Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://vivaldi.com/

This is, without a doubt, the best looking Linux application I've ever used. I don't know how usable it is yet but I will be live posting my experience ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would post a screenshot of me posting in this thread from vivaldi, but I disabled the prntscreen button on my lenovo because the braindead idiots over there decided to put the prnt screen button next to ctrl in prime keyboard real estate. Seriously, if you're on the bottom row one key away from the space board, that's like the Riveria of the keyboard, you dont put loving print screen there jesus christ I was hitting it like 20 times a day. I disabled it when my screenshots folder hit over 10GB of just random screenshots.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
some notes so far:

bing is the default search provider

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hmm... never heard of it. let's see what this poo poo really is.

oh, just a skin for chrome. i'll keep using chrome op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
holy poo poo, split pane browsing

that's pretty big for me imo

on the other hand, it's really confusing. there's only one search bar. which one am i going to search? let's find out

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

hmm... never heard of it. let's see what this poo poo really is.

oh, just a skin for chrome. i'll keep using chrome op

yeah i opened up the web inspector because as a programmer, the web inspector is important to me, i was greeted with the familiar chrome inspector and was like 'whaaaat'

otoh it means I can use the potentially cool features of this web browser knowing that they didn't gently caress up security in every way. probably

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
okay, it looks like the right pane is the primary pane, going forward and back and hitting refresh only affects the right pane.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
okay so far i unironically see this thing making my web browser experience much more productive

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol it's written in javascript

OTOH it's react, so maybe that's good? I don't know.

also if it's chrome does that mean it's still a memory hog?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
pity reply to a one-man thread

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is this only for a linux?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BONGHITZ posted:

is this only for a linux?

i tried an early build on windows, so prob not

i didnt see any way that it was better than opera :shobon:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol it's written in javascript

OTOH it's react, so maybe that's good? I don't know.

also if it's chrome does that mean it's still a memory hog?

It will be even more of a memory hog, and React probably makes it worse because it adds another trillion layers. Javascript is Dog poo poo Garbage and should have never been used for other things than form validation.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I too used vivaldi for a while but I was to ashamed to make a yospos thread about it. its p. good but has the same issues as chome being a massive memory hog, especially with lots of tabs open so I went back to using the worlds most advance web browser: safari.

Would defiantly use if i was on linux tho.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tazjin posted:

It will be even more of a memory hog, and React probably makes it worse because it adds another trillion layers. Javascript is Dog poo poo Garbage and should have never been used for other things than form validation.

javascript is fast enough for quake 3
http://www.quakejs.com/play?set%20fs_game%20cpma&set%20mode_start%20FFA&set%20g_teamAutoJoin%201&map%20cpm1a

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

WebGL, not Javascript, is fast enough for Quake 3, a game from 1999. Very impressive :colbert:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tazjin posted:

WebGL, not Javascript, is fast enough for Quake 3, a game from 1999. Very impressive :colbert:

ya javascript has all the support libraries to make good poo poo now. and the runtimes are fast enough for 60fps twitch shooters. including all the networking stuff required.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'm waiting for Otter so i can have a decent browser that's not written in node.js

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm waiting for Otter so i can have a decent browser that's not written in node.js

I'm waiting for Martini, a browser made while glancing at an unopened node.js box

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

tazjin posted:

yes and no

if javascript stymie is right about it being 60fps twitch gameplay then that's still pretty cool. every shooter game since quake 3 has been a step backwards - lovely cover shooters using all that extra processing power just to cover everything with bloom and myopia effects that we're better off without.

but you're right, using that extra processing power to instead add a bunch of layers of abstraction for no reason is pretty stupid and wasteful. why did i bother replacing my pentium at all

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 14, 2016

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

jony ive aces posted:

yes and no

if javascript stymie is right about it being 60fps twitch gameplay then that's still pretty cool. every shooter game since quake 3 has been a step backwards - lovely cover shooters using all that extra processing power just to cover everything with bloom and myopia effects that we're better off without.

but you're right, using that extra processing power to instead add a bunch of layers of abstraction for no reason is pretty stupid and wasteful. why did i bother replacing my pentium at all

Web "developers" are literally the reason for Page's law

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

ya javascript has all the support libraries to make good poo poo now. and the runtimes are fast enough for 60fps twitch shooters. including all the networking stuff required.

lol if you dont play at 144hz

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

where do the friends come into this browser

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
native tab stacking and split windows would be nice, i'll give it a look op

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i tired vivaldi a few months ago to see if it could bring back any of that old opera magic from 10 years ago, but found it to be too hosed up and lovely (basically, still too much like chrome)

just tried it again and it's better but still not great. middle-click opens a new tab in background instead of foreground and i cant find a way to change that. also they really need to let you selectively disable certain mouse gestures. when you new-tab gesture over a link, it opens the link in a new tab, which is a PITA because lots of websites these days tend to make massive areas of the page act as links. i just want a new blank tab dont open the link

that's my story, thanks for reminding me about vivaldi, op. gonna keep using firefox for now (even though i need to rebuild my profile again because firefox keeps falling the gently caress apart on its own for no apparent reason)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
middle click new tab background is good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Triglav posted:

middle click new tab background is good

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
hello friend i have been using vivaldi for a bit as well now
its not as good as opera 12 but you cant expect miracles

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Otter Browser aims to recreate the best aspects of the classic Opera (12.x) UI using Qt5.

their official forum is at "The DnD Sanctuary" and they have an IRC channel and a Polish IRC channel, so they're really going for a faithful duplication here

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I used vivaldi for a while too right after 1.0 and it's p. dece.

Still had a few weird chrome-isms though, like the lack of a "properties" entry in the context menu and no ability to delete selective history items upon shutdown/startup

They did add a tickbox for disabling third-party cookies after a few people bitched in their forums though so maybe there's hope

still a lot better than vanilla chrom and closer to being opera 12 than anything other than opera 12

burning swine
May 26, 2004

killer feature strangely absent from most browsers: rebinding keyboard keys

if i can't make F1 open a new blank tab, I can't use your shite browser

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yer browser is shite m8

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Valeyard posted:

yer browser is shite m8

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
spiking a pint glass on the bar floor and batting your lap top off the table and into the nearby barrel-come-trashcan "yer browser is shite m8!"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i tried out vivaldi and now i can't stop using it

not even once

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
for real though it's actually pretty fuckin decent and the only issue i have with it is that double clicking the title bar on OS X opens a new tab instead of maximizing the window

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Still had a few weird chrome-isms though, like the lack of a "properties" entry in the context menu

erugh yeah what the gently caress is up with that. no image properties or anything. maybe that is just some sperg feature these days, idk

it's also weird how it has a very prominent sidebar/panel system, but there's no panel for history. gotta use the history page which is big and clunky and awkward.

all this bitching aside i still hope it ends up being a viable choice at some point cuz all browsers really really suck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

we don't need another baroque-rear end browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
opera was lovely, chrome opera was lovely and new chrome opera is lovely

• Locked thread