Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

serefin99 posted:

I want to hear more about mages tomorrow, since I prefer magic in just about everything I do.

If DD2 is anything like the first two games, mages are badass as hell and can nuke entire armies from across the map (...eventually), so this is a good attitude to have in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Of these starting classes Mages/Skulls are definitely the ones you're most likely to still be using in the postgame (though you probably will eventually want them to be Magic Knights or some kind of monster ).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

...wait, what? Aren't Prinnies, like, the lowest step on the wheel of reincarnation? What would they be doing in Celestia?
I think the explanation are that Netherworld Prinnies are some kind of absolute bastards and serve in hell for their crimes, while Celestian Prinnies are more overnight jail sentences for petty offenders. Prinnies are considered to be bad people when they died.

Fortitude looks really broken if you favor playing the waiting game. It might be spoilers to go over that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fortitude could in theory be really broken against any single alone powerful enemy IF you are able to keep that enemy from killing whoever's healing the Warrior back to full every turn instead of the Warrior.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd like to know more about the Martial Artists. Magic tends to be something that get crazy all on its own so I'm sure we'll learn plenty about it later.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Tossing in another vote for the Martial Artists.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feinne posted:

Fortitude could in theory be really broken against any single alone powerful enemy IF you are able to keep that enemy from killing whoever's healing the Warrior back to full every turn instead of the Warrior.
Why would the Warrior need a healbot? :smug:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why would the Warrior need a healbot? :smug:

I guess he could heal himself, though it's a lot of effort to make a Warrior even adequate at such since they've still got objectively poo poo SP and RES.

Fortitude is actually weaker than you'd think since all you really have to do to counter it is engage in melee range and goad the Warrior into a Counter, getting you the two separate hits you need to kill him.

Oh and I did some experimenting earlier, and no being thrown does not count as movement for Assault Attack. Also I was totally wrong about something earlier, being thrown DOES count as moving for the purposes of effects that don't want you to have moved. This is in fact very important later.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ardeem posted:

Martial Artists I usually don't keep any around longer than it takes to unlock more classes, so I want to hear what they've got that's worthwhile.

Neither martial artist starts with any elemental vulnerabilities, and they both have Evilities which do some interesting things with counterattacks. There are a couple of stages in the story campaign where it's useful to have a Fight Mistress along because the map's gimmick revolves around counters.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Since they both had about equal support, I'm just going to do both Martial Artists AND Mages today!

Fists of the North Star

Let's start with the Martial Artist (male) and Fight Mistress (female).

Weapon Skills: Martial Artists are B rank in Fists, C in Swords, Spears, and Bows, D in Guns and Axes, and E in Staves and Books. Fight Mistresses are identical.

Stats: Martial Artists have more HP, ATK, and DEF but less RES, HIT, and SPD than Fight Mistresses. Since Fists are based on both ATK and SPD, this means they're pretty much equivalent in damage capabilities. The stat differences are pretty much a wash.

Evilities: Counters are the focus of our Evilities today, let's start with the Martial Artists:

Fury - Increase Attack Power by # of counter attacks x 25% (Within turn). This Evility makes each successive counter attack by a Martial Artist significantly stronger. It's okay, but can be tricky to take advantage of.

Forced Counter - When attacking, forces enemy to counter attack (Max 20 times). Another Evility that takes some thought to really take advantage of. While it lets you get your full counters out of an exchange, if you're not able to avoid the majority of the enemy's attacks that's not always ideal.

No-miss Counter - Counter attacks will never miss. This can be very handy for dealing with very evasive enemies, though that's a bit niche. All three Martial Artist Evilities are such, really.

And for the Fight Mistresses, whose Evilities are MUCH less disappointing:

Double Counter - Will attack twice with each counter attack. So yeah we're immediately in much better shape than the Martial Artist, given how many counters it takes to actually pass the double damage threshold with Fury.

Combo Attack - Increase continuous attack rate of fist weapons by 25%. Fists can actually double up their attacks, and this increases that chance. A solid if somewhat unreliable option.

Counter Dodge - Will evade all counter attacks. Substantially better than No-miss Counter, because we can run up on an enemy with counters and then mow them down without any risk. This is my preferred option though all three are pretty great.

