Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am guessing Baal makes another appearance in this game, so can you flood the map with Overlords?
Nice to see the Angry Sun makes an appearance. I barely reached the levels needed to do those missions in D2 before my PS2 died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Playing Panel Roulette via Geo Monster to see if you die seems very, very Disgaea.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you have two Overlords on the map, does he get a 60% stat increase?

He does not. You can end up with a pretty large number of people who are Overlords between the normal postgame and DLC after all. Definitely Zetta, Priere, Alexander, and Pram at a mimimum.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

He does not. You can end up with a pretty large number of people who are Overlords between the normal postgame and DLC after all. Definitely Zetta, Priere, Alexander, and Pram at a mimimum.
Sometimes they do cock up the English evility descriptions like that, but this isn't one of those times. It's even a little clearer than the Japanese description, which sort of suggests they might only count if they have the word "Overlord" in their class title, which isn't true.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Sometimes they do cock up the English evility descriptions like that, but this isn't one of those times. It's even a little clearer than the Japanese description, which sort of suggests they might only count if they have the word "Overlord" in their class title, which isn't true.

I'm not clear on which edge cases are actually flagged as an Overlord, Mao and Valvatorez certainly should be and even if she isn't I feel like Rozalin should be as well since she is the God of All Overlords and all. I'd also personally flag Gig as such because he's the goddamn Slayer of Kings and Destroyer of Worlds, the Indestructible Gig.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Rozalin, Mao and Petta all count. Valvatorez is just a humble Prinny Instructor.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Rozalin, Mao and Petta all count. Valvatorez is just a humble Prinny Instructor.

Actually true, Valvatorez doesn't consider himself an Overlord even once he takes over Hades so it's not a surprise for him not to count. I didn't remember if Petta was actually an Overlord or not (I mean she's the daughter of two Overlords so it's hardly a surprise).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Priere didn't consider herself an Overlord and they made her one anyway. They hacked her title. How many NIS games have you LP?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Priere didn't consider herself an Overlord and they made her one anyway. They hacked her title. How many NIS games have you LP?

Three Disgaeas before this one, La Pucelle, Soul Nomad, Makai Kingdom, and the Witch and the Hundred Knight off the top of my head. And a bunch more that NISA localized. So like 7? Nine if you count Hyperdimension Neptunia and mk2 as NIS games since they were involved at some level in both.

Priere is a weird case because she's an Overlord by other people recognizing she's a shitkicker rather than purposefully seeking the title. But she totally has always had the Overlord title in her Disgaea appearances. And Disgaea 5 does finally give us some idea what we never got to see happen because we never got La Pucelle Ragnarok here in her DLC (that name and the fact that she's an Overlord alone hint it didn't end well for anyone).

EDIT: Seraph above fall next year will be a decade of LPs. I'm going to have to start philosophically planning something special to roughly coincide with that.

Oh and Fairy Fencer came up at some point, I totally have played that and while I didn't dislike it I'm equally not excited about doing some of the grindy poo poo you need to do if I were to LP it.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 8, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
La Pucelle is super French, and super Christian. Why does the rerelease suddenly go all Odin Sphere? Surely "La Pucelle Apocalypse" should be metal enough for anyone.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 8, 2016

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The Makai Kingdom rerelease also got skipped by NISA.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ardeem posted:

The Makai Kingdom rerelease also got skipped by NISA.

I didn't even KNOW there was one of those. Also a shame because Makai Kingdom desperately needed more time.

Update Wednesday probably, I'll definitely be otherwise engaged tomorrow.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Feinne posted:

I didn't even KNOW there was one of those. Also a shame because Makai Kingdom desperately needed more time.

Update Wednesday probably, I'll definitely be otherwise engaged tomorrow.

Wait, you've played D4, D5, and this game and you never wondered where Petta came from?

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 9, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ardeem posted:

Wait, you've played D4, D5, and this game and you never wondered where Petta came from?

In retrospect I did on first encounter with Petta wonder if I'd somehow missed something. I think it never bothered me much because Petta does philosophically make sense, one presumes she's Zetta and Salome the Traitor's kid. Like even if that's not the case or it's more complicated than that or w/e that it's easy to find a simple explanation for her kind of does defuse some of the mystery.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Eight: The Missing Angels

Now let’s get to the plot proper again.

Video- The Fool’s Ruins

Watch

We run into some angels pretty much right away.

Yeah. They definitely aren’t on vacation or anything.
Don’t let your guards down. Let’s get closer.
Hey, you angel soldiers! What do you want with my Netherworld!?
Demons? Perfect.
We’re looking for angels that went missing in the Netherworld.
Do you know anything about that?
Whew… Looks like they aren’t invading!
…Are you gonna ignore that whole missing angels part?
Huh? Do you know something?
Nope. Absolutely not.
Missing angels? Never heard of such a thing.
I would guess that they came here on vacation and were just attacked by monsters…
That is not the case.
When the gate to Celestia closed, we lost contact with th--!

