Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I was looking forward to the Elgin/Sabre title match, but getting to see Kamaitachi live in a singles match is pretty rad too. Kinda suspected they'd shuffle the card around a bit to pair him with another flier, but Elgin's a good base so I'm sure that match will be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Writer Cath posted:

Who's he wrestling?

The grammatical rules of English

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It'll probably just be TJ Perkins like it usually is on super short notice

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I had no idea that Del Rio was even there, I didn't notice him approaching Galloway. Crowd popped big for Sami planting one on Castle though. Dude on dude action plays in California.

Results:

Adam Cole def. Dalton Castle
Michael Elgin def. Kamaitachi
Marty Scurll def. Mark Andrews
Trevor Lee def. Andrew Everett
Chris Hero def. Jeff Cobb
Drew Galloway def. Michael Elgin
Roderick Strong def. Sami Callihan

Galloway appears to be turning as he was acting pretty heelish on the mic and during the match, although that might just have been a one-off during that match to protect Elgin while he was filling in I'm not sure. He motioned after the match that he wants the belt and he would probably make a good foil to Zack so I wouldn't be surprised either way. Cobb/Hero was MOTN in my opinion, Hero did what Hero does and made Cobb look amazing. Crowd received both him and Kamaitachi pretty well, definitely better than the last couple debuts they've had (Castle excepted because come on, who expected that gimmick to not get over in Reseda). Callihan had a visual pin on Roddy but then Cole ran in and pulled Knox out of the ring, then Castle did the same for Sami later on, both of them got taken out by dives shortly after interfering. After the match Cole hit the ring to congratulate Roddy and then started beating down Callihan, then Castle made the save and they cleared the ring and he offered Sami the handshake but Sami kissed him instead.

Decent show but not the strongest they've put on tbh. I know they were running shorthanded because of guys being in Japan and Zack got hurt, but several matches were a little sloppy and/or never quite hit that extra gear that great PWG matches reach. Excalibur confirmed at the end of the show that Thirteen is next on the calendar, so no June show this year. Curious to see who will be available then and what that card will look like.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

I agree with you, but like with every pwg show it was still a blast. I just wanna say. Hero made Cobb look like a million bucks. Also Hero might be the nicest dude in wrestling. He is always just willing to chat and hang out with fans.

I think now that Ricochet and O'Reilly have slowed down a bit from the ridiculous tear they were on 1-2 years ago, Chris Hero is probably my favorite wrestler in the world right now. He's just so loving good night in and night out and can get anybody over.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Skarsnik posted:

Rampage v Tommy too

And if Tommy goes over, him vs. the winner of Callihan/Cross

I wish PWG still booked the Beaver Boys, Reynolds is OK but John Silver is super fun and I miss him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That sure is a tournament lineup, alright. Can Ray Rowe not use his full name outside ROH for some reason?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MagicCube posted:

Cody got his first indy booking and can check one off his list:

Also featuring:

Last weekend in August has been BOLA for the last two years, but Elgin mentioned he had dates for that weekend open recently as well so I'm wondering if it got moved. Maybe it's actually on Labor Day weekend again like in 2014.

Of course, we don't know for sure if PWG is even interested in booking Cody but all of the guys he listed that work there seemed to respond positively to the idea after he posted that list, and they almost always make a few debuts on BOLA weekend to fill out the bracket.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
They did it in a very clever marketing way too

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/739951620511961088

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Would not be at all surprised to see him face Cole, Trevor, or Roddy in Round 1 and then the Bucks in a trios match on either the first round day where he's not in the tourney or on Sunday. PWG is really the place to be to check off almost all of that list without signing a contract with ROH.

Somewhat surprising that they're making a BOLA announcement (and possibly more?) before anything about the Thirteen card.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

That's kind of what they did last year too.

Didn't they actually start announcing the BOLA participants on the day of Threemendous? I remember being at a gas station getting ready to head to Reseda when my phone started blowing up with a bunch of notifications. Or maybe that was Mystery Vortex day.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Fart Radio posted:

So does that mean BOLA is on Labor Day weekend? He's booked the weekend of the 19th and also the 26th, and I can't imagine it won't be any later in the year than that.

