Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just back from Apocalypse, and my God I was disappointed. I've enjoyed the other Bryan Singer X-Men films enough on their own merits as movies, that I could overlook a lot of the bigger misfires in terms of not getting the characters right or making them totally true to their comic selves. But this movie really rubbed me the wrong way.

The better parts...
- The Quicksilver scene was really fun
- I liked Sophie Turner as Jean, and thought Nightcrawler was pretty good

Everything else that I didn't like...
- The pacing was baaaad. I was checking my watch repeatedly at about 35-40 minutes into the movie. It was just boring.
- The action was very bad.
- The CGI looked like it belonged in 2010/11.
- Why did Psylocke and Angel move so slow? They never came across as threatening because everything they did looked and felt slow as hell.
- The music was bad, too. None of the song selections at any given time made sense.
- The Horsemen were just sort of there the whole time, and didn't do anything interesting at any point

Actually, I could keep going and going all day, but the only reason this wasn't the worst of the franchise is because X3 and Wolverine:Origins exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

doverhog posted:

Xavier wants mutants and humans to live in peace, but there's no question he values mutant lives more. And yeah, Magneto can kill as many humans as he wants can and Xavier is gonna be like "Eric please, I see good in you." :3:

Oh poo poo: "I see good in you" *wink* *wink*

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I liked the movie well enough, having just got out of the theater. It didn't reach Oh my God this is awesome levels of entertainment, but didn't leave the theater disappointed by any reasonable metric. Kinda didn't like Raspy Whispery Apocalypse, liked it more when they gave him a deeper, baritone voice. Movie needed more Quicksilver knocking the supposed God around like a pinball stuff. Dug the Wolverine cameo more than I expected, liked how all the kids had a "Oh poo poo just follow the scary angry bladed guy" policy. Most of the Four Horsemen weren't characterized very well, but Olivia Munn made up for it by looking like Olivia Munn. Loved how Magneto's betrayal was depicted by a big metal X, representing Xavier as much as a basic "Yeah, no, this is not for you" message.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 29, 2016

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I was wondering when they'd get around to using Mr. Sinister. He's one of the only decent X-Men villains they have left.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He might be one of the only villains they have left, but decent doesn't come into it

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Copying and pasting myself:
Okay I really liked X-Men: Apocalypse. We're now three for three on X-Men films that looked real lovely but ended up being pretty good.

I mean...okay...I can appreciate that it's kind of a mess of a movie that doesn't respect its audience nearly enough and handholds us through its mess of scenes and dialogue and...heh..."plot." But I think overall things got stronger and stronger the longer the film went and was no longer bogged down alternately ponderous and schizophrenic scenes about nothing worth saying.

The whole "Mystique leads the X-Men" thing came across much better and much more intelligently than I was expecting, building naturally off of the previous films' storylines. That was really the thing I worried about most going in and I was glad they managed to make it work.

And let me just say that there are scenes in this film that I have waited literal decades in order to see depicted onscreen and what this film did with it exceeded even what I had envisioned in my head.

UNLEASH YOUR POWAAH JEEEEAAN

Oh yeah and I loved that dumb metal X thing that Magneto made when he switched sides. It was so dumb and melodramatic but I loved it a whole lot.

Also Quicksilver. Fuuuck. Look, I'm the first to say that the DOFP Quicksilver scene was a little overblown and overrated but this one is legitimately well worth the hype.

All in all I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this again. I think this film has more heart than intelligence, but it does still manage to give us an enjoyable, memorable result.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
I thought it was okay, pacing was off in places and Jackman looks old as poo poo now, he really needs to be killed off or replaced.

Olivia Munn looked ridiculously good. Sophie Turner's accent did my head in, don't know whether it was the lines or the actress.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Quicksilver scene was fun but felt unnecessary to the plot. They blew up the school just so that they could show Quicksilver evacuating everyone. Apocalypse didn't even do that, it was Havok who blew up Hank's rather explodey jet. And then at the end Jean and Magneto use their powers to rebuild it good as new (do any of the X-Men have a degree in architecture?) like it never happened.