This sharp tack finally notices something important.

Why, yes I am.
No, not you. The one in the back…
Y-Yes…
What are you doing? Every angel in the Netherworld was ordered to return. Head back right now.
What…!? But…
You don’t have a choice. These are direct orders from the Archangel.
The…new Archangel?
That’s right, now come over here. I’m responsible for making sure you return to Celestia.
No… I…don’t want to go back!
Stop right there. She is my vassal, you know.
…I don’t have time for games.
You don’t need to worry about Sicily. We will protect and take care of her, so she doesn’t need to go back…
There are no exceptions.
Besides, we can’t trust demons. Each and every demon is a kidnapping suspect right now…

So yeah looks like a comic misunderstanding is in fact happening.

I see, so that’s what you really think of us…
Now, get out of my way! If you don’t step aside, I will resort to force!
You don’t understand anything… But if you insist, I will fight you!
Bring it!

This map is really carefully set up to use Angels’ gimmicks against us. Let’s look at it really quickly.

So there are four angels down below that we can clean up almost immediately, they’re just a diversion. The real threat is the eight up above. The Male Angels there increase the Attack of adjacent allies and the Female Angels raise the Defense of adjacent allies. The Angels will move together to try and keep these bonuses intact. There are a couple of ways to handle this, depending on your power. If your levels are solid, you can probably take advantage of their grouping to just blow up multiples of them with AoE like Overlord’s Wrath and then finish the remnants up. If they’re not solid, you could consider using throwing to negate the benefits.

The next map has no plot.

Video- Evolving Scratches

Watch

So this map wants you to do something that you probably don’t need to.

So there are fifteen Angels on here. We start in a Yellow area, and there are three Symbols available (each behind a group of Angels). You in principle could clear up the Angels on your doorstep and then retrieve Symbols to help you hold the line against the rest of them. If you went and got Asagi, though, you probably don’t need to do this because her first special attack hits an x-shaped area and thus can very possibly sort out a third of the map in one action. I had Lanzarote come out and buff her HIT just to be sure, which made it easily smoke them. I then cleared out the other five nearby and was ready to pound the last five when they showed up. Even if I couldn’t have done that, I still probably would have just tried to slug it out given how much damage you can do on turn one to the ten that are nearish.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Probably more comic misunderstandings.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oof, Dead Hurdles isn't easy on the ears. You'd think that by now they'd have learned not to stagger voice clips in such quick succession, but apparently NI instead went with the Flame Hyenard route.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's amazing how angels can be more hot-blooded than demons at times. But, uh, hasn't Sicily just violated a Very Important Rule that Angel Shall Not Harm Angel?

... Ah ha hah what was that? "Dead Hurdles: A Jerry Bruckheimer special move"?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's amazing how angels can be more hot-blooded than demons at times. But, uh, hasn't Sicily just violated a Very Important Rule that Angel Shall Not Harm Angel?
Wasn't it something like that which got Flonne switched to becoming a Fallen Angel?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sicily clearly just stood back and cast healing spells the whole time. :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alavaria posted:

Wasn't it something like that which got Flonne switched to becoming a Fallen Angel?

This is in fact exactly what got Flonne in trouble.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Flonne was turned into a flower for her homicide.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Sicily honestly seems like she would have been better off as a Fallen Angel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So you shut the door and demand everybody come back? Make up your mind, new archangel!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A broken door is useful half the time you need it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Update maybe today, maybe tomorrow. Not sure how my time looks later.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, Feinne. Was just doing some research on the upcoming Demon Gaze 2, here's some things I've learned so far if you're interested.

- No more player-made party members, seems like all the party members are plot-relevant with set personalities.

- I hate it when Japan does this but (sigh)... Most of the party members are female with the exception of the protagonist and possibly one or two others.

- It seems like Demon summoning works very differently. Basically, the protag (who I'll call Leon for now) can use their Gazer powers to power-up other party members, transforming them.

- Not sure if these are boss or Demon names, but I do have two of them: Satan the DawnAbsolute (yes, it's written like that) and Dragon the StarTraitor.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

- I hate it when Japan does this but (sigh)... Most of the party members are female with the exception of the protagonist and possibly one or two others.
It's true, the nation of Japan does do that sometimes. You should consider writing a strongly-worded letter to her embassy in your country, and if you know anyone who lives there, ask them to write to their MP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am shocked that someone does not like harem groupings.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

Hey, Feinne. Was just doing some research on the upcoming Demon Gaze 2, here's some things I've learned so far if you're interested.