It's a Kind of Magic

Now for the Skull (male) and Witch (female).

Weapon Skills: Skulls are B rank in Staves and Books, C in Swords and Spears, D in Fists, Bows, and Axes, and E in Guns. Witches are also B in Staves and Books, are C in Bows and Guns, D in Swords, Spears, and Fists, and E in Axes. Generally you only ever use Staves or Books, though.

Stats: Skulls have slightly more HP, RES, and significantly more SPD at the expense of slightly less SP, DEF, and significantly less HIT. The Witch probably has the better set of stats, since she can cast longer, has more even defenses, and spells can indeed miss in this.

Evilities: Skulls have more offensively focused Evilities.

Magic Bundle - Special skill power increased by 30%, but 50% more SP used. A straight up damage increase whose downside is either crippling or meaningless depending on where you are in the game. It's really rough right now, honestly, because we just don't have much SP on anyone.

Over Limit - Special skill power is increased by 40%, but SP drains by 10% each turn. Another straight damage increase that will eventually run you out of SP. Make sure you have lots of SP restorative items if you intend to use a Skull with this on a long map.

Sorcery Depletion - When SP is under 50%, special skill power increased by 50%. This is probably the only one of the three that's really viable on a long map, since it doesn't actively run you out of SP. You can also refuse to restore the Skull's SP at the hospital if you'd like, letting them come into fights below 50%. Probably the best if you micromanage that and just keep them going with items.

Witches are all about efficiency.

Magic Moderation - 50% less SP used for special skills. Simple and powerful, what is there to say about it.

Magic Creation - Recover 10% SP at end of turn. Great for long maps where we might not be casting every turn.

Lights of Life - When remaining SP is insufficient, use HP for special skills instead. Gives us a deeper pool of SP, but realistically it's inferior to either of the other options.

Spells: So, Skulls and Witches get spells. At creation we choose one element, either Fire, Ice, or Wind. Our spells depend on both our level and which Rank we are. Ranks of a class are stronger versions that unlock as we level a member of that class, and it's really important to take advantage of the ability to upgrade to higher Ranks for casters. Rank 1 gets their regular spell at 1 and its Mega tier at 10. Rank 2 lets us pick up the Giga level at 20. Rank 3 unlocks Omega spells at 40 and also gives the Skull/Witch Star magic (Star at 1, and Mega Star at 10 at Rank 3). Rank 4 unlocks the Tera tier of your initial element (which requires level 80) and Giga Star at 20. Rank 5 is Omega Star (40) and 6 is Tera Star (80).

Update still tomorrow unless I get super bored tonight or something.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Combo Attack was always my preferred option for my Fight Mistress. It's more than just double attacking; I more than once saw her chain ten attacks together in a single action. It got so ridiculous at points that she was doing far more damage just attacking than using any skills.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Seven: Frozen Showdown

Last time we chased after Sicily, let’s keep on with it.

Video- “Freezing Winds”

Watch

Just give up already!
What…? How could you be so cruel to my cute Prinnies!?
You’re the one who made them fight us.
Now it’s your turn. Take this!
Get out of my way, Flonne!
You have to calm down, Laharl.
You just need Sicily to give up trying to be the Overlord, right?
…Well…yeah.
In that case, we can just talk it out. Leave it to me!
Sicily…please give up on being the Overlord.
No!

Negotiations appear to have broken down.

How can you give up so fast!?
Are we done with the comedy routine? She’s summoning more things.
Durian Dragon Dranyago!
Protect me, my dragon!

If you weren’t getting the ‘original Disgaea’s episode 2’ vibe from this now they straight whack you with it.

Amazing! She can summon dragons, too?
This is no time to be impressed! Here they come!

This is definitely the hardest map so far. Let’s take a look at it.

