Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I imagine that Etna's feelings on this are rather complicated.

I don't get the point of the house lights dimming and the spotlights showing up if just anyone can speak up and get their own spotlight.

How can people trigger a support attack... for themself?

Oh so I can totally answer this question if it's the attack chain I'm thinking of after watching the fight again. Asagi shoots a dragon, then Laharl attack, then Laharl gets a cover attack. What happened is that Asagi triggered Laharl's cover attack, which then got added to the end of the combo. Laharl then attacked, and finally we get to the cover attack. If the dragon had survived it's likely Asagi would have gotten one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. All this talk of adoption makes me wonder if Laharl wasn't adopted too.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Glazius posted:

Huh. All this talk of adoption makes me wonder if Laharl wasn't adopted too.

One of my favorite things about Laharl is that he shares a voice actress with Rita Repulsa. Only vaguely related, but I'd love it if at some point Laharl shouted "Make my monster grow!" when someone magichanged to be his weapon.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ddegenha posted:

One of my favorite things about Laharl is that he shares a voice actress with Rita Repulsa. Only vaguely related, but I'd love it if at some point Laharl shouted "Make my monster grow!" when someone magichanged to be his weapon.

Yeah Barbara Goodson owns. It's a thing to be said for NISA, they get good voice actors and have good voice direction.

Update like Thursday or so, and I'm pretty sure we're about to get the chapter where we finally find out what the gently caress the deal with Sicily is maybe. Once you know you realize it always made perfect sense.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ddegenha posted:

Wait, actess? As in female? I mean, yeah, Laharl's always has this prepubescent squeakiness, but I never realized he was voiced by a she!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

Wait, actess? As in female? I mean, yeah, Laharl's always has this prepubescent squeakiness, but I never realized he was voiced by a she!
There was some discussion on this upthread, especially during Chapter 4. Folks were speculating that the change from Laharl to Laharl-chan basically required little effort on Barbara Goodson's part, mostly to stop growling, before Feinne pointed out that the latter actually has a distinct VA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if Barbara Goodson auditioned for this part because she finally got to defeat the Power Rangers in the first game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Barbara Goodson auditioned for this part because she finally got to defeat the Power Rangers in the first game.

Laharl got free and conquered Earth quite a few thousand years faster than Rita even made an attempt, too.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

There was some discussion on this upthread, especially during Chapter 4. Folks were speculating that the change from Laharl to Laharl-chan basically required little effort on Barbara Goodson's part, mostly to stop growling, before Feinne pointed out that the latter actually has a distinct VA.

Ironically Laharl, who is normally voiced by Barbara Goodson, had the same VA as Barbara, the Krichevskoy Group's Overlord candidate, when he got turned into a lady.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xenolith sounds like a kidnapper whose plan got foiled and came up with a sudden excuse on why this secret meeting place is important. Just keeping following him deeper into the forest, he won't do anything creepy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, I should ask: Do you know about Fairy Fencer F, and if so, would you LP it?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Six: The Truth About Angels

Last time Etna wasn’t particularly happy to hear she had an older brother who’d decided she was better off without him and told him to kindly gently caress off. This bothered Sicily, and continues to do so into the next chapter, taking us to now.

Video- Chapter 7 Intro

Watch

Flonne…?
Staying up all night is bad for you, you know.
Not that I have any right to say that…
Flonne…why do you think I’m an angel?
What…?
Sorry. There’s no way you would know that, huh?
All I know is that when I was really young, the Seraph told me that I’m the Overlord’s daughter.
Seraph Lamington?
Yes. And I never doubted his words.
Oh, I see.

The game makes sure we are familiar with Laharl’s rather unusual parentage just in case we weren’t aware from the previous game.

But he never told me why I was an angel.
He just said that he would tell me when I was older.
I see…
…I always thought that if I were a demon instead of an angel, we could’ve all lived together as one happy family…
I wouldn’t have been all alone in Celestia…
Sicily…
Sorry. I’m going to sleep now.
Good night, Flonne.

Good night, Sicily.

We are perhaps going to get some answers this chapter, given the title.

And it seems some poo poo is going down.

Yes! As soon as the gate to Celestia opened, angel soldiers began invading the Netherworld!
I won’t let you back out of your promise that you would fight off the angels if they invaded!
We made a blood oath! If you break that oath, you will receive divine punishment!
Oh…Just shut up already! Show some respect to your Overlord!
So is this true, Etna?
It’s true that there are a heck of a lot of angel soldiers around.
But we can’t just assume that it’s an invasion, can we?
But they’re armed! What else could they be here for?
I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this, Laharl.
Even if there is, we can’t just ignore this. We’re going to confront those angels!
Wait, I have a suggestion for you, Prince.
We can use that angel as a hostage when we fight them.
Hostage…? Me…!?
That should make them hesitant, right?
I see, what a brilliantly malicious plan. We have to do it!
W-Wait!

Laharl isn’t having a chickenshit suggestion like that.

