Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
How the gently caress did I miss this thread for so long?! :psyduck: looking forward to seeing D2's postgame since I haven't had the time for a Disgaea game since Disgaea 2...though Adel's my favorite of the protagonists by a longshot. We might as well throw Captain Falcon's helmet on him and call him Captain Falcon Junior with all the punches he throws...though he needs to get into doing life-threatening hover car races and bounty hunting first.

Also: Disregard Politics, throw more demon penguins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Forty-Nine: A Mad Scientist and a Lady Gentleman

Now for two more DLC characters, this time Mao and Salvatore.

Video- Mad Honor Student

Watch

Creepy heavy breathing means only one person!

Hey, Flonne, stop breathing so hard.
H-Hey! That’s not me!
It sounded more like a man, I think…
Looks like you’re right. Look over there.

Here comes Mao!

Everything, from your head to your toes, will be mine to do with as I please. If you resist, you’ll be dead.
Who the hell is this bossy little kid…? He must be the demon who’s after my title of Overlord!
It sounds more like he’s after our bodies than anything else…
What!? He wants my vibrant and youthful body!? What a perverted little kid!
I don’t like perverts!
What are you babbling about? No talking without my permission.
I’ve had enough of this nonsense! I am the ruler of this world, Overlord Laharl!
Overlord?
Heh heh heh…perfect! I didn’t think I’d get the ultimate test subject on my very first try!
However, I’m not too fond of your aggressive attitude. Allow me to teach you something.
Come, my servants!
Wow… They look…weak.
Hmph, idiots! These demons can control their strength with their minds. They are the ultimate super demons!
I got the idea to make them in my lab while I was reading comics! They are my masterpieces!
I can’t really tell if that’s really amazing or really sad…
But I must say, I don’t dislike the comic bookiness of what’s going on!
Hmph. The weak are still weak, no matter what he did to them. Kill them all!

We’re up against Mao himself, a small group of Masked Heroes who die from any damage, and some Rifle Demons. Let’s look at Mao.

I love that cut-in for him. Mao maintains his versatility from Disgaea 3. His Evility buffs all allies within 3 tiles by 10% and weakens all enemies in that radius by 10%. The Masked Heroes will run in and die super fast, once you’re through them just blow up Mao and his Rifle Demons. You’ll also get to see in the video how awesome Éclair’s Evility can be, as long as you don’t need her to do anything it really cuts down on the incoming damage.

You certainly are strong, but…there’s one quality that you’re lacking.
What could it be!?
It’s love! We are bound by the power of love! As long as we have love, we’ll never lose!
Whoa, whoa! Hold on a minute! Stop this comic-like plot right now!
Besides, you’re wrong! I don’t have any love! I only won because I’m strong!
Jeez…and it was just starting to get juicy…
So, what are we going to do with this perverted nerd? I say we just kill him, and toss him into the Sea of Gehenna…
No. These experiments that he does sound really interesting.
With his brains, I can make my vassals even stronger!
I don’t think any of us would let him touch us.
Yeah. Don’t even think about getting close to me…
So that’s the deal… From now on, you’ll do your experiments as my vassal!
What!? I never agreed to that! I’ve had enough of this!
System Message: Mao joined your party!
Wh-What!? I said I’m not joining you!
What a whiny, perverted nerd. Listen, if you ever touch me, I’ll ram my spear right up your-
Hold on! There’s one other thing! I’m not a pervert! Don’t get the wrong idea!
You got that!?

Now for Salvatore, which is a cool map and some fun plot.

Video- Magnificent Orders

Watch

It’s probably that one over there, wearing that military uniform. She looks pretty bossy, don’tcha think?
You didn’t even think about that before you said it, did you?
Oh no! That Prinny is getting captured! We need to help him!
Hey, Sicily! Don’t run off and do things without my permission!

I love this expression on the Prinny.

What’s this, child? You come out of nowhere like that and wish to issue orders to me? That is most foolish.
This Prinny disobeyed my orders. That alone is punishable by death! Releasing him is out of the question!
What order did you give him?
It was very simple.
I ordered him to expand his body with helium and life me up 10 miles into the air.
I didn’t know Prinnies could do that…
Ummm, they can’t.
That’s terrible… That’s Prinny abuse!
It’s not imposible! Superior orders are absolute! If I order them to die, they must die!
If you try to defend this Prinny, then the same fate awaits you! I will kill you!
Hold on a minute. You’re really here for me, aren’t you?
Big Brother…?
What? Are you going to defend this Prinny, too?
I don’t care what you do to the Prinny, I just want to destroy you for trying to take my throne.
I don’t know what you’re talking about, but if you oppose me, I will have to deal with you, too… But before that…

Some good old Salvatore action.

