Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Noper Q posted:

Can you still capture enemies by throwing them onto your base panel? In Disgaea 2, you could use that and level up geo effects to get a level 9999 catgirl really early in the story, so I wonder if the same is true here.

Also, I'm really enjoying the LP. I wish I had the money for a PS4 so I could pick up Disgaea 5.

Pretty sure base panel capture does in fact still work yeah.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Laharl screwed up his first impression, but at least the second impression seems to have gone a bit better. Although wait, if the gate isn't opening for anyone, then Xenolith and the angel must still be in the Netherworld.

That is a highly suspicious Evility on Xenolith.

Is "Sea Horse Charge" supposed to be a reference to "Sea Charge"? I don't know what book it could be referring to. But then again we have Demons with names like "Farranigo High School".

It's a reference to some Japanese book apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Noper Q posted:

Can you still capture enemies by throwing them onto your base panel? In Disgaea 2, you could use that and level up geo effects to get a level 9999 catgirl really early in the story, so I wonder if the same is true here.

You can, but doing so triggers a sort of offscreen fight between the unit you're trying to capture and all of the units you have left in reserve. I forget how the math works, but anybody who's significantly stronger than your backfield will punch their way back out of your base panel, which destroys it for the duration of the current mission.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Seyser Koze posted:

I think Shallie was the first one to do away with the time limit, although that one's third in a trilogy.

I wouldn't know. I've only seen the LPs on the archive, and AFAIK they always have some kind of time limit. I'm the kind of guy who would restart Stardew Vallew to optimize buy and extra bag of seeds, so I'd rather avoid those.

Damnit, Feinne, stop making me buy videogames.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

You can, but doing so triggers a sort of offscreen fight between the unit you're trying to capture and all of the units you have left in reserve. I forget how the math works, but anybody who's significantly stronger than your backfield will punch their way back out of your base panel, which destroys it for the duration of the current mission.

That sounds exactly like how it worked in Disgaea 2. The trick was that you didn't go straight for the level-9999 monster, but instead worked your way up gradually, with each new monster helping to capture the next one. You could still make substantial jumps since the capture mechanic didn't simulate "real" combat (I think it primarily compared health totals), plus of course the monster was "battling" the entirety of your army except for any deployed units.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I wouldn't know. I've only seen the LPs on the archive, and AFAIK they always have some kind of time limit. I'm the kind of guy who would restart Stardew Vallew to optimize buy and extra bag of seeds, so I'd rather avoid those.

Damnit, Feinne, stop making me buy videogames.

Shallie doesn't have a time system at all effectively, and Sophie's is just for requests and the game deciding where NPCs in town should be.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Xenolith...Foreign Stone? Or maybe it's short for lithosphere, which would make his name mean something along the lines of "Foreign Earth". Sounds like a good name for somebody reshaping the form of the Netherworld, no?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds exactly like how it worked in Disgaea 2. The trick was that you didn't go straight for the level-9999 monster, but instead worked your way up gradually, with each new monster helping to capture the next one. You could still make substantial jumps since the capture mechanic didn't simulate "real" combat (I think it primarily compared health totals), plus of course the monster was "battling" the entirety of your army except for any deployed units.

Yeah, that's what I remember. I don't know how the math worked exactly, but in effect, you could capture anything with up to twice the level of your highest-level unit. You can imagine how that would quickly get out of hand.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I would absolutely not put it past Disgaea to have somebody with an Evility that's literally just a bunch of question marks that does nothing, and everyone's afraid of your mysterious unknown power.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Glazius posted:

You know, I would absolutely not put it past Disgaea to have somebody with an Evility that's literally just a bunch of question marks that does nothing, and everyone's afraid of your mysterious unknown power.

That would be pretty funny. Or maybe it randomly picks any other evility each map and then doesn't tell you which one it is.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Disgaea 2 was so laughably broken that you could get a level 9999 Nekomata in the game's first five hours, making the level with the Level Up geo effect a veritable Disk One Deathstar. Fun as beating Etna at at a fraction of her level was, it's probably for the best that it wasn't a level design that's survived multiple games.

