Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'd be kinda funny if you started future maps with a statue on them and it was like your own customizable geo symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

habituallyred posted:

Too bad about Captain Gordon and his very classic SF sidekicks going back home. I loved how you could trace their looks to specific SF magazine covers.

Did they really get a future PHD to do the mechanics for the Phantom Brave guide?

Doesn't surprise me one bit, there are some really obtuse mechanics in it. Let me actually describe failure fusion and how it works for those that aren't familiar with Phantom Brave.

So, Phantom Brave has Titles, which every character and item has. These apply stat changes, and the 'worst' of these is "Failure". Failure reduces the stats of a character or item by 95%. Keep that piece of information in mind. In Phantom Brave you can fuse an item into another to make it stronger. How much stronger depends on how much weaker the first item is than the second. So, what you do is take the item you want to make stronger and apply a Failure title to it, tanking its stats into the ground. You then fuse powerful items into it (I will handwave where these powerful items come from, because that's a whole other can of worms that also involves Failure titles) and as long as the original item isn't 20 times more powerful than them you're going to exceed them in stats. So you gain a bunch of stats, and then once you're done you go back to a proper title. Except remember, you've gained an unusually large amount of stats as it is by tanking the item's stats, and then you're multiplying that gain by 20 (or more) because that gain applied to the stats when they were at -95% and you're going to titles with 100+% in each stat. Properly applying this technique is pretty vital to playing Phantom Brave well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

habituallyred posted:

Did they really get a future PHD to do the mechanics for the Phantom Brave guide?

Yes. His name's Kale Harbick. Last I heard, he was teaching physics somewhere.

He was responsible for the chapter in the PB guide on how to beat the game in a little over four hours.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 19, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am surprised people are still making guides in this information age.
I take it that treasure items are no longer the crutch needed to get through the terrible early game? No Imperial Seal for Laharl?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is there a Disgaea or a Disgaea-like game one can play in public without being horribly embarrassed? I really like the series, but Etna's outfit really disgusts me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh hey, a Feinne LP, and it's on Disgaea, I'll tune in for this.

As for your query re Geoblocks;

Chuck the green geoblock two tiles to the northeast, and the null tile one tile northeast of where you chucked the green tile. Then destroy the red one :shrug:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am surprised people are still making guides in this information age.
I take it that treasure items are no longer the crutch needed to get through the terrible early game? No Imperial Seal for Laharl?

Yeah Laharl doesn't start with one, though you do get one from the hospital early.

thechosenone posted:

Is there a Disgaea or a Disgaea-like game one can play in public without being horribly embarrassed? I really like the series, but Etna's outfit really disgusts me.

Etna's probably the worst offender as far as main characters go in the series on that front. There's a villain in Disgaea 5 who's no wearing a lot but it's not for the same reason.

Some trivia on her outfit, it's almost identical to the one worn by the Succubus demons in-game (I'm pretty sure it straight up was identical in the first game). It's not totally obvious because it's, um, stretched a bit more. Etna's in between Laharl and Flonne in age (Laharl's the youngest and Flonne's actually the oldest), and they're best taken as rear end in a top hat teenagers because in demon terms that's what they are.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

tithin posted:

As for your query re Geoblocks;

Chuck the green geoblock two tiles to the northeast, and the null tile one tile northeast of where you chucked the green tile. Then destroy the red one :shrug:

That wouldn't work, because you would still have that area of blue that's in the northwest. What you should do is throw the red symbol onto the blue tiles, the green symbol onto the red tiles, and the null symbol onto the green tiles, then destroy them in the order of red -> green -> null. It won't get you a massive chain, but it will make sure that every tile is gone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ZeButler posted:

That wouldn't work, because you would still have that area of blue that's in the northwest. What you should do is throw the red symbol onto the blue tiles, the green symbol onto the red tiles, and the null symbol onto the green tiles, then destroy them in the order of red -> green -> null. It won't get you a massive chain, but it will make sure that every tile is gone.

