Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Our favorite alien goofballs are back in another chapter of Kumika!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've never really said it, but I do think Kumika manga is pretty cute. It's like if the world of Gintama was somewhat more sane and was just basically a food manga.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Two new series have popped up! First is I Opened Up A Cafe In A Different World, an.. other Isekai food manga. An office worker ends up transported into another world, only to find the food tastes terrible, so she makes it her mission to cook good food (and as the title suggests, she eventually runs a cafe.) Currently 3 chapters translated, although only the second features actual cooking; the other chapters mainly set up the universe and premise. The characters in this are great, the nobles are just so enthusiastic about eating new food, and the maids are cool:

The second series is Rewarding Oneself with Sushi about a woman who eats sushi; basically Wakako-Zake except she only goes to sushi restaurants (from what I can tell from the raws.) The first chapter didn't jump out at me, but the premise seems interesting so hopefully it will get better in a few chapters.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'll have to see how it develops, but the Cafe Isekai kind of strikes me as ehhh because it does the thing where the other world characters are like, "Wow, so awesome, you made this totally new thing that isn't your own invention."

Which of course, is most Isekai, but it just makes the author and their protagonist super condescending in this case about what tastes good or not. I don't get that feeling from Restaurant to Another World for instance; sure they're amazed by the boss's food, but you have characters that actively try to recreate the same tastes and experiment with their own cuisine at the very least.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Plus in Restaurant to Another World the cafe is a pretty popular location during the weekdays when the door's closed, so he's a good chef by our standards too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So in western fiction I've seen the idea of "the restaurant at the end of the Universe" a few times. A sort of temporal nexus where people from all realms and/or timelines can converge and usually positioned just before the universe ceases to exist. And given that the clients are from across time and space they usually serve pretty much anything a customer can request. Have any of these Isekai touched on this particular setup or something similar? It seems that any connections are between two places, earth and some fantasy land.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU COME RIGHT OUT AND GIVE AWAY THE ENTIRE CONCEIT OF THIS STORYLINE LIKE THAT?! JUST FILL THAT poo poo IN WITH "?????????"

THE ENTIRE POINT OF THESE TWO IS THAT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT THE OLD MAN IS THE FORMER EMPERORJASKDFJASKLDFJASKLDFJASDF

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

New Misoshiro. Zen-chan do you best! I'm enjoying the teacher omakes too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Misoshiro is so wholesome...it's healing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Back half of the latest chapter of Isekai Sisters is up: https://mangadex.org/chapter/448030/1

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, on the Shoujo thread someone mentioned Gal Gohan...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

maybe it's cause I read real trashy poo poo but this series is way too sweet to be labeled as horny. there's a couple of cheesecake pages but honestly, they barely register

when I think "very horny" I think of stuff that's at least at the level of Gal Gohan or similar levels of barely making it three pages without a fanservice panel
And while SBB wasn't kidding when he said that Gal Gohan being very fanservicey, but at the same time...

... I kinda like the overall art direction it has, particularly on covers like this one. Also, some of the food is a bit easier to get good at than SNS and similar series (I've been getting sloppier on my cooking :shobon:)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We need more main heroines like this. It was a great moment when The typical fireworks confession happens, and instead of just petering out main girl goes for round 2 and conveys what she is feeling.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought that was choice, too! In general, I like Miku because, while she was obviously designed with a "Cheesecake/Fanservice Character" frame of mind, she's kinda a little bit like Galko-chan in that she seems to have a developed personality beyond just being eyecandy.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've tried reading Gal Gohan a few times to give it a chance and while the art is nice and so are the foods, it still veers too much towards fanservice and the uncomfortable teacher - student romance for me to really enjoy anything about it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

I've tried reading Gal Gohan a few times to give it a chance and while the art is nice and so are the foods, it still veers too much towards fanservice and the uncomfortable teacher - student romance for me to really enjoy anything about it.
Yeah. :sigh:

Especially given that it's a Seinen publication, I wish more mangakas would freely try to not have to cram a high-school student as an MC. Hell, now that I think about it a little, a Gal Teacher learning how to cook could be fun/cute!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Wark Say posted:

Especially given that it's a Seinen publication, I wish more mangakas would freely try to not have to cram a high-school student as an MC. Hell, now that I think about it a little, a Gal Teacher learning how to cook could be fun/cute!

