Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The terrible secret of Disgaea is that once you get to the postgame, it's never really good at anything except being something to do with your hands while you listen to podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Fifty-One: The Melancholy of Barbara

Now for the real postgame. To open these up, we need to pass Assembly bills, and you’ll be able to tell the relative difficulty of the maps by how much they cost and how hard they are to pass. This first map is really easy if you’re laden with DLC characters.

They all show up as a separate chapter, even if they’re only one map.

Video- “Orders Received”

Watch

They’re also voiced so enjoy.

Crap… I was gonna get her to buy me some bread and juice. She shouldn’t just up and disappear on us like that.
Ummm, you guys… Weren’t you trying to get Barbara to start acting on her own free will?
That’s exactly right! She’s not some maid or something!
Oh really? Then why did you ask her to record your late night anime for you?
W-Well…she offered to do it!
If you guys keep this up, she’s never gonna be able to act on her own will!
I’m sure she’s trying really hard to be able to think on her own! We should try not to get in her way!
There! How’s that? Does it feel good?
L-Look over there… Isn’t that Barbara?

Barbara has found the cruelest and most demanding master of all.

Meow!
Understood! I really appreciate that you’re giving me specific orders!
Does that look like a person who’s trying to act on her own will?
B-Barbara! What are you doing here!?
Master Overlord?
If you’ve got the time to play around with a cat, go clean up my room or something!
S-Stop it, Big Brother!
Barbara, we were looking everywhere for you. Let’s go back to the Overlord’s Castle.
I’m sorry, but I’m following the orders of Master Cat right now. I can’t go back with you.
Master Cat?
Why the hell are you obeying that drat cat?
Fine, I shall tell you why.
I thought really hard for several days about what I want to do.
However, I wasn’t able to find anything that I wanted to do.
While I was at my lowest point, I met Master Cat here.
Master Cat wouldn’t listen to any of my worries. Instead, it kept giving me orders…like play with me, or feed me.
That’s when I thought to myself…
That Master Cat was actually trying to tell me that my sole purpose in life was to follow orders!
Oh, that’s what you thought, huh?
Why would you even think that…?

Barbara continues to light up my world by making every scene she’s involved in that little bit less sane.

Are you an idiot!? Stop acting like a child, and let’s go home already!
Meow?
I see! So you want me to lift you up? I’ll do my best!
Prince, I don’t think she’s listening…
drat you… Are you going to defy my orders!?
In that case, I’ll force you to come back!

This map is either very difficult or pretty easy, depending on whether you have the DLC. It’s a pretty significant jump in difficulty from the final map of the main game, since you are up against rather a lot of level 80 Catsabers and Barbara at 100 (she’s also got the extra Evility she had last time we fought her that makes her always defend from the front or sides to go with her normal one). One interesting thing, Barbara is actually armed with an Axe this time rather than a Spear. This makes her slightly less threatening, since it makes you less likely to get countered and wrecked. The Green panels are Enemy Boost +50%, while Red increases ATK (green will turn red if you clear the Enemy Boost effect). If you can handle the Cats this isn’t too bad. You’ll also get to see the magic of Confine work in this when I revive someone, it takes up another dispatch but they get +30% stats from Marona’s Evility.

Au revoir monsieur chat!

Master Cat! Please give me a new order!
Now that your master cat took off…
Follow the orders of your true master!
Master Overlord… It seems I can’t find my own way.
That being said, will you still allow me to stay with you?
I really don’t care about that. You are my vassal, right? You’re not allowed to go off on your own without my permission!
Master Overlord…!
It’s very reassuring to hear that. Now, I can follow all orders without a second thought!
You ordered me to go back with you, right? I will stick to your side and we will make a beeline to the Overlord’s Castle!
H-Hey! Get off of me!
System Message: Barbara joined your party…again!
Is this really okay?
If it’s fine with her, I don’t see why not…
So, what should I order her to do when we get back…?
M-Maybe I’ll ask her to help me cook…
Huh? I thought you weren’t gonna give her any orders…
…Meanie.

We get Barbara back (in her state as of when we cleared the game) and also get an extra 25 points to play with in the Cheat Shop (which in practical terms means +25% experience on top of what we were already doing) and a raised cap there.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Nepotism Battle! The President’s Son!

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And the cocoon cracked and fell open, revealing... another caterpillar.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just learned that there's a Japanese release date for Witch and the Hundred Knight 2. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to not playing it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

I just learned that there's a Japanese release date for Witch and the Hundred Knight 2. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to not playing it.

Oh cool I'm earnestly excited.

