Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Just caught up with this thread.

PYDT sounds cool, and I want to give it a shot so I made a new game. Name is Goon Summer, password is Dicknose

I have all DLC and feel like being Australia, but I'll disable anything as needed. Anyone down?

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/c6bbb545-a372-40ce-aad8-9a78075c691c

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Tofu Injection posted:

Just caught up with this thread.

PYDT sounds cool, and I want to give it a shot so I made a new game. Name is Goon Summer, password is Dicknose

I have all DLC and feel like being Australia, but I'll disable anything as needed. Anyone down?

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/c6bbb545-a372-40ce-aad8-9a78075c691c

Pimping this for the new page.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Ulvino posted:

My advice would be to those curious to join the newest PYDT game, pick random and roll with the punches. Discover your surroundings and start being paranoid about your neighbours. Maybe conflict is unavoidable but the level of diplomacy and backstabbing makes for some interesting scenarios (fractal or Pangaea works best, maybe even island plates but people need to contact each other early on).

I would join the newest since I can't get enough but I also have my hands full... Would consider joining to make a full 6 man if the game picks up.

I set it to Fractal cause I figured it would be fairly likely to get people in contact with each other quickly while keeping the map semi unpredictable.

2 spots left if I can tempt you.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

I have stolen the last seat in the latest game.

Hopefully this doesn't make three games in a row where my starting position has no fresh water and is kind of (or extremely) cramped. At least the Summer one is better than Spring was; that was really, really bad.

Awesome, that makes us full. Launching tomorrow as I'm out doing birthday things right now.

E: Launched!

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 14, 2017

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Peas and Rice posted:

Summary of Goon Summer game so far:

Me: "I'm tired of playing Aztecs, I'll go with a random civ and see what I get!"
Game" "AZTECS FOR YOU."

gently caress you, random civ selector.

I really hope I'm not next to you.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Since this is my first foray into PBEM, how long should I expect the new patch to screw up our game for?

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

markus_cz posted:

Do you have players with a Mac? In that case, two to three weeks until he macOS patch comes out.

I guess I'll find out.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
It's pretty funny how the AI will now just give you all it's great works for practically nothing, even if it's shooting for a culture win.

Didn't Civ 5 only allow works to be traded for other works? Might be a better plan.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I haven't gotten to play that much multiplayer, but before the patch dropped and hosed Mac users the experience was fairly good. Took 1 or 2 turns a day and things were just starting to get to a point where a turn could be interesting before we went on hiatus.

I reckon the real question is do you generally have 5 minutes a day to spend on thinking about the game? Do you have the patience to stick with it for a few turns of (download save) click next turn (upload save) until things start happening? Then give it a shot; it's not a big time commitment.

Don't play with pubbies though unless you like massive delays with no communication.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

Also, going to read your account thing here. Might try maintaining something like this for the above game if/when it gets started, if people would be interested.

I would be into reading that once the game ends.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Goon games typically let you take 1 or 2 turns a day. The 17 day wait is because the Nubia patch screwed Mac users and they need to wait for it to come to their platform.

Whether that excuses it for you or not is a personal thing, but it's disingenuous to say that's the typical PBEM experience.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

There's still an open slot in this, if someone wants to play a game where Domination victory is off (but you'll still probably find up fighting anyway because someone's more cultural than you and that can't stand).

Fuuuuuuck. I'm in.

I don't see how this doesn't end with one person wiping everyone out anyway though.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I picked Nubia, then switched to China, then switched to Arabia, then switched to England.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Peas and Rice posted:

Jesus christ how long does it take to get a loving Mac patch out

Yeah, I miss the Goon Summer game. Can't find any info on when the patch might drop either.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 24, 2017

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Yeah I know I have the stupid thing. I also have a MP game that was just getting interesting be stalled for a month now because other people dont have the stupid thing.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Aerdan posted:

Confirmed.

Goon Summer Game is a going concern again. Finally. After 41 days.

gently caress you, Firaxis. :argh:

Holy poo poo! I missed that game.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
PYDT stuff:

Brother magneto, where you at? Goon Summer misses you.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Anyone know why the new civs aren't showing up on my new game list? Steam is showing the dlc installed.

E: Never mind. Turned them off and on again.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2017

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Looks like all my games except for one pubbie one are currently stalled out so I will get in on this.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Anyone want to play rise and fall?

