Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Elric posted:

Seriously, the people on that planet deserve a Demon Path protagonist.

Is this about Phantom Brave? Because I wanted to start throwing everyone into the ocean after the second chapter. That game really needed a Demon Path.

Ardeem posted:

And I've been playing the demo of Phantom Brave PC, and I could have sworn there was a button combo that would let you move characters with an attack out that was really useful for stages with slippery surfaces.

I don't remember trying on the PC. On the PS2 this was holding down Square and moving around. So on an XBox controller hold down X? I don't know what it would be on a keyboard.

Feinne posted:

And now for a very special preview.

Huh? What happened to Etna?
After receiving the power of everyone’s pure heart, Fallen Angel Flonne finally awakens!
Pure?

Lovely?

Laharl, is something wrong?
…You’re really leaning in.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: No, Really.

So the next chapter is a Flonne chapter? That should be fun.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kevos Setzer posted:

So the next chapter is a Flonne chapter? That should be fun.

I'm guessing (from her notable absence from the preview) that Etna has taken off to look for Xenolith. Alone. Possibly Flonne gets her angel certification back again... which makes her another prime target for whatever is happening to the missing angels.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 1, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a reason why Flonne did RPS with Laharl in the preview while talking about something different?
I really like the urgency of dealing with a Game Over and a tanky boss. I can almost see that angry sun.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a reason why Flonne did RPS with Laharl in the preview while talking about something different?
I really like the urgency of dealing with a Game Over and a tanky boss. I can almost see that angry sun.

Well she beat Laharl, that's what matters!

Update tomorrow probably.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirty-Five: Pure

Now for Chapter 9, which is amazing.

Video- Chapter 9 Intro

Watch

They even agreed to help look for the “dreaded angels” like it was nothing.
Haaahahahaha! Of course they did! After all, they swore allegiance to me!
Who would swear allegiance to you, Prince? They must be crazy…hahaha!
…Hey, shut up. You’re my vassal too, remember?
Anyway, I guess they haven’t found the missing angels yet.
Rainier is good at finding treasure, but I’m pretty sure this is the first time she’s ever looked for angels.
Not to mention, she hasn’t found all the treasure in the Netherworld, so we shouldn’t get our hopes up too high for her.
I see. I guess she’s not as reliable as I thought.
Well, some Netherworld treasures can be dangerous, so I guess we can’t really fault her for that.
…I’m gonna go, too.
I’m the one who told the Seraph I’d look for the angels, so I can’t keep relying on others.

Just then Flonne shows up.

Flonne?
Now that I’m back, everything is going to be a-okay! All of our problems are practically solved!
D-Did you find the angels!?
Huh? Not yet.
Then why do you sound so cocky?
A picture’s worth a thousand words! Feast your eyes on this!

Every aspect of this is amazing.

It’s Pure Flonne the Awakened Angel!

Huh?

That was in fact a true preview.

You’re Pure Pink! That’s super cool! You look so good in that!
Thank you! So you watch the Pure Seven Morphing Angels, too!?
Stop playing around! I don’t care who you dress up as!
Well you should! I have been given the power to awaken as an Archangel! This is the costume I chose!
What!? An Archangel!? But why!?
Well, since we haven’t been able to find any angels, I went to Celestia to discuss the situation.
You did what!?
Then the Seraph granted me the power to become an Archangel! Yay! …But only while we’re searching for the angels!
Is that really okay…?
So now that you have the power of an Archangel, will you be able to find the lost angels?

Her wings are also pink now if you didn’t notice.

If an Archangel has that kind of power, why weren’t those angel search parties able to find them?
Fear not! You can trust me! And the power of Pure Flonne the Awakened Angel!
Now that that’s out of the way… Let’s go, everyone!

Let’s look at Flonne now real quick.

While she’s Pure Flonne, she gets a powerful new skill called Extreme Love and a new Evility. Instead of getting stronger every time she tops off someone else’s health, she gains stats from being healed herself. Which is super anime as I think about it, the comeback from near defeat.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Perhaps another side area.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I... uh... :psyboom:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, that sure is something.

Cue Etna having a scene halfway through this chapter where she gets pissed that her special appearance in this game is just a palette swap.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
And she deliberately chose that, huh. At least she didn't try to change back to blue.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does she get taller when she transforms?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Feinne posted:

It’s Pure Flonne the Awakened Angel!

I should not have been eating chocolate while reading this. That was almost a messy spit take.

quote:

That was in fact a true preview.

How often does that happen in Disgaea? I can't remember any.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, that sure is something.

Cue Etna having a scene halfway through this chapter where she gets pissed that her special appearance in this game is just a palette swap.

