Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just left the Wrestling Revolver show in Dayton. Really fun overall. Naito-Elgin was good but Elgin got the most genuine gently caress you hear I’ve ever heard live and it was constant the entire match.

Did he take the bait or did he pretend to not care? I get the impressions from the social media thread that his skin is mighty thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

read reports on twitter of people yelling at him to retire, and die

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

read reports on twitter of people yelling at him to retire, and die

Holy poo poo. Maybe he should devote more time to Japan. Like, all of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did he take the bait or did he pretend to not care? I get the impressions from the social media thread that his skin is mighty thin.

He didn’t take the bait per se but you could tell he was really pissed.

It was mostly a lot of booing, gently caress you, go away and you’re a piece of poo poo.

The “you should loving die” stuff was primarily from one dude who was behind me who relentlessly poo poo on him the entire match.

Also, he was the only name dude who wasn’t selling merch or meeting with anyone and the rumor in line prior to the show was that he wasn’t even going to be there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

He didn’t take the bait per se but you could tell he was really pissed.

It was mostly a lot of booing, gently caress you, go away and you’re a piece of poo poo.

The “you should loving die” stuff was primarily from one dude who was behind me who relentlessly poo poo on him the entire match.

Also, he was the only name dude who wasn’t selling merch or meeting with anyone and the rumor in line prior to the show was that he wasn’t even going to be there.

Probably a good call to not engage. He probably only did the booking so as to not gently caress things up with NJPW in general (and Naito personally), who don't seem to care about his issues here.

It's interesting, I know his ultimate goal for a while was to be a regular Japan talent. We even mocked him when the scuttlebutt during one of the first joint ROH/NJPW shows was that Gedo and co. were unimpressed with him. Then he got to his goal, and I wondered if he'd gently caress it up somehow, but I never pictured this or anything like it, I figured if it didn't work it'd be a culture clash or he'd piss off a top guy by saying or doing the wrong thing.

I wonder if Naito had some questions about WTF just happened out there afterwards. There's no way that's what he was expecting, unless Mike warned him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Probably a good call to not engage. He probably only did the booking so as to not gently caress things up with NJPW in general (and Naito personally), who don't seem to care about his issues here.

It's interesting, I know his ultimate goal for a while was to be a regular Japan talent. We even mocked him when the scuttlebutt during one of the first joint ROH/NJPW shows was that Gedo and co. were unimpressed with him. Then he got to his goal, and I wondered if he'd gently caress it up somehow, but I never pictured this or anything like it, I figured if it didn't work it'd be a culture clash or he'd piss off a top guy by saying or doing the wrong thing.

I wonder if Naito had some questions about WTF just happened out there afterwards. There's no way that's what he was expecting, unless Mike warned him.

Naito really didn’t look surprised and it didn’t affect the match at all but it’s impossible to tell for sure how he felt by it.

There was no support for Elgin at all though. Either hatred or nonchalance.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Naito really didn’t look surprised and it didn’t affect the match at all but it’s impossible to tell for sure how he felt by it.

There was no support for Elgin at all though. Either hatred or nonchalance.

Would you say he was......

Tranquilo?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I get to see Naito tonight! :woop:

In other news I read the description of the Best Friends duel at PWG... :ohdear:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
NOVA Pro's "Cupid's Chokehold" last night was a solid show. It feels like they've been hitting their niche which is a fine workrate with good character work and comedy. That's what you want when you see a local wrestling show. I don't need indie geeks trying to do a super indie five star match all night.

Graham Bell did do a top rope tope con giro to cap off a series of dives in the opening six-man scramble, so he jumped up on my radar. He's been here a few times and he has an air bazooka but he didn't have it last night, people in the crowd asked him about it and he said someone stole it. John Kermon was supposed to be one of the competitors in the scramble but Cain Justice ran out and destroyed him before he could get in the ring. Cain didn't wrestle so I guess he drove all the way up here just to do a one minute beat down.

Alexander James vs Jaxon Stone was very good. I wouldn't mind James leaving the 1% stable and feuding with Logan Easton Laroux.

Jordynne Grace vs Isla Dawn vs Laynie Luck was very good. Isla was making her debut in the promotion and got over well. She did a dragon sleeper in the camel clutch position where she hooked her arms behind her own back.
https://twitter.com/AwesomestBen/status/964673734509461505

LuFisto vs Faye Jackson was LuFisto managing to get a decent match out of Faye, against the odds. LuFisto got over as a heel by saying gently caress in front of a kid. And it was just great to see LuFisto wrestling because she announced on Thursday that she's battling cervical cancer.

Ugly Ducklings vs The Hooligans brought the house down. The Ducklings coach guy was here for the first time I think. One of the Hooligans did a flip and the crowd lost their poo poo. Match was good.

Post-intermission a yelling things guy had moved seats to be right behind me and it made the second half of the show a little worse.

Logan Easton Laroux vs Wheeler YUTA was good, YUTA got way over going against the top heel and the crowd thought he was going to win. Logan cheated to win.

"Safety First" Tim Donst vs War Horse Jake Parnell was good with a hot crowd. Parnell actually got heat by saying "safety last." Tim Donst has gotten the Safety First character over to the point that he could do nothing but the bits and do a roll-up and everyone would go home happy. He wouldn't have to take a single bump. But he's Tim Donst so after the 5-10 minutes of the character he still does a good wrestling match.

