Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Fonzarelli posted:

millenials are pretty rough for sure but goddamn

Gen X is the biggest lovely lol gen ever, i mean you people just became a bunch of lame parents and gave up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like we had an opportunity to create solutions, but instead fell in love with problems.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like we had an opportunity to create solutions, but instead fell in love with problems.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah but like millions of years ago when humans were still forming language. Millennials are not to blame!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

noctambulous nebab posted:

Yeah but like millions of years ago when humans were still forming language. Millennials are not to blame!

Agreed, poo poo was hosed up like 300 years ago, today is pretty nice

we got nice stuff and no polio

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
All the memes have been going to reddit, to 4chan. Millennials have the best memes. They have the greatest sense of humor, I love millennials. What we're going to do is make the internet great again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On the bright side at least the current generation of women picked up bad ideas from Redtube.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

etalian posted:

On the bright side at least the current generation of women picked up bad ideas from Redtube.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Admittedly I am from a working class background but about half of my millennial peers are mentally deranged drug addicts who barely have ambitions to leave their mom's house, let alone work for Google.
The other half does what they're supposed to do and live normal lives and share it on social media.

I'm an X-er, and I say the exact_same_thing about my peers, except they do less social media. Even the old guys at work pretty much describe their cohorts that way, except the losers still living at home are now "taking care of their aged parents"(robbing them blind while providing the minimum of care).

I think the 50% thing has been standard since all the simple manufacturing jobs went overseas.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

The whole line appears to read "Pegd a human being"

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It's not a choice. They are products of the internet and instant gratification, they are the realization of those things. The last men. Ultimate nihilism. An ideal perfected, that has reached its forgone conclusion.

Not the singularity but the living ghosts of the singularity.

Now we wait for conflagration.

yes hello id like to subscribe to yoru newsletter. also is it u in ur av & what is "balck girl craft" tia

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

My Q-Face posted:

It also says "cum" :grin:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

good eye. you are a credit to your generation

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fonzarelli posted:

Gen X is the biggest lovely lol gen ever, i mean you people just became a bunch of lame parents and gave up

hey now

some of us millenials are lame parents too

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Harrower posted:

Millennials are the worst because they haven't had to do anything hard in their entire lives and human beings are worthless without adversity.

The selfie generation. What a useless bunch of tools.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As a millenial, I would suck rear end but the rear end sucking market has kind of dried up lately. Does anybody know of any jobs out there that would let me suck at least five figures of rear end a year?

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

King Vidiot posted:

As a millenial, I would suck rear end but the rear end sucking market has kind of dried up lately. Does anybody know of any jobs out there that would let me suck at least five figures of rear end a year?

The guy that bought me beer when I was 20 made his money by going gay4pay on backpage. He was homeless but he always had weed and booze, so I guess it pays.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's an epic sweatshirt.

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015
That was a pretty good snippet from your manifesto

Try not to shoot anything up.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
op your username owns

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is this how millenials spend their time nowadays???

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Fonzarelli posted:

So is "My parents made me this way" an instant win for getting on disability or something? I hear it a lot nowadays.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

It's not a choice. They are products of the internet and instant gratification, they are the realization of those things. The last men. Ultimate nihilism. An ideal perfected, that has reached its forgone conclusion.

Not the singularity but the living ghosts of the singularity.

Now we wait for conflagration.

which user are you a re-reg for?

because if you're TacticalUrbanHomo, fack you mang. but if you are the taint reaper, welcome back bro

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

That Robot posted:

which user are you a re-reg for?

because if you're TacticalUrbanHomo, fack you mang. but if you are the taint reaper, welcome back bro

I'm nobody sorry, and I don't see how it would change the content of my posts.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Whatever DID happen to the taint reaper? I did not witness his downfall.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
For what it's worth I remember liking TacticalUrbanHomo. As I recall he was an intelligent person dealing with severe alcoholism and I wish him the best.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

thathonkey posted:

ganja smoking factory. boom done. problem solved next. let's keep it moving here people *fingers snapping* it's the day of my daughters wedding and i cannot refuse any requests

resurrect abraham lincoln

that's my request :wink:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

That's an epic sweatshirt.

if your av is supposed to be eva unit 01, then you have an epic av

I'm nobody sorry, and I don't see how it would change the content of my posts.

it's because im interested. two-day old account with an avatar and redtext sounds like a re-reg

as long as you aren't dare or jessica dupre, welcome back mang

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My annual review was conducted last week. I've worked at the company for just under a year, and because it was a career switch, I took a position beneath my experience level. My expectation was that I'd move quickly through the ranks after proving my competence and constantly striving to create value.