So most of the map has this rude DEF+50% Enemy Boost +50% effect, and there’s further a No Color Change symbol. The No Color Change is on the same part as us, while the other two symbols are actually on islands that there is no physical access to. On the main area are three Prinnies (who don’t matter because Prinnies are trivial) and a Dragon (who’s an rear end in a top hat). The two islands each have two Zombies and a Witch on them, which is also a bit of a problem since we can catch a lot of spells from them. You want to just kill the No Color Change symbol and get rid of the effects at the start. We then can sort out the Dragon before boarding the islands. So, the Dragon, important note about him! He has an Evility that makes him IMMUNE to Wind damage. I totally forget this and kick myself when I try to Hurricane Slash him and it pops up a big old zero. Whoopsie.

Next map.

Video- “Winter Ridicule”

Watch

No story this time, just a rude map.

So there’s a very small area that provides a large boost to characters whose level is a multiple of seven and greatly increases their elemental resistances. There are four Thieves and five Alraune on the map. We haven’t talked about Thieves yet even though I totally unlocked them back in Episode 1 (they require a level 5 Martial Artist/Fight Mistress). Thieves are okay with Guns and good at stealing. They’ve got kind of poo poo stats, though they’re better than they have been in the past. These four all have Guns and their high movement means they’ll be shooting the poo poo out of us from their first turn. Alraune are a type of monster caster, they’ve got Wind magic and healing and a spear-like attack range. They’re pretty resistant to magical attacks, just hit them hard with physical damage.

Let’s move to the final map of the Episode.

Video- “Silver Witch”

Watch

Sicily ends up in a very familiar dead end.

This is it. You won’t get away this time.
You’re wrong! I’ll just summon something stronger!
FOOL!!!
Ahhhhhh!
Don’t you want to be the Overlord? Why don’t you fight your own battles!?
If you truly dream of becoming the Overlord, why don’t you fight the strongest demon in the Netherworld…me!
If you somehow defeat me, you can run around and call yourself the Overlord or whatever you want.
Are you sure, Prince? You shouldn’t say that lightly.
If she does win, we’ll have an angel for an Overlord… That’s just wrong.
If she wins. But that’s impossible.
Why do you need to fight? She’s just a little girl…
Don’t treat me like a child!
Oh…I’m sorry.
…Okay, Big Brother Overlord.
If that’s what it’s going to take, I just need to do that!
I’ll give it my best!
She seems stronger than I expected.
Are you okay, Laharl?
Uh…I think so.

Here’s the boss map, it’s quite straightforward.

Sicily is accompanied by four Dragons. Let’s look at our literal child of an opponent.

She’s a decent level and has all-around strong stats. She’s got some Book skill and a special kill that’s suspiciously similar to Laharl’s, Angelic Knuckle. She’s also got a really, really strong Evility.

So yeah if it has an element it does 25% damage to her. This is an extremely solid defense against magic and really just skills in general. Regular physical attacks will probably be the best bet. Turn one you want to boil out and knock as much out of those Dragons at the start as you can. Remember that they’re immune to Wind, though. So, series veterans will probably be expecting that Sicily starts next to that Dragon for a reason (in previous games that would generally mean they Magichange on turn 1) and this is the case, she Mounts it on the first enemy turn to give her more durability.

Watch for their Mounted skill, and drop the hammer down after luring her into range. You luckily do strongly outnumber the enemy, so take advantage of this.

Video- “Episode 2 End”

Watch

Wh-What? Why? I can still fight!
Don’t push yourself. We know that you don’t have that much strength left.
Well… Urghhh…
Hmph! And you thought you could become the Overlord? Don’t make me laugh.
Go back to Celestia before I change my mind.
I guess I’m not ready to be the Overlord…
This is really frustrating…but since I can’t beat you, there’s nothing I can do about that, right, Big Brother?
Stop calling me that. It bugs the hell outta me.
What? But as your little sister, what should I call you?

Sicily dropping the bombshells.

…What?
Hey, don’t joke around like that.
I’m not joking. I’m Overlord Krichevskoy’s daughter!
Which would make me Big Brother Laharl’s little sister, right?
Why should I believe that!?
Laharl…has a little sister?
Wait, so you wanted to become the Overlord because…
If Big Brother inherited the title of Overlord, I figured I had the right to do so, too.
I see…
But, I lost…so I’ll go back to Celestia…

And Flonne meddling, as she’s prone to do.

