Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

Yeah, sounds like he just didn't meet expectations, has been playing a bit overweight, and also probably getting killed for not living up to expectations. From all accounts he's still a fantastic skater with very good size and strength, but perhaps the offense isn't where people expected and his development wasn't what people expected.

I've seen some reports that he was still an excellent player this draft year but hey, you take your chances with a 3rd round pick, boom or bust

e: he can also play in the AHL at age 19 (one more year in the OHL rather than two) since he started in the OHL a year early, so that's handy

The knock on him is that he doesn't take it seriously and has a piss work ethic. See: showing up overweight as a junior. He's a guy who was allegedly a "do not draft" for a lot of teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Oh no - Scott Stevens is a hipster.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Chicago gets deBrincat with the Habs pick? Fuuuuuuck offfffff

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

yellowcar posted:

Chicago gets deBrincat with the Habs pick? Fuuuuuuck offfffff

Please control your rage... for when the habs trade Subban to the hawks

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Linus Hogberg, I can't even begin to express how happy I am with the player names the Flyers have drafted this year

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
All Tampa Bay Lightning fans can line up here to ask me questions about 37th overall pick Libor "That Idiot Libor" Hajek

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ducks fans: Legendary RCMP officer/colonising rat bastard turned young hockey phenom Sam Steel is a fun little waterbug out there. He reminds me of Eberle, maybe only because he is the best Pat since that gap toothed fuckface. Not as good a shot, but also plays more with the puck than Ebs did. He is a smooth skater and sees the ice well. He also weighs like 90 pounds and will be utterly destroyed if he doesn't bulk up. I think I had on these forums as Eberle being a 30-30-60 guy when he was drafted. I don't think Steel sees the show until he stops having the body of a 13 year old swimmer and I'm not sure he has the same ceiling as Eberle but he will probably also have a smoother 200 foot game if his hockey IQ and skating keeps up. The stickarts pledge has his peak around 20-30-50. He and Getzlaf can share stories about cruising Albert Street looking for babes.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I thought if a prospect went unsigned (like Bleakley), he could just sign with whomever? Did the Blues draft him to guarantee that he'd be in their organization?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

Both 2016 2nds for Shaw. Man. I really wanted the Habs to take Pu. F u bergevin. t:mad:

I like the Bitten puck because the english media can make bad puns

The french media would have just spouted Pu-Ri over and over

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
oilers last pick a 20 year old ncaa rd whos 6'6 and scored 2 points last year

cant teach that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike_V posted:

I thought if a prospect went unsigned (like Bleakley), he could just sign with whomever? Did the Blues draft him to guarantee that he'd be in their organization?

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/ this came up in google. i'd just assume that because they drafted him and nobody made a stink about it then he wasn't a ufa. the only interesting thing in there is that if goes unsigned again then he's a ufa

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

fits posted:

oilers last pick a 20 year old ncaa rd whos 6'6 and scored 2 points last year

cant teach that

in 2009 the devils used a sixth rounder to draft a 19-year-old winger who posted a 4-point, 111 PIM statline in the Q. a year later he was playing junior A hockey.

a year after that he put up 0 points and 84 PIM in the LNAH.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Poonerman posted:

in 2009 the devils used a sixth rounder to draft a 19-year-old winger who posted a 4-point, 111 PIM statline in the Q. a year later he was playing junior A hockey.

I honestly thought that was going to end with him becoming a decent 3rd line grinder. You have ruined me.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Poonerman posted:

career goon

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Poonerman posted:

From what I've heard, 84PIMs in the LNAH is a really low number.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks had a lousy draft and I am not at all enamored with Juleovi. Just so y'all know.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Schlesische posted:

From what I've heard, 84PIMs in the LNAH is a really low number.

he washed out after 16 games.

no record of him playing hockey since!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So Ive been busy and missed all the excitement. Did any team do anything stupid other than maybe Columbus taking PL Dubois 3rd?

e: Oh poo poo Chicago basically traded Shaw for DeBrincat? Cool.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The Leafs are having what looks to be a not very encouraging draft. After Matthews, a whole lot of big guys and overagers.

Would have liked to see them go for more upside, for sure. Not really liking how off-board they've been going with their high 2nds the last couple of drafts.

Still, Nielsen was an unheralded big guy that got panned as a pick last year, now turning into one of the org's better D prospects. Much as I would have preferred Mascherin/Girard/Abramov I don't know how strong I should rally be feeling about it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

Would have liked to see them go for more upside, for sure. Not really liking how off-board they've been going with their high 2nds the last couple of drafts.

Still, Nielsen was an unheralded big guy that got panned as a pick last year, now turning into one of the org's better D prospects. Much as I would have preferred Mascherin/Girard/Abramov I don't know how strong I should rally be feeling about it.

That's the thing with this. You can feel real strongly about a pick, and sometimes fuckups are really obvious (Jankowski going too early, Tyler Biggs going at all, etc), but mostly
a) we're not full time scouts
b) where someone is picked influences how they are developed
c) a huge part of this is just luck.

So like there are things I can be mad at, like how last year Ottawa passed twice on Konecny, but at the end of the day I really thought MPS was going to be a superstar, and I thought Cuma was a real safe pick the year Ottawa took Karlsson, so what the gently caress do I know.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks had a lousy draft and I am not at all enamored with Juleovi. Just so y'all know.

I was expecting the Habs to get Juolevi rather than Sergachev. I wished Buffalo didn't take Nylander though. That would've been my ideal outcome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Past Tkachuk and Ty Parsons, I'm not too thrilled about the Flames draft, unless somebody can sell me on Dillon Dube. Calgary drafted a couple enormous dudes with zero skill late in the game, not happy about it. loving Burke.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Coyotes made 4 total picks this year. At least they did well in the 1st round...