I halfway expect Etna to be close to hitting a bottle halfway through this chapter. She now has to deal with an Overclocked Love Freak.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now she is a Saiyan. Also has a move that is going to get super expensive for her level.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is... is that unlockable after the fact?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can vote for Laharlie in the Dark Assembly, right? Does that change the cutscenes?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can vote for Laharlie in the Dark Assembly, right? Does that change the cutscenes?

It does not.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is... is that unlockable after the fact?

Yes in the postgame she can be Pure Flonne instead of regular Flonne.

Update sometime in the next few days, I still need to record and also decide if I'm going to do Prinny Land next.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Kevos Setzer posted:

It happened in the first one at least- one preview was for Captain Gordon and the Netherworld invasion.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A while ago I was looking at some of the WS Disgaea Cards on tcgplayer, and got Awakened Flonne spoiled. Given all the hints dropped about D5's plot in this thread I assumed I got a giant spoiler. This is absolutely not where I was expecting that character to show up.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Chuu posted:

A while ago I was looking at some of the WS Disgaea Cards on tcgplayer, and got Awakened Flonne spoiled. Given all the hints dropped about D5's plot in this thread I assumed I got a giant spoiler. This is absolutely not where I was expecting that character to show up.
We're not dropping hints, we're just talking about it. There's barely anything in Disgaea 5 to even spoil. If you go into it expecting a bunch of crazy twists, you'll be disappointed.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

We're not dropping hints, we're just talking about it. There's barely anything in Disgaea 5 to even spoil. If you go into it expecting a bunch of crazy twists, you'll be disappointed.

There's a couple of things that would suck to spoil but yeah it's got a much more paced and sensible plot than normal which also leads to less absolutely cray poo poo you could ruin.

The thing to remember about Disgaea 5 for those who haven't played it is that it's much more like Soul Nomad or Phantom Brave where yes it's still funny but it's actual comic relief from how serious the plot gets at times.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Even more than those games, they really do play it straight down the middle. I guarantee you've heard its exact story before, beat for beat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sum Gai posted:

It happened in the first one at least- one preview was for Captain Gordon and the Netherworld invasion.

I remember being shocked that one of the previews was real when the next chapter started.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Got the main game section of Prinny Land recorded last night, probably have an update tomorrow?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirty-Six: Prinny Land

We unlocked a new side area last time, I put it off a bit because I wanted to make sure it was completable.

Prinny Land is a bit different than the side content we’ve had before, because it’s not about getting a new character. It’s actually setup for a postgame area (though there’s a second benefit I’ll discuss at the end).

Video- Prinny Land 1

Watch

We get some brief story.

If this is Prinny Land, there’s gotta be a lot of them here, right?
The Prinnies have been acting weird lately.
Weird…? What do you mean?
We’re kinda surrounded! And, they’re really giving us a good stare down!
This is pretty creepy! They really are acting weird! What happened to them!?
I don’t know… We’d need to investigate to find out.
…Weird? More like annoying! They’re mad-dogging me! The Overlord! They’ve got a lot of guts!
Let’s interrogate them!
Investigate, Big Brother!

First map’s pretty straightforward.

So the Prinnies are supported by No Lifting and Enemy Boost. These symbols in turn are both on top of high Prinny tents, which are really hard to jump onto. They’re best reached with magic. Get a caster and throw them far enough to reach a symbol and the map’s basically done, since you can just throw all the Prinnies (they’ll tend to approach in groups even).

Now the second map, a bit more complicated.

Video- Prinny Land 2

Watch

We start surrounded by Prinnies, exploding barrels that work just like Prinnies, and Red Bye-Bye panels that cause anyone who ends the turn on them to explode like a Prinny. So yeah any explosions in this area are going to be rather unpleasant unless properly controlled. That’s what we’re going to do, we’re going to use the barrels to carefully detonate areas of the start, then advance to the rest of the map and clear out the remaining Prinnies.

Final map is very tricky indeed.

Video- Prinny Land 3

Watch

Alright so you see this area we’re in with all the Prinnies and Geo Panels? That’s gently caress City. We don’t want to be in gently caress City. The Aqua trail is Silence, the Red is all No Entry, and the Green and Yellow are Mighty Enemy panels that make the Prinnies there invulnerable. The Yellow Prinnies are also No Lifting and Silence. The Symbols are all at the end of the map, along with a few Prinnies up on a tent. So we need to advance to the end of the Silence area, because if we do the Green panels become Bye-Bye Panels and blow everything still in gently caress City straight to hell. We need to make sure that our vanguard who actually reached the end are casters, though, because the Prinnies on the tent WILL NEVER COME DOWN. NEVER. I actually had to reset this once because I forgot that.

Some more plot for finishing.