That won't set off the green symbol. You need red and green on blue, clear on red, and then hit the red symbol. So all blue tiles go to red; this hits the green symbol, causing all red (+blue) tiles to go to green; this hits the clear symbol, causing all green (+red+blue) tiles to go clear.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That won't set off the green symbol. You need red and green on blue, clear on red, and then hit the red symbol. So all blue tiles go to red; this hits the green symbol, causing all red (+blue) tiles to go to green; this hits the clear symbol, causing all green (+red+blue) tiles to go clear.

That's if you want to chain it, which I honestly didn't think of. The way I said to do it still works, it just won't make as big of a chain (you have to personally destroy both red and green instead of letting red do all the work for you).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's actually a bit easier than that, Geo Panels don't start clearing until all your actions are done in an Execute in DD2 so you can just throw the To Green symbol onto the blue, queue up an attack against it and then queue up an attack against the To Red symbol and boom it's done. You could also throw the To Green onto the Blue then throw the To Red onto it, which would turn Blue->Green, which would kill the To Red symbol during the conversion which in turn would kill the To Clear symbol (I think, I honestly don't recall if you can kill Symbols by throwing them onto other Symbols again in DD2 because it goes back and forth).

Oh and if you like the best characters of Disgaea 4, Fuka and Desco, well that's good because we'll be getting them at the start of Chapter 3 since I'll finally have the 300 Mana to propose the bill to call them. Desco even has a skill called Death Co. in this one :3:

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

So, Phantom Brave has Titles, which every character and item has. These apply stat changes, and the 'worst' of these is "Failure". Failure reduces the stats of a character or item by 95%. Keep that piece of information in mind. In Phantom Brave you can fuse an item into another to make it stronger. How much stronger depends on how much weaker the first item is than the second. So, what you do is take the item you want to make stronger and apply a Failure title to it, tanking its stats into the ground. You then fuse powerful items into it (I will handwave where these powerful items come from, because that's a whole other can of worms that also involves Failure titles) and as long as the original item isn't 20 times more powerful than them you're going to exceed them in stats. So you gain a bunch of stats, and then once you're done you go back to a proper title. Except remember, you've gained an unusually large amount of stats as it is by tanking the item's stats, and then you're multiplying that gain by 20 (or more) because that gain applied to the stats when they were at -95% and you're going to titles with 100+% in each stat. Properly applying this technique is pretty vital to playing Phantom Brave well.

I was considering getting it for the PC, but now I'm really not sure; If I do, I'll probably just do the math myself and then cheat the stats in to save time/sanity. I really, really wish they'd give an ounce of consideration to the people who can't play games all day.

thechosenone posted:

I like to think that the Demons have a religion centered around the hatred of shirts: originally though, Etna's method of dress was a hint that she wasn't nearly as mature as she pretended to be, which came back to actually haunt her in the second game. Her "style" has become kind of pointless since then, except as a lazy recurring gag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feinne posted:

Yeah Laharl doesn't start with one, though you do get one from the hospital early.

Etna's probably the worst offender as far as main characters go in the series on that front. There's a villain in Disgaea 5 who's no wearing a lot but it's not for the same reason.

Some trivia on her outfit, it's almost identical to the one worn by the Succubus demons in-game (I'm pretty sure it straight up was identical in the first game). It's not totally obvious because it's, um, stretched a bit more. Etna's in between Laharl and Flonne in age (Laharl's the youngest and Flonne's actually the oldest), and they're best taken as rear end in a top hat teenagers because in demon terms that's what they are.
I think Flonne is the only one hitting four digits in age. The others are a hundred years apart.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

I was considering getting it for the PC, but now I'm really not sure; If I do, I'll probably just do the math myself and then cheat the stats in to save time/sanity. I really, really wish they'd give an ounce of consideration to the people who can't play games all day.

I like to think that the Demons have a religion centered around the hatred of shirts: originally though, Etna's method of dress was a hint that she wasn't nearly as mature as she pretended to be, which came back to actually haunt her in the second game. Her "style" has become kind of pointless since then, except as a lazy recurring gag.

It's not even that time consuming it's just a bit confusing. As noted you can totally beat Phantom Brave in four hours by breaking the gently caress out of the game and getting people to like level 100+ in about twenty minutes.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think Flonne is the only one hitting four digits in age. The others are a hundred years apart.

My recollection was that Laharl is like 1300~, Etna 1400~, and Flonne 1500~, that basically their actual age is their approximate apparent age times 100.