Over the course of the year, I moved up from an analyst role to a position managing several people on an IT project. I've received nothing but praise from managers and peers, and so I fully expected to receive high marks, a sizable raise, and possibly a promotion commensurate to my current role. Instead, I received an average rating for my level, no discussion of promotion, and a whopping 3 percent raise. I was incredulous. I can't remember feeling so devalued and humiliated. I tried to argue my case during the review, but it seems the decision had been made. I've been lumped into the mediocre (or below) pile, and there's nothing I can do until next year's review to change it. What would you do if you were in my position?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Volume posted:

My annual review was conducted last week. I've worked at the company for just under a year, and because it was a career switch, I took a position beneath my experience level. My expectation was that I'd move quickly through the ranks after proving my competence and constantly striving to create value.

Over the course of the year, I moved up from an analyst role to a position managing several people on an IT project. I've received nothing but praise from managers and peers, and so I fully expected to receive high marks, a sizable raise, and possibly a promotion commensurate to my current role. Instead, I received an average rating for my level, no discussion of promotion, and a whopping 3 percent raise. I was incredulous. I can't remember feeling so devalued and humiliated. I tried to argue my case during the review, but it seems the decision had been made. I've been lumped into the mediocre (or below) pile, and there's nothing I can do until next year's review to change it. What would you do if you were in my position?

What's your gun/ammo situation ?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Volume posted:

Very much like my job. A '4' is phenomenal, basically single handedly saving the company millions or some poo poo. No one gets that. Most people just get a 3 if they do well, and that's very rare (or you are on good terms with the manager in addition to being able to do your job). 2 is what you are most likely to get if you bust rear end and work hard, but are still a stranger to your supervisors. And the kind of job I do, it's not easy to stand out or be seen as amazing unless you are some super talented genius that clearly doesn't belong at your current paygrade. Annual reviews feel more like a "Why should we not fire you" deal instead of checking to see where you are going.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I share office space with one other person who is about half my age. The age reference is relevant because it relates to my question.

About half her work day is spent online rather than working. Whether she is clothes shopping, looking at mansions on Zillow, looking at pictures of dogs or CHILDREN available for adoption, corresponding on Facebook, browsing Reddit, or reading her news feed, she will toggle between working and surfing throughout the day.

She prefers to keep our office door closed, although we have no outside windows and little air circulation, because it allows her to hear when someone enters so that she can quickly click off the internet screen. I have seen her do this numerous times, and so has our boss. Equally as annoying are her frequent comments to me about what she is reading, often accompanied by an email providing me with the link to that which she is referring.

My workload does not permit me the luxury of casual internet browsing, nor am I interested in it. When she talks to me or forwards her items of interest, it’s not just distracting, it causes me to feel resentment toward her for her lack of consideration of the time and effort that I put into my job. On an ethical level, I feel that collecting a paycheck for browsing the internet is, in essence, stealing from the nonprofit organization for which we work.

Here is where the age-related part of my question comes in–is this behavior now more generally accepted in the workplace because 20-somethings have grown up in a digital age? Am I just “old-school”? And if not, what can I do about it? When I brought it to my boss’s attention, he said he had noticed it too, but failed to follow up with her. If I bring it up to him again, am I “tattling”?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does my boss have the right to use monitoring software on my computer? I know he mostly does because the computer is his property, but what about when I use it to check my personal emails — does he have the right to record all my personal stuff just because I am using my work computer?

I have been unproductive and wasting a lot of time lately, but I am meeting deadlines and he hasn’t said anything about it. Can I get fired for being unproductive if he has the proof of the monitoring software?  Or does he first have to give me a performance evaluation and warn me to improve?

I read through the licensing agreement for the monitoring software and it did state that the employer must inform the employee prior to installing the software. This did not happen, so can he still use this as proof, or is he now in the wrong for not informing me?

We don’t have any policies in place regarding personal time on office computers,  And we don’t have any formal employment agreements signed. I would be willing to sign one but I have been working there over 5 years, so does that mean he can use past behavior against me or would we basically be starting fresh from the date of the employment agreement?  Finding this out has scared me straight, so I’m wondering if I can still be let go even if I change my habits and become more productive.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Volume posted:

I share office space with one other person who is about half my age. The age reference is relevant because it relates to my question.

