Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are mATX SFF cases a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

used to be, when mATX was a thing

there are still a few on the market, but the wide scale death of mATX has limited the number of cases from actual brands

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811197012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mATX motherboards aren't that rare, are they?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

mATX motherboards aren't that rare, are they?

compared to the past, yeah. and you can make a compact ATX case very slightly larger (like the Meshify C), so why bother making mATX specific cases? space focused buyers are probably going ITX. so mATX ended up a bit of a no man’s land in sizes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

compared to the past, yeah. and you can make a compact ATX case very slightly larger (like the Meshify C), so why bother making mATX specific cases? space focused buyers are probably going ITX. so mATX ended up a bit of a no man’s land in sizes.

It's just that ITX boards come with more of a price premium (mATX mobos are often just cutdown variants of ATX boards). But I get that SFF is typically a premium segment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like most mATX cases are poorly equipped to handle modern GPUs. They're mostly just miniature midtowers with bottom-mounted PSUs that stifle your GPU's airflow. It's even worse if there's a PSU shroud, and your GPU has about an inch or two to breathe only. I'd like to see more creativity in the mATX space. The O11 mini was a good start, but it's still built to accommodate full ATX as well.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Haven't seen a high end mATX board in what feels like forever. Fondly remembering my Asus Maximus Gene (insert whatever roman numeral it was) z77 board and 3570k that my 7970 took out when it puffed the magic smoke. Board, CPU, GPU, all died which led me to the 6700K + 1080 combo I still got going today.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
SFF fans will pay a premium for ITX boards, and people who think they need 50 phase VRMs like world record OCers will buy $500+ ATX boards. The mATX board comes with an air of "doesn't try hard enough" so manufacturers probably think they can't sell mATX boards for those $500.

While technically mATX would be sufficient for most users ever since multi-GPU setups died, there's a chicken/egg problem where at least in the past, mATX was for budget mainboards so enthusiasts didn't buy them so there was no incentive to make high-end mATX boards.

And yeah if you can make a case slightly bigger and put a full ATX board in there, why bother. Just buy the $200 ITX board.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, there's not enough room for a whole form factor between the NR200 and the smaller ATX cases.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

I think I shared it a while back (or may have been in another thread) but I’ve done two builds with this case which I ended up going with because I had an mATX board but wanted to try for a SSF-like build and it’s functionally the same size as the NR200 but can do both ITX and mATX:

https://www.newegg.com/amp/p/N82E16811197012

I’ve been pretty happy… I think at one point I had a full sized power supply in one build (since switched out to the smaller Corsair model) and I’ve used both an EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and a Sapphire 6800xt whatever it’s called so the case can definitely handle larger cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a catch given it's pretty cheap?

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Is there a catch given it's pretty cheap?

None that I can recall… I bought one and liked it so much I ended up getting a second. You may need slim fans at either the top and/or bottom depending on mATX or power supply or CPU cooler dimensions.

Honestly i was impressed… it comes with a bracket for either power supply configuration.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The SAMA is like a mATX NR200, just a little bigger. The build quality is probably not quite as good but the price is right.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ooh, that's a timely suggestion -- thanks! I needed mATX for some lab builds because I needed more than one PCIe slot, but didn't need to go full ATX.

On the STX side though... is the Deskmini X300(W) just discontinued now? I got one last year from Newegg but had to RMA it (I have not had good luck with them being functional out of the box... or I've over-torqued my NH-D9s) and haven't seen it back in stock anywhere reputable since then.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

movax posted:

Ooh, that's a timely suggestion -- thanks! I needed mATX for some lab builds because I needed more than one PCIe slot, but didn't need to go full ATX.

On the STX side though... is the Deskmini X300(W) just discontinued now? I got one last year from Newegg but had to RMA it (I have not had good luck with them being functional out of the box... or I've over-torqued my NH-D9s) and haven't seen it back in stock anywhere reputable since then.

