Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This is verging on bad. It has some positives but it feels like a backpedal on the good choices in moving from First Class to DoFP.

Some of the dialogue is just plain poor, Rose Byrne's character makes no sense in the context of what she's seeing for the first time, most of the horsemen have no motivation and actually don't do anything evil enough to be a horseman, and honestly the whole scheme doesn't seem very pro-mutant at all.

It's funny, I'm thinking this is probably a worse movie than BvS but the completely shameless Quicksilver scene is successful in its shamelessness because it lifts the whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
There was too much of Apocalypse. Time should have been spent more on Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Jean, and Jubilee(Who I forgot was in this movie)

The Wolverine scene is much more hilarious now that Deadpool has come out and made it even more obvious how much blood should be coming out of the guys Logan kills

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

GenericMartini posted:

There was too much of Apocalypse. Time should have been spent more on Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Jean, and Jubilee(Who I forgot was in this movie)

The Wolverine scene is much more hilarious now that Deadpool has come out and made it even more obvious how much blood should be coming out of the guys Logan kills

No one cares about Jubilee.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Not a fan of the film, huge fan of the first two. The film seemed like Dragonball Z film/fight scene towards the end lol at every focusing their powers on Apocalyspe at the end, and no fight scenes of consequence in the first 75% of the film .

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't like how Magneto's character arc has gone. In First Class I was on his side. Killing Shaw was necessary and killing the Russian and American fleets that just attacked the X-Men would have been fair game.

Then in DoFP he takes an idiot pill. He terrifies the world with a show of his mutant strength at a point when the public had only just learned their existence and had yet to make up their minds.

Now in Apocalypse he devastates the world just because a bumbling Polish cop killed his wife and kid. Worse, he's Apocalypse's willing bitch.

Magneto and his Brotherhood were supposed to be a reaction to anti-mutant bigotry, instead he's the cause.

It's so painfully obvious that Fox doesn't plot out the characters arcs in advance like Marvel Studios does.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Killing the cops was "justified" because he was grief stricken and he needs be be a bad guy. Threatening the guys at the foundry was ham-handed as hell and the "Don't try to stop me from killing these men" -line was dumb as hell to me.

But the destruction he caused later was just completely unforgivable.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How did the guys at the foundry even realize he had powers? It's not like he projected a glowing beam to catch that bucket.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

No one cares about Jubilee.

Wrong, bitch.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kurzon posted:

How did the guys at the foundry even realize he had powers? It's not like he projected a glowing beam to catch that bucket.

Magneto made a name for himself and his power by attacking the white house. After some weird magnetism poo poo happened in their foundry, some probably decided that yeah, that guy nobody really knows does look like him.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

But what was the point of the military capture? We don't need to piss away 25 minutes for a terrible Wolverine cameo. They made such a big deal of the power blocking walls/cage/collars, I figured maybe it would play into stopping Apoc "you aren't a god, you're a mutant" but nope, just a lame way to keep the protagonists helpless for a bit.
They could have made Magneto's change of heart at the end way more interesting than "endless stream of easily blocked metal junk" by having him build a giant Faraday cage, powered up by Storm's lightning, to block Apocalypse's teleportation.

Kurzon posted:

Apocalypse's powers need to be narrowed down to just a few that are reasonably well-defined. This is what they did with Green Lantern. In the old days, Green Lanterns could pretty much do anything (except heal injuries, apparently) but then they narrowed it down to flight and constructs (and a handful of minor abilities that don't mean much in a fight). What are Apocalypse's most iconic powers?
Going from what he does in the movie, his most iconic ability would be his ambiguously defined sand/rock/metal(?) control... but that makes no sense, because he can build a giant pyramid in a couple of minutes on his own but he doesn't even notice when somebody builds a pyramid for him that's actually a giant deathtrap?

Cavelcade posted:

I wish Magneto was straight up brainwashed instead of what we got. Oh well.
Same here. He just personally straight up murdered God only knows how many people with his worldwide magnetic thing and Charles and everybody else on the scene just... don't care, apparently?

McDragon posted:

Speed For- poo poo, wrong universe.
He's pretty obviously got some kind of time fuckery or reality warping going on, considering that he can listen to a normal tape deck at a super-speed.

Firstborn posted:

Magneto's power list continues to grow as cool poo poo that is even vaguely connected to magnetism is played around with in science. Last I checked he has electromagnetic sight and can perceive people's magnetic auras and has superhuman physical stats and a bunch of other poo poo. He is practically Superman at this point.

nimby posted:

This might be due to Magneto's magnetic personality.
This is a real thing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Roadie posted:

Going from what he does in the movie, his most iconic ability would be his ambiguously defined sand/rock/metal(?) control... but that makes no sense, because he can build a giant pyramid in a couple of minutes on his own but he doesn't even notice when somebody builds a pyramid for him that's actually a giant deathtrap?