I'm hoping to get to record the next map soon, I may or may not actually need to grind to do it.

EDIT: Looking it up it's a 150 boss and some 120ish enemies, so that's probably pretty possible with 100ish bonus characters as long as I'm careful.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 2, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dropping muscles on characters lets them hit above their weight. I was using the top tiers from the Item World to beat the optional bosses who are hundreds of levels higher in the other games.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 2, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Oh cool I'm earnestly excited.
If you're lucky, it'll even come out in English eventually.

Hopefully they didn't decide to be honest with themselves and make it an actual horror game this time, or it might end up being cast into the NIS Horror Hole alongside Hayarigami and never see the light of day outside Japan.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I've been feeling really poo poo the past few days and haven't made any progress, I'm hoping I'll feel well enough to get some stuff done later tonight or tomorrow? Apologies, I more than anyone wish I wasn't so loving tired I can't even play vidja james.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Recording right now, will probably have an update tomorrow.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fifty-Two: Our Battle With Nepotism

Now here’s a more proper postgame fight than Barbara, a showdown with a Disgaea 4 character. Today we’ll be fighting Death Emizel, by far the least compelling of that game’s cast. Oh, and the recording crashed during the enemy turn once but you just miss them failing to do anything important so I don’t consider it a significant loss.

Video- Netherpower Struggle

Watch

Death Emizel is going to explain who he is for those who wisely did not play Disgaea 4. And the answer is NOBODY OF CONSEQUENCE.

I came to see for myself what kind of idiots would come up with such a stupid idea, but you guys don’t look like you’re worth the effort!
What’s going on here? Someone better explain!
We were told there was some kind of quantum distortion, so we came to investigate, and we found this bossy little kid.
“Bossy little kid”!? How dare you call me that! Don’t you know who I am!?
I’m Death Emizel! I am the Abbadon Commander! I’m in charge of the assassination task force run by the President!
I’m also his one and only son! The blood of the greatest lineage in the Netherworld flows through my veins! Now, kneel before Emizel!
Uhhh, okay, so there are like 13 things I wanna ask you… First of all, what’s a Netherworld President?
What’s a President…? Not who’s the President, but what’s a President!? What the hell!?
You’re all planning to rebel, but don’t even know who you’re rebelling against!? How stupid can you be!?
Shut up, kid! There is no Netherworld President in my Netherworld!

Emizel’s really not getting that he’s not at home anymore and we don’t give a poo poo about elected officials around here.

By the way, you told me, the Overlord, to kneel before you! Don’t think I’m about to let that slide!
Calm down, Laharl! I think he’s from a different Netherworld…
So what!? This is MY Netherworld!
I must punish those who are bossier than me! That’s my job, as Overlord!
You tell him, Prince! Let’s shut him up first. We can think of other stuff to do to him later.
This is a “when in Rome” situation!
That’s not a good reason!
Just shut up already! I can’t deal with you idiots any longer! Kill them all!

Okay so this map is a bit harder than the cats. Let’s start with the impending problem, the Geo setup.

The map will quickly cover with Red tiles with these effects. Fortunately, the symbols are right here at the start so we can just clear the Ally Damage effect and let it go from there (we might also want to clear No Lifting and I will later, but the Defense+ bonus favors us pretty well so it’s best to let it sit for now). Now for the opposition.

I would characterize Emizel as ‘poo poo Metallia’. His Evility increases the damage he does on single target magic attacks by 50%. He’s accompanied by a bunch of level 120s, a mix of Martial Artists, Gunners, Ghosts, a Reaper, and several Armor Knights. These Armor Knights are actually a concern too, because they’re set up to use the same infinite range Protect that I have taken so much advantage of. This is going to make it tricky to kill all the incoming enemies before they become a threat (though not impossible). One thing to remember is that characters can only Protect so many times in a turn, so just throwing a large volume of AoE attacks at the incoming will eventually get through just on numbers. You can also hope to just frag the Armor Knights, though that’s tricky if you’re not vastly overpowered for this map which I’m kind of not in spite of having on paper more powerful characters. Anyway just hang back and let the enemies come to you and you’ll be in good shape.