Huh?
Since you were able to find your brother, you should live with him!
With Big Brother…?
Wh-What are you saying!?
How could I have an angel for a sister!? This can’t be true!
He has a point…
Please, Laharl.
I can’t say for sure that everything she’s saying is true.
But what if it is? It would be too cruel to send her back!
You just need to spend some time together. I’m sure all your doubts will clear right up!
* sigh * There she goes again… Whaddaya wanna do, Prince?
…Dammit, going around causing trouble…
Sorry, but I just couldn’t—
Fine! Do whatever you want!

Followed by Laharl being grudgingly forced to show he’s not as big an rear end in a top hat as he seems, as he’s prone to do.

Did you hear that, Sicily!? You don’t have to go back!
R-Really!? Are you sure?
Yes, so let’s be friends, okay?
Yay!
System Message: Sicily joined your party!
(That angel is King Krichevskoy’s daughter? No way…)
(The only kid he had with the Queen is Prince Laharl.)
(And the Queen sacrificed her life to save him, so she’s not around anymore.)
(I wonder what that angel is really up to…)

And that’s the chapter.

Now for another extremely accurate preview of upcoming events courtesy of the loyal Etna.

You’re older than me…
Little sisters start popping up everywhere! It’s nonstop perversion of opportunity! Oh! Don’t look! Big Brother, you’re a pervert!
Being perverted is wrong!

I especially appreciate the blushing Slime, Prinny and Zombie in lipstick, and Male Cleric in this.

An army of little sisters? That’s intense!
We must battle to see who his real little sister is!
Next time on Li’l Sis Taisen Etna Musou, Episode 3: Etna and the Evil Li’l Sis Army! I will avenge your death, Prince!
Wait! When did I die!?
Uhh, Episode 1 …ish?

Next Time, Disgaea D2: News and Sisters. The Prinnies come through, and we invite the Strongest Sisters to the Netherworld.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does losing to this boss start an ending?
Do snowmen do anything or is terrain destruction a thing?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is Li’l Sis Taisen Etna Musou a reference to some anime I don't know about?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Junpei posted:

Is Li’l Sis Taisen Etna Musou a reference to some anime I don't know about?

Dynasty Warriors games all have Musou in the Japanese titles, and the "wars" in Sakura Wars and Super Robot Wars is "Taisen."

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yes I believe it is the Overlord Sicily ending.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ardeem posted:

Dynasty Warriors games all have Musou in the Japanese titles, and the "wars" in Sakura Wars and Super Robot Wars is "Taisen."

Oh, it's a video game reference. I remember Disgaea 3 &4 having "Next episode!" bits referencing anime.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do snowmen do anything or is terrain destruction a thing?

Pretty sure as noted you get a Bad Ending from losing to Sicily yes.

The snowmen are in fact destructible terrain pieces. They must count as enemies technically, which is why the symbols clearing smoked them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

We've got four story characters now, so let's talk about them instead of a generic today. Also note when I'm talking about stats here, I'm comparing them to other story characters. Story characters in general have better stats than generics right now.

The Overlord and His Posse

Laharl:

Weapon Skills: Laharl has an A rank in Swords, Fists, and Axes, B in Spears, Bows, and Staves, C in Guns, and D in Books. I'd generally suggest Swords since they're the most versatile option but Fists and Axes are totally reasonable options as well.

Stats: Laharl is good at everything, with above average HP and ATK and slightly above average SPD.

Evility: Laharl's Evility is Overlord's Dignity, which increases his stats for the map by 10% for each enemy he's killed in that map. Laharl's really strong and this rewards playing really aggressively with him as you should be.

Skills: So before we get to skills, an important note: all unique character skills match their attack stat to our current weapon. So, for example, with a Sword Laharl's trigger off of ATK, but if he had a Fist they'd instead be ATK/SPD.

Blazing Knuckle - The old standby, does a Fire attack to the four tiles adjacent to Laharl. It rewards you for being aggressive just like his Evility, and it's of course great at killing things that are vulnerable to Fire.

Overlord's Wrath - Laharl's signature move, this hits a five tile plus sign shaped area in front of Laharl. It has no element and is reasonably strong, and does certainly give Laharl some AoE options if you went for Axes.