What the hell!? Wait, I don’t take orders from you!
Those in the back, transform and combine into a giant robot, then yell “Rocket Punch!” while giving me a flying crossbody!
I-I’ll do my best!
Flonne, that’s impossible…
Don’t worry about holding back! Give me your best shot!
drat idiot… I’ll show her something…

So this is a really cool map once you realize what is up with the enemies. Joining Salvatore are seven of the nine other Diez Gentlemen (though not by name, only by class). Missing are Animal King Goro and Se-To-Oh the Duelist Master, because their classes don’t exist in DD2. Anyway, let’s look at Salvatore.

Salvatore’s yet another special character who defaults to a Gun, which can make her tricky to hit. Her Evility is a lot like Pram’s, it gives a buff to allies within a range that changes every turn. They’re potentially very strong and hard to get buffs, like movement range and jumping. I’m not sure you even CAN steal the cool weapons the Classroom Queen and Prinny Mask are using, sadly. Certainly I couldn’t since I didn’t have anyone high enough to do so.

I don’t care about the Prinny.
Anyway, I’m hungry. Let’s go back and eat.
Sicily!
Not good enough!

Someone we haven’t seen in a bit shows up out of nowhere to block the sneak attack.

Barbara!?
drat it! Who are you!?
Are you ordering me to tell you my name? Then I shall tell you!
My name is Barbara. I am a proud demon warrior, and a faithful vassal of the Overlord!
Overlord? Are you saying that the girl is the Overlord?
No. Master Overlord is the one with the antennae. The snotty little brat over there!
What did you say!?
Sicily, as you ordered, I set the timer on the oven!
All I had to do was press one button! It was an easy task!
R-Right… All you had to do was press start. Thanks…
You were able to block my sneak attack. Looks like you are not a typical weakling…
I am not a weakling. The one who calls someone else a weakling is the true weakling!
Then show me! I order you to surround yourself with a 10,000,000 volt energy field and tackle me harder than you’ve ever tackled before!
Yes, ma’am!

This is needless to say love at first sight.

Y-You…!
What? I did as you ordered… Now what do you want me to do?
Hmhmhm…interesting… I like you!
Then I shall order you! No other demon has ever been able to follow my impossibly difficult orders before!
So you knew they were impossible…
Stop! Don’t cut me out of the conversation!
Barbara is my vassal! I can’t allow you to order her around without being a part of my party!
Fine, then I shall join your party. Be grateful!
What?
System Message: Salvatore the Magnificent joined your party!
Now, I can order you to my heart’s content! Are you ready, Barbara!?
Bring it on! And don’t even think about giving me vague or weak orders!
Prince… This is starting to be a pain in the rear end… Let’s just leave them here, and go home.
Good idea.
Is this really okay…?

Speaking of Barbara, if you’ve been wondering what she’s been up to (she’s not been available since we finished the game), we’ll be finding out after we finish up the DLC next time with human Priere, Ash, and Alejandro.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that Barbara just needed somebody who really knows how to give orders.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Say, Fienne, did Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention (the Vita port) do anything major for class balance at all? I know there's Rasberryl Mode and all the DLC on the cart. Just curious since I'm just starting the game and all that.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Kemix posted:

Say, Fienne, did Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention (the Vita port) do anything major for class balance at all? I know there's Rasberryl Mode and all the DLC on the cart. Just curious since I'm just starting the game and all that.

I've played it and platinumed it and it did nothing for class balance.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah Absence of Detention is just the full version of the game.

The vita version of 4 on the other hand has the Cheat Shop apparently which is exactly what that game needs to be almost tolerable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Mao continues to be utterly terrible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rather glad Mao didn't get to voice his lines. So weird.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Mao continues to be utterly terrible.

Mao is amazingly mediocre too, like I can at least imagine what I'd do with most of the DLC characters because they're really great at something but then Here Comes Mao still okay with swords and okay with magic but not impressive enough to use with either just like in 3. Meanwhile Salvatore could totally be used melee, I'm considering actually trying giving her an axe and seeing how that works given her unique skills will switch to ATK and give her options a normal axe user wouldn't have. Though we will totally be getting a better Axe user in human Priere next update so probably won't actually do that.