As a side note, is there any way to make Maids in Disgaea 5 not utterly useless? The one I have from the start of the game is at a higher level than the main cast, has been re-incarnated as a skilled level 3 (just once), and even given some of the best gear I have (way above what the enemy has), but she still only hits for scratch damage. Right now, she's basically a mix between a lovely thief and a lovely priest, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make her useful.

Also, Desco and Fuka must be incredibly drat popular to get their own DLC instead of being incorporated into the DLC with the actual protagonist: poor Metallia doesn't even get an event, and the Hundred Knight seems to have gotten the Yukimaru treatment, which is a drat shame, since I like them both (The Hundred Knight much more so, but Yukimaru had an interesting skill set, decent personality, and a voice that isn't horribly shrill).

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

The Evil Overlord List posted:

Whatever my one vulnerability is, I will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be "Hmm...I think I need a shave."

Checks out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

As a side note, is there any way to make Maids in Disgaea 5 not utterly useless? The one I have from the start of the game is at a higher level than the main cast, has been re-incarnated as a skilled level 3 (just once), and even given some of the best gear I have (way above what the enemy has), but she still only hits for scratch damage. Right now, she's basically a mix between a lovely thief and a lovely priest, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make her useful.

Don't they have a skill that grants extra actions to someone else? That seems like a thing you could use.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

wdarkk posted:

Don't they have a skill that grants extra actions to someone else? That seems like a thing you could use.

It's huge -- as long as your Maid survives, you can give your biggest damage dealer two actions per round, benefiting from combos or re-positioning or whatever else; if you need it, this basically doubles any unit's movement range, too (run in, attack, get your action refreshed, run again). They're excellent supports, especially since they can throw around healing or minor damage at range without using an action, leaving them free to constantly refresh your team's actions while they do. They're just bad at... killing anything ever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you not steal from allied units?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've never played an Atelier game before this one, but it's pretty clear that this is like their millionth iteration on a theme and they've had a lot of time to polish all their systems. It's actually pretty impressive how few rough edges there are left. My only big complaint is that there are a lot of different places where different kinds of information can be, and it's not always easy to find what you're looking for. I wish it had some kind of universal search box, where you could just type a word or phrase and it would look for it everywhere in your inventory, the encyclopedia, and all the recipes you know all at once. It seems like developers really don't like to go out to the system keyboard, though, for what I can only assume are very legitimate reasons.

The other thing is that some of the characters have really stupid outfits, but I'll even allow that because within the game's own fiction, those characters had their clothes designed by one particular eccentric fashion designer, and I find that funny enough that I'll let it slide.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 14, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Poltergrift posted:

It's huge -- as long as your Maid survives, you can give your biggest damage dealer two actions per round, benefiting from combos or re-positioning or whatever else; if you need it, this basically doubles any unit's movement range, too (run in, attack, get your action refreshed, run again). They're excellent supports, especially since they can throw around healing or minor damage at range without using an action, leaving them free to constantly refresh your team's actions while they do. They're just bad at... killing anything ever.

Honestly, even that isn't terribly impressive: she's too brittle to risk giving a thief an extra action so she can run off and throw Geo symbols, and no one person on the team is (or rather, should be) so strong that using them twice is flat better than having another useful person on the field to combo with. Of course, you could theoretically use a maid instead of a dedicated healer on top of using another person twice, but that would be limited to healing one person, which is increasingly less useful as the game goes on.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

Xenolith...Foreign Stone? Or maybe it's short for lithosphere, which would make his name mean something along the lines of "Foreign Earth". Sounds like a good name for somebody reshaping the form of the Netherworld, no?