They released an updated version, the H470, but that also seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm doing the upgrade and shuffle dance, and long story short I'll have a 9700k that I want to put into an NR200 case, but I'll need a motherboard and cooler for it. Anyone have suggestions on what I could buy new online that isn't > $200 for a mb, or am I gonna be stuck looking for used stuff on ebay?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Krailor posted:

They released an updated version, the H470, but that also seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Oh — that’s Intel (maybe I posted the wrong model number above); looking for the AMD AM4 one so I can put my 5700G in it…

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Its called X300 now and you can pick up warehouse versions off amazon in the $130 range.

edit: This is the link. Amazon Warehouse options will pop up a couple times a month. Use Camel or Keepa to set an alert.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 17, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Comatoast posted:

Its called X300 now and you can pick up warehouse versions off amazon in the $130 range.

Huhh. Amazon keeps giving prebuilts and other poo poo when I search for 'X300' / Deskmini X300.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

movax posted:

Huhh. Amazon keeps giving prebuilts and other poo poo when I search for 'X300' / Deskmini X300.

I see it as out of stock on Amazon, but newegg has it via eBay for better return policy.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Of course after I order it...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17213/asrock-unveils-deskmeet-sff-pc-platform-with-intel-b660-amd-x300-chipsets

quote:

ASRock is delivering all this in a chassis with a 8L volume with two configurations - one based on the Intel B660 platform, and another based on the AMD X300 chipset (AM4 socket). The key specifications of the two systems are summarized in the table below.

While the absence of high-end I/O ports like Thunderbolt 4 and USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or high-end wired networking is a tad disappointing, ASRock is making up for that by supporting PCIe expansion cards and quad-DIMM configurations for up to 128GB of RAM. ASRock calls these boards -ITX, but they are not truly mini-ITX in size.

Weird that it doesn't use SFX power supplies. Dual LAN would have been fantastic too... it's like, weird ITX to get your 4 DIMM slots, mostly?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I’ve bought an FE 3080ti at RRP with the intention of building a PC and selling it, because the local PC shops in my area charge huge markup and I could undercut them while still making enough of a profit to make it worthwhile for me. Also I enjoyed building my PC last year and I want an excuse to tinker around with parts I don’t have in my own system. My intention was to build ITX PCs because I think there’s a gap in the market here. I see someone else on Facebook marketplace doing exactly what I want to, but with normal ATX cases, and his adverts are always gone after a few days so clearly they’re selling. I live in Luxembourg where there’s a huge amount of young urban professionals with high disposable incomes but small living spaces, either studio apartments or rooms in shared houses, because rent is insane here, hence my thought that I’d be able to fill a niche by offering no compromise size optimised builds.

With that in mind do you think a 3080ti and 12600K in an NR200 would be feasible, power and cooling wise? My own NR200 with a 3080 and 5600X has been absolutely great when it comes to noise and thermals and I’m very experienced with the case now and cable management to make it look attractive. However it looks like the z690 ITX boards are slim pickings and cooler compatibility is generally very bad because of the huge heat sinks and stacked m.2 ports on a lot of the boards. Would I be better off putting the 3080ti in an ATX case and waiting for better ITX options to become available if I manage to get another GPU? Maybe by then AMD will have released Zen 3D and I could build around a b550 board instead, for which the compatibilities are well known and documented.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to decide whether to replace the internals of my Node 304 or build from scratch in an NR200. I have two 3.5inch 4TB drives in a Windows Storage Spaces mirror that I'd like to keep, can't quite figure out the drive mount options in the NR200 and what else they restrict/limit. Current system drive is a 2.5in SATA but would replace that with M.2 so don't need to keep that in there really. Node 304 has nice drive mounting options but the airflow/temps have always been pretty meh.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Tunga posted:

Trying to decide whether to replace the internals of my Node 304 or build from scratch in an NR200. I have two 3.5inch 4TB drives in a Windows Storage Spaces mirror that I'd like to keep, can't quite figure out the drive mount options in the NR200 and what else they restrict/limit. Current system drive is a 2.5in SATA but would replace that with M.2 so don't need to keep that in there really. Node 304 has nice drive mounting options but the airflow/temps have always been pretty meh.