Meteor Impact EX - Meteor Impact has changed a bit, it now hits a large AoE in front of Laharl for heavy non-elemental damage. It's a lot more viable as an AoE option than the old one was.

Overlord Dimension - Laharl gets this awesome skill at a pretty high level (150). It hits a single target within a medium range for truly massive damage.

Etna:

Weapon Skills: Etna is A rank with Spears, Guns, and Axes, B with Staves and Books, and C with Bows, Fists, and Swords. Spears are the old standby for her, but Guns and Axes can also be attractive choices.

Stats: Etna has above average DEF and slightly above average HP, ATK, and HIT.

Evility: Etna's Evility is Sadistic, which increases the damage she does on targets with full health by 50%. It's a bit situational but really, really strong if you're smart about it. It does kind of make Axes more attractive, because it somewhat encourages you to stack raw power and just one-shot things.

Skills:

Prinny Raid - Another returning classic, this hits a single target within a medium range with a bunch of Prinnies for okay damage. Usually you'll use this because you just can't get in range to do anything else, it's not really ideal.

Sexy Beam - A deeply odd attack that is again one of Etna's signatures, this hits a heart-shaped area (only the outside mind) for okay damage. Sometimes the odd area will be useful, sometimes it won't.

Chaos Impact - A much better attack, this hits all eight tiles around Etna for high damage. Given she's got solid defenses, it's a perfect move for her.

Dead End Chaos - We actually have to unlock this in the Assembly (I think in the postgame). It's a massively powerful single target attack with a pretty long range, and combo'd with Sadistic and some good equipment Etna could be totally viable for use long into the postgame.

Flonne:

Weapon Skill: Flonne has a mighty S rank in Staves, A in Bows and Books, B in Guns, C in Swords and Spears, and D in Fists and Axes. Staves are what she does and generally if you give her something else you want to have a good reason.

Stats: Flonne has very high RES, above average SP, INT, and HIT, but does have slightly below average SPD. She's also pretty resistant to all forms of elemental damage.

Evility: Flonne's Heart of Affection increases her stats for the rest of the map by 10% every time she heals a damaged target to full HP. It's actually pretty easy to scum up a gross amount of bonus stats out of this and many a map going poorly could suddenly swing around because you've got a double power Flonne able to beast her way through everything.

Skills:

Love Knuckle - A single target skill with a moderate range. It's reasonably damaging and non-elemental, and is a good option if you don't have a spell that's more appropriate.

Holy Arrows - Hits a cross-shaped area significantly forward of Flonne's position. It's got a lot of range for its area, which can make it a good option.

Flonnezilla - An attack popular amongst the hardest of core. Hits a cross-shaped area with flexible targeting in a moderate range. Why would you not want to see Flonne dressed as a space monster destroying a crude set and the enemy?

Extreme Love! - This is another attack we don't get through leveling. It hits a large area in a short range around Flonne for decent damage.

Spells: Flonne learns the whole Healing tree and Espoir naturally. You should get her elemental and Star magic as well, because that's in practical terms her best damage source.

Sicily:

Weapon Skills: Sicily has an S rank with Books, an A with Staves, B with Spears, C with Bows, Guns, and Axes, and D with Fists and Swords. Just give her a Book, that's what an S rank tells you.

Stats: Sicily has above average INT and slightly above average HP and RES. She's also slightly resistant to all elements, which is deceptive because...

Evility: Sicily's Li'l Sis Aura decreases the elemental damage she takes by 75%. If it's got an element Sicily does not give two fucks because it's going to be doing less than 20% of what it would normally.

Skills:

Angelic Knuckle - This is Blazing Knuckle without the elemental damage type. It's good for getting things out of Sicily's face, and equally good for things that her elemental defenses make her basically immune to.

Prinny Parade - This in turn is Overlord's Wrath with a different wrapper. Funny about that.

Sicily Delivery - This however is not one of Laharl's moves. It hits a cross area for heavy Ice damage and is pretty good.

