Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in to give you an update. I've got my mic stand situation fixed, but rather than have 1/3rd of my videos get ContentID'd due to licensed music I've decided to go through and replace all of those tracks with stuff that has a more forgiving license. I'm trying to keep things in the same spirit so hopefully nothing feels too out of place. Should be good to do more episodes in a couple days. Thanks to Nordick for letting me know the songs are just sitting in a folder in the install directory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Beach Party
We follow up on Carson and go get ourselves some explosives.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Hooray!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aw, you didn't use the seduction line to get in. :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Aw, you didn't use the seduction line to get in. :v:

Instant regret. :heysexy:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

E's obviously supposed to be Australian, but he's really inconsistent about it, like how he pronounces "can't" like an American and says "ain't". And the way he says "sport" is just really weird, like maybe he slipped into a totally different accent for a moment? I don't like it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
The moment I heard "Content ID" I pretty much guessed that licensed soundtrack was at fault :black101: Shame, Smaller God is amazing track and reason to hang out with those thinbloods.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
And so once again, it happens, I come from my lurking because of a vampire thread, Glad to see you again Vicissitude, you always know the best stuff, so I'll ask a question, tell us about the Malkavians please, as they were always my favorites, anything you feel we should know? Tell us about Malkav maybe, as I never did feel I learned enough about him

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JackNapier posted:

And so once again, it happens, I come from my lurking because of a vampire thread, Glad to see you again Vicissitude, you always know the best stuff, so I'll ask a question, tell us about the Malkavians please, as they were always my favorites, anything you feel we should know? Tell us about Malkav maybe, as I never did feel I learned enough about him

Malkav and the Malkavians are part of a really odd streak of glorifying mental illness in the World of Darkness. Each of the lines had some form (clan, tribe, tradition) of completely insane beings who derived great insight or other powers from being insane. I've never been quite sure if this was just wish-fulfillment from writers taking Zoloft or what.

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Malkavian_Antediluvian

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ulmont posted:

Malkav and the Malkavians are part of a really odd streak of glorifying mental illness in the World of Darkness. Each of the lines had some form (clan, tribe, tradition) of completely insane beings who derived great insight or other powers from being insane. I've never been quite sure if this was just wish-fulfillment from writers taking Zoloft or what.

I think it's supposed to be themed around the whole lovecraftian "knowledge man was not meant to know thing", but it never really worked out that way.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

JackNapier posted:

Good to be back, Jack :)

Malkav was different, even before he was Embraced. Supposedly he was some kind of oracle and could receive knowledge beyond the mortal realm. Whatever it was, it caused him to suffer for the knowledge. Fits, fugues, fevers, other F words, he fell victim to all of them at one time or another. After he became a vampire, those insights he gained in his madness allowed him to manipulate reality through his delusions as the Discipline Dementation. Hell, a tier 8 power is called Deny, and you can simply make something vanish from your perceptions and, since it doesn't exist for you, it can't affect you in the least.

When the 3rd generation vampires rose up against their sires and killed them, Caine came and passed judgement on the clans. Malkav's curse was that he and his clan would forever be bound to his madness. Every one of them has a derangement. This doesn't always make them completely incoherent, though some vampires rise utterly catatonic or raging, or whatever. The Malkavians always keep them, never destroying them. But that's a story for later. The point is that Malkav himself got worse and wandered to the east. Eventually he was found and devoured by an unknown assailant as he was in torpor. That would normally be the end of the story, but Malkav was different, remember? Whether there was already a natural connection between himself and his childer or if he created one between their shared madness we'll never know. But all Malkavians have a connection to what they call the Malkavian Madness Network. The voices in their heads are real (usually), the voices of living and past Malkavians who still have things to say and do.

A lot of people tend to write off the Malks as kooky goofballs, childishly carrying around a teddy bear, often referred to as "fishmalks" thanks to this adorable picture:

But that's not where the madness is. A malkavian regressing to childlike behavior could be terrifying. Imagine throwing a tantrum with all the gifts of vampirism, the blood and the disciplines. Especially with Dementation thrown in, making everyone see horrible visions and inflaming their emotions. Or what about finding "mommy" out on the street and following her home? Using Dementation to manipulate the emotions of the household until something, or someone finally breaks. A Malkavian with a self-annihilation complex might have an episode and throw himself in front of a truck, only to horrify people by getting up and trying to walk away, putting the whole Masquerade at risk.