TBQH I'm sorry that we got a Disgaea 3 DLC for D5 instead of like Phantom Brave or Soul Nomad or any-the-gently caress thing else because Mao/Raspberyl/Salvatore together fail to be as worthwhile all combined as the La Pucelle DLC and that's literally just Overlord Priere (technically all three of them do a thing that's kind of useful outside of combat which is good because Mao and Beryl are really, really bad and Salvatore is one of a million gun users you get in 5 and not at all the best one).

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I found Mao, Rasberyl, and Salvatore to be very good and useful, especially if you go deep into the post game. Mao, breaks character world like a twig, Rasberyl is amazing for the innocent farm, and Salvatore makes getting the extracts necessary for the characters massively easier. All in all I found them pretty useful, although I do agree Mao's DLC and Almaz's really should have been just one bundle, and we really should have gotten something from Soul Nomad.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Mao is amazingly mediocre too, like I can at least imagine what I'd do with most of the DLC characters because they're really great at something but then Here Comes Mao still okay with swords and okay with magic but not impressive enough to use with either just like in 3.
i like Extreme Outlaw King better

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

TBQH I'm sorry that we got a Disgaea 3 DLC for D5 instead of like Phantom Brave or Soul Nomad or any-the-gently caress thing else because Mao/Raspberyl/Salvatore together fail to be as worthwhile all combined as the La Pucelle DLC and that's literally just Overlord Priere (technically all three of them do a thing that's kind of useful outside of combat which is good because Mao and Beryl are really, really bad and Salvatore is one of a million gun users you get in 5 and not at all the best one).

Ain't that the bloody truth: Mao must be really popular in Japan or something, because he sure as hell isn't interesting. Even in Disgaea 5, he's no fun to use; Salvatore is brutal, though, so she gets a pass, although her gimmick has worn thin as hell since D3 came out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Either that, he's someone's favorite in the development team.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Either that, he's someone's favorite in the development team.

Well he was a main character, so he gets to stay in. They also went really heavy on the Disgaea DLC characters in 5, you get 4 from DD2 (technically 5, you get Laharl-chan as a start of game DLC then a regular flavor Laharl from the DD2 bonus maps), 3 from D2, 5 from D3 (you also get Almaz and Sapphire), and 6 from D4. There's also bonus maps that give you just Overlord Priere and ones that you get Zetta, Petta, and Pram from.

You can tell who the developers wanted to include no matter what by who's a 'yeah whatever you just get them at the start' DLC, which includes Metallia, Nisa, and the return as a playable of Pleinair.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Feinne posted:

You can tell who the developers wanted to include no matter what by who's a 'yeah whatever you just get them at the start' DLC, which includes Metallia, Nisa, and the return as a playable of Pleinair.

Pleinair was loving god tier in what I played of Disgaea DS. All you had to do was lose to mid-boss in chapter one and get a free goddess after restarting. Best guns user in that port of the game, bar loving none. And her ability to hit high level enemies that are at least 50% above her level was insanely broken.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kemix posted:

Pleinair was loving god tier in what I played of Disgaea DS. All you had to do was lose to mid-boss in chapter one and get a free goddess after restarting. Best guns user in that port of the game, bar loving none. And her ability to hit high level enemies that are at least 50% above her level was insanely broken.
The fact that they didn't keep Plenair in as a recuitable character in Disgaea PC made me sad.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
What are you talking about? Plenair automatically joined my party at the start in the PC version of Disgaea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kemix posted:

She's hilariously broken in D5 as well. She's probably the strongest mage in the game and you get her, as Feinne says, right from the start.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Vauron posted:

What are you talking about? Plenair automatically joined my party at the start in the PC version of Disgaea.
I tested it out when the game was first released, she wouldn't join my party no matter what cycle I was on. Unless they updated it to add her?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Blaziken386 posted:

I tested it out when the game was first released, she wouldn't join my party no matter what cycle I was on. Unless they updated it to add her?

Yes, she was added in an update later on. She wasn't there on release.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fifty: A Brutal Maiden, A Kindly Ghost, and a Navel Knave

Let’s finish up the DLC (for now at least, we’ll be revisiting Zetta later on). We’ll start on human Priere.

Video- Demon Termination

Watch

Looks like someone wrecked a bunch of demons here.