You can officially mount two 2.5" on the front of the case, one 3.5" on the PSU cage (may interfere with side mounted radiators), one 3.5" on the side bracket (will block larger side mounted radiators and vertical GPUs). You could also cram in extras on the bottom of the case and maybe another on the side panel if you have a shorter cpu cooler or mod a top mount rad, but it's getting questionable at that point.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 24, 2022

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ephphatha posted:

You can officially mount two 2.5" on the front of the case, one 3.5" on the PSU cage (may interfere with side mounted radiators), one 3.5" on the side bracket (will block larger side mounted radiators and vertical GPUs). You could also cram in extras on the bottom of the case and maybe another on the side panel if you have a shorter cpu cooler or mod a top mount rad, but it's getting questionable at that point.

Thanks, this was a much better description than any of the spec sheets. I think I'll have a look through those drives and see if I can get rid of them or maybe downsize to a couple of cheap 2.5in drives.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tunga posted:

Thanks, this was a much better description than any of the spec sheets. I think I'll have a look through those drives and see if I can get rid of them or maybe downsize to a couple of cheap 2.5in drives.

Convert the old components in the 304 to a NAS.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I’ve bought an FE 3080ti at RRP with the intention of building a PC and selling it, because the local PC shops in my area charge huge markup and I could undercut them while still making enough of a profit to make it worthwhile for me. Also I enjoyed building my PC last year and I want an excuse to tinker around with parts I don’t have in my own system. My intention was to build ITX PCs because I think there’s a gap in the market here. I see someone else on Facebook marketplace doing exactly what I want to, but with normal ATX cases, and his adverts are always gone after a few days so clearly they’re selling. I live in Luxembourg where there’s a huge amount of young urban professionals with high disposable incomes but small living spaces, either studio apartments or rooms in shared houses, because rent is insane here, hence my thought that I’d be able to fill a niche by offering no compromise size optimised builds.

With that in mind do you think a 3080ti and 12600K in an NR200 would be feasible, power and cooling wise? My own NR200 with a 3080 and 5600X has been absolutely great when it comes to noise and thermals and I’m very experienced with the case now and cable management to make it look attractive. However it looks like the z690 ITX boards are slim pickings and cooler compatibility is generally very bad because of the huge heat sinks and stacked m.2 ports on a lot of the boards. Would I be better off putting the 3080ti in an ATX case and waiting for better ITX options to become available if I manage to get another GPU? Maybe by then AMD will have released Zen 3D and I could build around a b550 board instead, for which the compatibilities are well known and documented.

Are your customers married to Intel? The NR200 can do stupid poo poo cooling wise, that's not your issue. Mount some intakes on the bottom of the case if you're worried--it has the same layout as the Ncase M1 and bottom intakes for an air cooled FE card will probably get you better performance than a comparable ATX case.

I personally don't think I'd build with any of the Intel 11 or 12 series chips unless the board has some killer feature I can't live without. And if you're not overclocking anyway, you're not going to run into heat problems from your chip as long as you're not trying to do something silly like put a Noctua Li-9 on a 10950k.

I can't shake the feeling that there's something I'm missing here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Are your customers married to Intel? The NR200 can do stupid poo poo cooling wise, that's not your issue. Mount some intakes on the bottom of the case if you're worried--it has the same layout as the Ncase M1 and bottom intakes for an air cooled FE card will probably get you better performance than a comparable ATX case.

I personally don't think I'd build with any of the Intel 11 or 12 series chips unless the board has some killer feature I can't live without. And if you're not overclocking anyway, you're not going to run into heat problems from your chip as long as you're not trying to do something silly like put a Noctua Li-9 on a 10950k.

He said he cant get his hands on top tier AMD ITX mobos right now. That said, Z690 mobos are really expensive and there aren't that many using DDR4.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 28, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phanteks' "ultra-fine mesh" metal panels have 1mm hole sizes. Lian Li typically uses 1.5mm, for comparison.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

drat that case looks nice :shobon:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Not sure if it's the right thread for it, but I want to make a HTPC for watching (4K) video and also doubling as my home server. Nextcloud, Jellyfin, and Matrix would be its heaviest tasks.

Would a J5040 board be a good pick? It's fanless, has all the ports I need (4x SATA, HDMI 2.0, SPDIF), and while officially limited to 8GB users report that it can run up to 16GB no problem.