But there are upsides. It's just a matter of finding someone with a complementary madness to their role. An OCD accountant would be perfect for finding the loopholes in tax laws to maximize the Prince's returns, or perhaps finding out where his political rival slipped up. A quick call to the IRS would wreak merry havoc and allow the Prince to move in while everything's hitting the fan. A sociopath might be the one you want as the Scourge, doing the unsavory things the Sheriff can't be seen doing. Bottom line is, there is no set "type" for a Malkavian vampire, except perhaps that most are already a little touched before the Embrace.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ulmont posted:

The malkavian clanboom has a whole section decrying the rise of antipsychotic medication because it normalized being crazy.

Old school WoD stuff was basically made by a bunch of semi-racist suburban teens in Georgia when it started and towards the end switched from exoticism (clan Ravnos aka clan "literally a walking Roma stereotype" and clan Brujah aka clan "literally urban minorities") to weird over the top bombast.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Vicissitude posted:

But there are upsides. It's just a matter of finding someone with a complementary madness to their role. An OCD accountant would be perfect for finding the loopholes in tax laws to maximize the Prince's returns, or perhaps finding out where his political rival slipped up. A quick call to the IRS would wreak merry havoc and allow the Prince to move in while everything's hitting the fan. A sociopath might be the one you want as the Scourge, doing the unsavory things the Sheriff can't be seen doing. Bottom line is, there is no set "type" for a Malkavian vampire, except perhaps that most are already a little touched before the Embrace.

The more powerful ones, who are unfortunately also usually the crazier ones, also often possess a fragment of Malkav's oracular talents. Giving them occasional Insights (and yes, the capital letter is important) into knowledge that they should have no way of knowing. Usually it's some random unimportant thing, but sometimes it's a key piece of an enemy plan or a secret conspiracy. Which a clever Prince can turn into a major advantage. The trick is of course sifting the gold from the dross, but a surprisingly large number of Princes are willing to try.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Vive la Freedom
We attempt to pull off a daring rescue or two, and have our first official boss fight!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Stroth posted:

The more powerful ones, who are unfortunately also usually the crazier ones, also often possess a fragment of Malkav's oracular talents. Giving them occasional Insights (and yes, the capital letter is important) into knowledge that they should have no way of knowing. Usually it's some random unimportant thing, but sometimes it's a key piece of an enemy plan or a secret conspiracy. Which a clever Prince can turn into a major advantage. The trick is of course sifting the gold from the dross, but a surprisingly large number of Princes are willing to try.

Yup. One of the Black Hand shakars (removers) once noticed a Malk cowering in the corner muttering "don't look directly at it, don't look directly at it". A quick glance at an almanac revealed that there was a solar eclipse coming up soon. It took a lot of work to plan an assassination on a Camarilla official with a window of only, like, 11 minutes but they pulled it off. You can only imagine how surprised the victim was. All Malkavians have a bit of Malkav's gift. It's just a matter of weeding out the real nuggets of insight from the babble of madness.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you can feed on any human you're fighting, but you need to have enough unarmed combat.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Just so you guys are aware, I rerecorded the club section of episode 4 and did a reupload due to the ContentID issue. You're not missing anything by not watching it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I replaced all the licensed music in the game and you can check the YouTube description of any video to find links to the tracks I've selected.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Going into Gimble's was the first big scare I had playing this game for the first time. Didn't know WHAT was going on or what was going to come out of that last door. First really big sell on the idea that the WoD had some really monstrous bullshit going on even without the vampires, ghosts, werewolves, and so on.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, the whole thing of WoD is that it's our world but with a healthy dose of, well, darkness to it. It's a place where abuse and debasement are more common than our world. People give in far easier to their base urges and don't need that extra little push from an outside force most of the time. There's far more moral ambiguity and justification among the human population. Once you throw the supernatural creatures who, by nature, are above/below/beyond humanity, things get even more grey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

I think you can feed on any human you're fighting, but you need to have enough unarmed combat.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an exception for certain named characters. Or it might just be very difficult. :shrug:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - The Other Sister
We meet up with Jeanette's sister Therese who offers us a deal, and we return to the clinic to pull off a heist for some special blood.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What the heck kind of static did you replace the Asylum music with? :stare:

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an exception for certain named characters. Or it might just be very difficult. :shrug:
The only exception I can think of is a boss fight much later. Other than that every fight against a human I'm very certain I've fed on the opponent in some playthrough.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'd just reload when I got caught like that. Also, I could have sworn that upstairs area was a combat zone and you could just kill that dude. Maybe it's different in the Plus version, or maybe I'm misremembering. You could certainly afford to just murder him and take the humanity hit since he's the only one up there.