Name: No Korea

Password: fuckingspork

don't pick Korea

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
The 1UPT rules work fantastically in multiplayer and make for very harrowing turns against humans who can work the system. I'd argue it's way more interesting and satisfying then stack mechanics in that regard.

What sucks though is up until now, that's not why I played civ games. It's weird that civ is something I load up these days to play my turn in and then shut down. I miss that feeling of losing hours in a play through without realizing it, and with AI that has no ability to understand the game it's playing, that's just not a thing that can happen with this game.

I know this is a rehash of what pretty much everyone is saying. I just wish there was a solution here.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I'm in several PYDT games, some of which I'm doing well in and many of which I'm not, and I enjoy the experience immensely. In fact, its the only reason I load the game up anymore.

I also think the AI is a broken mess, and it is supremely disappointing, because it makes a long session of Civ VI boring. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a game designed predominantly for single player play to have an AI that can understand the mechanics enough to be competitive.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

turboraton posted:

You can also join the real time multiplayer we want to have, we can have 3 or 4 hour sessions.

I'm interested in this, but can't realistically commit to an ongoing thing. Maybe if it was like once a month or something.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

turboraton posted:

Sounds great to me, any MP game is better than eternal discussion of warmongering and "i'm a story player" talk.

K I added my availability, with the caveat of only being available once a month.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

Nope, that's what happens. Going into "one more turn" means it keeps going, and PYDT doesn't know how to recognize that a game's over and/or doesn't want to assume you're stopping just because someone won, so it'll keep passing things around as long as people keep playing. I think people either all drop from the game at that point, or contact the admin, if they want to stop.

Also, congrats. And yeah, if people don't adequately defend themselves, you can convert things fast. Particularly if you get apostles with Proselytizer and Translator working on it; those can really, really swing things.

Really? I just asked this in game. I'm quitting then, well done Roland. You steamrolled the hell out of us.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I booted Ulvino from No Korea, but I'm more conflicted about doing so in goon summer, as he's in a position of dominance with fewer human players. Should I do so anyway and continue or should we just scrap the game at this stage?

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Mapuche declared war on me and took everything but one poo poo city that is revolting next turn. I just lost the No Korea game to an AI.

It's me, I'm the worst civ player.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Turns out I had to log in to my turn to find out I lost. Strikes me as silly.

GG guys.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Checking in every once in a while to see people freaking out in chat is kind of funny.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

mitochondritom posted:

Its not that bad, it could be iterated on and improved. Ignoring the ai controlled units (which I assume is where the issues are), having having stacked armies that are then positioned in an area and then go at it 1upt until one army wins would be better than how civ does it in my eyes.

This makes the combat take even longer than it already takes, and does nothing to address the main issue with the current 1UPT system which is the AI having no idea how to use it.

In multiplayer the way it currently works is interesting and rewarding and doesn't need to be changed. In singleplayer it blows. Adding a whole new combat layer doesn't make it blow less, it just adds busywork.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Alright I think I've got it. What if you can build a unit that is anti-melee, that would counter a unit that is anti-horse, and the horse unit would counter the anti-melee unit. Then you could build a bunch of these units and combine them into an "army" adding more of whatever unit you need based on what your opponent is doing. Then when you fight your opponent you are given odds for a how well each unit would do on the attack and how much damage they will take is based on those odds. In order to encourage units to stay around longer and heal up, they could get various promotions.

Yeah but they didn't do that on a hex map, so...

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I just surrendered from Midsummer Goon Game by virtue of being the only other person alive and logging into my turn to see I was on the receiving end of 2 nukes. Congrats Karma.

Holy poo poo that game took over a year and a half.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The problem with spies is there isn't a "front" for them. If an army comes rolling across your border, you go and face it. But if a spy blows up a fishery on some island, it's just annoying to replace. Overall it doesn't actually hurt you that much, but it is a pain to fix.

It would be a similar level of frustration is instead of an army having to travel, they just appeared in the middle of your empire and started pillaging stuff. Yea you can fight them off, but its way more engaging to head them off at the pass, as it were.

This is a fun comparison to make since, as people have mentioned, one of the spy actions is to make an army just appear and start pillaging stuff. It's a bad mechanic.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Made a new PYDT game cause i want to see how Gathering Storm works in multiplayer.

Game Name: Goon Storm Password bitchnipples

Do not pick Korea.

Taear posted:

Like I said earlier it's really poo poo at telling you if something that's happening is happening to you or 50 squares away in someone else's territory.
I don't care if Mount Big Boom is exploding there, but if it's next to my capital please zoom to it and go "OH poo poo" thanks.