That's actually one of the hints that there's something strange going on in Disgaea 2 if you're the sort of person who reads character bios and such, because Rozalin's listed at like 18 or 20 or whatever and there's clearly something up for that to be possible.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2016

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I am so excited for this thread that I am going to attempt to play the entire Disgaea series again, I already got Afternoon of Darkness and Dark Hero Days, so now I just need to buy the other two on the Vita when I have the time... I am also really bad at Disgaea so hopefully I won't get frustrated and quit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

GodofDiscord posted:

I am so excited for this thread that I am going to attempt to play the entire Disgaea series again, I already got Afternoon of Darkness and Dark Hero Days, so now I just need to buy the other two on the Vita when I have the time... I am also really bad at Disgaea so hopefully I won't get frustrated and quit.

Disgaea Tips:

For the original, Swords are insanely overpowered and Ronin are the best at Swords, so beeline to Ronin and base your offense around them. For every game after (especially 2 but the legend's really never died) Magic Knights are amazing and a problem that cannot be solved by throwing more Magic Knights at it is almost inconceivable. Monsters actually start becoming pretty good in 3, especially monster casters like Succubi (probably the all-around most versatile character type in the game since they get Fire magic, Healing, are flying movement type so they can bypass enemies, have a Bow-range regular attack, and some pretty solid monster-specific skills to finish it out).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ZeButler posted:

gently caress, my eyes just skipped over the blue entirely.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, nice to see a playthrough of this, I stopped following the series after 4 because I realised I only really like playing SRPGs on portable things, and they seemed to stop doing those versions.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought this game was after the original but before Disgaea 2. I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this.

thechosenone posted:

There's Stella Glow on the 3DS, but you'd have to avoid using Nonoka, because that design is concentrated :japan:.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought this game was after the original but before Disgaea 2. I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this.

There's Stella Glow on the 3DS, but you'd have to avoid using Nonoka, because that design is concentrated :japan:.

Stella Glow is like an Ar Tonelico SRPG but at least it's a 3DS game so nobody will see you playing it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

..why is she wearing a fishnet bikini? Did somebody force her to? Is she hiding her face out of shame? Why do Ninjas wear fishnet so drat much? That design is just plain awful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's a way to use a spandex cheesecake design without having to rationalize how the world has spandex/unstable-molecule-uniforms?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Is she hiding her face out of shame?

She's hiding her face with a box because she's shy. Seriously, that's the reason.

No explanation is given for the fishnet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe with that box on her head she can't actually tell what she's wearing?

Man, that is almost as bad as 99% of the female outfits in the new Langrisser; at least box-ninja appears to be an adult.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lotish posted:

Maybe with that box on her head she can't actually tell what she's wearing?

Man, that is almost as bad as 99% of the female outfits in the new Langrisser; at least box-ninja appears to be an adult.

She is as I recall, she's like 20 or something. And in spite of her tragic design Nonoka kinda owns and if you play Stella Glow and don't use her you're missing out on one of the best characters.

Anyway might have an update tomorrow, then the next one after that would probably be Monday since I'll be traveling Sunday. I expect two more updates for Episode 1 (we'll have some more mechanics stuff to talk about next time so I don't want to also try and push the whole rest of the Episode) and that we'll be able to move into 2 next week about Wednesday give or take.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man, a Feinne Disgaea LP, feels like it's been forever. Looking forward to how dumb this gets near the end.
Gotta appreciate the Netherworld having some Russian demons.

I wasn't around for the last LP, but coincidentally, Gust talked a bit about its future plans two days ago, and the Surge Concerto director said they're looking to make new IPs rather continue any existing series. So it sounds like the Ar series is buried for good this time around.

thetruegentleman posted:

..why is she wearing a fishnet bikini? Did somebody force her to? Is she hiding her face out of shame? Why do Ninjas wear fishnet so drat much? That design is just plain awful.
So this pops up in a lot of ninja related media, and it's usually not supposed to be fishnets (unless it's deliberately a sexual design like the art posted above). It's supposed to be a shirt with a mesh of thin metal wires. Think of it as a last resort chain-mail of sorts.
I always did wonder why dudes seemed to be walking around with what looked like fishnet t-shirts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Feinne posted:

Nonoka kinda owns and if you play Stella Glow and don't use her you're missing out on one of the best characters.