If they keep starting at us with those blank eyes, it’s gonna make me sad…
Don’t they always look like that?
Urgh! Dammit! I’m tired of dealing with Prinnies! I’m going home!
No, Big Brother! We haven’t solved anything yet!
If we go home now, we won’t have made any progress on our investigation. Are you okay with that, Prince?
This is just Part 1!
Huh?
This was the Prinny Mad-dogging Incident, Part 1! Also to be known as Part 1: The Investigation!
Just wait till Part 2: Solving the Case! I’ll get to that whenever I feel like it!
Hearing that, I guess we’ll just have to wait for Part 2…
What!? Really?
Looking into their eyes is really depressing… Let’s just call it a day before they drive us crazy!
What!? Really!? Are you sure?
…Oh, well, it’s not like I care.

We also get a Cheat Shop benefit for this, Prinny Day Every Day. This let’s us just set things to Prinny Day (which only lets us deploy Prinnies but gives us bonuses for doing so) whenever we want.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Searching

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Feinne posted:

This was the Prinny Mad-dogging Incident, Part 1! Also to be known as Part 1: The Investigation!
Just wait till Part 2: Solving the Case! I’ll get to that whenever I feel like it!
A life philosophy I can get behind.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are Prinnies still garbage for gaining levels off of?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are Prinnies still garbage for gaining levels off of?

For two reasons, they have a relatively poor XP modifier (which also makes them easier to level of course) and you don't get poo poo for them if you throw them, which is so deeply tempting every time.

Update Sunday or Monday most likely, no content backlog to support me.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Kevos Setzer posted:

Usually around twice a game; once to catch you off guard, and most if not all of the games have a serious preview for the final episode.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Haha, drat. Prinnies finally found a decent place to live where no one could pick them up and everyone would die like them. That's pretty great.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It existed in the first game and it sucked. Maps that actively hated you and you can't reliably get levels off them. Their leader was a pile of levels as well.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah Prinny gimmick maps are kind of weird because they're generally easy but they're also poo poo for leveling. The second half of Prinny Land has some really interesting ones, though.

I've got the next update recorded and videos cut but I probably won't have time to write until tomorrow, we're about to head out and won't be back for quite some time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirty-Seven: The Search

So this is a cool chapter, because we actually are searching around the Netherworld and end up in different map areas.

Video- Ice Beast’s Scream

Watch

You’re quite confident… In fact, you’re so confident, it’s making me nervous…
In an unstable Netherworld, where Yuie flowers are blooming everywhere, you can sense traces of angel power? You’re an awesome Archangel!
Of course! I think I feel the faintest trace of angel power coming from…this direction! Maybe!
…Great.
Our prospects of finding those angels are looking worse and worse…
It’s okay! I’ll find them with the power of love!
That has nothing to do with angel power!
Oh! Over there!

To be fair to Flonne the power of love does in fact seem relevant to angel power but it also doesn’t help in this specific case.

They look angry…
Maybe they still think that Celestia is trying to take over the Netherworld…
It’s okay! Pure Flonne’s angel skill, Love Negotiation, should be able to persuade them!
Let’s just beat them and get on with this.
I heard that!
Nooo! Please let me do my skill!

This map can feel a bit rude.

We start faced with a bunch of Armor Knights who always Defend if not attacked from behind thanks to their Evility. A Blue No Entry barrier blocks off those Golems, who are on Movement +1 panels. When the last Armor Knight dies (or possibly enough time passes) the No Entry moves and the Golems charge in. I think they’re actually scripted not to attack on this turn or something though because in spite of being all over me they didn’t actually do much and all died tragic deaths owing to being much more fragile than the Knights. Not really sure how that works.

Video- Empty Blooms

Watch

This is a pretty cool map.

So we start flanked by Ninjas on both sides, along with a pair of Healers and a Noble Demon on one. The other has five Warp panels, which lead to an island where ten Warriors with bows wait. But they won’t wait for LONG, because on the first enemy turn half of them move onto the Warp panels and travel over. The other five will do the same on the next enemy turn. So priority one is to secure the Warp area so you can go bananas on the Warriors as they enter. Otherwise they’ll overwhelm you with their powerful bow attacks.

Next Time on Disgaea D2: Continuing the Search.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ZCKaiser posted:

Usually around twice a game; once to catch you off guard, and most if not all of the games have a serious preview for the final episode.
Phantom Brave just plays the "Life's Gonna Suck When You Grow Up" song between chapters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Enemies should play by Item World rules and just attack when they are able. I hope someone comes up with mods to make enemies more aggressive when they swarm you.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Enemies should play by Item World rules and just attack when they are able. I hope someone comes up with mods to make enemies more aggressive when they swarm you.

I think those golems are specifically scripted to be dozy for a turn, that or they had a specific target they wanted that they couldn't reach and didn't think any of the targets they DID have were fruitful. It's hard to say why the AI does things sometimes.

Update later in the week, still need to record.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What if the angels are turning into monsters?