I told you, I am the Overlord! It’s your fault for not respecting me. Just be glad that you’re even still alive.
Dammit! Just shut up already! I’m telling Father about this! He’ll make you pay!
Wait a minute… Where am I? How did I get here? Where is the President’s office?
Looks like that quantum distortion problem fixed itself… That means we’re done, right?
No, we’re not! What are we going to do about him? He seems like he’s really lost.
Maybe we can send him back somehow…
I won’t go through all that trouble just for him!
Good point. Then why don’t you make him your vassal? He is stuck here…
If he’s okay with being treated like a Prinny, then I’ll think about it.
Just like a Prinny!? Good for him!
That is NOT good for me!
System Message: Emizel joined your party, but with the condition that he must be treated like a Prinny!
Don’t worry. Laharl can be pretty pushy at times, but he isn’t a bad person.
He’ll probably let you go home eventually. I think… Maybe…
If you’re trying to reassure me, at least be more confident about it!

We get Emizel and more CP to play with for winning here. The CP is the more valuable part honestly, Emizel’s outclassed by not just our other casters but also by the character we’ll be getting next time, a character I’ll actually use because she’s cool.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: EYE BEAMS.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If Emizel must be treated like a prinny, does he explode when thrown?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Having enjoyed the story of 4 so much, I'm surprised that Emizel is characterized as running back to his father when a big part of his character development in 4 was his working to become his own demon independent of him. But that's the way this franchise goes with how consistent it isn't with end-game characterizations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Feinne posted:

Death Emizel, by far the least compelling of that game’s cast.

You mispelled Fenrich.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

sethimothy posted:

Having enjoyed the story of 4 so much, I'm surprised that Emizel is characterized as running back to his father when a big part of his character development in 4 was his working to become his own demon independent of him. But that's the way this franchise goes with how consistent it isn't with end-game characterizations.

Given he's still the head of Abaddon and the whole 'quantum distortion' thing, it seems pretty clear that Emizel is taken from before his character development ever happened. He's a DLC character in Disgaea 5 and that does use his post-game characterization, though, so I guess this game is just weird?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh boy Disgaea just LOVES their insufferable rear end in a top hat party members a whole loving bunch. What fun! I really hope "must be treated like a Prinny" means he explodes when thrown.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh boy Disgaea just LOVES their insufferable rear end in a top hat party members a whole loving bunch. What fun! I really hope "must be treated like a Prinny" means he explodes when thrown.

That would make Emizel useful though whereas I can assure you his only actual use is to steal his Evility and put it on Metallia to make her even more broken.

MightyPretenders posted:

You mispelled Fenrich.

Hey Fenrich has one note, that puts him ahead of Emizel. Both have the problem of being deeply boring characters in a game where everyone else is loving crazy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Fenrich was funny occasionally.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Fenrich was funny occasionally.

Yes. But past a certain point, his main role was to complain about the more interesting characters. Emizel, in contrast, had a character arc and joined Fuuka and Vulcanus in juggling the Sanity Ball.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I found Emziel to be one of the better characters from D4. He had a clear arc and grew as a character which is something that most of the rest of the characters seemed to lack. Everyone else was pretty much one note. Honestly the only characters that I really liked in D4 were Fuka, Desco, and Emziel and of those three Emziel is the only one who really grew as a character and was enjoyable. Fuka could have been great but the story in general and the way they played her pretty much killed that outright.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Fuka is a character from a serious drama who somehow stumbled into a Disgaea game. She doesn't get to be a good Disgaea character because it doesn't fit how she's set up, and she doesn't get to be the character she should have been because it would be way too dark for Disgaea.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Fuka is a character from a serious drama who somehow stumbled into a Disgaea game. She doesn't get to be a good Disgaea character because it doesn't fit how she's set up, and she doesn't get to be the character she should have been because it would be way too dark for Disgaea.

Well way too dark for Disgaea 4 especially. She wouldn't have been too dark for 5.

The next map jumps up by a significant amount, I might have it early next week? I actually have to start grinding now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am still a bit sad you dislike Disgaea 4 and don't appear to be planning on doing it.

I really liked it myself. Valvatorez is one of the more entertaining main characters in the series and find the rest of the cast fun as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 7, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Well way too dark for Disgaea 4 especially. She wouldn't have been too dark for 5.
That's true. It would fit 5 much better.

Now that I think about it, I think we've had this exact conversation before, maybe even in this thread.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am still a bit sad you dislike Disgaea 4 and don't appear to be planning on doing it.

I really liked it myself. Valvatorez is one of the more entertaining main characters in the series and find the rest of the cast fun as well.

If I do it I'd probably do so after 5. I do like the cast of 4 quite a bit and it's definitely funny but I don't have a lot of fun actually playing the game is the thing. Like I'd NEVER consider doing any of its postgame for an LP, it's even more painful than D3's postgame and I didn't do that either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only postgame bit worth doing in D4 is the Fuka and Desco show dlc anyways.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Like I'm going to wax poetic about the way the postgame in this game works right now.