This is true, yes. She's one of the fastest units and hits pretty hard.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is true, yes. She's one of the fastest units and hits pretty hard.

That, along with a two square attack range, and being able to go invisible for a turn, makes her ridiculously strong. The only people that can really compete with her are Alto and Rusty (I'm ignoring the witches, because they just kind of break the game on their own).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ZeButler posted:

That, along with a two square attack range, and being able to go invisible for a turn, makes her ridiculously strong. The only people that can really compete with her are Alto and Rusty (I'm ignoring the witches, because they just kind of break the game on their own).

Well and the character who you only get if you've unlocked the True Ending. She's broke as gently caress.

And honestly the Ar Series should die because Ar Nosurge proved they have no idea what to do with it. They'd just make a really disappointing poo poo game instead of something cool.

Probably update later today, I've got the content for it ready but need to take screens and write and such.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Three: Statuesque

Last time we finished the tutorials. Once we get back to the castle, we’re told the Assembly is open.

Finally… Now I can get my business done.
Let’s make new characters so that I can have more vassals.
Talk to Pleinair to go to the Dark Assembly.

The Dark Assembly works much the same as it has in the rest of the series. We need Mana to propose bills, which we get from defeating enemies. At the moment, the only bill we really care about is creating some new characters. Let’s walk through how that works, because there’s some new complexity (which is why we didn’t start with some generics like we usually do).

We start by picking a class, such as the Lady Fighter here. Our starting classes are male and female versions of the Fighter, Martial Artist, Magician, and Cleric as well as Prinnies and any monster type we’ve killed before (so Ghosts and Mothmen so far). The classes with male and female versions actually do have some significant differences, because they not only have aptitude and base stat differences but also access to completely different Evilities. I’ll go over the classes in detail separate from this as the LP progresses.

We then choose the capability of the character, which determines the number of bonus stat points they start with and their cost. So, never ever create a Good For Nothing character, because nine extra mana isn’t poo poo compared to how bad it is to start five base stat points in the hole. At the same time, we need Assembly approval to create anything above Skilled and the hassle of that isn’t really worth it given these initial Bonus Points are quickly going to smooth out when we’re talking about preparing a character for the postgame. We name the character, then assign our bonus points.

So, remember that bonus points are Base Stats. We’ll be seeing their effect every single level we gain. We then move on to something new to the series, Weapon Forte.

So most characters choose one weapon to be better at. Casters choose the element they’ll specialize in instead (and indeed this eliminates the differentiation between the Red, Green, and Blue Mages/Skulls). We’ll pick swords here, because swords are always good.

Now we choose Personality, which controls both which voice set the character uses (each class has three voice sets, it’s kinda cool) and more importantly which Evility they have. For example, the Lady Fighter’s Evilities can either make her more powerful depending on how far she’s moved in a turn, make her stronger for each ally on the map, or let her move again after defeating an enemy. I go with the straightforward power increase per ally. Finally, we can change from one of a set of colors for the class. It’s not as good as Disgaea 5’s but it does let you have some variety.

I create a few more characters before I move on.

Lady Clerics get a neat Evility where they can attack based on RES if they’re equipped with a Book, which lets them exploit their best stat (and the one that controls healing) for offense as well.

Magicians are not as powerful as Skulls but are extremely efficient, meaning we can cast spells with pretty reckless abandon. I go with Fire and an Evility that restores her SP every turn.

A Martial Artist rounds out the team, I go with an Evility that lets her dodge all counters which will make her a pretty solid vanguard.

So, the Master/Apprentice system works quite a bit differently from how it did in the original game.

For one thing, while characters you create start as the apprentice of their creators, you can change this at will. Masters no longer learn from their Apprentices (which was kind of bizarre) but the other way around. An Apprentice can use the spells and applicable Weapon Skills of their Master, and if they use them several times they’ll learn them for good. Apprentices can also see their Weapon Mastery raise if their Master is better with a weapon type than them. Masters, meanwhile, get a portion of their Apprentices’ stats as bonus stats.

Let’s move on to our first real map of the game, Nameless Wilderness. Spoiler alert, it’s actually also going to include a tutorial of sorts.

