Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Is it just me or does this game have a strong bias when "randomly" selecting my leader when I roll a new game? I get Alexander like every drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Iirc the random number generator had a problem but leader selection was fair in the mid-long run for v and vi

It doesn't happen every time, but whenever I go to create a new game and set it to random leader, the first game almost always comes up Alexander, and then i go into the menu to hit Restart to roll a new map and civ with the same settings, then it'll pick something else.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Looks like the Expansion Bundle is on sale for 25% off on the Switch eShop. $39 is a bit more affordable for an expansion than $50.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Am I the only person who wishes they could name their apostles once they get the Debater promotion?
That promotion turns them into straight missionary-eaters.

It's also fun naming your religions after political ideologies.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh I thought of another thing - a certain percentage of a razed city's population could be added to your city's population. (You could say they joined willingly, this game probably shouldn't explicitly have slavery in it)

Just implicitly with capitalism.

The game definitely should have a refugee mechanic.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How do I do that on Switch?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kinda wish there were different sizes of the TSL map available...

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just make it an Illuminati/INWO minigame that gives bonuses and debuffs.

Random science boosts to those who have the Reptiloid conspiracy, but you also randomly lose a population for adrenochrome production, etc.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ooh wonder if we'll get some sort of Church of the Grail that plays into secret societies somehow.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This feels just like when I was in high school and waiting for the next MTG expansion. Never thought it'd happen in the Civ ecology though.
"Ooh, they're adding flanking. Wait, what's this phasing poo poo?"

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Why wouldn't you settle near a volcano? Just don't put any important districts in its first ring, and you've got farms that don't need a builder to improve.

I love volcanos.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kaal posted:

In Apocalypse Mode the Disaster settings are set to 4. Any setting above 2 gives volcanoes a two tile radius of effect.

Even better. Just move one more tile away.

For some reason I haven't noticed any second ring tiles get damaged in any eruptions in my games.
Would be nice if the little cinematic would show you which tiles specifically got damaged and fertilized.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Welp the game updated itself this morning (on Switch) and ever since it says there's a new update available every time I start the game, and when I click download it spins for a second and then displays the same "new update available" screen. If I just hit "Start Software" it starts the game but suddenly the Maya and Gran Colombia pack is gone (Frontier pass still shows as installed) and it won't let me load save files made while that expansion was enabled.
I'm assuming I should just nuke it and redownload?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This is on Switch, not Steam, sadly.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Playing on switch, are there any known issues with Maya and gran Colombia? It reads as not purchased on my dlc list even after a new install, and because it it switch I don’t have any option to install dlcs individually

I'm having the same issue. Checking for corrupt data didn't help so now I'm just redownloading. Guess I'll see in an hour or so if that fixed poo poo. My Plex server is dead anyway so I guess I have the spare bandwidth.
This is probably because they have the same expansion data in two different packages (standalone and frontier pass) but who knows. Looks like this has been happening to people frequently with the frontier pass.

Edit: redownloading didn't do poo poo. Sonsoffuckingbitches.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 16, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So apparently my issue has been forwarded to the development team, so who the gently caress knows when I'll get to play with the Frontier Pass again.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I didn't buy the pass because Apocalypse mode didn't really do much for me and there were too many other unknowns. This seems a hell of a lot more interesting, and while I'm going to wait and see how broken/unplayable it is this will probably be a purchase for me next weekend.

I was briefly locked out of the expansion content on my Switch, and while I waited for tech support to tell me how to fix the issue, I played every game with disasters set to 4 because I missed apocalypse mode.

BTW if any Switch users have problems with the DLC, a potential fix is to delete the software off your console and then when you go into the estore to redownload, *press the L button as you select "Redownload,"* and it will reinstall just the base game and then you can go into the store and reinstall the DLC manually.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I almost always go with work ethic and meeting houses. I also call my religions things like Marxism or Communism.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Having a lot of fun with a Chandragupta game. I have to be kind of goosed into playing for Domination victories, but this has been a fun one.

Varus + Arthashastra + Wars Of Territorial Expansion = 10-turn elephant tsunamis

I just got Gunpowder, so I think the Varus are approaching the end of the usefulness and I'll have to pick up the wars again once they become tanks. Also going to try and get the achievement for using nukes.

Yeah it's hard for me to be a straight up warmonger. I usually wind up going for cultural victories when I can.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Voidsinger Trump

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Buy Civ VI in a year when the Frontier Pass expansions are all out and there's a GOTY edition.

Edit: if we're all still alive by then.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Now i want a V:TM 4x game.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My switch version crashes at least once per game.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

As if we needed further proof that Diplo victory was broken, a dude on Reddit won it as Kupe without founding any cities.

This feels like beating that one Farcry game by just farting around in the starting room for five minutes. Like the final boss tells you.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cool, the expansion is already not showing up on my switch even though it downloaded and installed an update.
Good thing cable companies haven't really been enforcing thresholds, this game is eating a bunch of my bandwidth.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

super fart shooter posted:

I'm having a bug where sometimes I can't click the big "next" button thing on the bottom right, and the hotkey doesn't seem to work either... which makes the game almost unplayable lol. I guess it could also be a problem with the community UI mod, but I don't know, it's not any function specific to that mod

Happening to me with zero mods because I'm on Switch. Goddamn their updates break the poo poo out of my game every time.

I also don't get any notifications anymore, so if I don't hear the sound, I have no idea a new barb camp has spawned til I stumble across it.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I don't think even 2K knows.

My switch problems are currently languishing in the second-level support queue. The Catherine pack just doesn't even give me the option to install it despite being purchased, and I just did a full reinstall of the software and the DLC to try to get my notification log back, with no effect.
I'm about to lose my cherublike demeanor with them.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Be nice if they could figure out how to not completely break the game with every update. Haven't really been able to play since this frontier pass poo poo started.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Feature not bug. Release OP stuff early then nerf it later. The OPness encourages people to buy it, and when you need to get some DLC out, you are better off overtuning something rather then trying to balance it.

No I mean I literally can't play the game. It's broken.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah I'm about to just pull the latest DLC and see if it restores any playability. Still waiting on their dev team to fix it, I guess.
I'm about a week or two from bitching at them til I get a refund.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Probably a safe assumption I'd say.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

your username reminded me of this from alpha centauri

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

-- T. M. Morgan-Reilly ,"Morgan Metagenics"

gently caress, I think my nerve staple came loose.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just got my game working again, if you're on a console and the Ethiopia DLC broke your shortcut buttons for your production menus, you'll have to delete your save data to fix it, looks like. You can, however, back up save files you really want to keep to your 2k account (I say gently caress em).

Edit: did...did the Scout's dog get replaced with a cat?
Edit 2: it got replaced with three cats, and the unit icon is a cat head now. WTF.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 28, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Why/how does one decide to go to war with city states? I kinda view them as neat little buffs I can pick up with their suzerain bonuses, is the trade-off of having One More City worth more than suzerain bonuses?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Be nice if we could just keep the bonus after conquering them. A billion grievance points to any rear end in a top hat that wipes Nazca lines and Olmec heads out of the world for good.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Playing as vampires is rough on my old man eyes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This poo poo won't stop loving crashing.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

homullus posted:

In terms of platform, maybe you should, uh, switch.

I'd love to but it's all I have at the moment. I'm just amazed that a console game is having so many problems. I don't even have mods that can theoretically muck things up even more, just these expansion packs that seem to have been cobbled together by the cheapest coders they could whip together over Fiverr, and never QC'd.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just figured out that the Medic promotion for apostles lets them heal themselves up like a normal unit, not just buff the healing of units nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Alexander just made me so mad I uninstalled him.