After that scene the plot goes off on a second pointless detour to Stryker's secret base, for the sole purpose of showing Wolverine stabbing people.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 29, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kurzon posted:

The Quicksilver scene was fun but felt unnecessary to the plot. They blew up the school just so that they could show Quicksilver evacuating everyone. Apocalypse didn't even do that, it was Havok who blew up Hank's rather explodey jet. And then at the end Jean and Magneto use their powers to rebuild it good as new (do any of the X-Men have a degree in architecture?) like it never happened.

After that scene the plot goes off on a second pointless detour to Stryker's secret base, for the sole purpose of showing Wolverine stabbing people.

This is how I felt about the Quicksilver scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ieD3iU8hs

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Kurzon posted:

I just like that the mansion blew up in the movie right after Deadpool, which specifically makes fun of how often the X-Mansion gets blown up or destroyed or whatever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Holy poo poo. Magneto was what...like 9 or 10 in 1943? He should be 50 years old, but doesn't look a day over 40. Same with Xavier. Mystique can look however she wants, so fine.

But the worst one of all is loving Havok. Forget the fact that the guy should be in his late 30s or early 40s by this point since he was a teenager in 1963, but he also has a brother that he is obviously older than by more than a decade, but they look barely a few years apart. It's a stupid concern, but it really pulled me out of the movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darke GBF posted:

I just like that the mansion blew up in the movie right after Deadpool, which specifically makes fun of how often the X-Mansion gets blown up or destroyed or whatever.

Mansion blowing up builds character.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Copying and pasting myself:
Okay I really liked X-Men: Apocalypse. We're now three for three on X-Men films that looked real lovely but ended up being pretty good.

I mean...okay...I can appreciate that it's kind of a mess of a movie that doesn't respect its audience nearly enough and handholds us through its mess of scenes and dialogue and...heh..."plot." But I think overall things got stronger and stronger the longer the film went and was no longer bogged down alternately ponderous and schizophrenic scenes about nothing worth saying.

The whole "Mystique leads the X-Men" thing came across much better and much more intelligently than I was expecting, building naturally off of the previous films' storylines. That was really the thing I worried about most going in and I was glad they managed to make it work.

And let me just say that there are scenes in this film that I have waited literal decades in order to see depicted onscreen and what this film did with it exceeded even what I had envisioned in my head.

UNLEASH YOUR POWAAH JEEEEAAN

Oh yeah and I loved that dumb metal X thing that Magneto made when he switched sides. It was so dumb and melodramatic but I loved it a whole lot.

Also Quicksilver. Fuuuck. Look, I'm the first to say that the DOFP Quicksilver scene was a little overblown and overrated but this one is legitimately well worth the hype.

All in all I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this again. I think this film has more heart than intelligence, but it does still manage to give us an enjoyable, memorable result.

I don't think we saw the same movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

Also as always, the third act is set by effectively taking out Professor X, since they've written a character that could otherwise think away all problems.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also as always, the third act is set by effectively taking out Professor X, since they've written a character that could otherwise think away all problems.

Cinematically, I wish they took one of climaxes of these movies to neuter him to Jedi level (weak minded only) just so he could properly be in these stories without being sidelined always. Such a narrative dead end. Especially since Cerebro is an easy vehicle to give him power when the story requires but limit it for the rest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't know if this applies here considering Apocalypse is more than a match for him telepathically. They didn't "take him out" because they couldn't write around his powers, he just became the damsel in distress.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Reinanigans posted:

Holy poo poo. Magneto was what...like 9 or 10 in 1943? He should be 50 years old, but doesn't look a day over 40. Same with Xavier. Mystique can look however she wants, so fine.