Video- Nameless Wilderness

Watch

We do have some story before we start, though.

I don’t remember erecting a statue here…
I told the Prinny Squad to set them up all over the place.
Etna! Laharl! Look!
Aww, man. That rubble used to be your statue, right? I guess he’s still one step ahead of us…
drat… So he’s gonna rid the Netherworld of my statues by destroying them? How dare he!
Well, that’s what I’d do. You can’t really take them home or anything. They’d just be garbage on the floor.
You’ve gotta have balls to say that while I’m standing right here!
Etna, stop!
You shouldn’t say things like that, even though it’s true!
That goes for you, too!

Our loud argument seems to have attracted some attention.

He left us some low-class demons as a souvenir. He’s taking me too lightly. I’ll slash them all away!

Anyway as I suggested the map starts with another tutorial explanation, this time on Evilities.

The game’s just trying to make sure we know what Evilities are and how to check them on enemies, because it’s definitely relevant. In this case, it’s brought up in connection with the Catsabers on this map. Two of the Catsabers here take half damage from female units, and the other two take half from monsters.

They’ve conveniently color-coded them for us. Anyway we’re up against four Catsabers and a pair of Mothmen (who have an Evility that makes Poison more effective, so watch for that). We outnumber them and can quickly blitz the two by the Base Panel, so this map isn’t any kind of meaningful threat. Just blow them up and wait for the rest of the enemies to come into the teeth of your party.

We get access to a new facility after this, the Demon Dojo.

I didn’t authorize these changes in my castle! What’s going on!? Etna, you better explain!
Sure. The Demon Dojo is the latest and best training facility in the Netherworld.
You can do the basic physical and mental training…as well as…
Well, you’ll get a wider variety of options over time. You should try it out.
Oh, and it’s just past the shops.

Let’s look at the Demon Dojo interface.

Our initial Demon Dojo effects improve the rate of a character’s stat growth as they level (there will be others that unlock as time goes on that don’t). At first we can only put one person in each training type. As the characters in a given training type participate in battle, that training will level up and eventually both open up more slots and improve in effect.

Now let’s move on to the next map, and the introduction of a major new mechanic.

Video- Tainted Soil

Watch

Let’s talk about Likeability.

What’s that? It’s already making my skin crawl…
Likeability is the measurement of how much characters love each other.
Not this love nonsense again…
It’s not nonsense! It actually comes in handy!
Depending on how high their likeability is, their chances of joining a team attack will increase.
And once their likeability reaches a certain point, the characters will perform Support Attacks.
When you attack, a character that shares a high likeability will also attack that target. This is called a support attack.
So, they’ll deal more damage…
And if you Defend next to a character that shares a high likeability, they will Protect you!
When taking damage from enemies, they will take the damage for you.
Oh…that sounds pretty useful…
On top of that…!
There’s more!?

We also get a mention of another new mechanic I’ll get to in just a sec.

Mounted Skills!?
You can perform Mounted Skills when a monster unit is giving a humanoid unit a ride on their back.
Mounted Skills change according to their likeability. The higher it is, the better they get.
The Mounted Skill is determined by the monster unit, but they are all very powerful!
On top of that, when using these skills, both characters earn EXP!
That’s actually pretty cool…
Am I right!? Which is why you should always try to increase your likeability with other characters!
Likeability can be increased by performing team attacks or using items on them.
But if you attack them, your likeability will go down, so be careful.
You can check your current likeability from the Status Menu!
We can take it step-by-step, but let’s learn to like each other, Laharl.

So, let’s start on Likeability. As Flonne noted, when characters like each other they will trigger Team Attacks, Support Attacks, and Protects more often. As Flonne also noted we raise it by fighting together and healing each other. It’ll mostly just raise organically as time goes on. She also tangentially brought up another new mechanic, Mounting.

I just love how monsters can give humanoids rides!
While mounted, they can still move, attack, and use special skills!
That’s the main difference between mounted and lifting!
Since it’s dangerous, humanoids can’t use weapon or character skills, but you can still attack and cast spells.
And don’t forget about Mounted Skills!

