Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gallagher's a great British technical grapplefuck guy. He wrestled Johnny Kidd at one of the recent PROGRESS shows and it was really entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Andrews/Hero is going to be loving amazing.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Hearing that Nick Gage is coming back to wrestle in September.

I hope we actually get to see that Gage/Thatcher match that Beyond booked.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

C. Everett Koop posted:

https://twitter.com/juicefreak247/status/739579235615006722

i'm the pane of glass that shatters due to the sheer force of the 720 lariat

Zandig is like the lowest stakes Hulk Hogan and it's incredible :allears:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

abraham linksys posted:

evolve 74 tickets are up, any goons going? http://www.dgusa.tv/events/evolve-74

thinking about jumping on a pair of front row tickets but I don't think I'm going to be able to convince my roommate to go purely off the promise of Ricochet :(

Also Chris Hero wrestling Dick Togo holy poo poo

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Skarsnik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yAijeO-8bA

Nice little documentary about PROGRESS. The Haskins stuff is kinda :smith: knowing what happened not long after

It's loving heartbreaking. Haskins was one of the first guys that I gravitated towards in the British indie scene and knowing that he may never wrestle again makes me so sad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jenkem Delivery posted:

How long does it take to get PWG DVDs shipped when you purchase through the winter sale? I ordered almost two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything

It is VERY variable. I got a set that I ordered in late December around January 7th last year. But I also ordered another set and straight up didn't receive them, even after they got back in touch with me to drop the Paypal dispute.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Well, they'll be the same size.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I Before E posted:

Is that a War Boy?

Basically, yeah. Robbo is like 5'4" and loves curb stomping dudes and then spitting on them.

Though I'm kind of surprised that he's in a singles match on this show, since Chapter 41 ended with him and Ospreay reforming the Swords of Essex after Ospreay's heel turn.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Critical posted:

Hi.

I'm looking to catch up with PROGRESS stuff since I've caught bits of it on YT.

Are there any other major storylines I should look for? I'm starting with Jimmy Havoc vs the whole goddamn company.

If you're looking to get caught up quickly, Chapter 39 is a great place to start. Chapter 28 also has the beginnings of a lot of feuds, including Tommy End vs Marty Scurll and the start of what would eventually become British Strong Style.

But if you have the time and inclination, I would definitely start with the Havoc storyline and work your way to the present. PROGRESS's long-term storytelling is second to none.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

sportsgenius86 posted:

Are the early shows worth watching?

I was going to start from Chapter 1 and just go through it all but if it's all meh before Chapter 28, I'll just start there.

Oh, they are all totally worth watching, especially because they start building storylines in those early chapters (Havoc, Ospreay, Scurll et al.) that eventually pay off amazingly. The rise of Jimmy Havoc from deathmatch underdog to the most hated wrestler in Britain is probably the best story I've seen in indie wrestling. I just know it was daunting for me as a new fan to hammer through 50+ hours of wrestling to get caught up with what's going on at the moment. I started with Chapter 20 and kept going forward, but I would really love to go back and see those builds.

They start running shows at the Electric Ballroom, their current London home, at Chapter 12 and go from one taped commentator to two live ones at Chapter 20 if you're a bit of a production snob like I am. If you watch this promo package on Havoc's turn and start with Chapter 12, you should be good to go storyline-wise.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chris James 2 posted:

Welp

Remember that Kris Travis Memorial Tournament PCW are running this month? People generally assumed it was (at least partially) going to be for charity, either for cancer research or to Cavendish care who looked after Kris in his final days.

Then when asked whether his family was OK with his name and image being used to promote a PCW show where zero of the proceeds go to charity:

Holy poo poo, at least that Trent Acid tournament that Zandig ran without his family's permission didn't respond to anything.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Boco_T posted:

Oh I watched the match where the Turtles all wrestle each other on Facebook last month, it's really good.

EDIT: Looks like the link still works https://www.facebook.com/926478477376217/videos/1266965309994197/

Does anyone have the link for the 3-way Tortugas Ninjas match that's full of gross chairshots and blading? Someone posted it in the video thread a while ago and I've never been able to find it again.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bustin' 4 Dustin

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo, I may be able to see Mark Haskins wrestle (please don't let it be Ethan Page)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And this is after Pete Dunne straight up dropped off the show because of their previous comments. Really leaning into their scumminess.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Too bad everyone lost their free Wrestle Circus tickets! Now they can't see the new 24/7 champion, r/squaredcircle, defend its title!

https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/841875812919988224

...yep

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

mariooncrack posted:

I picked up a month of floslam so I could watch a lot of the wrestlemania shows.

