Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Usually I'm not the biggest fan of Moore's work, but this film was different. It felt much more personal, and did a great job in painting a picture of a declining city. What stood out to me was how much in denial everyone was. From the city planners, to the rich, to the working class. The sheer idiocy of the Hilton Hotel had me roll my eyes out of my head. This film is as relevant today as ever being that Flint is still in the news, and that much of America seems to be gradually suffering the same fate as the city. Good film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The part with the rabbits. :smith:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I always get Roger & Me confused with Mac and Me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I never saw any of his movies but I am intrigued as to the dumb stuff Hilton did? Please explain, I'm curious.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What city is it about? Does it stream on Netflix?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

punk rebel ecks posted:

Usually I'm not the biggest fan of Moore's work, but this film was different. It felt much more personal, and did a great job in painting a picture of a declining city. What stood out to me was how much in denial everyone was. From the city planners, to the rich, to the working class. The sheer idiocy of the Hilton Hotel had me roll my eyes out of my head. This film is as relevant today as ever being that Flint is still in the news, and that much of America seems to be gradually suffering the same fate as the city. Good film.

I remember being really moved by it, too. Maybe it was because it was a while ago that I saw it.

I felt it was a bit rawer, like he really did want to go in and just document what he saw and what people felt. I feel like his later films were made with a much more definitive agenda.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fyodor posted:

The part where she said she was planning on going to school to be a veterinarian to care for animals made me think of that one Mr. Deeds. scene.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I never saw any of his movies but I am intrigued as to the dumb stuff Hilton did? Please explain, I'm curious.

The city helped built a $30 million fancy Hilton hotel to attract tourists heading to Detroit in a last ditch effort to rejuvenate the city. Well it was technically their second to the last. Their last one was even more dumb.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lmao detroit funded a hilton hotel? drat thats some good scamming

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lmao detroit funded a hilton hotel? drat thats some good scamming

Detroit didn't, Flint did. Again, that wasn't even the most loltastic thing about the film. There are at least two other idiotic investments that are even more shocking than the Hilton thing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I saw this poo poo in grade school and don't remember anything except crushing poverty. Just like my youth.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo

Can't hear this song without thinking of the dilapidation in good ol' Flint, thanks for ruining it R&M.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Moore also had a short TV show on FOX around 1995 called "TV Nation." It was actually pretty good too. I loved it. Looking back on it, it was a bit like what The Daily Show would later become.

Now that I've remembered it, I think I'll go watch a bunch of old segments tonight. There's a shitton of them on YouTube.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wasn't the big climax of the film that Moore finally got his chat with Roger, and later it was revealed that Roger Smith heard about the film while it was being made and sent Moore a few invitations for an interview? But that doesn't make for a good film.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

Moore also had a short TV show on FOX around 1995 called "TV Nation." It was actually pretty good too. I loved it. Looking back on it, it was a bit like what The Daily Show would later become.

Now that I've remembered it, I think I'll go watch a bunch of old segments tonight. There's a shitton of them on YouTube.

This is amazing.

Blistex posted:

Wasn't the big climax of the film that Moore finally got his chat with Roger, and later it was revealed that Roger Smith heard about the film while it was being made and sent Moore a few invitations for an interview? But that doesn't make for a good film.

No? He never talked with Roger in the film.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whos roger

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i saw part of this film or maybe a trailer i dont remember

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Roger Moore, the Bond after Sean Connery and Michael's distant relative.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

fyodor posted:

Pets or Meat?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is that the one about the dog that gets cancer or something?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Haven't seen it yet. Maybe I'll check it out, I thought Sicko was ok. Don't remember anything about Fahrenheit 9-11 or anything else I might've watched of his

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I saw Alan Moore's classic film "Roger & Me" last night but he took the coward's way out and destroyed the universe at the end so I have mixed feelings about it.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
That lady doesn't mess around with those rabbits. THUNK THUNK.

batebro
Sep 24, 2012

:smugbert:
Speaking of Moore:

I was just in Havana, Cuba last week.