Poil posted:

The only exception I can think of is a boss fight much later. Other than that every fight against a human I'm very certain I've fed on the opponent in some playthrough.
That later one was what I was thinking of, but if that is an exception then there may be other exceptions too. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

That later one was what I was thinking of, but if that is an exception then there may be other exceptions too. :shrug:
Maybe, but I can't remember any.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

I'd just reload when I got caught like that. Also, I could have sworn that upstairs area was a combat zone and you could just kill that dude. Maybe it's different in the Plus version, or maybe I'm misremembering. You could certainly afford to just murder him and take the humanity hit since he's the only one up there.

Yeah, I think you're right. Oh well, I guess he gets to live!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Horror Hotel
We head out to the Ocean House Hotel to do a favor for Therese, but the resident evil spirit won't make it easy for us.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think that really conveyed at all how effectively spooky that place is. And you missed the best bit because you didn't go down the corridor to the left from the entrance.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I've been through that place like half a dozen times and it still gives me the heebie jeebies every time. I mean it's no Amnesia, but still a pretty effective horror level.
My favourite part is when you read the paper that says "child's severed head found in laundry room!" and then you hear the running washing machine with something clonking around inside and then see the hatch opening and just augh hell no. :gonk: Obviously it's not as effective on the following playthroughs, but I like it.

Also, I love Jeannette and Therese. I could talk to them all day, just to listen to Grey DeLisle. She's a fantastic voice actor.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that really conveyed at all how effectively spooky that place is. And you missed the best bit because you didn't go down the corridor to the left from the entrance.

Aw, yeah I think I know what you're talking about now that you bring it up.

Nordick posted:

Obviously it's not as effective on the following playthroughs, but I like it.

It's a fun excursion, but having played through that part several times I guess I've become a little jaded, haha. Though it's hard for me to take this game seriously because it's so deliberately silly in some places, which I love.

Also, Grey has a pretty bangin credits list on IMDB.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 4, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Grey is one of the maybe ten voice actresses who show up literally everywhere. When you think about it, it's a really small business.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, she's definitely one of the prolific pros like Jennifer Hale & co.. It's just that she largely appears in cartoons, which I don't watch. And her game appearances seem to also gravitate towards stuff I don't play.

Basically I just wish she had more big dialogue-heavy parts in RPGs. I mostly just know her as Viconia in Baldur's Gate and Jeannette & Therese in Bloodlines. Oh, and the female wizard in Diablo 3, but that's not quite the same. :v:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Nordick posted:

Basically I just wish she had more big dialogue-heavy parts in RPGs. I mostly just know her as Viconia in Baldur's Gate and Jeannette & Therese in Bloodlines. Oh, and the female wizard in Diablo 3, but that's not quite the same. :v:
She was also the Last Handmaiden in KotOR II. That was a pretty good role.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Big Trouble in Lil' Asylum
We do a favor for Jeanette, but not all is well between the sisters of Asylum.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder what a rating 1 lockpick test is. A latch on the outside?

All over the silly clown wallpaper. :buddy:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 7, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

I wonder what a rating 1 lockpick test is. A latch on the outside?

Probably. That or it was just stuck a little and not actually locked at all.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - It's If You Bought It
We do a favor for Knox and catch up with the beach bums.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If we ever meet Mercurio when he is not on the couch, would he be untrustworthy then?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

If we ever meet Mercurio when he is not on the couch, would he be untrustworthy then?

No, because then he'd be a stand up guy.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Edit: Sorry, not keeping up as fast as I ought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Explosive Moves
It's time for us to put that astrolite to good use!

Aw, poo poo. Now I'm on the NSA's watchlist.

• Locked thread