Anything else in their archives I should check out during this month?

wXw's 16 Carat Gold from this year is a hell of a tournament.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Axel Dieter Jr is bonkers talented and has one of the best looks in wrestling. Hoping for him to join up with Thatcher in EVOLVE to make Ringkampf a thing in the states.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fuuuuuuuuck yeah

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/852575382612127745

Beyond is one of my favorite companies out there and if this kills their big shows, I am going to be heartbroken.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basic Chunnel posted:

what's up with the Who Dars Wins tee and the wrist kissing, is there another Dar brother

Grado, Sha Samuels and Noam Dar were in an ICW faction together called The Pinky Party that was formed to combat Red Lighting and HIS faction, the Black Label. And at Barramania, Grado and Joe Coffey both joined a NEW heel faction to align themselves with Red Lightning, the guy who's been making their lives hell for like 2 years.

ICW is the swerviest promotion in the world.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Skarsnik posted:

So loving proud of all the UK (and honourary brit) wrasslers getting tryouts today, wrestling is great :unsmith:

And it's really nice seeing folks that aren't huge names in there. BT Gunn and Stevie Boy have both been highlights of any ICW show I've seen and Marius Al-Ani really impressed me at wXw's 16 Carat Gold this year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Of the ones I've seen mentioned I'd put Travis Banks above the rest. He's the finished article. Top prospects I'd say Marius Al-Ani and TK Cooper.

I just can't see Brookes and Webster getting signed. They're both good wrestlers, and very smart and inventive about the business, but they really have genetics against them. Brookes is like 6' 4, but he's rail thin. Webster is announced at 160 lbs, and that's with not being in great shape...

Jurn Simmons is an interesting case. He's a giant in indie terms, but wouldn't stand out at all in WWE. He doesn't have a great body and his wrestling is fairly average. Of the WXW lads I'd certainly pick Marius over him.

Yeah, the only reason I didn't mention Banks and Cooper by name is that they already worked those Axxess shows, so they've presumably been on WWE's radar.

And one of the reasons I really love the U.K. scene is because of all of the varied body types. You get big lads like Mastiff and WALTER and lanky giants like Brookes and Eddie Dennis amongst the smaller cruiserweight guys. I wouldn't have been worried about WWE signing them, but then we got Owens, Killian Dain and Heavy Machinery.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I mean, I'm more interested in Broken Chris Renfrew than I ever was in "still trying to make The New Age Kliq a thing" Chris Renfrew.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Muddy Burphy posted:

I just signed up for Demand Progress. Seeking match/show recommendations

Sumerian Death Squad vs The Hunter Brothers (Chapter 20)
Mark Haskins vs Tommaso Ciampa (Chapter 22)
Chris Hero vs Mark Andrews (Chapter 30 Night One)
Mark Haskins vs Johnny Gargano (Chapter 32)
South Pacific Power Trip vs Ring Kampf (Chapter 43)

If you're looking to catch up to the current storyline stuff, I'd start at Chapter 39. The entire show leads to a 7-man elimination match to crown a new champion.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mob posted:

If you have to crowdfund a new venue, you haven't outgrown the old venue

https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/869942225739726848

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Grozz Nuy posted:

Full card, for people who don't keep up with PWG on Twitter:

Is this the first time that PWG has booked Shane Strickland? Dude's been having an amazing year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hell yeah, Mark Davis and Kid Lykos rule.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TV Zombie posted:

any recommendations for progress stuff with South Pacific Power Trip on the card?

The South Pacific Power Trip/Ringkampf match from Chapter 43 elevated both of those teams to beloved status.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

abraham linksys posted:

i just realized the poo poo seat is totally going to be visible in the VOD at some point, because it was first row. maybe they cleaned it later, obviously there were lots of other people not happy to be sitting near it

Oh hey, I think I was sitting next to you. They did eventually clean up the poo poo during Banks/BSS.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that match will be heavily edited.

It's really disheartening that the more I read, the shittier the situation seems to get for everyone (except Gabe, apparently). I had fun and really like going to Evolve shows, but :sigh:

The last time someone got seriously injured on a PROGRESS show, they just cut the match entirely from the VOD. I imagine they'll do the same with this one.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chris James 2 posted:

In case anyone wondered how the 15000 thumbtacks match went

Matt Tremont's the best :allears:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gavok posted:

Mine is the lengthy copyright watermark on the blurry Jeremy Leary image.

Mine is the second picture of Eric Spicely tagged as Chuck O'Neil.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/915133716481101825

This is a genuine dream match for me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The_Rob posted:

I was wondering where Thatcher has been. There was a point last year where he was popping up everywhere and he slowed down. I miss him a lot.

He's actually living in Germany now and teaching at the wXw training school with WALTER.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, I have no idea how he would have caught him at that angle. This just makes Dickinson seem like a wiener.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

tnimark posted:

I have another Progress question. Does the commentary change at some point? As of Chapter 12 it’s just been this one guy and he has absolutely zero energy or enthusiasm.

Chapter 20 is when they switch from one-man prerecorded to a two-man live booth and it makes all the difference in the world. It's where I started and, though I would like to go back and watch some of those earlier shows, I haven't regretted it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Seriously, this match is a war. If you got into WALTER chop murdering people this year, he DOUBLE murders Dragunov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Starr and Riddle have pretty good chemistry too. I saw them at Beyond in Philly and they beat the poo poo out of each other.