It's part of the volcano theme naming the cast has going on. A xenolith is a rock that got stuck inside a different, bigger rock when said bigger rock was magma/lava and then cooled down and solidified. A foreign rock, in other words. Of course, it may well be foreshadowing as well.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Boksi posted:

It's part of the volcano theme naming the cast has going on. A xenolith is a rock that got stuck inside a different, bigger rock when said bigger rock was magma/lava and then cooled down and solidified. A foreign rock, in other words. Of course, it may well be foreshadowing as well.

Foreign? Rock? Axel?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Honestly, even that isn't terribly impressive: she's too brittle to risk giving a thief an extra action so she can run off and throw Geo symbols, and no one person on the team is (or rather, should be) so strong that using them twice is flat better than having another useful person on the field to combo with. Of course, you could theoretically use a maid instead of a dedicated healer on top of using another person twice, but that would be limited to healing one person, which is increasingly less useful as the game goes on.

Well, the team shouldn't be lopsided in terms of power, but different units may have different utilities -- purely hypothetically, if you have a caster and a warrior, and there's two archers on high pillars taking potshots at you, the caster's utility is better than the warrior's for both, since the warrior may not be able to reach with his attacks. Sub in a maid, and she lets the caster nuke both. Likewise, if you've got two squishy wizards with high elemental resistance not standing near each other, the warrior is better at handling both.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Maids also have great synergy with people whose Overloads are a transformation, since it gives them another whole action while mega mas macho.

Also as with all of the new character types their design kinda owns and that's almost enough justification to use one right on the face of it.

Also remember Afternoon Tea is a full action for the target so they get to move again as well which can let the target kill someone a second deployed character couldn't even reach.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Part of the problem with Maids is that all their best stuff you're not going to realistically see until the postgame, but once you do get there they're fantastically useful. At Rank 3, yeah, they don't have much going on but you can use their free item use to fairly reliably poison dudes with Rotten Garbage.

Also I looked some stuff up just now and it turns out the description for the Healing Shot item is a direct quote from the first God Eater game. :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If a maid refreshes a Tyrant Revelio'd Killia, does he get six turns of only 4?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Boksi posted:

Huh, that's interesting. TIL.

Feinne posted:

Maids also have great synergy with people whose Overloads are a transformation, since it gives them another whole action while mega mas macho.

Also as with all of the new character types their design kinda owns and that's almost enough justification to use one right on the face of it.

Also remember Afternoon Tea is a full action for the target so they get to move again as well which can let the target kill someone a second deployed character couldn't even reach.

Overloads aren't that impressive in the part of the game I'm at; I'm guessing they'll get more powerful soon, considering all the talk about not being at full power, but I'm sorta stuck in Item World hell until I have everything I want, like upgraded Dark Rosarys and DLC weapons. Tempting as it is to blow the Item world off and use store bought items, having all these drat characters compels me to keep them roughly on par in terms of skill.

It isn't all dull, though! I once forgot to turn down the enemy power level from the cheat shop, leading me to fight an Overlord and his minions at twice my level. There were so many Revenge modes going on that it started looking like an episode of Dragon Ball Z.

:suicide:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh, you will see exactly how super gross Overloads can be soon enough.

Update tomorrow, I'm traveling for work for a few days next week so I want to pace my content a bit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-One: Etna’s Letter

Well, we couldn’t get into Celestia last time, and we’re about to get diverted from looking more into that.

Video- “Chapter 6 Intro”

Watch

Those flowers are spreading throughout the Netherworld as we speak!
That’s strange. This has never happened before.
Maybe it has to do with all the other weird things that are happening in the Netherworld…

Let’s see the means by which that occurs.

Wait. Where do you think you’re going at a time like this!?
You really shouldn’t be so nosy about a girl’s personal business, Prince.
It’s my job as Overlord to oversee the actions of my vassals, so hurry up and tell me!
Jeez, fine… I’m going to Agul Eviland.
Agul Eviland? Why would you go there? All you’ll find is monsters.
Do you really want to be that nosy? Fine…
I got a letter telling me to go there.