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Flyers did real good this year. They addressed the lack of forward prospects pretty well and grabbed guys who should fit well in Hakstol's forecheck heavy offence.

Also as much as Homer drive me nuts as GM, he's always been a terrific amateur scout.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Coyotes made 4 total picks this year. At least they did well in the 1st round...

Cam Dineen seems offensively talented, at least, as does Pat Kudla. I'll take a flyer on guys with good stats who might flame out and might not over walking coke machines every goddamned time.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Past Tkachuk and Ty Parsons, I'm not too thrilled about the Flames draft, unless somebody can sell me on Dillon Dube. Calgary drafted a couple enormous dudes with zero skill late in the game, not happy about it. loving Burke.

You got Matthew Phillips, the WHL ROTY, as a steal in the 6th round because he's small. Balances out I think.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jordan7hm posted:

The knock on him is that he doesn't take it seriously and has a piss work ethic. See: showing up overweight as a junior. He's a guy who was allegedly a "do not draft" for a lot of teams.

I've also seen people say one reason for his poor work ethic is his family went through some poo poo recently and he was pre-occupied with that. He's also apparently done a much better job getting in shape lately.

Main thing seems to be whether the work ethic issues are behind him or if he's just a fuckup

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

toe knee hand posted:

You got Matthew Phillips, the WHL ROTY, as a steal in the 6th round because he's small. Balances out I think.

Jesus, he's Theo Fleury level small. Usually works out well for the Flames though. Thanks for pointing this out, though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

darkwolf220 posted:

You did trade for an anti-gay superstar, that'll get the conservatives in Arizona fired up for hockey.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually really liked the draft results. We took a wide range of player types and skillsets.

6th - Tkachuk, exactly who I was hoping for but assumed it was a pipe dream. Could be a perfect complimentary player to Bennett.

54th - Tyler Parsons. Winning goalie from the Memorial Cup, why not?

56th - Dillon Dube. Skilled and small... but McKenzie had him 37th and Button 28th.

66th - Adam Fox. Smart defenceman who was just named the top Dman at the U-18 tourney. Probably would have been a 1st rounder if he was a few inches taller. Craig Button had him ranked 38th.

96th - Linus Lindstrom. Don't know much of him but our Swedish scout was losing his mind over this kid apparently.

126th - Mitch Mattson. A high potential type of player. Apparently thought to be comparable to Tufte who went 25th. "Red Line’s man in Minnesota is starting to feel that Grand Rapids pivot Mitchell Mattson has the same upside, if not moreso, than Tufte." Craig Button had him 37th.

156th - Eetu Tuulola. Awesome name... but also a big RW powerforward type of player. Who knows.

166th - Matthew Phillips. As mentioned he was the WHL rookie of the year but tiny. 5'7" 145, but looks like Gaudreau out there. Craig Button had him ranked 33rd!

186th - Stepan Falkovsky. Overager 6'7" dman. Apparently he's far from the Kanzig/Breen mold though. Flames liked him last year but he got hurt, actually put up good numbers and was great in the WJC for Belarus.

Corey Pronman gave the Flames an A-
http://i.imgur.com/Mg9j6o1.png

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 26, 2016

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

It would've been great to have Tkachuk who could play right away and have something exciting to watch this season.

Won't they be sticking Juelovi on the farm for a couple years?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I'm starting to feel really bad for Canucks fans. I mean Sweeney is bad, but he's made ok moves too. Benning is just...wow

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

It would've been great to have Tkachuk who could play right away and have something exciting to watch this season.

Tkachuk will probably be down in London again this year too, he still has a lot be could learn about defense and playing as the teams 'top guy'

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Even though Juolevi is a finn, he was drafted from the CHL and i don't think he's on loan from Jokerit so normal CHL-rules apply to him, aka. he can't be assigned to AHL until the season he turns 20.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jordan7hm posted:

That's the thing with this. You can feel real strongly about a pick, and sometimes fuckups are really obvious (Jankowski going too early, Tyler Biggs going at all, etc), but mostly
a) we're not full time scouts
b) where someone is picked influences how they are developed
c) a huge part of this is just luck.

So like there are things I can be mad at, like how last year Ottawa passed twice on Konecny, but at the end of the day I really thought MPS was going to be a superstar, and I thought Cuma was a real safe pick the year Ottawa took Karlsson, so what the gently caress do I know.

My favourite is still people's reactions to Montreal drafting Price 5th.

Or, like you, picking Kadri over MPS.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Even though Juolevi is a finn, he was drafted from the CHL and i don't think he's on loan from Jokerit so normal CHL-rules apply to him, aka. he can't be assigned to AHL until the season he turns 20.

Players selected in the CHL import draft are eligible for the AHL straight away once they sign a pro contract.
Julius Honka went to the Texas Stars at 18 under similar circumstances.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

My favourite is still people's reactions to Montreal drafting Price 5th.

Or, like you, picking Kadri over MPS.

I was still right about Cowen being a bad pick though.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

ThinkTank posted:

Players selected in the CHL import draft are eligible for the AHL straight away once they sign a pro contract.
Julius Honka went to the Texas Stars at 18 under similar circumstances.

I think Honka was eligible because he had a contract with Jyp but was just on loan in CHL. I could be wrong (i often am).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Hiekkakauppias posted:

I think Honka was eligible because he had a contract with Jyp but was just on loan in CHL. I could be wrong (i often am).

Yeah, I think this is correct and Juolevi is stuck with the normal CHL restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Yeah, I think this is correct and Juolevi is stuck with the normal CHL restrictions.

You are correct. Both were selected in the CHL import draft so I figured both were eligible. Dang, oh well. Still, he needs another year of junior regardless.

• Locked thread