Seems a much better bang for my buck compared to e.g. an i3/Ryzen with a fanless cooler, as long as the Pentium isn't like, hilariously underpowered, or has known issues with HW acceleration for video transcoding.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat

m'ITX :tipshat:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Warmachine posted:

Sorry, it was a rather stream of consciousness post where I was thinking out loud. I'll break it down:

- I want to build an ITX system to sell as that's more of a unique service compared to the other hobbyists building and selling full size PCs around me
- I wanted to build with an Alder Lake chip so I could reasonably market the completed system as having the fastest and most recent tech inside (and also just for the fun of building with Intel as my own system is Zen 3)
- I built my own system in the NR200 a year ago so I know what I'm doing when it comes to cable routing and making it look clean and poo poo
- I didn't want to use an AIO for cooling the CPU because that would mean side mounting it in the NR200 and not being able to use the glass side panel to see any RGB components I might want to put inside, as RGB sells
- Z690 ITX motherboard compatibility sucks with most of the decent air coolers that fit in the NR200

As it is, I've decided that rather than trying to force the NR200, I might push myself and build in the Meshlicious, using the standoff mod to allow more air circulation around the FE 3080ti cooler. AIO compatibility with Z690 ITX boards is better, and the Meshlicious looks good with a couple of RGB fans on the front radiator.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
having a hard time finding good dimensions for RAM. I don't need the crazy server low profile sticks, but I would like to get to under 35mm including heat spreader etc, and a bit lower would be better to slide in under a Alpenfohn Black Ridge. Looks like Corsair LPX and Team T-Force Vulcan T will work; any other thoughts or suggestions? Those both don't seem to be readily available in 3600/16 - can find 3600/18 easily, but not faster timings.

I'm going to chop the heat spreader off my junk oloy ram (36 mm, just a bit too tall!) just to see if it works but if I break it I need a backup.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

having a hard time finding good dimensions for RAM. I don't need the crazy server low profile sticks, but I would like to get to under 35mm including heat spreader etc, and a bit lower would be better to slide in under a Alpenfohn Black Ridge. Looks like Corsair LPX and Team T-Force Vulcan T will work; any other thoughts or suggestions? Those both don't seem to be readily available in 3600/16 - can find 3600/18 easily, but not faster timings.

I'm going to chop the heat spreader off my junk oloy ram (36 mm, just a bit too tall!) just to see if it works but if I break it I need a backup.

I briefly toyed with the idea of buying naked RAM and adding my own aftermarket low profile heat spreader but it was really hard to find what I felt were reliable reviews as to how they performed. That led to a rabbit hole on whether the heat spreaders were even necessary … but then I chickened out and got some LPX. Thank you for hearing my tale of cowardice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If the RAM doesn’t come with a heat spreader it doesn’t need one. And most (all?) RAM that does come with one doesn’t need it either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TwoDeer posted:

I briefly toyed with the idea of buying naked RAM and adding my own aftermarket low profile heat spreader but it was really hard to find what I felt were reliable reviews as to how they performed. That led to a rabbit hole on whether the heat spreaders were even necessary … but then I chickened out and got some LPX. Thank you for hearing my tale of cowardice.

I see you, and support you.

GutBomb posted:

If the RAM doesn’t come with a heat spreader it doesn’t need one. And most (all?) RAM that does come with one doesn’t need it either.

this is generally what I suspect, and it's an open case with good ventilation and will get airflow from the CPU fan so I highly doubt it needs the spreader. I'll go naked and report back :gritin:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is generally what I suspect, and it's an open case with good ventilation and will get airflow from the CPU fan so I highly doubt it needs the spreader. I'll go naked and report back :gritin:

I accidentally popped off one of the heat spreaders when mounting my CPU cooler and the stick hasn't had any issues two years in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to figure out what AIO cooler I could fit on the Asus ROG Z690-I board but it seems like all the good ones have compatibility issues with either the RAM or one of the bits of plastic Asus stuck all over it. I'm guessing the Asus AIOs fit, but they aren't particularly great. Anyone have any other ideas? Not really interested in modding/removing pieces from brand new hardware. This question feels pretty niche but figured I'd ask on the off chance anyone has tackled this.