Who would do such a terrible thing?
Probably the same person who’s after the Overlord’s throne. You need to be careful, Prince. I bet they’re still nearby!
Hmph! Come on out, whoever you are!
Huh? It’s a woman…
Oh, more demons! As the Maiden of Light, I’ll kill you all…!
…Huh? They’re children? Not to mention, some of them aren’t even demons…
So, you’re the one who beat up all these demons?
That’s not a very nice way to put it. I didn’t beat them up… I simply rescued their souls.
I may not look like it, but I’m actually a pretty well known man.
…Ummm, it looks like you were just beating the crap out of ‘em…
Wait… Are you part of some weird cult or something?

La Pucelle kinda is honestly.

I don’t really care. You’re claiming to be a nun and you’re after my throne… You’ve got some nerve…
Now, bring it on! I’ll take you on next.
…Uhh, I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I really don’t want to hurt any children.
How can you call yourself a nun when you beat up innocent demons!? You need to be disciplined!
Wow, you’re really motivated today. I’ll do my best, too!
Ummm, weren’t you listening? I really don’t want to hurt you, so just back off.
Don’t get all cocky just cuz you’ve got big boobs!
What does that have to do with anything!?
* sigh * I don’t really want to deal with this anymore.
All right, bring it. But I won’t be held responsible for making you cry!
You’re the one who’s gonna be crying! Here we go!

This is a fight with just Priere, which makes it pretty straightforward.

She’s an axe-master and her Felicitations is a super cool one. Her Evility causes her attacks to ‘splash’ to adjacent enemies for reduced damage, which is kind of incredible synergy with the high single target damage you expect from axes. She also has one of the most powerful single-target attacks in the game as a unique skill. Unfortunately for her, Salvatore is giving out a Range+9 buff so I melee her to death from across the map because WHY NOT.

Shut up. We are, so deal with it.
And now that you know, you better not attempt to be the Overlord ever again.
Ummm, well I never wanted to become the Overlord… I just want to become the Maiden of Light…
The Maiden of Light? Is that like an angel?
Uhhh…kind of! I guess they are kind of similar…
You can’t become an angel if you go around hurting innocent demons like that!
She has a point… If beating up demons made you an angel, I would’ve been an angel a long time ago.
What!? Really? Does that mean that beating up demons like this won’t turn me into the Maiden of Light?
That’s probably the case…
That damned perverted priest… He lied to me!?
Urrrggghhh…! I’m getting farther and farther away from attaining my dream of becoming the Maiden of Light…
You can’t give up! As long as you keep believing, your dream will come true!
And just how are you gonna back that up…?
Good point! You’re pretty motivational!
Aren’t you a simple one…

Priere’s basically just a cave person so this all goes pretty well.

I can make you something! It kinda makes me happy to know that you’re trying to become an angel.
Really!? Yay!
What the hell!? Stop! All the food at the castle belongs to me! I’m not gonna give this busty chick any!
It’s not like she was actually after the Overlord’s throne. Why can’t you be a little nicer to her?
What do you want to eat? I can make whatever you want.
Ooh, I don’t want to trouble you too much, but if you could make roasted pork, that would just be the best.
Okay! Let’s go to the castle together!
All right! By the way, I’m Priere. Pleased to meet you all!
System Message: Priere joined your party!
Hey! I’m going to make you work off everything you eat! Understand!?
So after all that, he’s still gonna make her his vassal… You’ve really gotten generous, Prince.

Now on to Ash from Phantom Brave.

Video- Wandering Phantom

Watch

I’m sorry, Etna, but I don’t think I like this place.
Well, this area is filled with musty magic power… It might be a little harsh for you, Sicily.
This place also looks kinda spooky… Like it’d be a perfect place for ghosts…
Yeah… I’m kinda scared…
…Ghosts are all over the Netherworld. Why are you getting scared now?
I know, but…this place is just scary!
Come to think of it, this place is inhabited by ghosts!
I heard they like little children, so you should be really careful, Prince and Sicily.
B-Big Brother! Let’s get out of here!
Hmph! No amount of ghosts can scare me!
Wait a minute! Etna, I’m not a little child!
Laharl! In the movies, the person who says something like that is always the first one to die!
You watch way too much TV…

And here comes Ash.

Um…
Kyaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
Noooooo!!!
Huh? What?
There you are, ghost! You must have a death wish if you’re attacking me!
W-Wait! I just wanted to—
Shut up! Who’m I gonna call!?

This is an actual map for once.

Either side of the map has this annoying defensive wall of Zombies and Ghosts. But we’ve got a load of DLC characters and all the power we need to just blow right through instead of throwing to the symbols so screw it. Let’s look at Ash.

