Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jenkem Delivery posted:

AR Fox - Aerostar alone is worth the price of admission

Fox has been killing it lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's "Johnny Puto," not "Johnny Queero." They turn "puto" into "zero" because, from what I gather, "puto" is an incredibly offensive word in Spanish.

e:f,b

Puto (as well as I understand It) is basically not just gay but gay male prostitute. It's offensive but also fairly commonly used in Mexican slang so it translates directly a little worse than it actually is. But I can understand why on a show where one of the tenets is equality they don't want someone translating and being like "and then the crowd called the heel a homophobic slur for 20 minutes." As I heard one fan say at the last tapings "we gotta be sensitive to our alternative lifestyle brothers. Those guys working the corners down in TJ, they don't want to be called a Mundo, that's just offensive."

Vampiro actually got on the mic before one of the tapings about mid-season three and asked that the crowd stop using "Johnny Puto" (while agreeing with us that he is, in fact, a puto) because those chants aren't going to make it to air and so they don't help. So now he is "Johnny Culo"' (Johnny rear end). I wouldn't be surprised if they start backfilling Johnny Culo into early episodes that they haven't finished editing yet instead of Johnny Zero. It's funny because I think the crowd literally only ever chanted Johnny Zero once in the history of the promotion, when he was down 1-0 in the All Night Long match against Puma.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If Cody is any indication, Ryback's gonna have as many bookings on demand as he wants for a good long time. So long as he doesn't demand STOOOPID money.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fox: "I want you to slam me head first as hard as you can on the apron. Make sure the edge of it REALLY gets the back of my neck hard"

Ryback: "What? No! I already have this reputation..."

Fox: "AS HARD AS YOU CAN"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

https://twitter.com/danryckert/status/765691815869685761

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

last night's show was alright. the storylines were strong and gabe's doing a good job of weaving thatcher's angle in with catch point and catch point vs galloway's team vs gargano/page. the matches just, by large, didn't match up. i'm usually one of the most vocal gabe detractors with how big of a mess 2013-2015 was in evolve/death of dgusa, but for right now, he's been on a streak of being one of the better bookers in the us.

the opener with tjp/cedric was very good, but everything else outside of the riddle/thatcher match disappointed. catch point vs jigsaw/kaasa was a weird match up that has me convinced that peter kaasa has the biggest disparity between what he's doing (lucharesu flips and awkward grappling) with what he probably should be doing (more of a uhaa/crews power style with specific timing for his acrobatics). page/dustin was a sloppy brawl with page being the biggest dork i've seen and just not meshing. gulak/nese was good but only good. thatcher/riddle was incredible and one of the best thatcher matches i've seen. riddle, for being under two years in, is one of the best talents in evolve and they really worked the nhb gimmick in a smart way. cody/zsj was just ok. weird match-up and it's obvious that cody's going to need time to either transition into the not-wwe style or he's just not going to get it. his new theme/gear are incredibly dorky and him and zsj didn't mesh. he did cut a good go home promo.

I haven't seen it yet but putting Cody with ZSJ seems a odd choice since ZSJ is such a weird style to begin with.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mil Mesias, that's interesting. Is what he's using for independent bookings now?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
At one of the LU taping weekends early in the year, there was a guy who was probably a PWG crossover patiently trying to explain to one of the LU regulars (who speaks basically no english) that he should heckle Justin. They were communicating in like broken spanglish and pantomime. I don't think he ever fully understood it, but before every match that Justin refereed that weekend, the LU regular would yell "JOOOOO SAAAACCCCKKKK JUSTINEEEEEEE" and then be absolutely delighted with the concept and check with the other guy that he was doing it right. It cracked me the hell up. Heckling Justin Borden, a pastime that can cross language and cultural boundaries.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Marty does have a t-shirt! People like Knox too, I've seen a few Knox shirts here and there, but yeah Marty Elias is the Knox of LU. Marty is pretty cool, got fired from WWE for wearing KISS shirts backstage and now he wears one before every show and often fires custom guitar picks into the crowd before matches. He's got a great range with flicking those things, I've seen him get them up into the balcony. I caught one of the Ultima Lucha Tres ones.

He's also really good at the little things as a ref -- he checks the ropes and the ring mats in between matches and catches a lot of problems, I've seen him stop potential issues with small debris in the ring, he's always in control of things if someone is injured or maybe injured, etc. Knox is obviously great at all that as well. There's room for love for both of them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

hold up, Paul London is alive and able to travel internationally?

Hell yeah, he's even got himself a nice little Lucha Underground deal

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Fenix hurt his shoulder tonight, I hope it isn't too serious :smith:

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/790019580773093376

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Germansimp posted:

Here's a video of the spot where he was injured:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb5kJ3uNBik

At least they were smart enough to go to the finish immediately and didn't continue because one of them still had to get his poo poo in.

Oh that sucks. It looks like they were supposed to come off the rope walk at the same time so Fenix would get like kicked out of the air with little real impact, but he slipped off the rope at the worst time and got legit kicked/leg dropped in the shoulder instead. From the look of it, that's a dislocation at best.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mob posted:

Don't play with my emotions like that, rovert, I know the man can pay the pot tax

I wonder if they can pre-pay it. Like "look, I'm going to fail this literally every time you test me, so here's a year in advance"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deathlove posted:

King Cuerno at the next AAW show at 115 :swoon:

Is he being billed as King Cuerno or Hijo de Fantasma? Or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mob posted:

LU gets after people who advertise using their trademarked names, they got mad about the Pentagon Dark name being used to advertise a show with Pentagon Jr

The showrunner said on an interview this week that they want to start setting up licenses for the talent to be able to use their LU gimmicks at other indies. Which would make sense, that way they can protect their IP, and still keep the workers happy, and get free advertising. That's why I was curious how AAW were billing Cuerno, I thought it was probably too early for those agreements to be in place yet, but it was possible.