Moore's "Sicko" is such propaganda horseshit. The people in Cuba are amazing and the place is great, but their healthcare is obviously struggling. One of our group had a life-threatening allergic reaction and, while she was taken care of well by a doctor in our group and some local doctors, it was extremely clear that she got very, very lucky and could have been in a world of poo poo very quickly. There's no doubt in my mind she was also given preferential status because she was a relatively wealthy tourist. Ambulances were essentially unavailable and the hospital facilities were clearly lacking (one I observed was obviously lacking sanitary conditions even when I looked through the windows). The medicine available was decent quality but obviously far from new or modern. The poor doctors aren't paid much more than anyone else (30-50 CUC /mo., or $30-50 /mo.), meaning many of them moonlight in more profitable fields (tourism, bars, etc.) It's the first time I've genuinely felt like otherwise small medical issues could seriously threaten my life.

Needless to say, Moore's a horse's rear end.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Zahgaegun posted:

Can't hear this song without thinking of the dilapidation in good ol' Flint, thanks for ruining it R&M.

same.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
hes fat

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Ema Nymton posted:

I remember that one of the segments was right after the fall of the Soviet Union, and he painted a semi truck and trailer all red with a big sickle and hammer on them, filled it with poo poo like a Lenin statue and a bunch of little red books, and took communism on one last tour through America. I'm pretty sure that the truck got set on fire and destroyed in like Alabama.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

batebro posted:

Speaking of Moore:

Moore's "Sicko" is such propaganda horseshit. The people in Cuba are amazing and the place is great, but their healthcare is obviously struggling. One of our group had a life-threatening allergic reaction and, while she was taken care of well by a doctor in our group and some local doctors, it was extremely clear that she got very, very lucky and could have been in a world of poo poo very quickly. There's no doubt in my mind she was also given preferential status because she was a relatively wealthy tourist. Ambulances were essentially unavailable and the hospital facilities were clearly lacking (one I observed was obviously lacking sanitary conditions even when I looked through the windows). The medicine available was decent quality but obviously far from new or modern. The poor doctors aren't paid much more than anyone else (30-50 CUC /mo., or $30-50 /mo.), meaning many of them moonlight in more profitable fields (tourism, bars, etc.) It's the first time I've genuinely felt like otherwise small medical issues could seriously threaten my life.

This sounds pretty bad, but is it that much worse than a country with every possible resource plus infinite dollars to spend on healthcare that lets citizens die of treatable conditions for lack of ability to pay?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Zahgaegun posted:

I remember this one night as a kid I was sick and layed-up in bed and my mom fell asleep watching 50 First Dates downstairs so it just did that little intro title menu loop that DVDs do. Well the title menu music happened to be about 5 seconds of this song.
Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long.
Literally all night I heard Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long. Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long. Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long. Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long.
over and over again.

I think that is part of what ruined my brain.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ive never sene it but "roger" is a prettyy good name for a retard

was michael moore rasinign awarenes of his condition? that he's retarded? let me know

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

batebro posted:

Speaking of Moore:

Cuba has big problems with medical shortages. It cuts costs by cutting corners as you saw. Still the best healthcare in all of Latin America...which isn't saying much.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

City of Tampa posted:

This sounds pretty bad, but is it that much worse than a country with every possible resource plus infinite dollars to spend on healthcare that lets citizens die of treatable conditions for lack of ability to pay?

Yeah at least Cuba has an excuse.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

batebro posted:

Speaking of Moore:

Despite all that poo poo the life expectancy in Cuba is only one year less than in the US.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Harold and Maude > Roger and Me

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cartouche posted:

Harold and Maude > [Insert Any Film Title Here]

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

remember squiggy from laverne and shirley

what happened to him

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

aaah!!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Government Motors :obama:

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

batebro posted:

Speaking of Moore:

And had it been any other Caribbean country, your friend might actually be dead. The point is not that Cuba's healthcare is better than a vastly wealthier nation's it's that it's much better than other countries with similarly poor economies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Is his new movie any good?

• Locked thread