I would definitely read that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

Compendium posted:

I would definitely read that.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

New Nomi Joshi chapter!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This manga https://mangadex.org/title/28329/hiru-to-yoru-no-oishii-jikan

is cute

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This manga https://mangadex.org/title/30540/iso-asobi

is also cute

the chapter says one-shot but I'd def read more of this

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Didn't realize it had updated over the past month.
You're always trying your best :shobon:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes Good

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Welp, I have like five thousand tabs of food manga open now thanks to this thread.

And yet I can't find it in me to be remotely grumpy about it. Not after reading the maiko manga. :kimchi: After the week I've had, I really needed some wholesome cute stuff like this.

Thank you for existing, thread.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Skylight posted:

Welp, I have like five thousand tabs of food manga open now thanks to this thread.

And yet I can't find it in me to be remotely grumpy about it. Not after reading the maiko manga. :kimchi: After the week I've had, I really needed some wholesome cute stuff like this.

Thank you for existing, thread.

I'm glad you are enjoying food mangas, food mangas for all.

Also I've been trying to scour some archives to see if there's something that might be worth reading and although there's... no chapters, this manga with two besties just touring a fantasy world and eating their way through it sounds right up my alley and I hope someone translates it in the future.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
enjoying local cuisine instead of inflicting absolute dominance via simple japanese cooking? that sounds great.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!

Hopefully someone gets on it soon, it really does sound neat.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Maiko-san Hell yeah!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Maiko-san is the manga we don't deserve, but we desperately need in these dark times.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Another Isekai cafe manga, but this one looks kinda cute.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/453907/3

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Maiko-san
Secret breakfast.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Scones are delicious.

I got a super strong craving for spicy Thai chilis with fish sauce and I've been eating it more boldly with my dinner than I usually do because of the Mark Wiens traveler dude on YouTube. Thai food doesn't get enough love in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkhOnPaKZ8U

That instant noodle "salad", iced drinks, and the pork and egg rice with all those chilis... drat...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I live in a small town in the middle of the Rockies in Montana, so my exposure to Thai food was zero. Then a Thai lady moved up here with her husband and they decided to run a food truck during the peak tourist time in the summer last year (and continued this summer) and I figured I'd give it a try, and fell in love. I'm not big on spicy food so I haven't tried much of that yet, but everything else has been great.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Onean posted:

I live in a small town in the middle of the Rockies in Montana, so my exposure to Thai food was zero. Then a Thai lady moved up here with her husband and they decided to run a food truck during the peak tourist time in the summer last year (and continued this summer) and I figured I'd give it a try, and fell in love. I'm not big on spicy food so I haven't tried much of that yet, but everything else has been great.

What a cool story. What did you try out and does the couple have their own website if any social media?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They have a Facebook page. The first two things I tried were the Tom Kar (chicken, not a big fan of shrimp) and the Thai Teriyaki Chicken. Their last day this year is tomorrow, I might have to stop by and try the Pad See Ew I've been meaning to...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Alcohol is for Married Couples
Secret drinking has never been so cute.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
New Maiko-san.

Riko's hair has been growing out :3

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Isekai sisters is back! https://mangadex.org/chapter/459232/1

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Check out this rare interview with Tochi Ueyama, the creator of Cooking Papa!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Aaaaah I'm melting :kimchi:

And here's a new chapter (and a half) of Misoshiro de Kanpai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!

Can Of Worms posted:

Aaaaah I'm melting :kimchi:

Pretty much how I reacted to that little critter, too. What a cutie!