Spells: Sicily knows Shield and Magic Wall (which increase DEF and RES respectively). Getting her other spells is always a good option, though Books don't lend themselves to offensive casting so much as using their Skills.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I can't help but notice that no one is mentioning that Sicily has red eyes: that makes her either a fallen angel, or a half devil. She also (kinda?) has Laharl's hair, so...she's maybe she's telling the truth? Maybe an alternate dimension Laharl?

Also, the other demons might actually know you're the Overlord if you didn't keep running off to other people's games, Laharl: Overlords may not seem to do anything other than fight, but they still need to make an appearance or two in their own drat realm!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, the other demons might actually know you're the Overlord if you didn't keep running off to other people's games, Laharl: Overlords may not seem to do anything other than fight, but they still need to make an appearance or two in their own drat realm!
D2 takes place before 2, 3 and 4. If you're wondering about 5, there's a epilouge that makes people (myself included) think 5 is a prequel.

Oh, Feinne. Which of the six main character's Overloads in 5 is your favorite?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sweet, Flonne can actually learn magic on her own this time. I wasn't a fan of having to give her pupils to make her useful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Lipstick-wearing Prinny nearly made me choke from laughing so much.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

D2 takes place before 2, 3 and 4. If you're wondering about 5, there's a epilouge that makes people (myself included) think 5 is a prequel.

Oh, Feinne. Which of the six main character's Overloads in 5 is your favorite?

Overloads? Murmur of Rage no contest.

Update probably Friday, I've got content but want to get a bit more ahead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sure is nice they overcame that boring 100% in everything aptitude that every special NPC had in D1, except Thursday.

Question for a different NIS game: Did anyone get accepted into the beta for Phantom Brave? I thought they were supposed to announce it instead of being silent on the thing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let's look at a couple of monster classes today (update should be tomorrow, since I managed to get some recording done earlier).

The Monster Mash, Part 1

So, first remember that monsters don't have Weapon Mastery at all. They do now often have odd attack ranges that simulate actually using an weapon, though.

Ghosts:

Stats: Ghosts have low HP, ATK, DEF, and SPD, but make up for it with very high SP and solid INT, RES, and HIT. They're vulnerable to Fire, but resist Ice and Wind.

Evilities: Ghost Evilities revolve around SP. They're all pretty bad, honestly.

Mind Break - Inflict 25% of damage dealt to SP as well. Annoying on enemies but largely useless for us, since in practice you won't be running things out of SP before they're dead.

Generate Pain - 50% of damage taken recovers SP. This is okay, but in practice ghosts have terrible HP and die too fast to really benefit.

Astral Body - As long as SP remains, HP damage taken will be inflicted to SP. This is a pretty solid defense with the big downside being that a Ghost with no SP is useless.

Skills:

Ignis Fatuus: A short range single target fire attack. It's a little stronger than Fire I guess, but pretty blah.

Micro Bomber: A fire attack against a single target in a line in front of the Ghost. Stronger than Ignis Fatuus but again kind of redundant.

Puppet Show: A non-elemental attack against a single target in a long line in front of the Ghost. Powerful and can cause the Deprave status, this is actually pretty okay.

Never Forget You: A non-elemental attack against three tiles in a decent range around the Ghost. It's pretty solid, and good against enemies with fire resistance.

Dimension Eater X: The Mounted Skill. Hits a cross area in a large range for heavy damage, and way better than any of the normal skills.

Spells: Ghosts learn Fire spells through Omega. Monsters don't generally learn Tera spells, but it's easy enough to get them.

Prinny:

Stats: Prinnies have slightly below average HP and INT, but above average SP, HIT, and SPD. They're a bit vulnerable to Fire but resist Ice.

Evilities: These are all explosion-based.

Explosive Body - Deals damage with a range of two equal to 50% of remaining HP. This is the original Prinny effect. It should be noted that any exploding Prinny detonates any other exploding Prinny, and that a friendly Prinny exploding in any way does NOT count as an ally kill.

Bomb Conversion - Deal damage with a range of one equal to 100% of remaining HP. This is probably the 'best' Prinny effect, since it lets a full health Prinny do some mad damage to a single target.