Ash is an alright Sword user who specializes in Ice-based unique skills (some of which are quite powerful) and gets 20% stronger every turn he’s deployed (up to 240% which is kinda nuts). Unfortunately for him, he gets a demonstration of one of Pram’s Prophecies and gets one shot by her Evility before our second turn. Whoops.

Ummm, Prince, that’s not the scary ghost I was talking about.
…What!?
That’s fine. It’s his fault for making us think he was.
It’s not fine!
W-We’re sorry! We jumped to that conclusion and because of that, you got hurt…
…It’s fine. As long as we straightened everything out, that’s all that matters.
So…what were you doing way out here all by yourself? Only monsters hang out here.
Well actually, I don’t know. I just found myself here.
I’ve been walking and walking, but I haven’t been able to find a way out of the forest. And that’s when I ran into you guys.
Is that so…? That sounds awful.
As our way of saying sorry, we’ll lead you out of here!
Really!? Thanks!
You’re okay with this, right, Laharl? We did beat him up for no reason.
Hmph! Fine, do whatever you want.
System Message: Ash joined your party!
The way out of the forest should be…this way! Let’s go!
Are you really okay with this, Prince? I think he came from another world…
He might be the demon who’s after the Overlord’s throne.
What!? Why didn’t you tell me earlier!?
Hold on! Wait! I need to talk to him!

And now for Alejandro, who gets no respect.

Video- Lightning Suffering

Watch

There’s a lightning flash that doesn’t really capture well in a screen because, well, it’s a literal flash and my reflexes suck.

Get off of me! I can’t walk like this!
B-But…Big Brother, aren’t you afraid of thunder?
Fool. If thunder scares you, you can’t live in the Netherworld.
Don’t be so mean, Laharl. A brother and sister cuddling up… This is good! This is love!
Don’t say such revolting things!
Can you take this more seriously? You know, we could very easily get attacked by whoever’s after the Overlord’s throne!
Big Brother! Cover your belly button!
Huh? Why should I do that!?
The Seraph told me that if you leave your belly button exposed, the Lightning God is going to take it from you!
What!? If the Seraph told you that, then it must be true!
Etna, you too! You need to cover your belly button!
Are you guys serious? No one’s gonna take my belly button.
Exactly. If this Lightning God does come, I’ll just send him packing.
Ummm, Prince… There is no Lightning God…
Here comes the Lightning God!!!
Huh?

Ironically a Lightning God does in fact show up.

You!!! Have you come to take the belly button of an Overlord!?
What the hell? Who the hell are you…? You wanna be startin’ somethin’!?
Wait a minute, you’re an Overlord? That’s funny. You probably still wet the bed.
Hmph! I am the Ultimate Overlord. A weakling like you is no match for me, so feel free to start begging for your life.
Don’t let your guard down. We’re facing a belly button bandit! Look at his eyes! They’re looking right at your belly button!
Belly button bandit…!
Who are you calling a belly button bandit!?
drat you…you’re just a little brat. I’ll make you regret ever calling yourself the Ultimate Overlord!
…What is this…a comedy skit?

Asshat is alone, as is often the case for these maps.

He’s an axe user who specializes in wind-based unique skills, I don’t like him as much as Priere since he’s not got the crazy SS power attack she does. He damages a few random enemies at the end of the turn, sort of like one of Pram’s possible Evilities.

Now for this to get even more sad for poor Alex.

Dammit! He’s just a kid… But he’s already really strong.
Hey, you! How the hell did you get so strong!? Tell me!
Why should I tell you? Get lost, you eyesore!
No. Until I find out what the source of your power is, I’m gonna follow you to the ends of the Netherworld.
You see, I want to eventually become the strongest in all of the cosmos!
What are we gonna do? Seems like he’s become overly attached to us.
But, if he’s always gonna be following us around, our belly buttons will always be in danger.
He might actually be scheming to take our belly buttons right now!
Dammit! I don’t care about belly buttons!
Either way, I can’t just have you loitering around wherever we go.
All right, if you promise that you’ll give up your belly button bandit ways, I’ll let you stay with us.
Stop calling me a belly button bandit!
Then what are you, a belly button otaku?
My problem isn’t with what you call it!
Dammit…fine! I’ll stop being a belly button bandit!
Yay! Now we’re safe!
Uh-huh! Etna, now you won’t have to worry about your belly button!
Y-Yeah…
System Message: Alex joined your party!
Come to think of it, we never found the demon who’s after the Overlord’s throne…
That’s fine. They’ll eventually come find me. Let’s just go back to the Overlord’s Castle.
Stop looking at my belly button, you pervert.
Dammit! I never should’ve acknowledged that belly button thing!