Mounting is a new monster mechanic that is exclusive to this game. Humanoid characters can Mount a monster. They take on that monster’s movement characteristics and can use that monster’s Mounted Skill. They’re not able to use Skills, but can cast spells. When damage is dealt, the monster is the one that takes it as long as it’s still alive. Overflow damage doesn’t transit to the rider, but any further skills that are targeted where they were do. Just keep it in mind.

Let’s talk about the map real quick.

We’re up against some more Catsabers and Mothmen, with some Ghosts added as well. Ghosts are monster casters, and are best engaged by throwing across the water and into their face. The Red area doesn’t start with any symbols on it. We have access to a Def-50%, a Def+50%, and an EXP+50% that we can place on them, and it’s also possible to use them to clear it the panels if we want. We certainly want to do one or the other, because this is a relatively large number of enemies for this point in the game.

When we come back we’re greeted with some new options available in the Cheat Shop, which the game hasn’t actually told us exists.

So the Cheat Shop is a friggin’ revelation. Let’s take a look at what it can do for us.

So, here we can change the balance of our rewards in combat. For example we can reduce the HL we get to gain more experience. At the moment our minimum and maximum values are pretty limited. This will change, and we’ll eventually also get some floating cheat points we can apply as well. The next screen is also really important.

That’s right, we no longer have to use the Assembly to change the enemy strength. We can just change it to whatever we want on the fly (we’ll also eventually be able to activate Land of Carnage mode this way too). We can also turn off Support and Protect here, but there is no actual reason to do that.

The next two pages aren’t open yet, but we do have some options on the last page. We can turn off experience entirely, as well as gaining weapon master and skill levels. We can also remove our ability to cancel actions. Again, no benefit to doing so, but we can do it.

Alright, that’s about enough for today. We’ll pick this up next time with some less interrupted action.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Statue Showdown

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Is likeability directly visible? I don't think I saw it in the video but maybe it's elsewhere

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Polsy posted:

Is likeability directly visible? I don't think I saw it in the video but maybe it's elsewhere

It is in fact, in two places. So, on the next status screen over from the Evilities you can see a character's Likeability with everyone else. More importantly, while you're queuing up actions a little bar appears on the bottom of the screen that gives you an idea about your current character's relative likeabilities to give you an idea who you can and can't rely on to do support things. At least I think that's what that bar does, maybe it actually measures how close you are to the next level? Who knows.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I really enjoyed the original Disgaea and a lot of these new features seem like a lot of fun. Looks to b ea good sequel.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lotish posted:

I really enjoyed the original Disgaea and a lot of these new features seem like a lot of fun. Looks to b ea good sequel.

It really is, and then Disgaea 5 takes the good ideas of this and marries it with probably the strongest cast and plot in the series.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Feinne posted:

It is in fact, in two places. So, on the next status screen over from the Evilities you can see a character's Likeability with everyone else. More importantly, while you're queuing up actions a little bar appears on the bottom of the screen that gives you an idea about your current character's relative likeabilities to give you an idea who you can and can't rely on to do support things. At least I think that's what that bar does, maybe it actually measures how close you are to the next level? Who knows.

There are occasionally little displays like this that are never explained but are incredibly helpful once you get to know them. It took me way too long playing Disgaea 5 to realize that it will straight up tell you whether or not you can one shot an enemy by turning their life bar red when you target them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ddegenha posted:

There are occasionally little displays like this that are never explained but are incredibly helpful once you get to know them. It took me way too long playing Disgaea 5 to realize that it will straight up tell you whether or not you can one shot an enemy by turning their life bar red when you target them.

Yeah this game has that too, and if you can't a yellow bar will indicate what portion of their health you expect to deal with your attack.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

It really is, and then Disgaea 5 takes the good ideas of this and marries it with probably the strongest cast and plot in the series.
This thread is already devolving into an endless series of unfavourable comparisons to Disgaea 5.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FractalSandwich posted:

This thread is already devolving into an endless series of unfavourable comparisons to Disgaea 5.

I dunno, if the worst thing you can say about this game is that D5 is better then it's drat good praise.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Couldn't you just chuck both red and green on the blue tiles and then hit the green one without even having to move the clear one from green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
These are some pretty quality mechanics. But, uh, given their explosion potential, is riding a Prinny really a good idea?

• Locked thread