Cross Bomber - Deals damage in straight lines of five panels equal to 50% of remaining HP. These explosions hit a wide area, and are a big part of Prinny gimmick maps.

Skills:

Prinny Blizzard: Hits a single target a few tiles away for light Ice damage. It's okay, not like Prinnies have ranged options.

Prinny Dance: Hits the tiles on either side of the Prinny and the ones just in front of those for a bit of damage and can cause Sleep and Stun. The status is more effective than the damage really.

Thousand Prinnies: Hits a cross shaped area directly in front of the Prinny for light damage. A good AoE option but sadly pretty weak.

Code Prinny: Hits the four tiles around the Prinny for okay Star damage. Basically poo poo Blazing Knuckle.

Bomber Dood: Mounted Skill. Hits a single target in a moderate area for okay damage. Is pretty okay honestly.

Spells: Prinnies actually get a spell! Speed Boost is a buff to the SPD stat.

Mothmen:

Stats: Mothmen have poor HP and EXTREMELY poor DEF, but in return have increased SPD and RES. They are vulnerable to Wind but resist Fire and Ice. They have the Flying movement type, which allows them to bypass obstacles that would normally block movement such as enemies. They also have a two-tile attack range, like a Spear.

Evilities: Mothman Evilities effect all enemies on the map, and are related to status effects.

Poison Accelerator - Increase poison damage dealt to enemy units on map by 50%. This effect can make Poison really drat brutal given it's a %health damage effect, and especially since it stacks. You'll run into maps where this is part of the gimmick, so be careful.

Full of Miasma - Enemy units are 30% more likely to be inflicted with status ailments. Probably the most useful of the three, can make status positively reliable. Status effects are almost all amazing, and Mothmen do have some uses thanks to their high movement, so this is what I'd pick if I wanted to use a Mothman (I don't, I use a DLC character who is way better and also Flies in that role).

Lengthen Ailment - Status ailments will last three turns longer on enemy units. Also solid if you're big on status but you shouldn't be big on status, just kill things. Dead enemies don't need to be poisoned.

Skills:

Super Hypno Ray: Hits three tiles shortly in front of the Mothman for a bit of damage and causes Sleep. A solid move and very annoying when enemies use it.

Mothplosion: Hits a single target within a short range for okay damage and can Stun. Stun's pretty great against enemies that are good at dodging, since it drops SPD to 1.

Moth Field: Hits a cross area in a small range for kind of blah damage given how high level the skill is and can cause the Forget status, which is a bit of a mixed bag really. It's an AoE option, though.

Sunset Lullaby: Hits a single target in a medium range for heavy damage but no status. Still, it's actually really powerful for a monster skill.

Moth Tornado: Mounted Skill. Hits a three tile line a bit in front of the Mothman. It's okay, and given a Mothman is so fast you've actually got a decent incentive to Mount one.

Spells: Mothmen learn the status spells Poison, Stun, and Slumber. Status spells can be a bit unreliable, though they're better than they generally have been in the past.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Given that the last Disgaea game I played was 2, it's kind of a shock to see monsters actually learn spells. Is it enough to make monsters in general worth using? The lack of masteries, inability to pick up other units (as part of throw chains), limited weapon options, and (in Disgaea 1) uninteresting stat aptitudes made them generally not very tempting. Though the Nekomata hadoken and their high counter rate/count was handy enough to justify having a catgirl on the squad from time to time.

EDIT: vvv the Item World is awesome for when you just want to play some tactical RPG and don't care about plot. When I played D2, after I finished the plot I spent about as much time playing as I'd spent up to that point, just running the Item World ad nauseam.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 2, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So...is there any practical reason to use early game monsters? Mothmen might be OK for speedrunning the item world early (good lord do I hate the time sink that is item world), but that's pretty much all I can think of.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given that the last Disgaea game I played was 2, it's kind of a shock to see monsters actually learn spells. Is it enough to make monsters in general worth using? The lack of masteries, inability to pick up other units (as part of throw chains), limited weapon options, and (in Disgaea 1) uninteresting stat aptitudes made them generally not very tempting. Though the Nekomata hadoken and their high counter rate/count was handy enough to justify having a catgirl on the squad from time to time.