But the worst one of all is loving Havok. Forget the fact that the guy should be in his late 30s or early 40s by this point since he was a teenager in 1963, but he also has a brother that he is obviously older than by more than a decade, but they look barely a few years apart. It's a stupid concern, but it really pulled me out of the movie.

I brought this up in this thread before and it's only going to get worse if the plan is the next X-Men team movie takes place in the 90s like the producers have been hinting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good flick. With some of these new actors not sucking rear end, they can probably let a few of the old farts go.

I liked the part in the beginning where one of the horsemen turns a dude into a person cube.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Obvious flaws aside, I went in with low expectations and I kinda liked it. I liked the fact that a lot of the A-list X-Men characters got a chance to shine without being overshadowed by Wolverine. I like Wolverine and all but I think in a lot of the other movies, even the really good ones, he really takes up the vast majority of the action and screen time. First Class didn't really have him in it either but that the X-Men team in that movie was a pretty random smattering of whatever mutants they could use, I hadn't even heard of half the characters in that movie before. But this movie showcases most of the main A-list characters ones that I know from the 90's show and comics, even if its young versions of them. Even though the film's plot is a little loose and there are some big continuity timeline problems I really enjoyed the fact that I got to see a movie where X-Men that I know and care about go on a mission and stop the bad guy in something much closer to an ensemble film without Wolverine taking up all the screentime.

In particular, I think this movie is so far the only movie to actually do some justice to Cyclops. (with the possible exception of X1, but even in that one you're supposed to dislike him to some degree and root for Wolverine to take his girl away from him). This is the only one where he's purely a hero and doesn't also serve as the antagonist/foil of the love triangle subplot, and he doesn't get randomly killed off or kidnapped or anything, he's in there, he's part of the team. In fact, Cyclops gets to be one of the only characters who DOESN'T get kidnapped and is responsible for saving the others! I really liked that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Reinanigans posted:

Also Quicksilver still looks like a teen/early 20s dude and they didn't even bother giving him anything to do since the last movie, he just spent the last 10 years sitting in his mother's basement waiting for the team to call again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Quicksilver still looks like a teen/early 20s dude and they didn't even bother giving him anything to do since the last movie, he just spent the last 10 years sitting in his mother's basement waiting for the team to call again.

Just like the previous film, where they literally tell him to go home so he doesn't spoil the climax of the movie by ending it in two seconds.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I kind of liked the dumb "Moira! She hasn't aged a day!" joke.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
There are not too many movies that I walk out of wishing I could get my lost time back. This was one of them. If you're going to make a two and a half hour long movie, it better be really loving good. They could have cut so much poo poo out and made it just over an hour long and it would have probably helped it in every way imaginable.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yes! It's horrible. Even if you accept that Quicksilver doesn't have the impatience of his comic book counterpart, ten years of doing gently caress all is just unrealistic, even for a normal person, let alone a living demigod.

They became so enamored with their stupid idea to set each movie exactly ten years apart and then didn't realize or likely didn't care enough to drop it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Quicksilver and Wolverine weren't even in earlier versions of the script but the studio went "Are you kidding? They were people's favourite part of the previous films! Cram them in there!" so they just got awkwardly shoehorned into the plot without too much thought and then summarily dismissed at the appropriate points.

I mean they went to all the trouble of establishing that Beast has built an awesome new combat jet but then that gets blown up completely by accident and then they get captured by Stryker's team and the end result of that entire side plot is they end up flying around in a different awesome combat jet. Quicksilver had a fun scene in the final fight but also had exactly zero effect on advancing the plot in the end and they even had to invent a lovely awkward excuse for him not to interfere in Magneto's character arc. It really felt like Havoc was supposed to be the character who tried to take on Apocalypse alone at the end of the movie only to fail but he got shuffled off screen rather awkwardly halfway through the film instead.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I liked the film. It was boring for sure but I liked that it made all the X Men cool in their own way. Scott Summers and Jean Grey are really boring, most X Men are, but those two are horrible. Making half of the film about them was awful.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The X-Men are comic book characters, and as such, they don't actually age because they are constantly rebooting into their starting/younger selves. Or mutants age slower/differently. Take your pick; its not a hard issue to ignore. I'd rather they ignore it than try to cake on older-age makeup on folks.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Quicksilver and Wolverine weren't even in earlier versions of the script but the studio went "Are you kidding? They were people's favourite part of the previous films! Cram them in there!" so they just got awkwardly shoehorned into the plot without too much thought and then summarily dismissed at the appropriate points.