Certainly seems to imply that, but he's only booked for Evolve on Friday the weekend of the 19th so he could possibly work days 2 and 3 of BOLA if it's that weekend. Galloway and a couple others did that last year iirc.

Elgin also tweeted about having dates on the weekend of the 26th open recently, and I can't imagine he wouldn't be booked for BOLA if he weren't already in Japan. So we can probably safely rule that one out at least.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Didn't Beyond have some big dramatic falling out with the Fete venue a while back? Kind of strange that they're already back in the building a few months later.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Candice is already confirmed for KoT, right? Guess we can safely rule her out for the BOLA bracket then. She hasn't been booked very much since moving out to Ohio anyway, unfortunately. Maybe if LU gets renewed again and she catches on there.

Does the Observer have any more information besides the dates? I keep expecting the Thirteen and BOLA lineups to be announced soon, we're closing in on the time when they'd typically put tickets on sale for the former.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
There are definitely other guys on the roster I'd rather see Marty wrestle but Callihan's been good lately and I think that's a really good card top to bottom. Interesting that Galloway's not on it after proclaiming he's going after the belt at Prince though.

The_Rob posted:

What's the date of the show?

July 29th, the anniversary show is always the last Friday of July

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Their match at BOLA 14 was one of the best of a fantastic tournament, I can only imagine how bananas it'll be when they're main eventing

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No title rematch for Roddy?

PWG doesn't do automatic title rematches and they've already run Roddy/Sabre in singles twice now. If they do have Roddy challenge for the title again it'd probably have to be a Guerrilla Warfare match, that would be the only real way to escalate things for a blowoff.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That round robin seems like a pretty big step down from last year's

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Got stuck with standing room for PWG, but I'll live

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Do you just follow the pwg Twitter account for on sale dates/links?

Yup, Twitter is by far the best way of keeping up with PWG developments in general. I recommend turning notifications on.

Tickets always go on sale at 8 PM, usually on a Thursday night about a month before the show.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That spot was like, right at the beginning of the match too.

Chris Hero is the best wrestler on the planet.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Oatgan come to BOLA

everybody come to BOLA, it's the best

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Glad tommy's getting one more bola in

I better get my O'Reilly match, goddamn it.

Dunne is a guy who's been getting a ton of buzz lately (including from US indy guys who've done UK tours), so I'm intrigued by his addition. Gallagher less so, but that's maybe just because I'm annoyed by his gimmick. I like Mundo's work on LU, and he's been to at least one PWG show as a fan so he knows what the atmosphere is like, but I'm mildly concerned he won't bring his A-game for what represents a smaller booking in his world.

I'm guessing we won't see a ton of surprises in the second half of the field, tbh. We still have some obvious mainstays like Hero and O'Reilly who haven't been added yet, Chuck and Trent will probably be there, I suspect Ricochet and Roddy will be in the bracket even if they are both signing with NXT. There are probably only a couple spots left for guys who aren't already regulars even if Zack isn't in the tournament as champion.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Pretty sure he uses his shoot name in all of his other (infrequent) indie appearances.

It's not like anybody in the PWG fanbase isn't going to know who he is without the name, especially considering the considerable crossover with the people who go to LU tapings anyway.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Clearly he just needs to start being booked as Johnny Morissundo.

Also known as The Caristico Gambit

Benne posted:

Apparently LU crowds chant "Johnny Queero" (which gets turned into "Johnny Zero" in post-production) so that's probably what we'll get here

It's 'Johnny Puto' actually. Not sure how much that'll carry over in Reseda though, especially since they probably won't explicitly book him as a heel.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's been a 24-person bracket the last two years and since they've already announced it as a 3-day event I'm nearly certain that trend will continue.

Notable PWG regulars who aren't in the entrants so far: O'Reilly, Roddy, Sydal, Scurll, Thatcher, Galloway, Chuck and Trent. The G-1 tour will be over by then so Elgin and Omega might be available too. Probably not going to be a lot of surprises in the last 8, but I'm still holding out hope for Tozawa.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
We're almost certainly not getting a significant lucha contingent like last year but Rey Horus would be a great addition.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Idk who their vector for getting CMLL guys would even be, the AAA guys made sense last year because of Ricochet and Cage in the LU locker room. I guess Elgin's in Mexico for CMLL right now but I'm sure the entire field for BOLA weekend has been booked for a while. Plus we're presuming a lot to think a guy on Rush's level would even care about working American indies. Horus isn't directly tied to AAA as far as I know despite wrestling for LU so I assume he'd be a lot easier to book. Flamita as well, for that matter. Ever since I saw that killer Puma/Azteca match that just aired today at the tapings I went to I've been hoping Ricochet would get Horus to Reseda.