Or maybe Flonne's been a fallen angel too long and monster is life, netherworld is hometown?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The flowers are reverse pods that eat people in order to multiply.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Next update we'll start to think this through a bit and perhaps come to some useful conclusions. Might be later today, might be tomorrow, I've got videos cutting right now.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirty-Eight: The Search Continues

We’re looking for the angels still, and have some cool maps coming up.

Video- Squirming Fear

Watch

Let’s go, everyone!
Agul Eviland would be the perfect place to hide the angels…
Anyway, this place is covered in Yuie flowers. Like that Xenolith guy said, they’re spreading all over the Netherworld.

Hide the angels…? Do you think they were kidnapped, too?
It’s hard to believe that all those angels, who came here for different reasons, are actually conspiring to do something.
Then wouldn’t that mean that some demon is conspiring to do something…?
Oh, hey, look! This is an angel feather!
We finally found a clue… Does that mean they’re near here?
I’ll find them using the Pure Flonne angel skill, Love Detection!
Here I go! Flonne Loooooooooove Dic…tion!!!
Did you mess it up?
D-Don’t worry about that! What I say out loud doesn’t really matter!
Then don’t yell every time you do something!

Sicily and Etna do an aside here.

Is it? I don’t remember…
When Xenolith told us his story about how he let his sister go, I couldn’t accept it.
Wasn’t there any other way to save his sister?
Did they really have to be separated?
It’s really none of my business, but I still thought that anyway.
Maybe his sister was getting in his way…
I don’t think so.
Why’s that?
If that were the case, he wouldn’t have tried to show her around here and tell her about the past.
I think there were other reasons he felt he had to let his sister go.
Oh, right. I bet it’s one of those touching stories that angels love.
Either way, whatever happened to him in the past, it really doesn’t matter to me…
Whoa! Here come more monsters!
I think your yelling from earlier caught their attention!
But you can’t do a skill like that without calling out its name!
Whatever! Here they come!

A bit of a complicated map, though not terribly hard.

So the Aqua area is No Ranged. Everything else is some kind of No Entry, and will cause small waves of Nekomata to be revealed. Eventually we’ll also have to deal with the Dragons outside the area. The Nekomata are actually not terribly aggressive so we can handle them as they’re revealed for the most part. That Aqua symbol in the middle is the key, when we kill it all the panels Clear and everything goes full aggressive. The Dragons that come out are vulnerable to Ice, pound them down and it’ll be done.

Story time again on the next map.

Video- Wandering Death

Watch

How many freaking places do we need to go to!? I’ve had it up to here with your games!

At this point Flonne collapses.

I…need…more love… More love power!
Is that your excuse for not finding the angels?
Exactly…! So please, everyone… Share your love power with me!
Okay! Here’s my love power! Big Brother, you too!
Stop it! Demons don’t have any such power!
What is love power anyway? Sounds like something you just made up…
Love power…is…the power of love…
That couldn’t have been any more straightforward…
Demons have love, too. You know how you accept Sicily as your sister, Laharl? Well, that’s love!
Or how you saved Grosso and his group, and how you’re trying to save the Netherworld. Those are all love, too!
Riiight.
Fine, whatever! Do whatever you want!
You understand what I’m saying!? Now let’s all hold hands! For love power!
Fine…

Now we do the power circle.

Stop yelling!
She’s shining!?
Our love power is combining!
I think that’s just your opinion…
Charge complete! Now I can find those angels!
Since you made me do something really embarrassing, you better find them this time!
But before that…
Thanks to your shining, a bunch of monsters found us…
Well…what are we going to do?
I guess we have to fight them…

This map is really rough if you aren’t aggressive.

So this map is really strange. One color will always add a bunch of Ice, Wind and Defensive strength to whatever’s on it. You’d think the Super Encroach would quickly eliminate one color, but no. The Super Encroach symbol will actually move each turn and cause the colors to shift around, effectively alternating where the effects are and how much of the map is covered by them. This map’s enemy composition is the really tricky part though. There are two Sea Angels that buff the enemies by 5% each, three Sea Dragons that debuff our Ice resistance, three regular Dragons that debuff our Wind resistance, and then four Magic Knights that do double damage if they’re exploiting a weakness. So yeah, the map’s trying to depress our resistances enough that the Magic Knights can blow us up, and even worse they’ll Mount one of the dragons on their first turn which makes them infinitely more durable. You want to rush in and kill the nearest Magic Knight and Sea Dragon on your first turn if at all possible, it’ll make things much less of a bloodbath. Fire is best on the Sea Dragons and Ice on the regular ones. Watch out for trying to damage them on the defense increasing tiles though, they can be very resilient.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Return of the Evilest Warrior

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Flonne being a dork never gets old

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If this chapter ends with the revelation that Flonne could never actually detect angels at all and just wanted to feel important, I will be very cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkgYhtz64U&t=135s

edit: if the game doesn't play this it's irredeemable sorry

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 16, 2016

• Locked thread