Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Please help peoples. I need some sanity checks on this. Skip to the bolded text if you aren't interested in my reasoning.

As some of you know, I've had an ongoing saga with my shittastic cursed awful e46 330i. I've replaced a litany of parts (not counting suspension) already, and it's in the shop again because I couldn't diagnose what was wrong with lean codes on my own. Right now I'm up to $500 to get it fixed in the shop and we don't have a fix yet (they did fix a bad cam position sensor). I've compared this shop's rates and it's fair. Right now I have a fueling issue or a vacuum leak and it's going to cost !??! to fix it. It's so frustrating because when the car runs well it's a total delight to drive.

I'm done with German cars. The parts are more expensive, the electronics are much more finicky and they're incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. BMWs aren't bad to work on, so I'll give them that. The problem is that figuring out what's wrong is a goddamn nightmare.

Like many of you, I have a problem. A Prius won't fill that hole in my heart. I tried to be responsible and bought something only kinda AI, a 2014 Mazda 3 with a 6 speed manual. It's a great car! The gas mileage is great. The shifter is great. It even handles well. But: it's gutless (after a modded WRX) and front wheel drive (after a 240SX, Miata, and WRX) and I just couldn't do it. My wife now daily drives the car.

My requirements are as follows:

Under ~10k because we don't want another car payment.
RWD or AWD
4+ doors (wagon or hatch ++ bonus goodness) Because babies is gonna be a thing
0-60 in around 7 seconds or better
Preferably Japanese? I'm willing to look at something American
Under 4000lbs
If it's automatic, a relatively easy conversion to a manual.
If it's a softroadthing it must be easy to put down to car ride height.
I'm biased against transverse engine layouts. This may not be rational.

No rust. I'm in the Southeast and I don't want to put up with it.

I'm in North Carolina zip 27703 but willing to travel as far south as Miami (easy excuse to see family) and as far west as I dunno, the Mississippi?

I've been considering:

05-09 Outback 3.0
+Wagon!
Subaru legos means easy to lower and easy to make a manual.
- ??

99-2004 Lexus GS 300 or 400/430
Lexus reliability
Higher miles than the outback (probably)
Easy enough manual conversion
*Future boost on the 300, would leave the 4.3 alone

2nd Generation Caddy CTS 3.6 sedan
Manuals exist, if rare
? Reliability

05+ WRX Wagon/Hatch
+Wagon/Hatch
Pretty light!
Fun!
I'm familiar and owned one for ~5 years until I though it was going to 'splode.
-The EJ is gonna blow up one day
-Non STi steering rack is meh.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Also considering a manual G35 sedan too.
-Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan
+already fast enough
+already manual
? reliability

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Forester 2.5XT

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think you could get an Acura TL with AWD and a manual.

Other than that, your requirements are almost impossible to fill. You may want to consider getting a commuter and keeping the BMW as a fun car.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

rdb posted:

I think you could get an Acura TL with AWD and a manual.

Other than that, your requirements are almost impossible to fill. You may want to consider getting a commuter and keeping the BMW as a fun car.

That will still trigger his hatred of transverse engines.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Welcome back to Subaru ownership amigo. It's the only game in town.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Buick Roadmaster. I don't care what requirements it doesn't meet, they're rad. :colbert:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Used 2012 or newer Chevy caprice.

Example

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...426418173&Log=0

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Buick Roadmaster. I don't care what requirements it doesn't meet, they're rad. :colbert:

This or the 3.0 subaru. Stay away from EJ25s like you already said.

I don't think a stock Roadmaster does 0-60 in 7 seconds or less, but I bet you can make it happen with a denmah turboed vortec, which bolts right to the stock transmission. And Roadmasters are all old enough that the wiring shouldn't be difficult.

e: holy poo poo, zeroto60times.com says a '95 Roadmaster (94-96 had the LT1 :siren:CORVETTE MOTOR:siren:) will do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Not sure if wagon or sedan version.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 17, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
IS300 Sportback with 1UZ and mantran swap

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Are G8's low enough in price now?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
5.9 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

~$5-7k
AWD
4 doors
0-60 in 7 seconds
American
4300 lbs
maybe easy to swap to manual? I don't think they came in standard
Plenty of Jeep Lego options for raising and lowering (I assume...)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are G8's low enough in price now?

No, they're ridiculous if you want a V8. They seem to hold their value well for some reason, they are nice but not that special imo.

Infinity is pretty drat reliable, I was considering an EX35 but ended up getting a Lexus.

I'd go for a GS or LS, maybe even an IS. We just got a LS430 and it's fantastic.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Only correct answer. Swap in a manual, I betcha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Astonishing Wang posted:

5.9 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

~$5-7k
AWD
4 doors
0-60 in 7 seconds
American
4300 lbs
maybe easy to swap to manual? I don't think they came in standard
Plenty of Jeep Lego options for raising and lowering (I assume...)