The Carnies (Nick Iggy and Kerry Awful) vs Pow Meow (Allie Kat and Christi Jaynes) was the match of the night. It was awesome because the Carnies are perfect at character work and everyone involved knew to make it just a little about intergender but mostly just wrestling. The actual story was that the Carnies didn't want to fight a cat. Christi has challenges as a worker but they accounted for it in the construction of the match.

Main event was Arik Royal vs Gunner Miller. Match was fine but it went 18 minutes after the show had already been going for over 3 hours on a Friday night. I was kinda done by that point, and it was hard to get up again after I was so high on the previous match. Also the yelling guy behind me spent the entire match yelling "LET'S GO TENNESSEE" and "LET'S GO ALABAMA" for some reason. Gunner won with a Jackhammer, so I guess after Royal went 2 years it NOVA without losing until he lost to Logan in last year's Commonwealth Cup final, he can lose now sometimes if they need to put someone over.

Overall it was a show that was consistent top to bottom with good matches. Worth a look on SMV or Powerbomb or whatever later if you just want to check out what a good indie that's not "super indie" can look like in 2018.

Next show set is on 3/10 where they have an afternoon try-out show followed by the night show that is all women.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Thanks for the writeup on that, I was hoping to get to that show but nobody I'm visiting right now wanted to go. Sounds like it was good though, I'll try to find it on wherever they upload to.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
bought the Evolve iPPV and it of course isn't showing up on the busted-rear end website so im watching on taima

i hate you so much gabe

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

abraham linksys posted:

bought the Evolve iPPV and it of course isn't showing up on the busted-rear end website so im watching on taima

i hate you so much gabe

you gotta fumble through mywwn menus and poo poo. I bought it and watched it. Never again tho.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I decided to watch that free MLW show, and they did a package showing the title tourney participants. Then they threw to the announcers. Some guy.....

And Tony Schiavone?! How long has this been a thing?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
AAW did a mystery undercard tonight. ELGIN showed up jobbed to his student Myron Reed in 4 minutes and....

https://twitter.com/johngregoryx/status/965055897444737024

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yeah, and it was one hell of a buzzkill.

I hope that it was related to helping Naito with the bookings.

(naitoooooooooo)

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

They absolutely cut that match short due to the reaction. Elgin seemed content to try to use the boos as heel heat, but the crowd just went silent after the initial uproar and the wrestlers quickly wrapped things up after going a couple minutes to the sound of crickets.

It was a real low point on a show that also featured Scarlett Bordeaux taking an insane black hole slam.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Elgin's done in North America right? He'd have to be outright delusional to think anyone would want him again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jack Anderson posted:

Elgin's done in North America right? He'd have to be outright delusional to think anyone would want him again.

Delusional is kind of his thing.

Just depends on who is willing to book him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aaw now says it was their choice to use him and basically it sounds like they thought he had good heat at revolver not bad heat. also from other peoples tweets it sounds like the promoter probably got worked by whatever tumblr evidence is in mike’s lawsuit. now they’re back to saying they won’t use him after 12 hours of backlash

https://twitter.com/aawdannydaniels/status/965293200930983936

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Danny Daniels always seems like a moron on Twitter

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is an important part of the story:
http://twitter.com/wrestlingbubble/status/965312870442553344

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

So I decided to watch that free MLW show, and they did a package showing the title tourney participants. Then they threw to the announcers. Some guy.....

And Tony Schiavone?! How long has this been a thing?

I think he's announced every show since their revival.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

I think he's announced every show since their revival.

He did a fine job, I thought. It reminded me of the Tony that used to give a gently caress.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Apparently some AAW fans went to Danny and complained during the show and he pretty much laughed at them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

I'm dreading New Japan being dumb enough to put him on the Long Beach show. Although hearing JR and Barnett try and explain why the crowd is screaming profanity at him might be perversely entertaining.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"""the new glory pro owner""" took elgin off today's card and replaced him with djz

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

"""the new glory pro owner""" took elgin off today's card and replaced him with djz

Elgin is 100% still the owner.

The plan going forward with Elgin is no more US dates until the court case is over. I wish I state that with complete certainty but it is Elgin.

rovert fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 19, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Naito Dayton Show is up on Highspots now

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This is outstanding

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/965756179338137601

rovert fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 20, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't know if Joey has help thinking up the cards or what but he books a fun looking show, and the first Spring Break was fun

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/965748554110197762

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Janela owns so much

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Janela owns so much

Yeah I think he's my current favorite wrestler.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ellsworth is really gonna use up his "former WWE superstar" cache trying to be the Dime Store Joey Ryan, huh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I misread that as Jeri Ryan and was briefly confused

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was briefly confused as to how you can be a dime store Version of someone who is already a dime store version of himself

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I misread that as Jeri Ryan and was briefly confused
Obama was president because of her.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Benne posted:

Ellsworth is really gonna use up his "former WWE superstar" cache trying to be the Dime Store Joey Ryan, huh

Good for him? He's a bad wrestler but seems like a sweet lil dude and he's smart to coast on the small bout of fame he had. Hopefully it doesn't give him a big ego, and if we're lucky maybe we'll get to see Joey dickplex him one day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wrestlecon or whatever could have some fun with Ellsworth defending against Joey and Joey's wife (who also wrestles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Phenix Rising posted:

Good for him? He's a bad wrestler but seems like a sweet lil dude and he's smart to coast on the small bout of fame he had. Hopefully it doesn't give him a big ego, and if we're lucky maybe we'll get to see Joey dickplex him one day.

Based on what Daniel Bryan says, we could probably see Ellsworth and Joey have a lightsaber battle.