A letter sending us somewhere apparently super dangerous. Great.

What!? No! You really are a love freak.
Who was it from?
It didn’t say.
Hmmm…that sounds fishy. What did the letter say?
“I want to show you something in Agul Eviland. Come alone.” Or something like that.
Alone? That reeks of danger…
It might be a trap set up by a demon that has a grudge against me.
And you’re still gonna go?
I could just ignore it, but I don’t want the sender to think I wussed out.
I’m surprised by how much you hate losing.

I mean “come alone” should just be taken as Netherworld “absolutely do not come alone”.

But it said to come alone, right?
Fool. What demon would obediently go by themself?
I guess you’re right… Do whatever you want.
But if it turns out to be boring, don’t blame me.
Fine. If I remember…
Hmhmhm, Laharl is just worried about Etna.
But I wonder who called her out…

We won’t be heading out to Agul Eviland immediately, though. There’s a little something to handle first, that we’ll see next time…

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Legendary Super Idol Appears?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Feinne posted:

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Legendary Super Idol Appears?

Here's where I thought we were going when Hogsmeiser appeared instead. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ardeem posted:

Here's where I thought we were going when Hogsmeiser appeared instead. :allears:

Asagi? Please be Asagi.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought the legendary super idol already appeared? She's in our party.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought the legendary super idol already appeared? She's in our party.

We've just got a regular idol, not a Super Idol. Obviously a Super Idol must be even better because of the whole word Super in the name.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno, I think in the Netherworld a love letter and a letter of challenge aren't really that different.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

My work week has been super busy but I'm going to try and update tonight. If I can't it'll have to wait until Friday.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Two: The Super Idol Appears?

Last time we finished up another chapter. We’ve got a bit of a different task this time, though, because after that chapter we can go to the Assembly to unlock a short bonus chapter.

These pop up as “detours” on the chapter select.

Let’s go to the first of the two maps, where we’ll perhaps see a familiar face to NIS fans.

Video- Idol Declarations

Watch

That came outta nowhere… I have no interest in having anything to do with super idols. Get lost.
Hey, Laharl! You shouldn’t talk like that to a super idol!
So she’s an idol, too…? Does she sing?
I dunno. I’ve never heard of her…
What!? I’m shocked! Maybe the reason I’m not famous is because I haven’t made my debut yet…
Wow! She calls herself a super idol, even though she hasn’t made her debut yet! She certainly is something!
So what business does a self-proclaimed super idol have with us?
I heard there were gonna be idol auditions. I’m looking for the place where they’re gonna be held, but I seem to have gotten lost.

If you were expecting this to be any more sane, well, I have no idea why.

Auditions? I have no idea what you’re talking about.
Maybe, she’s mistaking them for Lanzarote’s concert the other day…
I’m mistaken!? B-But I sent in my demo tape and everything, just for today!
What address did you send it to?
Wait, so there weren’t even any auditions!? This isn’t even about getting lost anymore…
Urrrggghhh…! I’ve already come this far… I won’t give up now!
And there she goes…! What are we gonna do?
Who cares? Just ignore her.
No! I can’t! We have to chase after her!
What a pain…

So Asagi has hosed off, leaving us to fight a really rather tricky map. There’s no Geo Effects, but there sure are some potentially rude enemies.

So we’re up against six bow-armed Thieves and some Masked Heroes. There are two types of the latter. The first moves very far but if we can land a hit on them (not as easy as it sounds because they’re high SPD fist users) they die in one hit, and the second gains evasion each turn based on how far they moved last turn. This makes them very annoying on the first turn they move in for anyone but bow/gun users given everyone else is unlikely to have enough HIT to reliably touch them. You start with three Thieves and the first flavor of Heroes near you, clear them out before more Heroes show up and you’ll be fine. If you find you have trouble here, the last map of the previous chapter is useful in replay for leveling up.