Next time we’ll finally find out why Barbara isn’t part of the team right now. It’s exactly as sane as you’d expect from her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I feel like D2's DLC scenarios are the epitome of Dumb Disgaea DLC. Pretty much the only good part is the bit at the beginning where Laharl actually does take Sicily out on a trip, everything else is just Hey It's This Character, Exactly The Same As When You Last Saw Them.

Which I guess I wouldn't mind as much if D5 hadn't gone in a completely different direction and actually wrote all the DLC characters as having progressed since the endings of their games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least Axel and Rozalin show actual progress in most of the dlc they show up. They still don't admit to being in love but they are getting worse and worse at actually hiding it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Uh, I think this Priere quote might have gone wrong near the end.

quote:

That’s not a very nice way to put it. I didn’t beat them up… I simply rescued their souls.
I may not look like it, but I’m actually a pretty well known man.
I think it's supposed to be nun?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, she was added in an update later on. She wasn't there on release.
Oh, sweet. I was really disappointed when I tested that out at first.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It would be nice if the DLC acknowledged if you had gotten related characters. Would be kind of interesting to see Priere meet her Overlord version. Would probably be a bit annoying to write, though.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MarsDragon posted:

It would be nice if the DLC acknowledged if you had gotten related characters. Would be kind of interesting to see Priere meet her Overlord version. Would probably be a bit annoying to write, though.

Fate/Prototype the strat RPG?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MarsDragon posted:

Think Disgaea 4 handled that. I know there were at least interchangeable scenes between Adell and Rosalin where recruiting one first, then the other would change the scene a bit because they were on your team.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Kemix posted:

Think Disgaea 4 handled that. I know there were at least interchangeable scenes between Adell and Rosalin where recruiting one first, then the other would change the scene a bit because they were on your team.

They did the same with the PSP remake of Disgaea 2. For other characters, of course.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

This does happen ONCE I think, which is why I won't be getting Zetta until we get Petta.

5 handles this by having the DLC in 3 map mini-chapters that don't give characters until the end.

I think I can just roll up on Barbara's map without leveling up thanks to the DLC characters so I'm probably going to be able to have that ready for this weekend (I haven't had a chance to play it yet and Thanksgiving might prove an impediment). After that I'll assess how often I can update, I like this game's postgame so I'll definitely DO it but eventually there'll be a stage where I'm doing a LOT of item world and I've got computer issues that make those very hard to record (the computer I record on has developed some kind of hardware issue that causes it to pretty reliably crash once or twice per half hour of recording) and honestly they're not super interesting to watch anyway. We'll definitely get all the extra characters and do things like the return to Prinny Land. I won't be doing Baal because getting ready for him just takes too much time. I'm hoping that we'll be wrapped up with this sometime in January and able to move on to Disgaea 5, I might even try and sort out some better recording equipment to go with the better desktop I theoretically could start recording on before then.

There's of course always the chance I'll do something odd and mercurial, that is the kind of thing I do after all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
still looking forward to that Mugen Souls LP

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

still looking forward to that Mugen Souls LP

It could always happen.

I was basically passed out drunk all day yesterday and had something to do today so I will confess I didn't get to record yet. Should have an update by early next week at the latest.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Please don't actually do that to us and/or yourself.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

FractalSandwich posted:

Please don't actually do that to us and/or yourself.

Can't stop masochist s from being masochists after all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Which I guess I wouldn't mind as much if D5 hadn't gone in a completely different direction and actually wrote all the DLC characters as having progressed since the endings of their games.

I really need to finish D5 and do the dlc.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I really need to finish D5 and do the dlc.

The DLC maps are super fun and cool, both in the maps themselves and the plot.

I'll have time to record tomorrow, i've basically been in a panopticon the past couple days as far as 'time to go off and do a thing by myself' goes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Have you tried to load Prinnies with the best muscles available at the time and keep tossing them at Xenolith?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Have you tried to load Prinnies with the best muscles available at the time and keep tossing them at Xenolith?

That... actually might work really well since he has no way to heal himself and prinny explosions don't give a gently caress about your stats.

I managed to record just now so update in the next couple of days with Barbara's map.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Honestly I stopped watching the video portions of the updates a while ago when they stopped being about strategy and just about spamming level 100 DLC characters and their OP skills to one-shot other level 100 DLC characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The post game is the best when it is about fighting guys ten times your level.

• Locked thread