About half her work day is spent online rather than working. Whether she is clothes shopping, looking at mansions on Zillow, looking at pictures of dogs or CHILDREN available for adoption, corresponding on Facebook, browsing Reddit, or reading her news feed, she will toggle between working and surfing throughout the day.

She prefers to keep our office door closed, although we have no outside windows and little air circulation, because it allows her to hear when someone enters so that she can quickly click off the internet screen. I have seen her do this numerous times, and so has our boss. Equally as annoying are her frequent comments to me about what she is reading, often accompanied by an email providing me with the link to that which she is referring.

My workload does not permit me the luxury of casual internet browsing, nor am I interested in it. When she talks to me or forwards her items of interest, it’s not just distracting, it causes me to feel resentment toward her for her lack of consideration of the time and effort that I put into my job. On an ethical level, I feel that collecting a paycheck for browsing the internet is, in essence, stealing from the nonprofit organization for which we work.

Here is where the age-related part of my question comes in–is this behavior now more generally accepted in the workplace because 20-somethings have grown up in a digital age? Am I just “old-school”? And if not, what can I do about it? When I brought it to my boss’s attention, he said he had noticed it too, but failed to follow up with her. If I bring it up to him again, am I “tattling”?

Snitching. The term you're looking for is snitching.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Volume posted:

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Volume posted:

Play office politics better

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ants on my cum rag posted:

"Millenials are the worst generation ever"

To anyone who agrees with that statement, gently caress you. Why have we suddenly become the worst people in the world? Because we weren't drafted in some loving war? We went to your Iraq and Afghanistan wars too but instead all we got was a pat on the back and a crippled vet bill. We aren't brave? We don't do anything? At what point do you think fighting for gay, transsexual and equal rights is doing nothing? We aren't obsessed with ourselves. We're not staring at our phones, we're communicating with others. You think posting selfies is narcissistic? Try fellating yourself non stop 24/7 over how you or the generation before you was the "greatest generation ever". Jesus Christ is that ever the most pathetic thing. We aren't "antisocial". You're the people talking about renting some loving log cabin out in the middle of nowhere. How antisocial can you get? Generation X can kiss my rear end too. YOU did nothing. You found out how to steal music, at the most. You have literally accomplished nothing and are a generation of middlemen. Boomers can also go gently caress themselves but a little harder. You crashed the housing market and hosed the economy up and have the nerve to tell us that things were different back in your day but should also be the same when we're somehow finding difficulty with the job market.

tldr but your generation is responsible for the massive popularity of 1. social media and 2.the kardashians so in short if you had any self respect you'd put a bullet in your collective heads

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

lol I wouldn't have done what you did in that first paragraph bc that marks you a bitch man

always change jobs up not down

if I were you I'd look for another job bc you're dead ended where you are now

Wicker Man posted:

Very much like my job. A '4' is phenomenal, basically single handedly saving the company millions or some poo poo. No one gets that. Most people just get a 3 if they do well, and that's very rare (or you are on good terms with the manager in addition to being able to do your job). 2 is what you are most likely to get if you bust rear end and work hard, but are still a stranger to your supervisors. And the kind of job I do, it's not easy to stand out or be seen as amazing unless you are some super talented genius that clearly doesn't belong at your current paygrade. Annual reviews feel more like a "Why should we not fire you" deal instead of checking to see where you are going.

it's time to realize your value in the marketplace fellas idk what this weirdo company loyalty mentality is of getting the dick year in year out and continuing to work there

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 14, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Seriously, I jobhopped nonstop across completely unrelated career fields until I was making several times my previous income due to like, 5% persistence and 95% luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Volume posted:

You're conflating "being a lazy dickhead" with "being a millennial". While younger people may piss time away with social media more than older folk, there are just as many useless, grey-haired fuckwads burning company time with personal phone calls, smoke breaks, eBay watching, talking incessantly, etc. The stereotype of "millenials do nothing but gently caress around on their phones" is driven by old farts who notice behavior different from their own and ignore their own failings. Just do your job, worry about your own poo poo and if necessary, gently tell Lazycunt to leave you alone; it's not necessary to malign an entire generation.

Source: I am older than dirt and hate everybody pretty much equally.

• Locked thread