What!?
She is my vassal. I will take her with me, but…
A true Overlord would never resort to using hostages! That is just…low-class!
I don’t need to rely on such cheap tactics. Angels are weak. If they want to fight, I’ll just crush them.
Big Brother…
You are quite confident… Well, okay then.
Good luck, “Mr. Overlord.”
Fools… Who do they think they are, trying to tell me what to do!?
Maybe all those flowers were a part of the invasion…
Etna! Why are you all trying to make the angels out to be the bad guys!?
It’s only natural to suspect them under these circumstances, don’tcha think? It would be weirder to assume the angels AREN’T involved.
We’ll just ask the angels.
Let’s go!

So of course since we’re hoping to just talk this out, bet on some comic misunderstandings that lead to us pointlessly fighting the angels until the Seraph shows up and tells his guys to cut it out.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Comic Misunderstandings. See, I told you!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Twenty-one updates since she showed up before she reveals who told her she was Krichevoy's daughter. Could have said that earlier.

There might be a war between Celestia and Netherworld... and LAHARL MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE TO START IT?! Wow!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
VULCANUS NEVER DIES HE REINCARNATES AGAIN TO WRECK HAVOC ON THOSE DIRTY DEMONS!

Even if it's just as a flower.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Please also read my essay in this quarter's Australian Journal of Geometry, "The Truth About Angles".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Vulcanus, I could've sworn I saw him in a reform class taught by Flonne at the end of Disgaea 1's credits.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I must be forgetting, but are you sure he wasn't a palette swap?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Twenty-one updates since she showed up before she reveals who told her she was Krichevoy's daughter. Could have said that earlier.

There might be a war between Celestia and Netherworld... and LAHARL MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE TO START IT?! Wow!

Did the group ever learn about the link between Krichevoy and the Seraph? I think Krichevoy and his wife passed on without bothering to tell anyone they were in cahoots with the leader of the angels the whole time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Laharl realizes that Mid-Boss is Krichevskoy in the True Ending of D1 and he also talks about how they set things up to link the Netherworld, Earth, and Celestia via friendly terms.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

thetruegentleman posted:

Did the group ever learn about the link between Krichevoy and the Seraph? I think Krichevoy and his wife passed on without bothering to tell anyone they were in cahoots with the leader of the angels the whole time.

That doesn't matter, what I'm saying is that apparently after all this time of Sicily claiming to be Laharl's sister, no one has bothered to even ask her "where did you learn that?" or "Why do you think that"?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's not totally a surprise when you consider that Flonne is inclined to believe her on principle, Etna to disbelieve her on principle, and Laharl is fine giving the benefit of the doubt as long as she's treating him like he's Overlord.

EDIT: I was totally wrong about what is the next update, there is in fact bonus map to be done next where we run into a cool guy.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 6, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

It's not totally a surprise when you consider that Flonne is inclined to believe her on principle, Etna to disbelieve her on principle, and Laharl is fine giving the benefit of the doubt as long as she's treating him like he's Overlord.

It's fun to think of it as, "Laharl and Flonne can both totally see Mid-boss Krichevoy shagging an angel, and only Etna actually knows better."

..come to think of it though, Etna is kind of inflexible for living in a universe with time travel and a bajillion dimensions; the chance of one of them having an alternate world sibling is probably pretty close to an absolute certainty.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

It's fun to think of it as, "Laharl and Flonne can both totally see Mid-boss Krichevoy shagging an angel, and only Etna actually knows better."

..come to think of it though, Etna is kind of inflexible for living in a universe with time travel and a bajillion dimensions; the chance of one of them having an alternate world sibling is probably pretty close to an absolute certainty.

The best part about the chain of events that leads to Sicily is that once you know what happened it's super obvious and you feel goofy for not getting it sooner.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

thetruegentleman posted:

Yeah I admit I was thinking this could be a straight-up Little Nicky situation.

And that maybe Lamington has been a woman all along.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

And that maybe Lamington has been a woman all along.

Maybe when we make it to Celestia we'll find that there's, uh, daemonic pumpkins growing everywhere, and girl!Lamington is wandering around earnestly trying to keep people calm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I figure she died while young, and became an angel the usual way.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

As a reminder/refresher on Laharl's family situation, his mother (a human witch) sacrificed her life to save his when he was very ill at some unspecified point in the past. She then returned as a Prinny and watched over him in secret until midway through the original Disgaea, where she went to the Red Moon. In the good ending (which is canon in everything but Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero?) you see her with Mid-Boss, who is of course actually King Krichevskoy, in Celestia before they both fade out of sight.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So Sicily was born after her mom and dad died?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MarsDragon posted:

Now that would be a trick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MarsDragon posted:

Death is merely a class change.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Death is merely a class change.

Yeah that's kind of half of Disgaea 4's plot frankly.

