, so even though the horse archers are pretty weak, they're cheap and get into position to die quite easily.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

skeleton warrior posted:

Two notes on rebel cities: first, you can keep hitting them for loyalty as well (though weirdly they're much more diligent about killing your cultists if you leave them undefended) to shorten the time to falling to you; and second, multiple rebel cities provide loyalty to each other! Which means you have to be a little careful about hitting a bunch of cities at the same time, or you'll create a rebel bloc that takes a lot of work to pull to you.

This is incredibly easy to do on the Six Armed Snowflake map, even before cultists. I had a game where three different civs planted two or three new cities each in the middle, and then a series of wars caused everything to fall and flip. The middle map was a solid glut of black that no one could break because we just happened to get walls researched just after (this was an Epic speed game). The actual civilizations had to live on the arms and couldn't progress back to the middle for a really long time.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Chad Sexington posted:

Has anyone actually tried to ride out the apocalypse to get the achievement for being the last one standing? My Chandragupta game would have been a good candidate in hindsight because I was dominating a pangaea map and I assume your odds are mostly based on surface area you occupy?

Still on my Ethiopia game and a culture or religious victory seems most likely.

I did do a really long game, but I should turned the turn limit off. 500 turns wasn't enough to destroy civilization even rushing science and pumping as much CO2 as I could. Of course, it was also a Large map. Maybe do a Small map and still turn off the turn limit.

And turn off a few of the victory types too maybe so you don't have to worry about fending off religious units clogging up the game.

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 30, 2020

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

alpha_destroy posted:

Haven't played in a couple years. Decided to pick it back up.

My first civ game was civ 3 and I've been maining the Romans pretty much the whole time. So imagine my surprise when i realized that I don't think I get Trajan. Is it me or are the Romans a bit boring?

Whether on purpose or accidentally, Rome's design in Civ 6 is one of the best beginner civs. Since you have one less building to worry about and free roads to help your people get around, with an early enough unique unit, Rome is easy to learn the game with and not have quite as many early game decisions. And with free bonus culture from that monument, you get through those first few civics quickly enough to have an advantage that makes up for lack of experience in knowing what to focus on.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Something's got to be wrong with John Curtin's AI, I've never had him in a game and not had a surprise war within fifty turns of meeting him. I've been friendly with him, no negative relationship points that I can see, and bam. If they ever put in a ban list he's going on it whenever I want to not have a domination game, he just throws a wrench into peaceful plans showing up on my doorstep with a dozen units.

This did lead to something kinda funny once, I had Nubia between me and Australian lands. I'd been forging good relations with Amanitore, and I saw his units coming through her territory to come fight me. Thankfully, I managed to leverage his war declaration grievances into her joining the war after letting him advance with his horses, and he went from 500 military strength to less than 100 without me having to do much other than kill one guy that snuck through. Her walls and archers just shredded him.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Aztecs got a neat little stealth buff with the various amenity changes and the change to Entertainment Districts giving adjacency bonus to Theater Squares. Since their unique building is in the ED, and gives faith, it synergizes well enough with a culture victory. Makes them accidentally slide sorta into the same gameplay style as Gorgo where you conquer a neighbor or two early then be a shining beacon of art and tourist sites. I've found myself not really liking Aztec for later game, feeling like I wasn't sure where to go since everything they have is so early game central. This helps a lot with that.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Proper application of Victor, an encampment, and their Oppidum, and you will have a city completely unconquerable until planes and nukes are invented. You could get six attacks from the city alone, assuming Victor's promotion works with the Oppidum, no reason to assume it wouldn't.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

ScubaSteve2K10 posted:

This is 440 units of production as a reward for building a 540+ production wonder. Certainly it's cheaper to slap in Agoge and hard build these units?

Too bad it's a production bonus to anti-cav

I believe the units created by Statue of Zeus are maintenance free, I built it and I don't think my GPT went down, in fact it went up because of the extra 3. Besides, if you want to talk policy cards making things cheaper to build, just be Autocracy and have the extra production to wonders card from State Workforce civic. Monument to the Gods pantheon too, especially if you want to build other stuff.

Of course, given that it also requires a Barracks in an Encampment, you're probably still right if all you want is the units, but it's also fun to build wonders.

EDIT: I just had a thought, anyone tried building this as Greece yet? Would be pretty sick if it gave Hoplites instead of spearmen.

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 25, 2020

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Decided to check for myself, Statue of Zeus does create Hoplites for Greece.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Albino Squirrel posted:

Wait, can you put neighbourhoods in the inner ring?

Also, the civ achievement for Gaul is killing a tank with your UU warrior replacement. Uhhhhhhh

This is more doable than you think, although it'll require some fiddling around with the flanking, being near other units, some promotions, probably a great general. I've heard someone say, though I don't have proof, that you can get that UU to 100 strength.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

World Famous W posted:

Moving around a carpet of units sounds like the opposite of fun!

It's fun when they're all cavalry, that's the only time.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Pirates needs to be longer. I get why some may not enjoy it but that was really fun! With one ship to start with 60 turns blows by in ten minutes.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hey, I just completed my final achievement from the base game! That's all of them!

...what have I done...

Did you boost any of them with a friend? Some of those I'm not sure how you'd ever get them done outside of extremely controlled circumstances.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Pretty much went "hell yes" at every word of this update. Sounds like a fun mode, and a much needed buff to Cliffs of Dover! Time to play Victoria or Eleanor on a true start earth

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Blockhouse posted:

I finally finally finally have a good game going as Persia but I can't tell if that's me getting better at understanding the game or if it's dumb luck. I started in a very luxury rich (and later fairly iron rich as it turns out) area walled in by mountains, the northern coast of the map, and city states to buffer me from barbarian attacks. My only close neighbor was the Ottomans directly to my south and I had them wiped out by turn 10. I've expanded to five cities including Istanbul Constantinople, two of which have iron mines and one of which is a production juggernaut, with roads and trade routes spider-webbing across the country. I've got builders with like six charges pumping out Pairidaezas everywhere I can and I'm like #2 on the culture leaderboard.

Now I've got a surprise war declared on Poland and am currently marching Immortals and archers down a mountain pass, knowing that Jadwiga basically does not have anything to stop me (homegirl doesn't even have iron or horses).

It feels good to not be completely on my rear end at the end of the classical era for a change.

Sometimes it just clicks and it's hard to tell when or how it happened. There's a period of time where you'll feel like a dumbass struggling just not to be overwhelmed (like me) and then you'll feel like you've gotten good and can win any victory condition on the lower difficulties as whoever you want. When you feel like you've reached a skill plateau, feel free to start watching videos from people like PotatoMcWhiskey, there's stuff that you can learn that the game doesn't teach well on its own that'll make you skyrocket and start really breaking the game over your knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I made the most useless city state spawn for fun. A barb camp was in the bottom corner of the map on an Inland Sea, with a mountain nest to it, so it only had a couple of snow tiles and the mountain. It was Kandy, and started on a holy site. I have no idea how long it will take to finish that, I stopped the game a little after.