Those two characters had the best goddamned scenes in the movie, though.

I feel that the person who got shafted (and not unjustifiably) the most was Hank/Beast.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm kind of torn on this one. I loved the actor who played Apocalypse, it's a different take on the character than usual but I enjoyed it. I just wish he actually did more. But it looks like moving around in that rubber suit or whatever was difficult. On the other hand, the movie's editing was awful. My favorite part is where Apocalypse starts to remake that city and he lifts up his hands all dramatic like and you're waiting for something to happen, then it just cuts and half the super awesome evil pyramid is already built and everything is being atomized and like other people have pointed out, the horsemen seemed really superfluous, especially since Angel was the only one who got any kind of actual horsemanification going on unless you count Storm's dye job. Personally I was really hoping That the now super charged Magneto with all this excess metal he ripped up from the globe was setting up for Asteroid M and he'd gently caress off into space at the end but he didn't. Also I really hated that they brought back the Phoenix poo poo and once again it's just this super power Jean has sitting up her rear end and then she kills the invincible badguy with it because she's so awesome and powerful. I think if I had to pick one way to describe this movie it would be an interesting premise with wasted potential.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nuebot posted:

and like other people have pointed out, the horsemen seemed really superfluous, especially since Angel was the only one who got any kind of actual horsemanification going on

But Apocalypse worked really hard designing that facial tattoo!!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

But Apocalypse worked really hard designing that facial tattoo!!!

I actually laughed when I saw that going on in the background. Not just that but it looked like Angel was trying to copy Storm's hairdo too. What a dork.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why doesn't Apocalypse just deatomize the people fighting him?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Josh Lyman posted:

Why doesn't Apocalypse just deatomize the people fighting him?
He probably could but then again, his concentration would be broken by his foe's punching him in the face.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Philthy posted:

There are not too many movies that I walk out of wishing I could get my lost time back.
Full disclosure: I was a dumbass and went to a theatre on Piccadilly Circus to see it and it turns out two tickets in that area cost almost 40 pounds. I don't regret a lot of time or money investments I've made in movies but that one I do try to avoid thinking about too much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is that for a IMAX 3D showing with VIP seats and a free blowjob? Dayum.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Charles: Welcome to MY house!
:: Strongest telepath in the world then attempts to box a god and gets his rear end pushed in::

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

What the hell was with the awkward sexual energy in this movie? When Beast mounted Mystique mid battle in front of Apocalypse I lost it. He plan on loving his way out of that fight?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

:: Strongest telepath in the world then attempts to box a god and gets his rear end pushed in::

This part was really good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Well to be fair it was psychic boxing and boxing really does seem like something Xavier would do in his mind instead of shooting lasers or something cool. I liked the "You'll need a bigger house" comeback though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nuebot posted:

Well to be fair it was psychic boxing and boxing really does seem like something Xavier would do in his mind instead of shooting lasers or something cool. I liked the "You'll need a bigger house" comeback though.

Yeah, the other option was that they stood there doing this at each other:

... possibly with some CGI light show happening between them.

I'm guessing that the Dr Strange movie will similarly have issues depicting battles that occur purely on the psychic plane but I'm guessing they'll have some balls-to-the-wall crazy psychedelic imagery instead of psychic boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

That was a terrible scene. And that Deus ex machina with the Phoenix force was awful.

Question: doesn't Xavier always fight as a god drat gladiator in the psychic realm? Or was that a cartoon only thing?

• Locked thread