There are a few Monster types that are super useful later on, and I'll definitely be using some generic Monsters later. Monster casters are honestly almost a bit broken, though we don't have access to the really nice ones yet like Succubi and Sea Angels. There are also some really baller DLC monster characters like Desco and Metallia we'll want to make use of.

thetruegentleman posted:

So...is there any practical reason to use early game monsters? Mothmen might be OK for speedrunning the item world early (good lord do I hate the time sink that is item world), but that's pretty much all I can think of.

The first monster type you unlock that I'd consider using for serious is the Alraune but they're just okay and I don't really have a slot for them.

Oh and next character update will be for the STRONGEST SISTERS, our first bonus characters and the reason I don't have a character using an Axe yet. Because why half-rear end things when I know I'm getting The Best At Axes?

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
I remember really liking mothmen for getting deep into the item worlds.

Then I finally killed prinny baal and walked away from 300 hours of disgaea. :P

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, Feinne, quick question, since you mentioned Stella Glow before: Would you consider LP'ing it in the future?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

Oh, Feinne, quick question, since you mentioned Stella Glow before: Would you consider LP'ing it in the future?

If I can work out a way to actually capture 3DS footage I'd certainly consider it, it's a cool game. I actually still need to finish it, I'm on like the second to last map but a million new things keep coming out like Dark Souls 3 and Atelier Sophie next week (after how great Shallie was I'm cautiously optimistic that Gust might well be catering to the me, the crazy fucker who wants to be able to gently caress around with alchemy all day without the game punishing you for it demographic).

God and the Odin Sphere re-release is coming out like late in the month, so excited. Maybe, just maybe, the PS4 is enough to render Odin Sphere's sprites without slowdown. Maybe. Certainly if anyone can find a way to choke a PS4 with 2d artwork it's Vanillaware though.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 3, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Isn't Odin Sphere next week? I know Zero Escape 3 is the end of the month...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Isn't Odin Sphere next week? I know Zero Escape 3 is the end of the month...

poo poo is it? I thought it was later. Not that I'm unhappy, I am loving pumped to get back to getting my rear end reamed by gorgeous fantasy monsters.

I still find it funny that Odin Sphere had difficulty settings given the easiest one was still like Dark Souls gently caress you in the rear end hard.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's your favorite Conduct Song? Mine's a 3-way tie between Rusty Key, Cherry Blossom and Ice World.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

What's your favorite Conduct Song? Mine's a 3-way tie between Rusty Key, Cherry Blossom and Ice World.

Ice World is really nice, though they're all pretty okay.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

poo poo is it? I thought it was later. Not that I'm unhappy, I am loving pumped to get back to getting my rear end reamed by gorgeous fantasy monsters.

I still find it funny that Odin Sphere had difficulty settings given the easiest one was still like Dark Souls gently caress you in the rear end hard.

Like in Cornelius' story. Your first boss? Gwen's story final boss, and gently caress you.

Considering Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, the remake should have a difficulty curve instead of a cliff. (although, it was a really, really pretty cliff)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It wasn't even the bosses that drove me nuts, it was the giant unbreakable walls of mooks who all stacked up and attacked you in unison.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, I brickwalled in Odin Sphere when trying to win a bossfight with the crossbow fairy girl where the bosses kept teleporting and had invincible minions all over the place. But the mob fights where you could just randomly get hit by the guy you're comboing were kind of irritating too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, I brickwalled in Odin Sphere when trying to win a bossfight with the crossbow fairy girl where the bosses kept teleporting and had invincible minions all over the place. But the mob fights where you could just randomly get hit by the guy you're comboing were kind of irritating too.

I do believe Mercedes gets to fight a Wizard, yes. Wizards suck.

Omobono posted:

Like in Cornelius' story. Your first boss? Gwen's story final boss, and gently caress you.

Considering Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, the remake should have a difficulty curve instead of a cliff. (although, it was a really, really pretty cliff)

Hot Odin Sphere Tips: Shine makes Odette super easy, because it lets you kill her summons as they come up.

I'm working on the update now, later tonight at some point.

• Locked thread