- No more player-made party members, seems like all the party members are plot-relevant with set personalities.

- It seems like Demon summoning works very differently. Basically, the protag (who I'll call Leon for now) can use their Gazer powers to power-up other party members, transforming them.

- Not sure if these are boss or Demon names, but I do have two of them: Satan the DawnAbsolute (yes, it's written like that) and Dragon the StarTraitor.

Demon Gaze was already sort of halfway to having set characters, your created party members actually do come up in story scenes sometimes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am shocked that someone does not like harem groupings.

It's fanservicey and mysoginistic! And I don't get the appeal, like, what's so great about T&A? (No, I'm not gay.)

Edit: Yeah, you're right Feinne, but this time they're actually plot important. They'll get character development etc.
Here's a trailer.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 14, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you had to be gay to feel that way, SA would be gayer than Sydney on Mardi Gras.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Demon gaze

More like

Male gaze

Ahururuurrur

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Nine: More Comic Misunderstandings

I promised more and damned if there aren’t some.

Video – Overflowing Mirror

Watch

You all were noting that it’s not so good that Sicily’s been helping us and she’s about to bring that up too.

What’s going to happen to me…?
Oh yeah, when an angel hurts another angel, it’s a pretty serious crime.
We all know what happened to Flonne. Looks like you’re going straight to Fallen Angel status. Good riddance.
Laharl! Why do you always have to fight!?
They weren’t trying to invade us, you know!
Would you have preferred if we just let them take her away?
…No! But…!
Flonne, thanks… I was the one who was being stubborn…
I’ll pay for my sins.
Ummm, Prince, sorry to interrupt this heartwarming conversation, but…
What is it?
We’re surrounded by angel soldiers…

Whoops.

So you must be the angel kidnappers!
What!? Kidnappers!? Us!?
N-No! I wasn’t kidnapped! Please listen to me!
Hmmm…looks like the demons are mind controlling her.
I guess we’ll just have to take her back with us by force.
* sigh * They just don’t listen, do they?
Hmph! I won’t just let them push me around.
After I nearly beat them to death, I’ll convince them that we aren’t kidnappers!
You should try to convince them before beating them up!

So this is a pretty cool map.

Each wedge has a gimmick enforced by a Geo Effect that we either have to deal with or find a way to clear. Blue is HP/SP Switch, which exactly as you’d expect causes HP to act as SP and vice versa. In practice this makes anyone on the tiles SUPER fragile. Purple is No Melee, so you can’t target anyone adjacent to you with anything. Red is No Ranged, which is the opposite. Aqua is the ever-popular Reverse Damage, which makes healing damage and damage heal. My suggested engagement strategy is to take out the No Melee section first while using it as a staging ground to engage the Reverse Damage and HP/SP Switch wedges without actually entering those areas (you’ll get wrecked immediately if you do). Then you can slug it out with the No Ranged area while peppering them with ranged attacks from the Reverse Damage area.

A super simple map with no story is next.

Video – Fallen Angel Requiem

Watch

This map is groups of angels on islands that require throwing to access. You’ll have to slowly let your weaker characters stay behind to throw as you go through this map. Armor Knight Protecting can really help with soak damage as you progress. Still, really simple and straightforward.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The New Archangel?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Demon gaze

More like

Male gaze

Ahururuurrur
The original Demon Gaze was just as bad! Literally only 4 demons didn't have fanservicey designs in Rage form (Hermes and Astro, who are male and have manservice with their 6-packs, Comet, who's a loli, and Uranus, who falls flat (ba-dum-tish)).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

The original Demon Gaze was just as bad! Literally only 4 demons didn't have fanservicey designs in Rage form (Hermes and Astro, who are male and have manservice with their 6-packs, Comet, who's a loli, and Uranus, who falls flat (ba-dum-tish)).

I'll be fair and note that the two postgame demons do take things to 6/12.

Maybe I'll talk about the Angel classes tomorrow? They're pretty interesting and we'll start having access to them pretty soon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

I'll be fair and note that the two postgame demons do take things to 6/12.

Maybe I'll talk about the Angel classes tomorrow? They're pretty interesting and we'll start having access to them pretty soon.

Fair point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That AI still looks the same as ever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So does your average Celestian still just hate and fear the Netherworld?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Just because the leader of celestia thinks netherworldians are alright people doesent mean your avreage citizens opinion has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Iretep posted:

Just because the leader of celestia thinks netherworldians are alright people doesent mean your avreage citizens opinion has changed.

Yeah pretty much. Angels are still dicks.

I've got the end of the chapter cut, I'll have the update either later today or tomorrow.

• Locked thread