That's easy enough to handwave by saying there's a detailed backstory to what's going on in the opening sequence that we simply don't know about. Apocalypse probably built the death trap pyramid on purpose himself for some reason.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Roadie posted:

They could have made Magneto's change of heart at the end way more interesting than "endless stream of easily blocked metal junk" by having him build a giant Faraday cage, powered up by Storm's lightning, to block Apocalypse's teleportation.

Same here. He just personally straight up murdered God only knows how many people with his worldwide magnetic thing and Charles and everybody else on the scene just... don't care, apparently?

He's pretty obviously got some kind of time fuckery or reality warping going on, considering that he can listen to a normal tape deck at a super-speed.

This is a real thing.

Lol, guys the ending would of been totally better if I thought about it first.

Haha you jack off.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, guys the ending would of been totally better if I thought about it first.

Haha you jack off.

Nice :iceburn: there, telling me off for pointing out obvious uninteresting stuff from a movie in a forum that exists entirely for discussion about and criticism of movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Roadie posted:

Nice :iceburn: there, telling me off for pointing out obvious uninteresting stuff from a movie in a forum that exists entirely for discussion about and criticism of movies.

Anymore movies you can let us know how you would of done it better, Mr. Director?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tenzarin posted:

Anymore movies you can let us know how you would of done it better, Mr. Director?

Really?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

That would be both :effort: and in the wrong thread.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kurzon posted:

I don't like how Magneto's character arc has gone. In First Class I was on his side. Killing Shaw was necessary and killing the Russian and American fleets that just attacked the X-Men would have been fair game.

Then in DoFP he takes an idiot pill. He terrifies the world with a show of his mutant strength at a point when the public had only just learned their existence and had yet to make up their minds.

Now in Apocalypse he devastates the world just because a bumbling Polish cop killed his wife and kid. Worse, he's Apocalypse's willing bitch.

Magneto and his Brotherhood were supposed to be a reaction to anti-mutant bigotry, instead he's the cause.

It's so painfully obvious that Fox doesn't plot out the characters arcs in advance like Marvel Studios does.

Hahaha yea great character arcs like Tony Stark :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hahaha yea great character arcs like Tony Stark

Did they really plan for Iron Man 2 & 3 to be basically non-rewatchable?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

doverhog posted:

That's easy enough to handwave by saying there's a detailed backstory to what's going on in the opening sequence that we simply don't know about. Apocalypse probably built the death trap pyramid on purpose himself for some reason.

He didn't trap himself.. One of the themes of this movie is the characters' potential being forcibly caged against their will. Apocalypse being the first mutant, gave no bones about showing his mutant powers off. He is also the first mutant in history to suffer persecution and is almost assassinated when Woman-Magneto saves him with a pulse cage. This sets the societal persecution of mutants for centuries to come.

Next, we see Angel, locked in a steel cage. He is soon "given" total freedom when Apocalypse forcibly turns his wings into steel. In the end, he completes his transition by becoming one with a steel bird.

Magneto is interesting because he voluntarily cages himself and his downfall happens by voluntarily saving another. He believes his last chance at freedom dies with wife and daughter. His daughter's control over birds represented a final chance at breaking out of the cage that wasn't meant to be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Justin Godscock posted:

takes a not-so-subtle shot with the line "the third one is always the worst" after everyone watches Return of the Jedi

I liked when movies cross this line. They did it a second time at the end of the movie.

They announce that, "This is the end of the Bronze age".

Then during all the ending scene we see silver, silver Cyclop's goggles, Quicksilver with silver aviators glasses.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I really didn't like the actress playing Jean. The whole movie all I could see was a chubby taller Lindsey lohan. Like they just took her straight out of the parent trap and stretched her out and put on weight. It was just so off putting.

All gingers look alike etc

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

I really didn't like the actress playing Jean. The whole movie all I could see was a chubby taller Lindsey lohan. Like they just took her straight out of the parent trap and stretched her out and put on weight. It was just so off putting.

lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I hear she's been in this one obscure HBO show that some people watch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ramadu posted:

chubby as hell my man, haha, that's the good stuff right there :mrgw:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Look I don't know what the rest of her body looked like her cheeks were huge ok

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Sansa's aggressively 80s clothing would have felt less incongruous if the whole mallrat subplot with Jubilee hadn't been cut

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
It was aight. Definitely better than what it's getting credit for on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think the average critic is just getting tired of superhero movies where the whole world is at stake.