You can swap them to manual but it's not particularly simple, there are some NLA parts like the shifter boot and stuff that trip most people up. You'll need to choose a transmission (obvious choices are NV3500 - not great - and NV4500 - expensive), get the ECU tuned, and make driveshafts and a crossmember. Probably a thread about it on a 5.9 ZJ specific forum or NAGCA somewhere. Only 4.0L ones came with a manual, and the only mantrans choices for the V8 have the shift turret located differently from the 4.0L setup, so you may have to customize the floor, center console, and/or shift lever as well, I'm not sure, just throwing the warning out there.

Also they only ever made a thousand of them with manuals (~600 93s and ~400 94s) and I currently have in my possession one of the pedal sets from them. I'm not allowed to sell it because it's a friend's but he said I could take measurements off it so everyone on the internet can make their own ZJ mantrans pedal sets after he's sold this set.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm gonna be the contrian here and say that you're gonna take a bath on every option except for fixing your E46. I'm willing to bet that your problems are caused by something you've overlooked.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Here ya go, fly-and-drive for $6,700.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That thing is probably rusty as hell. My GF drove hers from WA and it has zero rust... I actually bothered to buy a fluidfilm gun to protect it from the saltbath up here. So far so good, but we're looking for a winter beater for her to keep the salt off it in the future.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Roadmasters are cool and all but if you notice every car I suggested isn't a barge. I've never liked driving anything bigger than a midsized car.

MrChips posted:

I'm gonna be the contrian here and say that you're gonna take a bath on every option except for fixing your E46. I'm willing to bet that your problems are caused by something you've overlooked.

The problem is that the random "fix some broken poo poo/pay for diagnostics because I'm not a BMW DME wizard with a smoke machine" issues on the e46 are gradually adding up, and I want to get some money back out of it before it fails in really ugly fashion. I've already been paying $270 a month to keep the car on the road (spreadsheet verified). That does not include $1350 for a brand new suspension rebuild that I mostly did at Adiabatic's

Some of it was when I got over my head doing diagnostics. Each time it has been something I would have not been able to figure out myself or didn't have time to fix. This does not include tires or suspension.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Roadmasters are cool and all but if you notice every car I suggested isn't a barge. I've never liked driving anything bigger than a midsized car.

You probably wouldn't like a Lexus LS then, it's definitely designed for comfort and although it handles MUCH better than any body on frame barge, it's not sniffing a 3 series. I'd say if you want to look at a Lexus go for an IS, maybe a GS but those are a bit on the big side as well. There are manual IS's out there, if you find one snatch that poo poo up asap.

[e] Not manual cars, but to get an idea:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5584051887.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5535026715.html

Also you can use lexusdrivers.com to search any Lexus VIN and pull up the maintenance records if it was serviced at a dealer.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 18, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hello, the caprice is the poor mans G8 same car, lower price.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

leica posted:

You probably wouldn't like a Lexus LS then, it's definitely designed for comfort and although it handles MUCH better than any body on frame barge, it's not sniffing a 3 series. I'd say if you want to look at a Lexus go for an IS, maybe a GS but those are a bit on the big side as well. There are manual IS's out there, if you find one snatch that poo poo up asap.

[e] Not manual cars, but to get an idea:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5584051887.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5535026715.html

Also you can use lexusdrivers.com to search any Lexus VIN and pull up the maintenance records if it was serviced at a dealer.

I'm definitely going to test drive the GS and 3.0 Outback because I've never driven them before. I'd like something with a little more back seat than what I have now, which is why I did not initially list the IS.

That's super helpful man, thanks.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

They're 2k out of the budget. It would be nice but it's more than we want to spend.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'd say IS300 or a GS. You're kinda stuck between Lexus and Subaru with your price range and requirements if you want to stay Japanese. You might be able to find a decent WRX if it's automatic, but finding a manual WRX or Evo for that matter in that range will be looking for trouble. The IS300 is a pretty simple swap to manual, and really easy to turbocharge later on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
AMC Eagle :colbert:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mazdaspeed 6? AWD, turbo, 6 speed MT. They're not wagons but I remember my dad's being pretty nice. He had a Black Cherry Mica (I think that's the name of the paint) one and I gave him poo poo for driving a purple car (I was secretly jealous though, it was way more cool than my car at the time).

Edit: transverse engine layout. Missed that part of your OP.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 18, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

I'm definitely going to test drive the GS and 3.0 Outback because I've never driven them before. I'd like something with a little more back seat than what I have now, which is why I did not initially list the IS.

That's super helpful man, thanks.

The problem with the GS is ricers/stancers like them, so half the GS's you'll see are riced or stanced. Also just in general most of them were ragged out and being sold by dealers, I had a really hard time finding any worth a poo poo and never actually got to drive one. On the flip side, lots of LS's, and most of them were very well taken care of.

I guess you shouldn't completely rule out an LS, drive one and see what you think. You could always add a more performance oriented suspension, and it doesn't have a lack of power that's for sure.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

leica posted:

I guess you shouldn't completely rule out an LS, drive one and see what you think. You could always add a more performance oriented suspension, and it doesn't have a lack of power that's for sure.