Not only can you just turn your EXP up (and your ability to do so increases as you progress in the postgame) but you can mess with enemy levels at the same time without any of the bullshit of previous games so it's just as simple as setting the enemy strength you need for the map you're using to grind then going to town. And your enemy strength granularity is strong as hell since you have twenty 'stars' that correspond to one curve of enemy level increases but THEN you can also turn it on Land of Carnage mode to set things to a different level progression that you can then further apply enemy strength increases to in order to do all sorts of poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Disgaea games are coming to mobile.
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/sony-announces-smartphone-games-lineup-hot-shots-golf-wild-arms-parappa-nis-square-enix-projects

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Far out, man. Playstation Mobile is rising from the dead!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

A new Wild Arms game catches my attention in that release! I'm a little concerned about a NIS phone game, because I remember that they had a Disgaea style phone game in Japan that was both exceptionally pay-to-win (you could play for free, but only as a Prinny; other classes and extras cost cash) and was not well received over there before not being localized stateside because of "technical reasons." But who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

NISA also announced a bunch of new stuff recently, some of which might actually be pretty good (others will be hot garbage, the fun part is trying to predict which is what).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Makai Kingdom port and new Disgaea anime that is not visually garbage.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Feinne posted:

NISA also announced a bunch of new stuff recently, some of which might actually be pretty good (others will be hot garbage, the fun part is trying to predict which is what).

Link me please? I didn't see this, but I'm always curious about what they are up to.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Makai Kingdom port and new Disgaea anime that is not visually garbage.

God one can hope. Makai Kingdom will be a day one purchase for me should it be released on PC. I never got to play it on the PSP.

I do know that Disgaea 2 is coming out for the PC, which I may end up picking up, but I've got some mixed feelings about. Despite sinking over 300 hours into the PS2 game and a rediculous 500 hours in the PSP version, I have never been able to unlock the Land of Carnage, and... trying for that again just seems like it's a fools errand. I guess we'll see.

Edit: Their store website suggests a new Cladun game (which seems really overpriced considering what the franchise is), Danganronpa V3, A Rose in the Twilight, A Birthdays the Beginning (kind of a monster ecosystem game?), and an American port of the god-awful Anima: Gate of Memories (anyone remember the RPG books that came out for this about 5 or 6 years ago?)

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 10, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Have NISA announced an English version of The Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain yet? I haven't been holding my breath. If you're only on the Vita, you're only worth publishing in English if you're a masterpiece like Criminal Girls.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sethimothy posted:

Edit: Their store website suggests a new Cladun game (which seems really overpriced considering what the franchise is), Danganronpa V3, A Rose in the Twilight, A Birthdays the Beginning (kind of a monster ecosystem game?), and an American port of the god-awful Anima: Gate of Memories (anyone remember the RPG books that came out for this about 5 or 6 years ago?)
It is like seeing a train with "gently caress you" on its side, passing by your house for an hour.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Have NISA announced an English version of The Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain yet? I haven't been holding my breath. If you're only on the Vita, you're only worth publishing in English if you're a masterpiece like Criminal Girls.

Bafflingly the actual game system from Criminal Girls is pretty great, if the game weren't indescribably skeezy it would probably be a good game.

Then again my opinions on games are notably not good.

I've had a bunch of bullshit happening the past few days and haven't really felt like grinding, I'll try to get to it tonight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Bafflingly the actual game system from Criminal Girls is pretty great, if the game weren't indescribably skeezy it would probably be a good game.

Then again my opinions on games are notably not good.
We should start a podcast. The Fractal & Feinne Bad Opinion Variety Hour, coming soon to an RSS feed near you.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

We should start a podcast. The Fractal & Feinne Bad Opinion Variety Hour, coming soon to an RSS feed near you.

God this is actually sort of tempting, doing a thing of just shooting the poo poo on terrible games and terrible opinions about games. I have so many of those things (though even I can't play more than like two hours of Last Rebellion).

Still grinding, if I find myself all motivated I'll do a big dump of talk about what the DLC characters actually do while I do the million things I need to do to challenge proper postgame maps.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Feinne posted:

God this is actually sort of tempting, doing a thing of just shooting the poo poo on terrible games and terrible opinions about games. I have so many of those things (though even I can't play more than like two hours of Last Rebellion).

Still grinding, if I find myself all motivated I'll do a big dump of talk about what the DLC characters actually do while I do the million things I need to do to challenge proper postgame maps.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to capture your PS3 gameplay? If you do mind, disregard.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

I am unironically down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

I am unironically down for that.

I would also be interested.

• Locked thread