Let’s head to the second map.

Video- Super Debut Project

Watch

We’re back on the stage where we fought Lanzarote, though now there’s Asagi-themed stuff on the screen.

Hey! Over there!
Wait…no one’s here… Nothing’s happening here…
I was going to make my spectacular debut by hijacking the concert… All my plans are…
And, she hasn’t heard a word he said…
You, there! Get me an audience! We’re gonna hold a concert right here, right now! For Super Idol Asagi!
Why the hell should we!? If you want to hold a concert, do it on your own!
I can’t stand being alone anymore!

This is a really cool map premiering a neat geo-effect, Ally Lonely.

So we’ve got Asagi all alone on a No Lifting and Ally Lonely area, with No Entry panels preventing us walking in. Ally Lonely means that we’re only allowed to have one character in the area at a time, otherwise it acts as No Entry. So what we’re going to do is throw Laharl into the area and use our Armor Knight to soak up Asagi’s attacks while we fight her. She’s pretty rough.

So Asagi is a powerful Gun specialist, and she’s drat hard to hit as a result. Her Evility lets her attack extra times when taking part in a Combo, so fortunately it’s not really a problem when fighting her alone. If you don’t want to take advantage of Armor Knights to soak up hits, you could destroy the Ally Lonely symbol and gang up on her.

Uh, well you never really started to become a super idol in the first place…
Hmm, I guess we met here for a reason. Do you wanna form a band together? I’ll be the lead singer, of course.
Whaaat!? What are we gonna do!?
Hell no! I’m the Overlord!
Overlord!? That means you’re really, really important, right? This could be my big break!
If everything works out as planned, I can piggyback off him being the Overlord to become a super idol!
Not only that, but if I can defeat him when he’s not expecting it, I can even become the Overlord! This is amazing!
So anyway, Mr. Overlord…! I’ve decided to join your party!
Wh-What was that!? She said her thoughts out loud!
Even if we tell her no, she’s still gonna follow us around…
I don’t wanna deal with this… Do whatever you want…
System Message: The self-proclaimed super idol, Asagi, joined your party!
Way to go, Laharl! One more person accepts you as Overlord!
Is that so…?

Asagi starts with most of the gear she had, and not quite as high skills. Still, very useful.

Alright, that’s settled then. We’ll head to Agul Eviland next time.

Next Time on Disgaea D2: Home Again.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Someday you'll get your game Asagi. Someday. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I see that the tradition of walking onto a map, having a conversation, and then having enemies appear out of absolutely nowhere to have a fight is alive and well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ardeem posted:

Technically she has half of a game in the Prinny sequel.

I see that the tradition of walking onto a map, having a conversation, and then having enemies appear out of absolutely nowhere to have a fight is alive and well.

Yeah, those monsters on the first map were pretty random.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ardeem posted:

Nah, it's way cheaper to leave her as a running gag... forever.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm not even sure they could do Makai Wars now given it's been a running joke for so long.

Then again Asagi's at her coolest in Disgaea 5 and it'd be just super :3: for her to finally get her shot at the big time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nah, from now on she's Hardened Future Asagi with an eyepatch and a robot arm. The game was not worth it. She has seen too much poo poo.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

What roles, if any, would you say are essential to a well-rounded party?

Glazius posted:

Nah, from now on she's Hardened Future Asagi with an eyepatch and a robot arm. The game was not worth it. She has seen too much poo poo.

The tragedy of Asagi is that her quest is eternal -- she can't have a game of her own because her only trait, for more or less the whole of her lifespan as a character, has been a desire to have her own game. Take away that fundamental conflict by having her give up or win, and she's no longer substantial enough to theme a game around, so her quest is both unfulfillable and something she cannot abandon.

She's like... Anime Sisyphus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
DPS.

The ability to deal damage is about 95% of what matters in a Disgaea game. The other 5% is mobility.

FrantzX fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 22, 2016

• Locked thread