But again, there are only 8 spots left and most of them will probably be going to people who already wrestle for the company regularly. I'm only holding out hope for Tozawa because he's already performing in the States for the CWC around the same timeframe, and he's managed to make PWG twice in the last year despite Dragon Gate's heavy touring schedule.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I feel like if Hero does a senton on Kimber Lee he might actually crush her

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Roddy's coming back to Evolve once his ROH bookings wrap up, we'll see whether that's a prelude to signing with NXT or if he's just gonna be completely freelance now.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Fenix is coming back then it seems almost certain that Pentagon's one of the final four.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KungFu Grip posted:

At some point wanting to book the best dudes without spending so much money means PWG testing out moving so they can sell more tickets

Finding a venue in the LA area that a) can seat a lot of people, b) has the ability to sell alcohol, and c) doesn't charge insane rates for rent is easier said than done. They ran a larger venue than the legion hall for the last Kurt Russellreunion which was what... four years ago now? Obviously PWG is dramatically more popular now than back then, but the rumor I heard was that Super Dragon wasn't happy with how the atmosphere of the building came across on tape so they scrapped it and went back to Reseda.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I am all for this delay because tomorrow is the only Thursday night until September I won't be at home if they put tickets on sale. Friday afternoon sounds like a great time to announce the last four to me.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
For a second I was sure I had already seen that match had been booked somewhere but then I remembered it was the PWX match Zack had to pull out of because of his injury

I think it might be booked for an upcoming Evolve card too

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's a pretty incredible field on paper, but I really had my heart set on Tozawa being there. Surprised that Ospreay is coming back as he's supposedly cutting way back on his indie dates, especially outside of the UK.

Just looking at the bracket it's tough for me to handicap this one, PWG tournaments are usually pretty easy to predict because the booking protects guys they plan on pushing and BOLA/DDT4 is just the extra bit to put them over the top, but there are a lot of people who are brand new or close enough to it (Cobb, Castle, Kamaitachi) that they haven't gotten a win yet. Speedball was a slam dunk if he hadn't gotten popped at the border, I had a suspicion that Thatcher or Galloway were next in line but they're not even in the field. I actually think Ospreay might win this one, as he's one of the only guys who has won enough matches in the promotion to have credibility and hasn't either won BOLA before or already lost to Zack in singles.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Cole and the Bucks vs. Haskins, Dunne, and End and Ricochet/Sydal vs. Scurll/Sabre for the tag matches on Night 1, imo

Actually if they wanted to do another 6-man GW match they could easily lay the groundwork for it during the Tommy/Cole match at Thirteen, although Tommy might not want to do a big no DQ match immediately before reporting to NXT.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
He just came back from surgery pretty recently, right? The shows were probably mostly booked by the time he was even available.

That being said I would totally be down for Cuerno in PWG, especially if he's more affordable for them to book than Fenix and Pentagon.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Liger's way cooler than Ibushi anyway, and much more likely to care about having good matches at BOLA

Plus Ibushi could be signed already for all we know

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
How has it not occurred to Gabe to start booking Josh Alexander if Ethan Page is such a staple for WWN now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah, unfortunately using guys who are also under contract to ROH or TNA (and possibly AAA now?) prevents them from doing iPPVs. Evolve is pretty much the only indie I can think of that streams 100% of their shows, even ROH saves it for their big dates. I would hazard to say that Gabe building cards exclusively from freelancers so he can do iPPVs probably has a causal relationship with Evolve's live crowds being so consistently weak outside of the Mania weekend shows.

Their turnaround time for shipping shows has gotten better recently, they're actually completely caught up now when I know people were griping about it during the winter. Granted, the ASW11/Lemmy/Bowie/ASW12 run was spaced much closer together than PWG typically runs. They usually make a priority of getting BOLA out quickly, no doubt because it probably draws more interest then the rest of their shows combined.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 11, 2016