American option: The first few years of the Lincoln LS V6 were available with a manual transmission and we're built on a pretty solid platform shared with the Jaaaaaaaaaag S-type. Too bad they're balls slow with only 210hp (remember when this was a respectable number from a 3 liter V6?) and impossible to find. My grandmother still drives her 2003 (auto) and it's been a solid car. Actually, it was the first car I drove that made me appreciate things like RWD, steering, and weight distribution (they made sure to put the battery in the trunk because weight!)

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Can someone tell me specifically what is wrong with the ej25? I asked in the Subaru thread but no answer.

From what I have been able to ascertain it is a problem car running lean for too long as it starts building up boost, so I got my car tuned and the wizard did it said that the problem is fixed and I shouldn't have a blown engine in the future. Is this bullshit?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uhhhh, maybe one of the 99-01 Integra GS-R sedans? They never sold the GS-R Sedan here, but the Coupes are fantastic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elephanthead posted:

That's confusing as gently caress - in Aussieland the Caprice is the LWB luxury with all the bells and whistles but still sporty version. Your Caprice is rent spec (Our Omega)

fickle poofterist posted:

Can someone tell me specifically what is wrong with the ej25? I asked in the Subaru thread but no answer.

From what I have been able to ascertain it is a problem car running lean for too long as it starts building up boost, so I got my car tuned and the wizard did it said that the problem is fixed and I shouldn't have a blown engine in the future. Is this bullshit?

The USA tune has some leanout issues apparently, the oil pickup can snap in earlier ones as well, tuners like to push too much out of the stock short block. Othe than that, no there's actually not much wrong with them other than "Original design is now approahing 20 years old", which may or may not even be an issue depending on your point of view.

Back on subject - last of the 5 speed Forester XT's would be my call. Easily able to handle a kid and Lord knows what else, plus you know there's the whole stupid quick wagon thing. That or the Outback.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

Mazdaspeed 6? AWD, turbo, 6 speed MT. They're not wagons but I remember my dad's being pretty nice. He had a Black Cherry Mica (I think that's the name of the paint) one and I gave him poo poo for driving a purple car (I was secretly jealous though, it was way more cool than my car at the time).

Edit: transverse engine layout. Missed that part of your OP.

Speed6s are good cars but not really easy to work on. Screw it, I'll keep an eye out for one too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A Saab 9-2x Aero is the same thing as a WRX wagon, and it has the STi steering rack that you seemed to note liking in the first post. Still has the EJ though that will either blow up on blow up the 5 speed. Powertrain roulette :v:

2005s have the 2.0L, and the 2006s have the 2.5L but they're extremely rare. I think there were about 235 manual ones in 06. I had one for a little bit, got lucky and found one and bought it immediately. They're a little softer than WRX's but our roads are lovely enough it doesn't matter (Michigan). Interior is slightly nicer with the seats and door panels and supposedly more sound deadening. They're usually cheaper than WRXs to boot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

fickle poofterist posted:

Some of them blow head gaskets
Some crack oil pickups
Some blow ringlands on the stock tune
Some scrub the rod bearings
Some have stupid filter screens in the banjo bolts for the turbo oil return so they plug up, scrub the turbo bearings, and 5-10k later after replacing the turbo the metal contamination in the oil has ruined the rod/main bearings
Some have catted uppipes that disintegrate and do something horrible to the turbo/engine

Which EJ25 are you asking about specifically? :v: my car had the HGs done 3 times by the PPO, then the PO had to do them and the headbolt holes stripped out, he scrapped the motor, I bought it motorless, put an EJ22 in, ran it out of oil and spun a rod bearing (not its fault), slammed an EJ251 in in a weekend only to find out it already had rod knock when I bought it.

gently caress EJ25s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did the 3.0 Flat 6 need premium or was that only for the SVX?

Also as a side regarding EJ25, did they fix the HG issues? I was under the impression they did by 2010+ or so?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Volvo 940/960?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Volvo 940/960?

Slow as balls.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Speed6s are good cars but not really easy to work on. Screw it, I'll keep an eye out for one too.

Not really considered reliable these days though are they? Seems like all of them have been ragged on by now, it's like trying to find a used EVO that hasn't been abused. Call me nuts, but I'd be apprehensive buying any used turbo car (WRX, GTi, EVO, Mazdaspeed).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Not really considered reliable these days though are they? Seems like all of them have been ragged on by now, it's like trying to find a used EVO that hasn't been abused. Call me nuts, but I'd be apprehensive buying any used turbo car (WRX, GTi, EVO, Mazdaspeed).

Same here. What scares me about cheapish turbocar owners is the SRT-4; every single one has vanished, seemingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
You've dumped a lot of new parts into the e46 with your shotgun blast parts replacement method. Why not just spend the $$$ to have professionals finish the job and get it running nicely? Buying a used sports car under 10k isn't going to be without problems and it won't drive as nice as your e46.

• Locked thread