Some characterization is missing, obviously in the case of Psylocke, and I feel like they're leaning too heavily on past films' focus on the Jean character. I'm not sold on this version; what was likely supposed to be inner turmoil or guilt came off more as generic ambivalence.

I was OK with the whole Stryker/Wolverine interlude. One of the only things reminding the audience of the real, long-term battle lines between mutants and government. Other than Magneto's coworkers totally ratting him out there was no other depiction of the supposed impasse between mutants and humans.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 27, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jay-V posted:

Other than Magneto's coworkers totally ratting him out there was no other depiction of the supposed impasse between mutants and humans.

This was odd too, is it racist to try to arrest a war criminal?

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

This was odd too, is it racist to try to arrest a war criminal?

Nah but dude if I worked around dangerous metal every day and he saved my coworker from molten metal because of mutant powers, I would never tell on him

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jay-V posted:

Nah but dude if I worked around dangerous metal every day and he saved my coworker from molten metal because of mutant powers, I would never tell on him

It's an interesting idea.  If Bin Laden saves you from a falling building by throwing a bomb at it, leaving nobody harmed, how do you follow that up.  It's like "thanks Bin Laden".  But you're also from a totally uninvolved country, like not the US and not the Middle East.  So do you wink at Bin Laden and go back to work?  Do you collect what's probably a big reward?  

It's kind of a strange scenario and the same as you get with the Hulk TV show.  Hulk just up and leaves after each adventure and you assume nobody drops a dime on him but he can't take the chance that someone still wants to tell on the big greenie who helped him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They can still pull off an Onslaught movie now. Professor X has seen the future lead by humans with the Sentinels and now the future lead by Apocalypse. All they need to do is have Magneto rip the metal out of Wolverine so Professor X can awaken him! I guess they kinda need to reintroduce Juggernaut first though.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I just want to check...are they basically pretending the first three x-men movies didn't happen at all? I may be missing something, but it feels like the characters, actors, actresses etc. are all so different (except Wolverine) and the story is going in a different direction. Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the different actors but it feels like it's a completely different universe (one example being age difference between Wolverine/Jean in this movie) than the first three movies. But DoFP had actors from the original trilogy in the "present." I'm totally fine with them ignoring the first three movies but am not sure what the intention/official position is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They happened. And then they didn't.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

that one guy posted:

I just want to check...are they basically pretending the first three x-men movies didn't happen at all? I may be missing something, but it feels like the characters, actors, actresses etc. are all so different (except Wolverine) and the story is going in a different direction. Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the different actors but it feels like it's a completely different universe (one example being age difference between Wolverine/Jean in this movie) than the first three movies. But DoFP had actors from the original trilogy in the "present." I'm totally fine with them ignoring the first three movies but am not sure what the intention/official position is.

The first three movies happened, time fuckery closed the book on that universe, and we're just going with the First Class guys from here on (aside from Jackman maybe), from what I gather.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: double post

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

that one guy posted:

but am not sure what the intention/official position is.

Loose reboot, basically. I think Days of Future Past closed the door on most of the original three movies, but they aren't completely wiped out, since Patrick Stewart is doing Wolverine 3.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

It's an interesting idea.  If Bin Laden saves you from a falling building by throwing a bomb at it, leaving nobody harmed, how do you follow that up.  It's like "thanks Bin Laden".  But you're also from a totally uninvolved country, like not the US and not the Middle East.  So do you wink at Bin Laden and go back to work?  Do you collect what's probably a big reward?  

It's kind of a strange scenario and the same as you get with the Hulk TV show.  Hulk just up and leaves after each adventure and you assume nobody drops a dime on him but he can't take the chance that someone still wants to tell on the big greenie who helped him.

If I had gotten to know bin laden for almost a decade, I've come to trust him as a hardworking colleague, I see that he settled down with that nice girl I've seen around town before, maybe I've had some beers with him and the crew, possibly he's invited me over to dinner with the fam -- and then I find out his bomb-throwing ways actually somehow can always keep me safe while at my life-endangering job? Tbh it would have to be a big reward to tell on him, unless I was also just afraid of "his kind."

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, not challenging that or anything. If Bruce Banner saves me, he can couch surf forever but I won't trust everyone will be as kind to purple undies wearers.

I can just understand if it's a culture of fear and all that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tenzarin posted:

I liked when movies cross this line. They did it a second time at the end of the movie.

They announce that, "This is the end of the Bronze age".

Then during all the ending scene we see silver, silver Cyclop's goggles, Quicksilver with silver aviators glasses.

I think you're reading too much into that the line came from when Magneto was literally ripping all the metal out of the Earth itself and that military dude meant everything since the Bronze Age was going to be wiped out because Apocalypse was wiping out all traces of civilization. It wasn't a shot against the third movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Edit: Double post?

• Locked thread