Probably update tomorrow with a SPECIAL SURPRISE GUEST FIGHT instead of advancement.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Yeah that's kind of half of Disgaea 4's plot frankly.
Fuka's story is maybe the only thing in Disgaea I wish they'd taken more seriously. There's something interesting there, but they ignored it and just kept making the same joke over and over.

Maybe they had to. The serious version might have been way too dark.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Fuka's story is maybe the only thing in Disgaea I wish they'd taken more seriously. There's something interesting there, but they ignored it and just kept making the same joke over and over.

Honestly you can kind of see what it would have been like in Disgaea 5 (which does take itself pretty seriously and is also pretty dark) and it would have been great.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In talking about the cutesy little girls in Disgaea 4, I somehow I forgot that the cutesy little girls in Disgaea 5 exist and are the best thing in the series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FractalSandwich posted:

Soul Nomad got dark and then there was the evil path. Being serious looks like a real detriment for NIS games.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Soul Nomad got dark and then there was the evil path. Being serious looks like a real detriment for NIS games.

I earnestly can't wait to get to Disgaea 5 because it's NIS returning to the sort of dark plot with occasional humor that we saw in things like Soul Nomad, Disgaea 2, and Phantom Brave.

Like it even has a dark subtitle like Disgaea 2, it's Alliance of Vengeance.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 7, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

I earnestly can't wait to get to Disgaea 5 because it's NIS returning to the sort of dark plot with occasional humor that we saw in things like Soul Nomad, Disgaea 2, and Phantom Brave.

Like it even has a dark subtitle like Disgaea 2, it's Alliance of Vengeance.

Just hearing that makes me want to get Disgaea 5 as I loved the 2nd one.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Seven: The Porker Protégé

When we start this chapter, we get another bill we can pass to do a bonus area.

This time it’s just one map, let’s head out.

Video- Stress Testing

Watch

Before we even start, note that this is the same map as one from Agul Eviland with a different Geo setup.

We’re reintroduced to a certain someone from original Disgaea.

Porkmeister? Porkmeister…?
Wow, Prince! He’s Hoggmeiser’s kid! But, he was so much cuter last time!
I remember! He protected his dad from you, Laharl! But, he was so much cuter last time!
I guess he used to be really cute and he has a history with Big Brother…
Big Brother!? You have a sister who’s an angel!?
It’ll take too long to explain! Just get on with it!
Prince Laharl, please make me your apprentice!
Apprentice!?
I wanna be the Overlord when I grow up! So, I wanna be the apprentice of the guy who’s claiming to be the Overlord right now!

This was not a popular statement.

You’re not like your dad, are you? Money’s not the only thing you talk about. I’m surprised, considering your parentage.
One cannot become a proper demon if all they care about is money. A demon needs to be strong!
You’ve stepped out of your father’s shadow! You’ve grown up properly!
So what are you gonna do, Big Brother? Are you gonna make him your apprentice?
He wants to be the Overlord, right? That makes him my enemy! Pluck them while they’re young!
What!? Is this my entrance exam to become your apprentice!? Thank you!
Seems like he misinterpreted us nicely.

This is a pretty tricky map. Let’s start by looking at the most important thing about Porkmeister.

So yeah, if Laharl is on the map Porkmeister is much stronger (technically there are other Overlords that trigger this as well but we don’t have them). Porkmeister is in principle otherwise just a stronger Noble Demon, and his attacks are all more powerful versions of their skills. The map itself is what’s really tricky.

So, Green has DEF+50%. At the start Blue is ATK+50% and Aqua is DEF-50% and Recover 20%. However, those three effects are actually provided by Geo Monsters who will move around randomly at the end of each of your turns. This means there’s no way to predict which color will be ‘safe’ on the enemy’s turn except that Green will always be so. The Armor Knights on this map have the same rude Evility ours does, so if they Defend expect to waste a lot of shots. Porkmeister will VERY LIKELY kill whoever he attacks if they’re not on the defense tiles. Also, pull Laharl back into the Base Panel if you can afford to do so in order to weaken him.

Video- Porkmeister

Watch

No, you have much potential. I shall make you my vassal instead!
R-Really, Prince Laharl!? Thank you!
What’s wrong, Prince? He was your enemy, right?
But, turning an enemy into a vassal is really cool and Overlord-like.
Porkmeister, now that you are my vassal, you must obey everything I say! In other words, don’t even think of undermining me!
Of course, Prince Laharl!
Don’t ever think about becoming Overlord again! You got that!?
Y-Yes! Understood!
…Huh? What the-!?
System Message: Porkmeister was tricked into becoming a vassal!
I see. Well played, Prince.
More like playing dirty, isn’t it?
The loser has to listen to the winner! There’s no problem there!
The demon world is harsh… I’ve got to step it up!
But you’re an angel, Sicily!

We get Porkmeister at approximately the strength he was in the map, he’s useful if you need a tank I guess.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Confronting the angels, for reals this time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The background objects sure look familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you have two Overlords on the map, does he get a 60% stat increase?

• Locked thread