The game really doesn't support this, I wouldn't recommend it. My preferred way to play would be like 4-5 cities but you start to fall behind.

Playing tall is a civ 5 thing. It really doesn't work in any other civ game, 6 included. Expand is one of the 4 Xes, I'd argue the most important one.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 1, 2019

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Clarste posted:

I wasn't asking if you liked Civ 5, I was asking if the existence of Venice was the dealbreaker, whose inclusion immediately ruined the rest of the game. Sounds like it wasn't.

The existence of Venice wasn't the dealbreaker. Venice was an interesting gimmick.

The dealbreaker was taking a penalty to science for every new city built, making adding cities to your empire actively harmful.

You are supposed to "build an empire to stand the test of time." 4 cities sitting in the middle of vast unclaimed swaths of land is pathetic, and Civ 6 was smart to reward expansion again.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Because ideally the best thing to have is a tall AND wide empire. The game should reward having more population always, be it through growth or building new cities. Attempting an either/or balance will, by necessity penalize the player, which is exactly what Civ 5 did.

Focusing on making a gimmick strat viable across the board fucks with core game mechanics in a detrimental way.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2019

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Well Gathering Storm increased the amount of empty space between empires. It's not weird to be able to get 7 cities in good spots before hitting the soft loyalty borders.

I remain kind of baffled by the argument that Tall and Wide should be balanced. Someone up thread mentioned that Tall is easier to achieve in every way so why would anyone ever go wide? If having 4 cities is just as viable as having 15, why spend the resources expanding? Why piss off the other civ's by going to war? There is no way to balance this; If 4 cities are as good as 15, well, you get 4 cities way sooner. Going up to 15 wastes your time and opportunity.

This is why Civ 5 after BNW has no endgame; there is no reason to go to war or establish new colonies because there is no reason to get new cities. In fact, the science hit means you would be punished for doing so. You are punished for interacting with major game mechanics, like expansion and combat. This is actually the opposite of "adding variety"

I think Civ 6 is attempting to do what Sullla was saying: bigger is better but it's hard to get big. Amenities are meant to put a limit on how quickly you can build new cities. The housing cap similarity limits how fast existing cities can grow. But of course you always WANT to do both. You have some decisions about which to focus on first, based on your start, but more cities is always better and more population is always better. Intuitively this should make sense.

Unfortunately, I do think that Civ 6 has the balance wrong here; Amenities are far to easily dealt with and the Housing cap feels restrictively harsh. But I also see a lot more promise in balancing a system like this, than arbitrarily punishing expansion.

I also see the appeal of chilling out and playing a easy peaceful building game with only a handful of cities to manage. If that's your jam, that's totally cool, and as other people have mentioned it's absolutely possible on lower difficulties.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Beamed posted:

It's this idea they should always give you the same benefits that is the core of people defending ICS-esque strats, I think.

Absolutely nobody in this thread is defending ICS strats.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
District production costs scale by era (I believe). However, if you place a district, then move on to producing something else, the cost for that district will be locked in for the time you originally placed it. The downside is that once you decide to build a district somewhere, you can never use that tile for anything else. Its a regularly used micromanagement strat for higher difficulties.

E: I don't know why that of all things would be a dealbreaker or something to decry Civ 6 for being a bad game for. For my money, Civ 6 is a bad game because of the AI, but is a great game against human opponents. The district thing is kind of a fiddly exploit but by no means a big deal.

E2: VVV It is, granted, an undeniably dumb mechanic and the fact that I didn't know half the rules is tantamount to how little the game tells you about how it works.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Baronjutter posted:

I can't imagine how anyone at firaxis played the religion game and thought it was ok. I wish I could just turn off the entire mechanic it's so bad. It's like being at war, non-stop, for the entire game. The moment you take your focus off the system, the moment you think about not putting 100% of your resources and attention into the never-ending religion hell-war is the moment half the cities on that continent you've been grinding for the last 200 turns suddenly flip.

I have noticed that, at the very least, in single player, if you found a religion and make it dominant in your civ, other civs will just leave your religion alone. They'll wander apostles through your territory and not do poo poo because I'm guessing there is some "dont gently caress with the player's religion" flag.

If you take the belief that doubles relic tourism and build the wonder that makes your apostles start with martyr, you can shave like 50 turns off a culture victory this way. gently caress going for a religious victory though; it's a busted mechanic.